Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I'm growing angrier with lotteries each day!

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 3 months ago by Uluska.

Page 6 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
Green Bay
United States
Member #169391
October 15, 2015
1243 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2016, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

I can't Imagine myself getting so uptight about the inability to beat astronomical odds. It's so weird...lol...I would think that's a given. Hello..lol

Not too healthy centering your real life around something so remote, it's almost untouchable. 

The only legitimate issue I get angry over is the bogus pre and post tests. 

Find it strange that people get discouraged because they don't win the JP, even though they are aware of the astronomical odds against them winning. Then complain using the wrong reasons as justification...lol

Strange, just a couple of weeks ago someone, I forget who challenged me concerning the issue of the lack of knowledge of the odds amongst the general public, and furthermore seemingly lottery enthusiasts. 

Maybe I'll save this post as further proof for future debates. It's a filing logistical nightmare though...ha

Sure the odds are very high, so why do you play the lottery?  Because its fun and a chance at a dream.  That's what it should be.  Some people; however, take it to extremes with ticket purchases.  Trick is, have fun and don't spend too much.  To me, the lottery is kind of a hobby.  Its just fun.  And if I win something, all the better.  If you're lucky, all you need is one ticket.  And if you're not, 100 tickets won't help.

Never give up.  Banana

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
    Brooklyn, NY
    United States
    Member #169723
    October 29, 2015
    877 Posts
    Posted: August 2, 2016, 2:03 am - IP Logged

Sure the odds are very high, so why do you play the lottery?  Because its fun and a chance at a dream.  That's what it should be.  Some people; however, take it to extremes with ticket purchases.  Trick is, have fun and don't spend too much.  To me, the lottery is kind of a hobby.  Its just fun.  And if I win something, all the better.  If you're lucky, all you need is one ticket.  And if you're not, 100 tickets won't help.

I Agree! 100%

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      11978 Posts
      Posted: August 20, 2016, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

So I bought tickets in "Can't lose" states and still lost!

I get sick and tired of seeing it be WAY TOO EASY for winners to win!

I've played HARD for years and have won nothing significant.

My anger is boiling over due to all of this.

Does anyone else feel just as frustrated?

YOU WILL NEVER WIN A LOTTERY JACKPOT IN YOUR LIFETIME OR THE AFTERLIFE.

For all gamblers, even small-time bettors, gambling at the very least correlates with feelings such as irritation, frustration and aggravation then can worsen to agony, depression, violence and suicide. Gamblers may not always admit experiencing these feelings. However, gamblers definitely do experience these feelings. Even small-time $1 a week lottery players get irritated, frustrated and aggravated when always losing. Rarely though do gamblers only bet $1 a week even if saying that. When gamblers who say they only ever bet $1 a week, see a super jackpot getting big and bet $5, $10, $20 or more on it, then they are not $1 a week gamblers any longer. Gambling always means losing money. Usually losing more money than intended. The bottom line is that losing money and feeling all of these negative emotions is not fun, recreational or entertaining.

Every so-called moderate gambler has a gambling problem. Suppose that you are considered to be a moderate gambler. A moderate gambler will occasionally lose for example $5 at a time. So the gambling industry basically "grabs" $5 at a time from you. You would remember this for a lifetime if a thief grabbed a $5 bill out of your hand and ran away with it. What about a gambling industry "thief" who grabs $5 each time from you for a super jackpot lottery drawing? The odds are that you will never hit a super jackpot even if living many thousands of lifetimes. How about grabbing $5 a race at the horse racetrack? How about grabbing $5 a hand at blackjack? How about grabbing $5 for a few slot machine pulls? How about grabbing $5 per stock trade? How about grabbing $5 from you at other gambling activities? That occasional $5 multiplied by countless occasional times, adds up to a lot of money over the months and years. Anyone who is grabbing your money like this is a problem that must be eliminated. But the gambling industry does not want you to think this way. The gambling industry wants you to think that each occasional $5 lost gambling is fun, recreational and entertaining. The gambling industry spends millions of dollars on advertising and public relations to keep their so-called moderate gambling customers foolish and ignorant about gambling. This book will clearly show that gambling in moderation is not okay. This book will wise you up to their propaganda. Readers of this book who smartly apply its information will choose to keep money in the bank or spend it wisely on truly pleasurable, meaningful things.

https://www.amazon.com/Gambling-Facts-Fictions-Anti-Gambling-Handbook/dp/1418472409?ie=UTF8&n=283155&qid=1093186948&redirect=true&ref_=sr_11_1&sr=11-1

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1648 Posts
        Posted: August 20, 2016, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

You know, I can pretty much understand all the perspectives here while making arguments both for and against playing the BIG lotteries. I emphasize the word 'BIG' because that's where the problem is. It's not a coincidence that way more people win on the smaller jackpot games, and, even more on the pick games than any other, okay. Think about it from this angle: substantially less combinations involved. Listen, I know people who play Pick3/4 on a daily basis and are doing very, very well income-wise...and they're content. I'm not going to say that hoping for a jackpot on this level is unreasonable but, the odds are actually waaaaaay up there, okay. I mean, you're gonna need some serious power of manifestation conviction to pull it off, or, a whole lotta money, math, and logistics to get the tickets printed. Then, there's luck. I'm being honest here. I would suggest setting some reasonable goals on the smaller games, to produce a reasonable but steady income, and boost things from there. It is extremely mentally taxing to put all your hopes into something that's actually designed to work against you in a maximum effort type of way. The big games really should be enjoyed as pure entertainment with a small chance at something...maybe. The real fun is in crunching the numbers and finding what I call 'handicaps' that will allow you to either win, or, get very close to winning something every time you play. Life is hard enough, don't allow this game to impose such stress on you...it's just not healthy in any way. Seriously.Wink Like really good liquor, ENJOY RESPONSIBLY!!

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Green Bay
          United States
          Member #169391
          October 15, 2015
          1243 Posts
          Posted: August 20, 2016, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

I predict jj will be back.  Playing the lottery is just too much fun, as long as you don't get carried away with it.  A buck or two a week won't kill anyone...Not even Lildarryl.  BTW, anyone have milk for that poor guy?

Never give up.  Banana

United States
            Member #164725
            March 12, 2015
            341 Posts
            Posted: August 20, 2016, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

I predict jj will be back.  Playing the lottery is just too much fun, as long as you don't get carried away with it.  A buck or two a week won't kill anyone...Not even Lildarryl.  BTW, anyone have milk for that poor guy?

I sure hope so. Like the lottery itself,  jj's posts were mostly for entertainment purposes.   Jack-in-the-Box

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5591 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2016, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

jj is now in the land of "no avatar........."

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1243 Posts
                Posted: August 21, 2016, 9:03 am - IP Logged

jj RIP.  Crying

Never give up.  Banana

United States
                  Member #164725
                  March 12, 2015
                  341 Posts
                  Posted: August 21, 2016, 10:16 am - IP Logged

I will miss him. Sad

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                    Member #169277
                    October 10, 2015
                    630 Posts
                    Posted: August 21, 2016, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

I will miss him. Sad

I never really believed jj was serious. I thought the over the top posts were just for the fun of stirring things up.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4105 Posts
                      Posted: August 21, 2016, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

I never really believed jj was serious. I thought the over the top posts were just for the fun of stirring things up.

I Agree!.. However it's not a good idea telling  people who like/ love playing the lottery that they wasting their time & money & ought to quit.Saying  things like " you never going to win " is discouraging to people who are hoping to beat the odds . It's no different than showing up at an AA meeting with a beer in hand telling people " they wasting their time" trying to quit. Not the right place,  & that nonsense will not & should not be tolerated. Todd pulled the trigger for a reason.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                        Member #169277
                        October 10, 2015
                        630 Posts
                        Posted: August 21, 2016, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!.. However it's not a good idea telling  people who like/ love playing the lottery that they wasting their time & money & ought to quit.Saying  things like " you never going to win " is discouraging to people who are hoping to beat the odds . It's no different than showing up at an AA meeting with a beer in hand telling people " they wasting their time" trying to quit. Not the right place,  & that nonsense will not & should not be tolerated. Todd pulled the trigger for a reason.

True, the latest round was too much and deserved to be shut down. 

The can't win / can't lose states commentary was funny ( in small doses).

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                          Member #52345
                          May 21, 2007
                          2657 Posts
                          Posted: August 21, 2016, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

No Pity! for JJ

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                            Brooklyn, NY
                            United States
                            Member #169723
                            October 29, 2015
                            877 Posts
                            Posted: August 21, 2016, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

If you don't play, you can't win....anything!

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4105 Posts
                              Posted: August 21, 2016, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

True, the latest round was too much and deserved to be shut down. 

The can't win / can't lose states commentary was funny ( in small doses).

This is way before my time but my Mother reminded me that one of her favorite songs from the past was " There will be Peace in the Valley" by Elvis Presley. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.