Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When a winning ticket gets destroyed

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 1 year ago by noise-gate.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #165541
April 12, 2015
544 Posts
Posted: June 16, 2015, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Look at the back of your lottery ticket--there are numbers on the back.  I  have a PB ticket that has the quick picks on the front.  the back of the ticket has 306786808 and 306769809.  You should not post things that you don't know.

Ok I did look and yes there are two seemingly random sequential numbers on the ticket.  So I admit my mistake. 

However are you telling me that the lottery terminals are not only tracking the sales and winning tickets and numbers in the barcodes, but also the association with the number on the reverse?  The reverse side numbers seems to me to be a sort of "lot" number or something.  The number does NOT appear to be printed on the ticket at the time of purchase but rather seems to appear on the reverse side of a blank roll of paper.   Perhaps your are right, I dont really know.  Does the terminal really print on both sides of the ticket? 

If that is the case and they are super tracking, then why is so hard to cancel a mistake ticket once purchased?

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7310 Posts
    Posted: June 16, 2015, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Interesting Read Stack:  Now I want my Lawyer.

You'll need a good attorney if you claim with a trust, but by signing the back of the ticket, you're agreeing to all the lottery rules and regulations and not much a lawyer can change.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4108 Posts
      Posted: June 16, 2015, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

You'll need a good attorney if you claim with a trust, but by signing the back of the ticket, you're agreeing to all the lottery rules and regulations and not much a lawyer can change.

You correct Stack - that is why l most definitely would claim my winnings through a Trust. The beauty of the Trust is that one can designate  a specific amount to be deposited into your checking account every two weeks and thus insulate one from frivolous spending...* in most cases.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: June 17, 2015, 2:12 am - IP Logged

And just maybe .. it will make sense to all of us if we had on record an incident where a winner did not have the Original ticket but presented a copy to the LC and found out what their response was... huh Floyd? After all, what would be the point of making photocopies of any lottery ticket you buy IF you know you not going to be paid out on it?

I stand corrected. I figured the lottery would follow their rules, but I'm sure you can easily convince the lottery that they don't need to follow their rules because you have piece of paper with an image that looks a lot like a lottery ticket.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: June 17, 2015, 2:16 am - IP Logged

Ok I did look and yes there are two seemingly random sequential numbers on the ticket.  So I admit my mistake. 

However are you telling me that the lottery terminals are not only tracking the sales and winning tickets and numbers in the barcodes, but also the association with the number on the reverse?  The reverse side numbers seems to me to be a sort of "lot" number or something.  The number does NOT appear to be printed on the ticket at the time of purchase but rather seems to appear on the reverse side of a blank roll of paper.   Perhaps your are right, I dont really know.  Does the terminal really print on both sides of the ticket? 

If that is the case and they are super tracking, then why is so hard to cancel a mistake ticket once purchased?

Rolls of lottery tickets have stuff printed on both sides before they even get near a lottery terminal. The numbers on the back are a serial number, and I'm pretty sure they're part of the validation process for a ticket that wins a major prize. The lottery may not know the exact serial number that's on the back of any particular ticket, but they'll know about what it is. The spacing of the serial numbers should guarantee that every ticket has at least one serial number, while tickets with multiple sets of numbers may have 2 or 3 serial numbers.

Along with the typical rules saying that you have to present the ticket to claim a prize there are a bunch of other requirements for validating a ticket. The ticket has to have been properly registered with the lottery's central computer, so if there's any kind of mismatch between the ticket and the info recorded in the database you might be SOL. I'd assume that a serial number that's a bit off isn't a problem, but if it's really far off they may suspect the ticket has been forged.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1183 Posts
            Posted: June 17, 2015, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

"Did anyone even hint at stating that the copy of a ticket be better protected than the actual ticket?"

The majority of state lotteries have rules saying "no ticket, no prize" which makes all this mumbo-jumbo about making copies moot. If you know for a fact any lottery will accept copies, show us.

"In the same way that keeping copies of ones SS card in a safe place might be beneficial in the event that something happens to the original, it does not negate keeping the actual card in a safe place as well."

There are lots of SS offices and they will issue you a new card if yours gets destroyed in a Tornado, fire, etc. And the lotteries give you at least 180 days before the ticket expires. Do lotteries accept copies tickets and SS cards too?

God you're an annoying pita. If this topic is mumbo-jumbo to you, why are you here. I'd imagine that there are dozens of other topics on this site which would meet  your lofty standards, and yet here you are instead. Hmm.

The purpose of this discussion is to find out if there is any circumstance where a copy will result in a payout and as such extreme scenarios are warranted since we know simple loss isn't acceptable. 

If they would never under any circumstance payout on a copy, even a notorized one, then the advice about making copies would be moot, now wouldn't it? Is that plain enough for you to get or do I need to break it down further. Funny how everyone else seems to understand the concept except for you. Nitpicking every minute detail so you purposefully can't see the forest for the trees is both tedious and highly unentertaining.

If you can't add something meaningful to this discussion go be antagonistic somewhere else. Every time I post a comment you have to jump in with some snarky remark. I have no idea of what's going on in your life why you feel the need to be such a tool, but I strongly suggest you pop a chill pill or find someone else who'll put up with you.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1183 Posts
              Posted: June 17, 2015, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

I stand corrected. I figured the lottery would follow their rules, but I'm sure you can easily convince the lottery that they don't need to follow their rules because you have piece of paper with an image that looks a lot like a lottery ticket.

Nope, no correction necessary. This is a fact finding mission after all. And your premise makes 100% sense. But...

Have any of you ever been granted something even when you didn't meet all the guidelines or requirements? The publicized rule says one thing but there's an unpublished loophole the public may not know about until that situation arises?

For instance, I was filing a legal document and in bold print and not up for discussion was a requirement to have an original birth certificate. No exceptions and no substitutions, it said. No photocopies. Only the original was destroyed and there was no possible way to get another one issued. But it turns out that even though it states that, and this was a legal issue, they did in fact have allowances that they would make under certain events. But it's not something they let the general public know because they realized the potential for fraud. 

Justin Gatlin should be (and actually was) banned for life from T&F after his second positive for PEDs. And yet, here he is, back on the track and currently the fastest sprinter on the U.S. team. The IAAF rules state in no uncertain terms, 2 PED violations mean automatic lifetime ban, but Gatlin's attorneys got him back due to a loophole.

Before this discussion I had no idea the LC could reprint a damaged ticket if you're able to give them a code. I saw that the winner in AZ claimed anonymously even though that law won't actually take effect until next month. So I have to wonder, if exceptions can be made in some cases, what are the chances that the lottery might make an exception in this case. I'm guessing that if they do, they'd make the winner sign a NDA to curtail that whole slippery slope thing, but still...

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7310 Posts
                Posted: June 17, 2015, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

God you're an annoying pita. If this topic is mumbo-jumbo to you, why are you here. I'd imagine that there are dozens of other topics on this site which would meet  your lofty standards, and yet here you are instead. Hmm.

The purpose of this discussion is to find out if there is any circumstance where a copy will result in a payout and as such extreme scenarios are warranted since we know simple loss isn't acceptable. 

If they would never under any circumstance payout on a copy, even a notorized one, then the advice about making copies would be moot, now wouldn't it? Is that plain enough for you to get or do I need to break it down further. Funny how everyone else seems to understand the concept except for you. Nitpicking every minute detail so you purposefully can't see the forest for the trees is both tedious and highly unentertaining.

If you can't add something meaningful to this discussion go be antagonistic somewhere else. Every time I post a comment you have to jump in with some snarky remark. I have no idea of what's going on in your life why you feel the need to be such a tool, but I strongly suggest you pop a chill pill or find someone else who'll put up with you.

"If this topic is mumbo-jumbo to you, why are you here."

The majority of the remarks you made are either incorrect or flat out wrong and just because you started the topic doesn't make it the truth.

"The purpose of this discussion is to find out if there is any circumstance where a copy will result in a payout and as such extreme scenarios are warranted since we know simple loss isn't acceptable."

Each lottery has their set of rules and regulations and you never showed even one set of rules where your "extreme scenarios" would result in a payoff without a ticket. Tell Walid Aboroomi and/or the Florida Lottery why his "simple loss" isn't acceptable.

Aboroomi told The Tampa Tribune he has a ticket from the lottery machine showing 184 tickets were sold on May 28. But lottery officials told him he must have the tickets to get the cash.

In the next couple of days that story will probably be in the News Forum and give you time to explain why Aboroomi wasn't paid. (hint:FL rules and regs)

"I strongly suggest"

It obviously ticks you off when nobody takes your advice, but that could change if you have any suggestions where to safely store a winning lottery ticket.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: June 19, 2015, 2:18 am - IP Logged

In that case, they still submitted the original ticket.

Where are the stories of the lottery awarding a jackpot based only on a copy?

Last month in Queens, a woman won ~$6000 and even had the claim receipts to prove it. But the clerk never gave her back the ticket (supposedly). Lottery denied her claim because she didn't have the original ticket.

Lotteries will tell you to make copies "for your records." I've never heard one tell you to make copies "so you can claim your prize if you lose the original."

Found this rather Interesting LM..

I have a ticket that I think is a winner, but it won't validate. What do I do?

If you question the result on an instant or live-drawing ticket, sign the back of your original ticket(s), obtain a claim form from any NJ Lottery Retailer and fill it out at the retailer. Then mail the original claim form along with your questionable ticket and the validation receipt in the self-addressed, postage paid envelope provided, to the following address:

New Jersey Lottery
                  Attn: Validations
                  P.O. Box 041
                  Trenton , NJ 08625-0041

You retain a copy of the Claim Form as proof of submission of a ticket. Also, you may want to make a copy of your ticket and Claim Form for your records.

* What would be the Purpose of making a copy of the ticket if in fact it has no value whatsoever?  What If the Original ticket got lost in the mail- do you think they would accept a " copy" of the ticket since you followed their advice?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                    Happyland
                    United States
                    Member #146344
                    September 1, 2013
                    1129 Posts
                    Posted: June 19, 2015, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

If you question the result on an instant or live-drawing ticket, sign the back of your original ticket(s), obtain a claim form from any NJ Lottery Retailer and fill it out at the retailer. Then mail the original claim form along with your questionable ticket and the validation receipt in the self-addressed, postage paid envelope provided, to the following address:

New Jersey Lottery
                    P.O. Box 041
                    Trenton , NJ 08625-0041

You retain a copy of the Claim Form as proof of submission of a ticket. Also, you may want to make a copy of your ticket and Claim Form for your records.

* What would be the Purpose of making a copy of the ticket if in fact it has no value whatsoever?  What If the Original ticket got lost in the mail- do you think they would accept a " copy" of the ticket since you followed their advice?

What If the Original ticket got lost in the mail- do you think they would accept a " copy" of the ticket since you followed their advice?

Interesting post and I think they intentionally leave it ambiguous. You will note that on most, if not all, lottery websites they state that the lottery is not responsibile for tickets lost or stolen in the mail. This implies that they would not accept copies in that case. Usually its advised that the player simply call the lottery if they think they have a winning ticket; there are several identifying features of the ticket that they will be able to validate over the phone.

It's possible that they state all this "advice" to take up space and make the players feel better. Rather than telling them they're screwed if they lose the ticket, which in reality, is reality.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4108 Posts
                      Posted: June 19, 2015, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I guess the FInal answer seems quiet obvious. Since you would have copies of your original ticket, one could simple call the LC and say....

Hello- This is Joe Blow, the reason for my call is that l would like to request a replacement  copy of my ticket. The # 's are 12345678. May l ask "What does your data show in regards to those numbers?

Well , l'll be- those numbers are from the winning $150 mil jackpot..how did you come to know those numbers..SIr?

Well funny you should ask. I am the owner of the original ticket which is no longer in my possession, due to no fault of my own, the original ticket was lost in a house fire, but l was smart enough to make copies of the ticket and l am hoping that you can assist me in bringing this matter to a happy ending.

Not a problem: That's what we here for, btw- will you be interested in giving a press conference and telling you story to the masses who love happy endings , how lucky for you.

Well l prefer not too- could you just make certain that the ticket is in the mail as soon as possible?

Well Sir" this kind of thing has never happened before and l know l speak for the entire LC when l say that the press conference will be brief, in fact it will be painless.

Did you say " Painless".. Have you any idea what is is like losing your home, your belongings... Who is your Supervisor? 

Sorry Sir- I will just take a few more minutes then to take your address down and make sure your ticket is on its way..

Well Good..

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: June 20, 2015, 12:47 am - IP Logged

New Jersey Lottery
                        P.O. Box 041
                        Trenton , NJ 08625-0041

"You retain a copy of the Claim Form as proof of submission of a ticket."

If there's an actual claim form and a ticket you won't need a copy of the claim form. If the original claim form and the ticket are nowhere to be found the only thing the copy of the claim form will prove is that you've got a copy of a claim form.

That alone should tell you something about how much trust you should put in the lottery's advice about making copies.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4108 Posts
                          Posted: June 20, 2015, 11:36 am - IP Logged

If there's an actual claim form and a ticket you won't need a copy of the claim form. If the original claim form and the ticket are nowhere to be found the only thing the copy of the claim form will prove is that you've got a copy of a claim form.

That alone should tell you something about how much trust you should put in the lottery's advice about making copies.

Somehow l get the impression that you implying that there is no way in Hell that the LC would ever pay out Floyd. Someone posted a response saying one can ask for a copy of their lost ticket providing one has the numbers. Perhaps that is the reason they say " make a copy for your records"..

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7310 Posts
                            Posted: June 20, 2015, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

He punched out a ticket from the lottery machine in his store showing 184 tickets were printed out from that machine on that date. He said the store's surveillance system probably shows him making the purchases, but that doesn't go far with state lottery officials. "Florida man"

There is a logical reason state lotteries won't make exceptions for lost, stolen, or destroyed tickets and the above real story is not much different than the scenario presented in this topic. The Florida man didn't make copies of his 184 tickets like in the scenario, but it didn't matter because Florida requires the winning ticket.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7310 Posts
                              Posted: June 20, 2015, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

That advice is for claiming a ticket they think is a winner, but it won't validate. The copies of the claims form and the ticket are useless if the ticket is not a winner.