Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When a winning ticket gets destroyed

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 1 year ago by noise-gate.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4111 Posts
Posted: June 20, 2015, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Regardless Stack : I keep coming back to this post by Zephbe. Since he said it is a True Story, what's stopping the LC from re issuing you the winning ticket?

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
South Carolina
United States
Member #77167
July 15, 2009
152 Posts
Posted: June 15, 2015, 5:40 am - IP LoggedReplyFavorites

True story-a guy in our office pool was making copies of our pool tickets on a printer at his  desk.  One of the original tickets rolled out black on the front.  He called the lottery office and gave them the numbers from the back of the ticket. They re-issued him another ticket-and he lived to see another day--lol

We talking " Game Over Man"..

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7322 Posts
    Posted: June 23, 2015, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Regardless Stack : I keep coming back to this post by Zephbe. Since he said it is a True Story, what's stopping the LC from re issuing you the winning ticket?

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #77167
    July 15, 2009
    152 Posts

True story-a guy in our office pool was making copies of our pool tickets on a printer at his  desk.  One of the original tickets rolled out black on the front.  He called the lottery office and gave them the numbers from the back of the ticket. They re-issued him another ticket-and he lived to see another day--lol

Having a real ticket with numbers on the back is different than claiming the ticket was destroyed. Depending on the rules, it's possible a lottery might accept a copy of a ticket's bar code, but again that begs the question "who would protect the copy better than the real ticket?"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: June 23, 2015, 9:44 am - IP Logged

Having a real ticket with numbers on the back is different than claiming the ticket was destroyed. Depending on the rules, it's possible a lottery might accept a copy of a ticket's bar code, but again that begs the question "who would protect the copy better than the real ticket?"

In a lottery pool where copies were sent to all its members, if the purchaser lost the original a copy sent to a pool member might be the only proof left.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7322 Posts
        Posted: June 23, 2015, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

In a lottery pool where copies were sent to all its members, if the purchaser lost the original a copy sent to a pool member might be the only proof left.

I'm making a copy of my next winning ticket and have the self-serve machine scan the copy. If the bar code shows it's not a winner, we'll know why Lotteries don't accept copies.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3475 Posts
          Posted: June 24, 2015, 3:21 am - IP Logged

Somehow l get the impression that you implying that there is no way in Hell that the LC would ever pay out Floyd. Someone posted a response saying one can ask for a copy of their lost ticket providing one has the numbers. Perhaps that is the reason they say " make a copy for your records"..

I'm not implying anything. I'm simply pointing out that the lotteries tend to have rules requiring the original ticket, that the lotteries tend to follow their rules, and that what appears to be a photocopy of a winning ticket doesn't prove anything that really matters. You're welcome to spend $14 on MM tickets so that you can be sure of having a winning ticket to copy so that you can find out for yourself if they'll accept the copy and give you the prize.

As Stack already noted, there's nothing about replacing a lost ticket. The post claims that a damaged, but partially legible ticket, was replaced. It's possible that the gist of the story is true, but it's an incredibly safe bet that the lottery didn't just send off a new ticket because somebody  "called the lottery office and gave them the numbers from the back of the ticket."   At the very least they would have required that the damaged ticket be presented, which means the story, as it has been told, isn't true. Of course you could always contact the lottery and ask them about replacing a ticket instead of just speculating.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #165541
            April 12, 2015
            545 Posts
            Posted: June 24, 2015, 11:48 am - IP Logged

South Carolina
            United States
            Member #77167
            July 15, 2009
            152 Posts

Noise gate, first of all its frowned upon by employers to have employees wasting paper and ink, in non-work related activity.

Secondly the story claims one of the original tickets rolled out black on the front.One of the original tickets rolled out black on the front

From my vast photocopy experience, you put the ticket on the glass and you lower the cover.  There is no "rolling out".  Now if perhaps the glass was wet, because, somebody spilledd their wine , and the ticket got damaged, now you have something here.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4111 Posts
              Posted: June 24, 2015, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

Noise gate, first of all its frowned upon by employers to have employees wasting paper and ink, in non-work related activity.

Secondly the story claims one of the original tickets rolled out black on the front.One of the original tickets rolled out black on the front

From my vast photocopy experience, you put the ticket on the glass and you lower the cover.  There is no "rolling out".  Now if perhaps the glass was wet, because, somebody spilledd their wine , and the ticket got damaged, now you have something here.

Perhaps that's something Z could explain to you Sir- since l am going off what he claims to be true.l still come back to the " make copies for yourself" statement which by all intended purposes seems to carry some weight- However small. 

****I have a " free replay" on a fantasy 5 ticket Stack & l intend to make a copy of it & see whether the machine accepts it as well. The Proof is in the pudding as they say. 

Peace.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4111 Posts
                Posted: June 24, 2015, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm making a copy of my next winning ticket and have the self-serve machine scan the copy. If the bar code shows it's not a winner, we'll know why Lotteries don't accept copies.

Stack- l could not help holding off satisfying  my curiosity , so less than 5 minutes ago,  l called one of the LC offices out here in the East Bay and flat out asked the person.. " if the Original ticket is lost BUT copies have been made of that ticket, are we up a creek without a paddle? "..and the answer was NO.l asked the female if she could clarity and she said absolutely. According to the LC  " There will be an investigation and based on the Time Stamp on the ticket  & the person who bought the ticket , going off the surveillance footage of the instore cameras, they would be able to identify the person who Originally came into the store and purchased the ticket. She said the person who bought the ticket/tickets would have to be present & identified when a claim is made. So it boils down to Timestamp and a whole lot of luck.....According to the CA lottery.

So there you have it Maestro.