Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

North Carolina powerball winner arrested

Topic closed. 67 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Taurus$.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
Member #9517
December 10, 2004
1272 Posts
Posted: July 26, 2015, 4:00 am - IP Logged

Problem is that it's way too easy for her to win!

Why not buy more tickets instead of drugs, win more jackpots and become a billionaire.

Winners don't need to invest, all they need to do is buy more tickets and keep winning.  Are they not smart enough to realize this?

Too easy? LOL..

If you first win a significant amount of money, they should not be wasted on more gambling.

She can spend 100 million to win, but risk winning only 25 million. Other people might win in the same draw too.

You do not seem smart enough to realize this.

United States
    Member #161539
    December 3, 2014
    328 Posts
    Posted: July 26, 2015, 6:00 am - IP Logged

I went back to read the original "PB Win" story from last Feb ... so I found this one write up and the "facts" from Feb ... makes interesting reading ... it is what it is, then and now.

How Powerball Winner Marie Holmes Celebrated Her $188M Win

Feb 24, 2015, 9:03 AM ET
    By Katie Kindelan
    via Good Morning America

Marie Holmes, the 26-year-old single mother from North Carolina who was one of three $188 million winners of a $564 million jackpot, says she ran outside and screamed when she realized she won.

“I said, ‘We made it!,'" Holmes recalled today on "Good Morning America."

Holmes, of Shallotte, North Carolina, was fixing her children breakfast the day after the Feb. 11, drawing hen she saw the winning numbers on Facebook.

“I just happened to check Facebook and my friend had a post up with the numbers on it so I looked at the numbers and I had my numbers in my hand and I was like these are the same numbers on my ticket,” Holmes said on “GMA.” “Then I started screaming and stuff and my kids ran away from me and said I scared them.”

Holmes said her mom, who purchased the winning ticket for her on her way to church, was the first person she called. Once they double-checked the numbers on her mom’s phone, Holmes had the exact reaction you would imagine a newly-minted multimillionaire would have.

“I started screaming outside,” Holmes said.

While her mom was convinced because she saw the numbers in person, Holmes says the rest of her family did not believe she had won the $564.1 million jackpot, the fifth largest lottery prize in U.S. history.

“I called my sister and I told her…she was like, ‘Stop playing with me. I’m asleep. You didn’t hit the lottery. Send me a picture,’” Holmes said. “So I sent her a picture and then I called my uncle and told him the same thing. He told me, ‘Man I’m at work don’t be playing with me.’”

Holmes had been living with six other people –- including her four children, ages 9 months to 7 years –- prior to her lottery win.

“I don’t have to worry about staying with my mom anymore. I can have my own place,” she said. "We're going to have our own everything."

“They can have their own house and stuff so it’s going to impact not only mine but the people around me," Holmes said of her family.

Holmes accepted a check yesterday for $188 million from North Carolina Education Lottery officials. After taxes are taken out of her lump-sum payment of $127 million, Holmes will take home $87.9 million.

“I still don’t believe it,” Holmes said. “I don’t know when I’m actually going to believe it.”

Holmes says she plans to travel, put away money for her children’s education and use the money to continue her own education in nursing.

She also plans to donate money to her church and to organizations associated with cerebral palsy, the neurological disorder that afflicts her 7-year-old son.

“He can get all the help he needs,” Holmes said of her eldest child. “He gets one-on-one time now but he can get more help.”

And though life will certainly change in some ways for Holmes’s four children, she says she plans to keep things as normal as possible.

“They’re not getting everything they want,” Holmes said. "I was told no so you’re going to get told no. You have got to learn.”

“You’re not going to get everything. I can buy you everything but I’m not,” she said of her lesson to her kids.

In addition to Holmes', the two other tickets - with the numbers 25, 11, 54, 13 and 39, with a Powerball of 19 -- were sold in Puerto Rico and Texas. The odds of winning were about 175 million to one.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: July 26, 2015, 10:23 am - IP Logged

I went back to read the original "PB Win" story from last Feb ... so I found this one write up and the "facts" from Feb ... makes interesting reading ... it is what it is, then and now.

How Powerball Winner Marie Holmes Celebrated Her $188M Win

Feb 24, 2015, 9:03 AM ET
      By Katie Kindelan
      via Good Morning America

Marie Holmes, the 26-year-old single mother from North Carolina who was one of three $188 million winners of a $564 million jackpot, says she ran outside and screamed when she realized she won.

“I said, ‘We made it!,'" Holmes recalled today on "Good Morning America."

Holmes, of Shallotte, North Carolina, was fixing her children breakfast the day after the Feb. 11, drawing hen she saw the winning numbers on Facebook.

“I just happened to check Facebook and my friend had a post up with the numbers on it so I looked at the numbers and I had my numbers in my hand and I was like these are the same numbers on my ticket,” Holmes said on “GMA.” “Then I started screaming and stuff and my kids ran away from me and said I scared them.”

Holmes said her mom, who purchased the winning ticket for her on her way to church, was the first person she called. Once they double-checked the numbers on her mom’s phone, Holmes had the exact reaction you would imagine a newly-minted multimillionaire would have.

“I started screaming outside,” Holmes said.

While her mom was convinced because she saw the numbers in person, Holmes says the rest of her family did not believe she had won the $564.1 million jackpot, the fifth largest lottery prize in U.S. history.

“I called my sister and I told her…she was like, ‘Stop playing with me. I’m asleep. You didn’t hit the lottery. Send me a picture,’” Holmes said. “So I sent her a picture and then I called my uncle and told him the same thing. He told me, ‘Man I’m at work don’t be playing with me.’”

Holmes had been living with six other people –- including her four children, ages 9 months to 7 years –- prior to her lottery win.

“I don’t have to worry about staying with my mom anymore. I can have my own place,” she said. "We're going to have our own everything."

“They can have their own house and stuff so it’s going to impact not only mine but the people around me," Holmes said of her family.

Holmes accepted a check yesterday for $188 million from North Carolina Education Lottery officials. After taxes are taken out of her lump-sum payment of $127 million, Holmes will take home $87.9 million.

“I still don’t believe it,” Holmes said. “I don’t know when I’m actually going to believe it.”

Holmes says she plans to travel, put away money for her children’s education and use the money to continue her own education in nursing.

She also plans to donate money to her church and to organizations associated with cerebral palsy, the neurological disorder that afflicts her 7-year-old son.

“He can get all the help he needs,” Holmes said of her eldest child. “He gets one-on-one time now but he can get more help.”

And though life will certainly change in some ways for Holmes’s four children, she says she plans to keep things as normal as possible.

“They’re not getting everything they want,” Holmes said. "I was told no so you’re going to get told no. You have got to learn.”

“You’re not going to get everything. I can buy you everything but I’m not,” she said of her lesson to her kids.

In addition to Holmes', the two other tickets - with the numbers 25, 11, 54, 13 and 39, with a Powerball of 19 -- were sold in Puerto Rico and Texas. The odds of winning were about 175 million to one.

Thanks for the post CW,
      So this girl stayed with her mother at the time she won, so did she move out or was she still at moms place at the time of the arrest ????

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: July 26, 2015, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Are you paying attention to who you're talking about? Some people think he's a troll, but I'm pretty sure he's sincere but extremely stupid. It's certainly possible that he's got a significant mental illness, too. Whatever his problems are, you could teach a dozen pigs to sing far more easily than you could teach him something a 3 year old could learn in 30 seconds. Hearing anything sensible from him is about as likely as winning powerball without having a ticket.

No, I'm very sane & have a high IQ.

I have had CONFIRMATION from a Mega Millions winner in Illinois that it was way too easy to win.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: July 26, 2015, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I have had CONFIRMATION from a Mega Millions winner in Illinois that it was way too easy to win.

I am sure the difficulty of handing the clerk a playslip and a dollar is what keeps everyone else from winning.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19817 Posts
            Posted: July 26, 2015, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Was that CONFIRMATION from the same person who confirmed you are sane and have a high IQ?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5114 Posts
              Posted: July 26, 2015, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Banana"They can have there own house and $tuff so it's going to impact not only mine, but people around me."   Holmes said of her family. Banana

Holmes admits she can have more $tuff, much more, more and more>>>>>>more $tuff....do U need more "$TUFF? 

Dance    Party   Dance

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Ft. Washington, MD
                United States
                Member #159267
                September 20, 2014
                123 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2015, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Oh l get that, boy do l get that. My point was & still is the fact that since Miss Holmes was accustomed to a certain lifestyle long before she hit it big. To suddenly abandon friends and move in a different direction is extremely hard for some. They need to wean themselves off their former lifestyle & in many cases associates. When l first read her story, l felt good  knowing that  her one child with special needs will be well taken care of moving forward now that  her newfound wealth could ease her concerns & anxieties. I continue to believe that she can and will do right because anything is possible. We all make mistakes & hopefully she can learn from this experience.

Noise Gate and Teddi, both of you are correct in your assumptions. As i have been trying to drive home this point from the beginning of this post. Lets not all jump to crazy conclusions about this situation that Marie Holmes is in. We don't know nothing we cannot see. What's been reported is that she was arrested in a house, so we don't know for sure if that is her house or her moms. Yes she got caught with weed but weed doesn't mean you are like a crack fiend. And do we know if it's hers or not hmmmm? Report says it was found in the house period. I am sure she does have some money stashed away, but she has to learn how to change from what she has always known. I am from the city and i have seen how hard it is for some people to do that.