Welcome Guest
You last visited October 22, 2017, 10:31 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PA Raffle Countdown

Topic closed. 58 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Jeopardy1941.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: November 6, 2015, 6:35 am - IP Logged

An observation from the raffle that just ended ... I finally got around to actually checking my numbers. I had scanned the tickets on Monday but never checked my numbers against the winning list of numbers ... to see how "close" any of my tickets might have been to one of the eight large winning tickets.

None of my tickets were close to any large prize ... however, it seems again that those that bought last minute tickets on Oct 31st ... just hours before the drawing had a shot at several large prizes.

I decided on the last day to buy one last ticket ... so I went to a terminal and at 9:12am I bought my last ticket on Oct 31st.

The number on my ticket was 323979 ... these are the winning tickets for the large prizes.

$1,000,000 Winners

00352625 xxx

$100,000 Winners

00340911 xxx
00353216 xxx

You can see that out of the eight tickets ... there were three winning tickets purchased after I bought my ticket at 9:12am ... I marked them with xxx.

So what does it mean? ... really nothing except that from now on I will be buying my tickets on the very last day of every raffle ... and later in the day also.

So you say ... maybe next time there will be no large winning tickets that were bought on the last day. Fine, it could happen but from now I am gambling only on the last day with raffle tickets.

So now I wait till Jan 2nd to buy two tickets ... no more buying a lot of tickets, just two. I pumped enough money into this last raffle and won nothing ... I was thinking (hind sight) I could have bought a $300 book of scratch off tickets and would have won something.

So am I mad? ... probably, but it's gambling ... what I do hope is that I'm a little wiser for the next raffle, only buying two tickets and maybe a book of scratch off tickets.

I will probably still be a loser in the end ... just not a complete loser !

As I said ... just an observation in "hind sight" on my end.

CW

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    4120 Posts
    Posted: November 6, 2015, 8:22 am - IP Logged

An observation from the raffle that just ended ... I finally got around to actually checking my numbers. I had scanned the tickets on Monday but never checked my numbers against the winning list of numbers ... to see how "close" any of my tickets might have been to one of the eight large winning tickets.

None of my tickets were close to any large prize ... however, it seems again that those that bought last minute tickets on Oct 31st ... just hours before the drawing had a shot at several large prizes.

I decided on the last day to buy one last ticket ... so I went to a terminal and at 9:12am I bought my last ticket on Oct 31st.

The number on my ticket was 323979 ... these are the winning tickets for the large prizes.

$1,000,000 Winners

00352625 xxx

$100,000 Winners

00340911 xxx
    00353216 xxx

You can see that out of the eight tickets ... there were three winning tickets purchased after I bought my ticket at 9:12am ... I marked them with xxx.

So what does it mean? ... really nothing except that from now on I will be buying my tickets on the very last day of every raffle ... and later in the day also.

So you say ... maybe next time there will be no large winning tickets that were bought on the last day. Fine, it could happen but from now I am gambling only on the last day with raffle tickets.

So now I wait till Jan 2nd to buy two tickets ... no more buying a lot of tickets, just two. I pumped enough money into this last raffle and won nothing ... I was thinking (hind sight) I could have bought a $300 book of scratch off tickets and would have won something.

So am I mad? ... probably, but it's gambling ... what I do hope is that I'm a little wiser for the next raffle, only buying two tickets and maybe a book of scratch off tickets.

I will probably still be a loser in the end ... just not a complete loser !

As I said ... just an observation in "hind sight" on my end.

CW

Good input CW, and as crazy as thus may sound, I may do the same thing with a group of 8 tickets that I'm planning to buy for the next raffle.

Because I have to drive about an hour to buy them, if the weather's not good, seven guys might not be too happy with me.  But then, I will have the 20 bucks each of them gave me to hand back to them, so that might take the sting out of it.  And I could always tell them up front what I'm planning to do, and explain to them it's all contingent upon the weather, and that they'd be getting their 20 bucks back.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Wyomissing, PA
      United States
      Member #161050
      November 15, 2014
      419 Posts
      Posted: November 6, 2015, 8:41 am - IP Logged

Noticed that late winning cluster, but didn't realize how late in the raffle those tickets were purchased until you pointed it out. My 3 tickets weren't that close, though one was within shooting distance of the $1 million; 65xxx, 202xxx, 281xxx. Spreading out the purchases isn't a bad approach for those, like me, who only bought a few tickets. However, for players wagering more heavily, buying mostly near the end, based on past results of many PA raffles, is the better approach.

While PA Lottery doesn't publish any guarantees for packs, on a $300 pack of instant tickets, you'd most likely have won about $140 or so, with the possibility of winning much more. In short, for many, spending $300 on a pack of instants would be a better play than spending the same on the raffle.

Pa
        United States
        Member #162117
        December 22, 2014
        125 Posts
        Posted: November 10, 2015, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Saw the tickets went on sale already for the next raffle for the drawing on Jan 2.  Only 11 days between the end of the last drawing and the start of the new one.  I think this one will sell out this time.  Can imagine why anyone would buy tickets this early.

NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          4120 Posts
          Posted: November 11, 2015, 5:14 am - IP Logged

Saw the tickets went on sale already for the next raffle for the drawing on Jan 2.  Only 11 days between the end of the last drawing and the start of the new one.  I think this one will sell out this time.  Can imagine why anyone would buy tickets this early.

I agree, I cant see why they wouldn't sell out, especially with Christmas in the sales cycle.

I agree too, it's way too early to buy.  January 2nd is a Saturday.  I'm waiting until that day in the afternoon to buy mine. If it looks like they'll sell out sooner, then I'll buy mine sooner. The problem for me with that, is that I live in New York State, about an hours drive to PA.  So I rely on the terrific folks who post here to tell everyone what ticket numbers are selling on what dates.

I *think* the PA Lottery used to have something on their website that gave some indication of either how many tickets had sold, or are still available.  I don't believe they did that for the Halloween Raffle.  Am I right that they have done it in past raffles, anybody know?  Of course, nothing says they'll do it for the January 2nd raffle.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Pa
            United States
            Member #162117
            December 22, 2014
            125 Posts
            Posted: November 11, 2015, 6:17 am - IP Logged

I agree, I cant see why they wouldn't sell out, especially with Christmas in the sales cycle.

I agree too, it's way too early to buy.  January 2nd is a Saturday.  I'm waiting until that day in the afternoon to buy mine. If it looks like they'll sell out sooner, then I'll buy mine sooner. The problem for me with that, is that I live in New York State, about an hours drive to PA.  So I rely on the terrific folks who post here to tell everyone what ticket numbers are selling on what dates.

I *think* the PA Lottery used to have something on their website that gave some indication of either how many tickets had sold, or are still available.  I don't believe they did that for the Halloween Raffle.  Am I right that they have done it in past raffles, anybody know?  Of course, nothing says they'll do it for the January 2nd raffle.  G5

The PA lottery website always had a countdown, except for the last one.  They were probably too embarrassed to do one since the sales were so weak. Probably by the week of Christmas they will post the countdown. Just be careful if timing buying on the last day, they can sell up to 40K tickets in that day. I will certainly be cutting back on this one, I wont be buying as many as the last raffle.

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              4120 Posts
              Posted: November 11, 2015, 7:56 am - IP Logged

The PA lottery website always had a countdown, except for the last one.  They were probably too embarrassed to do one since the sales were so weak. Probably by the week of Christmas they will post the countdown. Just be careful if timing buying on the last day, they can sell up to 40K tickets in that day. I will certainly be cutting back on this one, I wont be buying as many as the last raffle.

Thanks for your input!   Good advice!

About your post about tickets going on sale for the New Years raffle 11 days after the Halloween Raffle ended, here's something I thought about with regard to that;

I have to believe that The PA Lottery did NOT make a whimsical decision to offer four raffles per year.  My guess is that they may have even paid for a professional study or marketing analysis to be done so as to determine whether it was a good idea (or not) to do it.  They may even have been expecting the Halloween raffle not to sell out.  Although I'm just one player, there's no way in Hell right now, that I'm buying ANY raffle tickets 11 days after I just shelled out $140 for seven tickets for the 10/31/15 raffle.  So I dunno, are players really going to go for buying raffle tickets again so soon after a raffle just ended?  I guess time holds the answer to that question.     

To clarify a bit, I run a pool of 8 guys at work, and we got in the 2015 New Years and July 4th raffles.  When I heard about the Halloween raffle, and the shift to four raffles per year, at first, I said nothing to the 7 other guys about it, and planned to buy tickets for it only for myself.  I felt 40 bucks is too much to be bugging the guys for four times per year. (It's bad enough bugging them for 40 bucks for two raffles per year!) Later, one of the guys in the pool heard about the Halloween raffle, and asked me if I was running a pool for it.  I told him no, but that I was going to buy some tickets for myself.  So he gave me 40 bucks asked me to buy two for him, and I agreed to do it.  I told one other guy in the pool about what I was doing, and he gave me 20 bucks and asked me to buy him a ticket, which I did. 

Now that November is here, I sent an email to everybody in the pool last week, and told them I would be collecting 20 bucks in late November, and again a second time just before Christmas.  I also told them that I was planning to buy our tickets on January 2nd.  I didn't mention the Halloween Raffle in my email, even though two of the guys that I sent the email to know about it. I'm not going to run a pool for all four raffles. I still think it's too much to bug the guys for, and I don't want the extra work either. I'll stick with buying the pool tickets twice a year.  Maybe, and I do mean maybe, I'll get tickets for myself for the other two raffles.  That's if PA doesn't revert back to two per year.  If I do buy tickets for the other two raffles, I too will be cutting back.  There's no way I'll spend $140 bucks like I did with The Halloween raffle.  G5

NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                4120 Posts
                Posted: November 16, 2015, 5:24 am - IP Logged

Bumping this thread to the top of the forum so the Florida Raffle folks can find it fast!  G5

NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  4120 Posts
                  Posted: November 30, 2015, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Anybody got any ticket numbers for The New Years raffle that they'd care to share?  Trying to get a feel for ticket sales early on.  Thanks. G5 

RedStang's avatar - laughing chimp.gif
                    NY
                    United States
                    Member #121961
                    January 21, 2012
                    3163 Posts
                    Posted: November 30, 2015, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Their around 51k. I couldn't resist and got 2 since i was going through Pa. What's got me worried is somehow i got 01 and 03. 

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      4120 Posts
                      Posted: December 1, 2015, 7:27 am - IP Logged

Their around 51k. I couldn't resist and got 2 since i was going through Pa. What's got me worried is somehow i got 01 and 03. 

Thanks 'Stang!

Not a big deal on your ticket numbers.  That's happened to me before. (More than once too, I might add. It's happened to me in Connecticut as well as Pa.  BTW, have you noticed there are no Ct SuperDraw tickets this year?)

What happened to you is that at the same exact moment that you were buying your tickets, someone else bought a ticket, but their transaction was processed by the computer a split second ahead of your second ticket.  They got ticket number 02 and you got 03.   Or.... are you worried that ticket number 02 will be a million dollar winner????  That would suck, wouldn't it!!!!  I've no idea if that kind of thing has ever happened anywhere before, but it's entirely possible.  I'm inclined to think something like that would have made the newspapers if it had happened.  Maybe not though.  Maybe they didn't want some poor guy to feel real bad....  I dunno.  Your guess is as good as mine! 

As for me and my guys at work, I'm collecting money this week for our first set of eight tickets. I'll probably be heading over to Pa next weekend to buy them.  G5 

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        23420 Posts
                        Posted: December 1, 2015, 11:50 am - IP Logged

It's too much.

PA has gone overboard. Raffles 4 times per year is dumb...they just released new instant tickets too this month...that's on the heels

of the Christmas tickets...they can keep their raffle tickets. I hope this one doesn't sell out either, they may reconsider making

it special again. 4 times per year isn't special....or exciting. As a matter of fact, it hasn't been special or exciting for the last few times

they've run it. $20 a pop is much better spent on a daily 1 x $20 straight or an instant ticket.

Gl to all that play though I refuse to be one of them. I got 2 last time...I'll get zero this time.

26 38 12 10 75 - 122 100 101 133 144 188 - 1207 1009 4901 2319

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          4120 Posts
                          Posted: December 3, 2015, 7:32 am - IP Logged

Anybody got any ticket numbers?   Thanks!  G5

Pa
                            United States
                            Member #162117
                            December 22, 2014
                            125 Posts
                            Posted: December 10, 2015, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

Anybody got any ticket numbers?   Thanks!  G5

94K sold as of this AM, 23 days remaining.