Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

8 state lottery websites + Powerball & Mega Millions sites offline

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Taurus$.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
itpmguru's avatar - 42a4d4d8f2a4312fb8e253dd8f6ef251
No Man's Land
United States
Member #164139
February 19, 2015
5461 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2015, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

This morning 8 state lottery websites, plus the Powerball and Mega Millions websites, are all offline.

The reason?  They are all operated by the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL), and I guess one of their servers went offline last night.

It is frankly unbelievable to me that MUSL operates so many state lottery websites (plus two major multi-state lottery sites) and apparently does not have a monitoring service and a 24/7 on-call technician to fix stuff like this when it happens.

Don't get me wrong, every single website in the history of websites has gone offline, including Lottery Post.  Even the Web's biggest sites like Google, Amazon, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, etc., go offline on occasion.  It happens, because technology is never perfect.

For most websites, it's normally a simple matter of rebooting the "hung" server, and in a couple of minutes you're back in business.  A technician can usually do this right from home, so it's not a big deal, but it does require someone to be on-call, and it requires a monitoring service to let someone know the website is offline.

So unless there was some kind of major technology problem with no easy fix last night, people do have a right to be upset about this.  And I'm sure the 8 state lotteries, which right now are all receiving angry e-mails and calls from their state residents, are not too pleased. 

(UPDATE: It is clear that a simple server reboot will not fix whatever the problem is.  They must be experiencing a much larger technology problem.)

The important thing is that MUSL fixes whatever organizational and technology issues it has to ensure that when their servers go down, someone is ready to bring them right back up again.

The eight states affected are:

• Arkansas
  • Connectuicut
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • North Carolina
  • Tennessee

Guess MUSL has never heard of server/site redundancy?!?!  Guess someone has a LOT of 'splainin to do why it has been out so long.  Maybe they had a fire in the D.C., rare, but it can happen.

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2015, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

MUSL, which manages PB/MM and certain state lotteries, has been hacked !!!  They won't tell anyone though !!!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2015, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Idaho's Pick 3 hasn't been updated for the 2 pm draw.  Does this site get it from the Idaho Lottery website?

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
        Member #106923
        February 27, 2011
        476 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2015, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Apparently the problem is not an easy reboot of a server, because the websites are all still offline.  Must be a really crazy problem.

To those mentioning other lottery websites that are ONLINE — the problem affects the seven state lotteries plus the Powerball and Mega Millions websites I mentioned in my first post.  It does not affect every state lottery, just the state lotteries that apparently outsource their web hosting to MUSL.

What really is up?  I mean, even a simple 404 page from another server, but a dead connect?  Something is terribly amiss.  Unfortunately we will probably never know the real truth.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2015, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

This morning 8 state lottery websites, plus the Powerball and Mega Millions websites, are all offline.

The reason?  They are all operated by the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL), and I guess one of their servers went offline last night.

It is frankly unbelievable to me that MUSL operates so many state lottery websites (plus two major multi-state lottery sites) and apparently does not have a monitoring service and a 24/7 on-call technician to fix stuff like this when it happens.

Don't get me wrong, every single website in the history of websites has gone offline, including Lottery Post.  Even the Web's biggest sites like Google, Amazon, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, etc., go offline on occasion.  It happens, because technology is never perfect.

For most websites, it's normally a simple matter of rebooting the "hung" server, and in a couple of minutes you're back in business.  A technician can usually do this right from home, so it's not a big deal, but it does require someone to be on-call, and it requires a monitoring service to let someone know the website is offline.

So unless there was some kind of major technology problem with no easy fix last night, people do have a right to be upset about this.  And I'm sure the 8 state lotteries, which right now are all receiving angry e-mails and calls from their state residents, are not too pleased. 

(UPDATE: It is clear that a simple server reboot will not fix whatever the problem is.  They must be experiencing a much larger technology problem.)

The important thing is that MUSL fixes whatever organizational and technology issues it has to ensure that when their servers go down, someone is ready to bring them right back up again.

• Arkansas
          • Connectuicut
          • Idaho
          • Iowa
          • Kansas
          • Louisiana
          • North Carolina
          • Tennessee

"It is frankly unbelievable to me that MUSL operates so many state lottery websites (plus two major multi-state lottery sites) and apparently does not have a monitoring service and a 24/7 on-call technician to fix stuff like this when it happens."

I believe it, considering they have a pretty small IT team. Anyone who has visited MUSL's website (frontend and lotteries' portal) can see that they don't put a lot of effort into its design. The lotteries' portal is down also, Saturday's jackpot estimates had to be faxed to everyone. The affected lotteries are not happy, I have even seen a few complain on their own Facebook pages LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3157 Posts
            Posted: October 24, 2015, 1:10 am - IP Logged

If they couldn't sell tickets it would be fixed in a few hours.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23260 Posts
              Posted: October 24, 2015, 9:38 am - IP Logged

MUSL, which manages PB/MM and certain state lotteries, has been hacked !!!  They won't tell anyone though !!!

You know this how?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49686 Posts
                Posted: October 24, 2015, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Idaho's Pick 3 hasn't been updated for the 2 pm draw.  Does this site get it from the Idaho Lottery website?

Idaho hasn't Twittered the Drawing Results either! Thud

Are the Idaho Lottery Terminals Working? If they are is someone going to get Yesterdays Numbers?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Wyomissing, PA
                  United States
                  Member #161050
                  November 15, 2014
                  301 Posts
                  Posted: October 24, 2015, 10:29 am - IP Logged

"It is frankly unbelievable to me that MUSL operates so many state lottery websites (plus two major multi-state lottery sites) and apparently does not have a monitoring service and a 24/7 on-call technician to fix stuff like this when it happens."

I believe it, considering they have a pretty small IT team. Anyone who has visited MUSL's website (frontend and lotteries' portal) can see that they don't put a lot of effort into its design. The lotteries' portal is down also, Saturday's jackpot estimates had to be faxed to everyone. The affected lotteries are not happy, I have even seen a few complain on their own Facebook pages LOL

Still down after an entire day. Crazy!

And to think lotteries want us to trust their computer randomizers. Yikes! Those who overly analyze drawings may be more right than I'd thought. While analyzing truly random drawings is an effort in futility, deeply analyzing less-than-random drawings can be a worthwhile effort to catch flaws / take advantage and profit.

There has seemingly been very little press about so many lottery websites being down for over a day. Why hasn't MUSL posted a public notice, put out a press release, etc. Instead nothing. My guess is the outage is related to backdoors / security issues in their computer systems - that would certainly explain the abrupt, extended server outages and lack of any real detail as to what's going on. Does anyone here know more about what's happening...

What I know for sure, is I'm steering clear of Mega Millions and Powerball for the foreseeable future. I'd hate to play in a drawing that's already fixed, as already occurred with Hot Lotto.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                    Happyland
                    United States
                    Member #146344
                    September 1, 2013
                    1129 Posts
                    Posted: October 24, 2015, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I've heard that it's an ISP issue, not a MUSL issue. You can have the best server in the world but if it cannot access the WWW then it's useless.

Of course, what I've heard could just be a ruse.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

New Providence
                      Bahamas
                      Member #98741
                      October 13, 2010
                      420 Posts
                      Posted: October 24, 2015, 11:03 am - IP Logged

• Arkansas
                      • Connectuicut
                      • Idaho
                      • Iowa
                      • Kansas
                      • Louisiana
                      • North Carolina
                      • Tennessee

What about Iowa?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23260 Posts
                        Posted: October 24, 2015, 11:27 am - IP Logged

What about Iowa?

I must have had a brain lock -- I've added it to the list, thanks.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4105 Posts
                          Posted: October 24, 2015, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

l was and am surprised that our resident Conspiratorial members of LP have not suggested that there is mischief afoot given that the " States that always win" namely NJ,CA,FL,NY have & were not affected by the lottery " Blackout."

Oh the Horror.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                            Member #106923
                            February 27, 2011
                            476 Posts
                            Posted: October 24, 2015, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

l was and am surprised that our resident Conspiratorial members of LP have not suggested that there is mischief afoot given that the " States that always win" namely NJ,CA,FL,NY have & were not affected by the lottery " Blackout."

Oh the Horror.

You are not thinking correctly Noise-gate.  States down because of the "blackout" are off the grid, therefore unknown to the "live" computer mainframes, hence the active States.  Therefore the States not affected are actually the only States that have a possibility to win, i.e. the "States that always win".  I hope this clears up the confusion you were experiencing.

Green laugh

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4105 Posts
                              Posted: October 24, 2015, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

You are not thinking correctly Noise-gate.  States down because of the "blackout" are off the grid, therefore unknown to the "live" computer mainframes, hence the active States.  Therefore the States not affected are actually the only States that have a possibility to win, i.e. the "States that always win".  I hope this clears up the confusion you were experiencing.

Green laugh

Yes it does. You have my Thanks.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.