Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should criminals collect jackpots?

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
USA
United States
Member #1849
July 15, 2003
265 Posts
Posted: October 5, 2005, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Ok, this is a very deep question, but a fair one. I was reading the Lottery Post news and came across the story of the jackpot winner that was career criminal and he recently hung himself. Do you feel criminals have the right to collect the jackpot? I'll be honest I'm torn on this issue. On one hand they paid a debt society on the other hand giving a felon the means to commit more crimes with the ability to afford a better lawyer is tough. On a similiar note; I don't think Jamal Lewis should play in the NFL, he had a part, even though it "was a small part" in a drug operation. I don't feel he has the RIGHT to particpate in the NFL and be paid millions. Sorry, I do believe some crimes should exclude you from some privledges in life. Paying you debt does not absolve you from your past and clear your rights entirely. It should be more like Bankrupty and you have to wait ten years, show some proof. Maybe some would say your making them continually pay for a crime. Glad to hear your thoughts. Cheers,

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23352 Posts
    Posted: October 5, 2005, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Anyone who pays their dollar has a right, as far as I'm concerned.  Prisoners who have been released have paid their debt to society, so why should they continue to be penalized?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

USA
      United States
      Member #1849
      July 15, 2003
      265 Posts
      Posted: October 5, 2005, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

I'm not so sure it's a penalty. For example, allot of felons still have rules to follow. If your a felon, commited a crime with a weapon you may no longer have the right to bear arms. If you are a molestor, you might have to stay away from schools. So, in essense not all freedoms are returned and rightfully so. So, that's why this question begs to be asked. I mean I haven't seen any amount money make a criminal a better person. Perhaps there is one but I know of none.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: October 5, 2005, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

But who decides which criminals can purchase a ticket and which can't? I think if you have served your time and you are no longer in prison/jail and you purchase a ticket with "good" money, then you should be able to keep a lottery prize if you win. Same as everyone else.

Dance like no one is watching.

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
          Riverside, Ca
          United States
          Member #21722
          September 14, 2005
          173 Posts
          Posted: October 5, 2005, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

i think they should be able to collect the jackpot, there are no rules to say who can and can't play

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19903 Posts
            Posted: October 5, 2005, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

Why should there be a question of whether everyone who's allowed to buy a lottery ticket be allowed to collect their lottery winnings?  Sounds like a stupid question to me.  I can understand if they owe the State money for taxes or child support and etc., subtracting it from their winnings and giving them the rest.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: October 5, 2005, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Here is something for you to chew on! Read it and then say if Justice was done or not!

4:20 pm - Drug dealer must forfeit lottery jackpot.  A Mexican citizen must forfeit about $2.75 million in Texas lottery winnings because of his drug-trafficking conviction, a federal appeals court said on Wednesday.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

USA
                United States
                Member #1849
                July 15, 2003
                265 Posts
                Posted: October 5, 2005, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I think only unasked questions are stupid questions. The state or government can impose such laws if they chose, it's not far fetched.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19903 Posts
                  Posted: October 5, 2005, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

acroym007,

I agree, the States can impose such rules.  Some years back Ohio had a rule that a lottery ticket could only collect an amount equal to a $20M annuity regardless of the jackpot size.  When their sales went down, they eliminated that rule, but their sales never came back to the level they were before that rule and their lottery jackpots are a lot smaller these days.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

USA
                    United States
                    Member #1849
                    July 15, 2003
                    265 Posts
                    Posted: October 5, 2005, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

That sounds like it was a bad business move. My question lines moreso with ethical issues. Sales would not drop if criminals couldn't play. They would just get their mom to buy tickets but at least they couldn't collect it themselves and if caught they woould have to pay back. It's a novel idea, I bet we will see things like this in the future. Just my guess. Some lawmakers will grow tired of drug dealers spending winners and make a law. Like I said in my earlier post I'm kinda torn.  

Amarillo/Austin
                      United States
                      Member #1424
                      April 25, 2003
                      696 Posts
                      Posted: October 5, 2005, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

If they had a boatload of money, they might mend their ways.  Then again, maybe not . . .

Orangeman                        Cool

Litebets27's avatar - power
                        Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #10465
                        January 14, 2005
                        6065 Posts
                        Posted: October 5, 2005, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Acronym007

Who do you think, from the following examples, should be able to claim a winning Jackpot?

A. A welfare mom who sell her food stamps to play the MM.

B. A bankrupt couple from a respectable neighborhood.

C. A gambler who spends his rent money to play the big game.

D. A Bank Executive who just happen to lay a dollar down just for jokes.

E. A drug addict whose been clean for a year.

F. A group of Doctors who pooled $1000.00 to hit a big Jackpot.

G. An ex-con that was just released after a 10 year stent who is trying to turn his life around.

My point is, how can anyone decide who is going to use their winnings in the right way? I've seen even well educated, professional people do stupid things with money. Who is going to make the judgement and what would they do if they are wrong? I wouldn't say your question was stupid, but it wasn't well thought out.

litebets

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: October 5, 2005, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Acronym007

Who do you think, from the following examples, should be able to clam a winning Jackpot?

A. A welfare mom who sell her food stamps to play the MM.

B. A bankrupt couple from a respectable neighborhood.

C. A gambler who spends his rent money to play the big game.

D. A Bank Executive who just happen to lay a dollar down just for jokes.

E. A drug addict whose been clean for a year.

F. A group of Doctors who pooled $1000.00 to hit a big Jackpot.

G. An ex-con that was just released after a 10 year stent who is trying to turn his life around.

My point is, how can anyone decide who is going to use their winnings in the right way? I've seen even well educated, professional people do stupid things with money. Who is going to make the judgement and what would they do if they are wrong? I wouldn't say your question was stupid, but it wasn't well thought out.

litebets

All of the above. Unless the actual sentence says otherwise (i.e. probation), once you leave jail, you should be able to whatever legal thing you want to do. That's my opinion.

(insert signature here)

USA
                            United States
                            Member #1849
                            July 15, 2003
                            265 Posts
                            Posted: October 5, 2005, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

Like I said in my original post. I don't have the answers, just the question. I don't have a firm answer myself. It doesn't need to be thoughtout or why would we have forums like this but to explore these social issues. It's good to hear all sides, different views, others thoughts. I would recommend people in this thread take a moment to read the my original, first post. I never said I support the idea nor am I against it. It's an interesting topic for all of us to explore.

Litebets27's avatar - power
                              Maryland
                              United States
                              Member #10465
                              January 14, 2005
                              6065 Posts
                              Posted: October 5, 2005, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

No, I view this as more self-righteous rather than interesting. Placing restrictions on who can claim winnings(except those who owe Child Support or Ailimony) is not what the game is about. It's not how the game is played. You seem to be implying that Lotteries should Police who is capable of using their winnings in a moral or correct and proper manner. Now this is crazy. The State Lotteries have enough problems just trying to find ways to keep us from WINNING in the first place.

litebets