Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Seeing patterns where none exist

Topic closed. 93 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Rick G.

Page 6 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
South Carolina
United States
Member #491
July 16, 2002
837 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2003, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Pick 3, SC June 2, 3rd digit even for the eve drawing for six draws. 2nd draw even 1/4, 3rd draw even 1/8, 4th draw even 1/16, 5th draw even 1/32, 6th draw even 1/64. So on the 5th draw the chances of an odd number was 97%, but the 6th draw was even. We can both find examples where probability works or doesn't work, so what's the point.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

Prometheus1's avatar - trace9

United States
    Member #1344
    April 6, 2003
    177 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2003, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

I know........I got that part ad nauseum . Just a thought. Never mind.

Thought it might be interesting for us to change venue. Sometimes a change of scenery can be refreshing and stimulate a more ....

........ahh.....never mind.  Lots of luck!

PROMETHEUS       

South Carolina
      United States
      Member #491
      July 16, 2002
      837 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2003, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

And may the laws of probabilit

United States
        Member #1759
        June 29, 2003
        1156 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2003, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Wow that was pretty heavy stuff!!!

Prometheus1's avatar - trace9

United States
          Member #1344
          April 6, 2003
          177 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2003, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

One point is this.........one point. If you can find an example of 9 or 10 anything in a row in your draw history......and you start to bet the other way.........I'll kiss your ass ....as you said to me........if your not closer to the end than the beginning of that pattern. Find one.  High Low...odd even....what ever and where ever there is a 50/50 group.  We will start to bet on number 7.....8.....or 9 .....and if we don't hit the other group running out the back door ..... we might not hit the exact one .........but we will be shooting into the correct half of the pool. Ninety-per cent of the next day. 

Tell me how many 7 anythings you count in a year....how many 8 anythings..........how many 9 anythings?  And if you hold your fire until you see these.......and start shooting 1, 2, or 3 days before they end......

You see 6 or 7 anythings in a row .........then you tell me how long they continued ..........hundreds cause they are random? No . Thirty a year. No  If you find more than one anything that went 10 in a row during the year .....you need to take out a loan on your boat and bet the other way.  These .......are one example of how you increase your chances. Now.......before you say ......well that does not give you the exact number...... Stay on subject and acknowledge that point first.  Then I'll tell you a second thing. If your Lucky.       

You find 8 or 9 or 10 anythings in a row ....and tell me how many and how often they go 8 or 9 or 10 draws more....if its random.........should be thousands of 9's and 10's in there. When you spot these...........YOU ARE ALWAYS CLOSER TO THE END THAN THE BEGINNING....AND BY DAMN ...YOU CAN BET ON THAT....AND THATS .........ONE THING! 

And another thing your math is wrong .......You don't hit 90% probability after only 4 or 5 draws. 

PROMETHEUS       

South Carolina
            United States
            Member #491
            July 16, 2002
            837 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2003, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

I am treating the odd and even numbers as coin flips. 1st draw is even, 1/2 odds, 2nd draw even, 1/2x1/2 or 1/4,3rd draw even 1/8, 4th draw 1/32. Isn't this correct?

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
              FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2003, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

I don't care if you toss a coin 1,000,000 times and it comes up heads each and every time, you will be profitable in betting tails the next 1,000,000 tosses.  This is fact and I can't continue this discussion any further unless you recognize this, Thomas.  Because at that point you are not understanding randomness and any further discussion would be useless because it defies logic.  But I respect your opinion and like I said before you have every right to it.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
                Mid-Missouri
                United States
                Member #644
                August 31, 2002
                4271 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2003, 6:11 pm - IP Logged
                Quote: O
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #491
                  July 16, 2002
                  837 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2003, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Oh, sorry Rick, now I understand what you are saying. Ok, using a computer program I will now flip a coin 100,000 times.50124 heads, 49876 tails. I did it 2 million times. It always came up pretty much even. Flipping 100 flips at a time the heads and tails are a little further apart. At one point I got 61 heads and 39 tails. The more you flip, the more even it gets. If this is what you are saying, I agree.

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
                    Stone Mountain*Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #828
                    November 2, 2002
                    10491 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2003, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Prometheus said that the probability of tossing 30 Heads in a row was over 3 Billion to one.

According to T.C. if he showed up on the 29th. toss he would buy a quick- pick, and have just a good a chance as anyone. Most of the people on this forum have a real hard time understanding that.

Yes, the odds on the 29th toss are still Fifty- percent, and the odds are the same a million tosses from now, still fifty percent but that 30th toss is no fifty-per cent proposition bet. The chances are, shall we say:          Is marginal too strong a word? 

South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #491
                      July 16, 2002
                      837 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2003, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

To be honest, If I saw 29 heads in a row, I would bet heads again. I would be thinking that maybe it's not random.

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
                        Stone Mountain*Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #828
                        November 2, 2002
                        10491 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2003, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

I think Prometheus must have the patience of Job !  He must have cared more than most.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                          FEMA Region V Camp #21
                          United States
                          Member #520
                          July 27, 2002
                          5699 Posts
                          Posted: July 13, 2003, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Thomas, that was exactly what I was getting at, and I agree with you that if a coin toss came up heads 29 times in a row, you bet I'd bet heads on the 30th toss.  Not until the equilibrium started changing would I change my bet and then I'd stick with the equilibrium change until  the scales were balanced, so to speak.  As I mentioned before, it might be a very minute advantage for the player but it is an advantage and in this crazy game you're losing 50% of your money to the state before you even toss the coin so it's even more difficult to gain an advantage as opposed to, let's say blackjack, roulette or horse racing (which is the highest disadvantage of the three at about 18% going to the house).

Thanks again for the stimulating discussion.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
                            Member #119
                            February 19, 2002
                            527 Posts
                            Posted: July 13, 2003, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

As Gail Howard put it, "The trend is your friend".

Florida
                              United States
                              Member #526
                              October 25, 2001
                              127 Posts
                              Posted: July 14, 2003, 7:32 am - IP Logged
                              Quote: O

*Andrew*

WINHunter - Freeware Lottery Number Predicting software for the 21st century. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.

www.sourceforge.net/projects/winhunter