Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

whats the deal with Chino Hills Powerball winner?

Topic closed. 83 replies. Last post 4 months ago by Rexer90.

Page 4 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3475 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2016, 12:23 am - IP Logged

The CA lottery and the media are starting to get curious, but it looks like the lottery probably won't  be using a picture to out the winner:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-powerball-chino-hills-ticket-mystery-winner-20160701-snap-story.html

grwurston's avatar - 144
    Let's Go Rangers!!!
    bel air maryland
    United States
    Member #90251
    April 24, 2010
    4879 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2016, 1:43 am - IP Logged

The CA lottery and the media are starting to get curious, but it looks like the lottery probably won't  be using a picture to out the winner:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-powerball-chino-hills-ticket-mystery-winner-20160701-snap-story.html

The ticket owner is someone who never plays the lottery except when the jackpots are high and checked the wrong drawing. They thought it was a loser and threw it out.

The ticket owner was mugged before the drawing took place. The thief took the cash and credit cards and threw the wallet with the ticket in a dumpster some where.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1522 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2016, 11:10 am - IP Logged

The winner lives in Chino Hills. A very wealthy community so the winner will be patient. The winner does not need the extra dough.Conehead

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Salt Lake City, UT
        United States
        Member #175535
        June 21, 2016
        11 Posts
        Posted: July 8, 2016, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Or they are waiting to legally change their name, grow a beard and hair, claim the ticket under that guise, then change back after.   JK.

It sucks.  I hope the winner finds his/her ticket.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
          USA
          United States
          Member #152799
          February 25, 2014
          1094 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2016, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I heard the winning couple finally claimed their prize,

United States
            Member #169911
            November 6, 2015
            57 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2016, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

The couple came forward Marvin and Mae Acosta.  They choose not to do a press conference and have setup a trust.  I'm not sure how they pick there numbers maybe quick pick.  Congrats to them. 

Romancandle's avatar - moon
              Upacreek
              United States
              Member #136306
              December 8, 2012
              429 Posts
              Posted: July 19, 2016, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Wow... They took six months to come forward... Got their ducks in a row... Good for them!

-RC

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                Member #164603
                March 8, 2015
                614 Posts
                Posted: July 19, 2016, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

The couple came forward Marvin and Mae Acosta.  They choose not to do a press conference and have setup a trust.  I'm not sure how they pick there numbers maybe quick pick.  Congrats to them. 

Smart choices.

LA Ca.
                  United States
                  Member #172750
                  February 3, 2016
                  89 Posts
                  Posted: July 19, 2016, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Good timing, media is full of the GOP & Dem Convention political circus.

United States
                    Member #170707
                    December 13, 2015
                    185 Posts
                    Posted: July 19, 2016, 4:18 pm - IP Logged
                    • California Couple Claims Prize in Record Powerball Jackpot
                    • By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
                    SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Jul 19, 2016, 2:32 PM ET

A California couple has claimed a $528.8 million share of a record Powerball jackpot from January and pledged to give much of it to charity.

Flanked by security, Marvin and Mae Acosta went to a state lottery office in Van Nuys on Friday to claim their winnings from the record $1.6 billion Powerball drawing, lottery officials disclosed Tuesday.

In a statement, the Acostas said they are dedicating nearly all of the prize money to a trust and charities.

"We are thankful and blessed for the rare gift that has been placed in our care," the statement said.

Traverso described the Acostas as a younger couple with two children. No additional details were released because they requested privacy.

The couple will take their winnings in a cash option totaling $327.8 million before federal taxes, lottery officials said.

The Acostas bought their ticket six months ago at a 7-Eleven in Chino Hills, California, about 35 miles east of Los Angeles. It was one of three winning tickets sold for the Jan. 13 drawing. Winners in Florida and Tennessee came forward within days to claim their prize money.

Word that one of the winning tickets was sold in California brought excited crowds to the 7-Eleven in Chino Hills, a normally quiet community of 77,000 people nestled among rolling hills.

Gawkers crowded the store and parking lot, mugging for TV cameras. Some chanted "Chino Hills! Chino Hills!" in celebration of the city's sudden celebrity.

The Tennessee winners were a small-town couple, John and Lisa Robinson of Munford, who also took the lump sum payment. They said they didn't intend to stop working — John as a warehouse supervisor and Lisa at a dermatologist's office — and would stay in their one-story house. They planned to pay off their mortgage and their daughter's student loans.

The Florida winners, David Kaltschmidt and Maureen Smith of Melbourne Beach, took the lump sum as well. Kaltschmidt said he would retire from his job as a manufacturing engineer but wouldn't otherwise change his day-to-day life.

Smith, who identified herself as a homemaker, said she was concerned that winning might make her less friendly because of all the worrying.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                      Texas Panhandle
                      United States
                      Member #136843
                      December 20, 2012
                      1284 Posts
                      Posted: July 19, 2016, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Good timing, media is full of the GOP & Dem Convention political circus.

Or, as I like to call it:

photo dog-pony.jpg

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2016, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Or, as I like to call it:

photo dog-pony.jpg

Good one,

but a dog and pony show is much more enjoyable.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1522 Posts
                          Posted: July 19, 2016, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Good one,

but a dog and pony show is much more enjoyable.

I Agree!  A dog and pony show! Green laugh

Marvin and Mae Acosta must have hired some smart help. They created a Trust and declined the press availability and the photo opportunity. Party

Happy California
                            United States
                            Member #157856
                            August 2, 2014
                            1522 Posts
                            Posted: July 19, 2016, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

I have read that the first year as a lottery winner you may be able to save in taxes by giving more to charity  and then deducting it. The first year's income will be larger than the following years. I will bring this up with a tax attorney.

LA Ca.
                              United States
                              Member #172750
                              February 3, 2016
                              89 Posts
                              Posted: July 20, 2016, 1:17 am - IP Logged

I have read that the first year as a lottery winner you may be able to save in taxes by giving more to charity  and then deducting it. The first year's income will be larger than the following years. I will bring this up with a tax attorney.

There's some kind of limit on how much you can give in any year as a % of your income, but you could also stick a big fat wedge of your jackpot lump sum into a charitable trust where I think you have to donate a minimum of 2% a year