Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

8 state lottery websites + Powerball & Mega Millions sites offline

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Taurus$.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3501 Posts
Posted: October 24, 2015, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

I've heard that it's an ISP issue, not a MUSL issue. You can have the best server in the world but if it cannot access the WWW then it's useless.

Of course, what I've heard could just be a ruse.

What kind of an ISP issue could that be? A squirrel chewed through their coax cable and the ISP won't be there to fix it until some time between 8 and noon on Monday?

The only thing that turns up on Google News are a couple of very short articles about the NC lottery's website being down; they both refer to a "network provider issue". Without info about what that issue is that doesn't tell us anything, and given the usual reliability of news reports it could be a problem with MUSL's own network, the company that connects them to everyone else (and they certainly don't really have a simple coax cable from Comcast or Time Warner like most of us), or who knows what else.

I don't know just how much traffic all of the sites generate, but it's certainly substantial. I can't imagine what kind of a problem would keep them down that long without also affecting a lot of other sites or a lot of other people. I also find it hard to believe that they'd have any trouble having people looking into it shortly after the problem started. That leads me to wonder how they have things set up that they haven't even gotten a bare bones site up and running in the meantime. Uploading the entire website might take some time, but they could transfer domains, write a couple of simple pages, and have a working site on 1and1 or GoDaddy in an hour.

Of course you need a reliable website to put on the (new) servers. Maybe Eddie Tipton left behind another rootkit that wiped out all of their data when he didn't check in on time.

Wyomissing, PA
    United States
    Member #161050
    November 15, 2014
    301 Posts
    Posted: October 24, 2015, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

The amount of traffic to lottery websites is relatively tiny compared to even smallish popular websites which feature lots of video and interactive multimedia. Serving mostly static pages doesn't take much resources. Heck, when PA Lottery is overloaded, they switch to showing a simple static webpage. Why hasn't MUSL?...

My hunch, to echo that of some others here, the downtime is security related. Sudden shutdown with little to no explanation is worrisome. Maybe MUSL websites were hacked to ribbons, including network credentials, which could explain the long delay in restoration; auditing programs and reinstalling can take much time, especially for those not prepared for it.

On the bright side, now I have another reason to avoid the temptation of playing Powerball and Mega Millions. Instead I'll stick with in-state games. PA Lottery isn't perfect, but I trust them far more than MUSL. Hopefully, MUSL explains what happened in detail, but not holding my breath - it will likely be some puff PR release devoid of any real detail. But maybe they'll step up their game and be more transparent. Time will tell.

gra8*2win's avatar - spherewall
      williamson county
      United States
      Member #119081
      November 14, 2011
      2825 Posts
      Posted: October 24, 2015, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

Tennessee still down. Not a trustworthy organization. And no mention of a problem anywhere locally.

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails

grwurston's avatar - 144
        Let's Go Rangers!!!
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        5126 Posts
        Posted: October 24, 2015, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

l was and am surprised that our resident Conspiratorial members of LP have not suggested that there is mischief afoot given that the " States that always win" namely NJ,CA,FL,NY have & were not affected by the lottery " Blackout."

Oh the Horror.

Gail Howard cracked the code many years ago and she agreed to keep it secret until her passing. It was also agreed that the code would then be made public. MUSL is now freaking out.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5145 Posts
          Posted: October 24, 2015, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

WILL the lottery PR person step-UP to mike "PLEASE".................Bat  Bang Head Cussing Face  Bat

When 8 states and two major lottery organizations "bite D dust" EVEN, a psyko could let a press release get loose too the public and their loyal players!!

Timing was not the best for Mega Million or Powerball so why DID they allow ticket SELLS on Friday or this Saturday to take place with no EXPLAIN?

In 2015, if you can't TRUST the LOTTERY COMMISSION................... ..."WHO CAN WE TRUST"  ??????????????????????????????????????

Wyomissing, PA
            United States
            Member #161050
            November 15, 2014
            301 Posts
            Posted: October 24, 2015, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Another possibility is the government seized MUSL servers due to an investigation; maybe related to the Hot Lotto drawing fix scheme. From other government seizures I recall (sites selling illicit drugs, movie trading sites, etc), that's not unheard of. The authorities conduct a raid(s), pull the plug, so to speak, and seize everything computer related. That could explain the lack of notice nor press releases; MUSL staying suspiciously mum.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: October 24, 2015, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Idaho hasn't Twittered the Drawing Results either! Thud

Are the Idaho Lottery Terminals Working? If they are is someone going to get Yesterdays Numbers?

Well, I don't know where Todd found them, but yesterday's Pick 3 results are posted, but the 2PM draw for today isn't up yet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23351 Posts
                Posted: October 24, 2015, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Well, I don't know where Todd found them, but yesterday's Pick 3 results are posted, but the 2PM draw for today isn't up yet.

It's up now.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4146 Posts
                  Posted: October 24, 2015, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Gail Howard cracked the code many years ago and she agreed to keep it secret until her passing. It was also agreed that the code would then be made public. MUSL is now freaking out.

Your post has a two part statement- first you state " She cracked the code"- code on what, pray tell.Second : she agreed to keep this secret until her passing. Well, a poster in LP has suggested that she did pass, which has not be confirmed.Third: If the MUSL is freaking out as you say, that freakiness doesn't not seem to be affecting the majority of the other lottery playing States, it's all calm & peaceful in this neck of the woods may l add. Is  Gail alive or is she in the boneyard or urn? This is all very confusing, if you get my drift G.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

grwurston's avatar - 144
                    Let's Go Rangers!!!
                    bel air maryland
                    United States
                    Member #90251
                    April 24, 2010
                    5126 Posts
                    Posted: October 24, 2015, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Your post has a two part statement- first you state " She cracked the code"- code on what, pray tell.Second : she agreed to keep this secret until her passing. Well, a poster in LP has suggested that she did pass, which has not be confirmed.Third: If the MUSL is freaking out as you say, that freakiness doesn't not seem to be affecting the majority of the other lottery playing States, it's all calm & peaceful in this neck of the woods may l add. Is  Gail alive or is she in the boneyard or urn? This is all very confusing, if you get my drift G.

The lottery code for predicting the winning JP numbers.  Sounds like a good theory to me.

(Actually, I just made it up.)  Green laugh

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23351 Posts
                      Posted: October 24, 2015, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

Looks like the lottery servers are starting to come back online, although some still have errors (like the Powerball site), and all have not been updated since Thursday.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4146 Posts
                        Posted: October 24, 2015, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

The lottery code for predicting the winning JP numbers.  Sounds like a good theory to me.

(Actually, I just made it up.)  Green laugh

As Sherlock would say " We talking about a theory my Dear Watson."

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4146 Posts
                          Posted: October 24, 2015, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Looks like the lottery servers are starting to come back online, although some still have errors (like the Powerball site), and all have not been updated since Thursday.

Just a thought Maestro : Is it possible that we could see a Record cash haul for tonight's game?

grwurston's avatar - 144
                            Let's Go Rangers!!!
                            bel air maryland
                            United States
                            Member #90251
                            April 24, 2010
                            5126 Posts
                            Posted: October 24, 2015, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

As Sherlock would say " We talking about a theory my Dear Watson."

From the Smart Luck site:

Remembering Gail Howard

Gail Howard Memorial

Gail Howard, the remarkable founder of Smart Luck, passed away from cancer recently. She lived a long and exciting life of 80 years, accomplished so much, and will be missed by so many. Mastering the stock market, traveling the world, helping people become millionaires, and more: Gail Howard strived to live her life to the fullest.

We would like to assure you that Smart Luck is still in good hands, and we will continue normal operations so that Gail Howard's legacy will live on as she wished. Thank you for your continued support.

Gail Howard wrote this farewell letter to her fans on September 22, 2015.

Dear Smart Luck fans,

It has been my pleasure to work with you and meet so many of you during my many years at the Smart Luck helm, but it is time for me to say farewell. I would like to say thank you to all of my fans, to those of you who have been there from the beginning and are still by my side today and also to those of you who are new to Smart Luck lottery systems.

My business, Smart Luck, will be continued through the trusted members of the Hicks family. Joe and his family built our software and website and have worked hand in hand with me for the past 25 years helping me to develop and grow Smart Luck. We are so proud of the Smart Luck products that we have created together. Rest assured that the business and our Smart Luck products will continue to grow and evolve with the same level of dedication that we have always given them. Though I may not be active in the business, Smart Luck has a strong world wide legacy and your continued participation is important.

It is you, our loyal fans, to whom we really owe our success. Without your suggestions, your support, your love and your willingness to share with us your Lottery Success Stories, we could not have made our Smart Luck products the most successful lottery systems that are used around the world today.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your love and support over the years. I wish all of you the very best luck in the world using Smart Luck�not dumb luck to greatly increase your chances of achieving life-changing lottery wins.

My memoir is out, and I would love it if you would share my adventures with me:
                            �Born for Adventure: The World of the Sixties was My Stage (Volume 1)
                            �Born For Adventure: World Travel Danger and Romance in the Sixties (Volume 2)

I love you all very much and will miss you.

Gail Howard

Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #76087
                              June 18, 2009
                              859 Posts
                              Posted: October 24, 2015, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Oh!  They're back up again!  Well it's about time... just in time for Saturday night.  That was quite the inconvenient down-time.  I've had to ask cashiers for winning numbers on Pick 3.

(I'm in Idaho.)

La Maga Della Spaziometria