Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you ever embarrassed that you're not a winner yet?

Topic closed. 67 replies. Last post 1 year ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
A long and winding road
United States
Member #17084
June 10, 2005
4525 Posts
Posted: October 18, 2015, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

No.  It's not embarrassing.  What is both embarrassing and shameful is watching that person at the lotto terminal with a huge stack of slips filled out, getting scratchers like they're pulling toilet paper off the roll.  I spend $1 per draw on MM.  That's it.  The odds of winning are 1:258,890,850.  Since I play twice per week, I'm bound to hit the jackpot ONCE in 129,445,425 weeks.  That's roughly 2.5 million years.  That's my plan.  If I hit, it is dumb luck, nothing more, nothing less.

^^This is true^^.

Most gamblers particularly those addicted to gaming will justify their habit. My response is easy. Its not my money or my business. If anything I turn it into, yup! Keep the system alive... a dollar and a dream is really about as good as it gets. 

There is disappointment in not winning, particularly when investing time and money...its that way in the business world too.

Like you stated Googily, some behaviors are embarrassing in the gaming world. I sat at a slot game one night and watched a person physically slam the machine for not paying them any substantial funds. Foul language seemed second nature. I sat in awe that such a person had no sense of public restraint or regard for others who were there to have fun. Yet that very same person when they are winning is the first to scream like a banshee on how great they are....Where is that greatness when they are losing...? That is the test of a stable person, IMHO. 

Disappointed, naturally. Embarrassed, rarely.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10350 Posts
    Posted: October 19, 2015, 12:39 am - IP Logged

Maybe you needed a little winky emoticon to keep from being offended?  Wink 

I didn't make it "seem like" anything other than what I wrote.  Everyone will die...eventually.   It's up to you bean counters to sort out who, when, where and why.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, d*mned lies, and statistics."

mikeintexas,

Four kinds- you forgot the NFL injury report!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
      Texas Panhandle
      United States
      Member #136843
      December 20, 2012
      1275 Posts
      Posted: October 19, 2015, 1:35 am - IP Logged

mikeintexas,

Four kinds- you forgot the NFL injury report!

Yeah, but teams can be fined for not reporting even minor injuries to the league office.  Back in '94, the Cowboys got fined 10 grand for not reporting Aikman's thumb injury and after that, the team listed every bump and bruise to every player until I think the NFL told them to cut it out.  Dallas was also investigated last year after Romo let slip he had played in several games with a rib injury.

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2015, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Skeptical no amount of money in the known universe could solve your troubles

BS, a good hitter will fix everything for me!  I am 100% certain of that.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40402 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2015, 9:50 am - IP Logged

BS, a good hitter will fix everything for me!  I am 100% certain of that.

What got you into your mess will always keep you in your mess, try learning from your mistakes.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
            Member #168877
            September 20, 2015
            43 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2015, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Never easily offended on this end - not sure what exactly you're referring to.

And I always thought statistics is a lie, until I actually began learning how statistics are performed, mathematically speaking. Although, you also mean that combinations are a hoax in nature such as nCr = n!/(n-r)!r! ---- which I doubt.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
              Texas Panhandle
              United States
              Member #136843
              December 20, 2012
              1275 Posts
              Posted: October 21, 2015, 1:05 am - IP Logged

Never easily offended on this end - not sure what exactly you're referring to.

And I always thought statistics is a lie, until I actually began learning how statistics are performed, mathematically speaking. Although, you also mean that combinations are a hoax in nature such as nCr = n!/(n-r)!r! ---- which I doubt.

There you go again, lying about what I said.  I meant what I meant, no need for you to attempt to read anything else into it.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2015, 4:26 am - IP Logged

What got you into your mess will always keep you in your mess, try learning from your mistakes.

I Agree!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."