Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should criminals collect jackpots?

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
USA
United States
Member #1849
July 15, 2003
265 Posts
Posted: October 6, 2005, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Hey Chewie, I agree with allot of what you are saying. Money talks in our society. I would love nothing more than to see someone in here have the same voice as a Martha S and winning the lotto would do that. Me personally, I don't support thugs like Martha and yes I think many of the bigger crimes are forgotten with allot of money. Tyson, OJ, Martha, hundreds of CEO's etc. That is injustice. It's not right, IMHO. If you have money, no crime, no money it's a crime.

Whitwell, TN
    United States
    Member #5461
    July 5, 2004
    56 Posts
    Posted: October 6, 2005, 10:49 am - IP Logged

You pay your dollar, you win, you collect. end of story. What you do with it after that is up to you. If you do someting illegal it will catch up with you eventually, RIGHT?

Frown

as the name says Destinedtowin.

good luck to all who play the powerball this week, may your dreams come true.                              

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: October 7, 2005, 9:47 am - IP Logged

If someone has served their time, I don't have a problem with them playing (and winning) the lottery. They should also regain the right to vote.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
        Magnolia, Delaware
        United States
        Member #18795
        July 20, 2005
        789 Posts
        Posted: October 7, 2005, 11:09 am - IP Logged

If a criminal has been convicted and done his time and released back into society, that's just fine. But if that person wins a lottery jackpot, I feel restitution needs to be paid back to the tax payers for his/hers cost of keeping them in prison. We all know what the cost of keeping one inmate cost these days and that cost just keeps going up every year! Heck, look at the cost to the tax payer for building those prisons! They live in air conditioned rooms and so on. These freaking criminals have it better than most of our countries working poor, is this fair? I think not! Our working poor are a part of society that pays their taxes, pays their parking tickets, stays out of trouble and so on. Our working poor doesn't get free medical care, they don't get to see a dentist and get a filling for free! Our prison system needs a major overhaul! I feel prison life should be harder time spent (no air conditioning, no tv etc.) than it is today! And if any convicted felon wins the lottery, they are to make Full Restitution of their Debt for housing them in prison!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Shawnintennesse's avatar - British Pint_414_.jpg
          Springfield,Ohio
          United States
          Member #14006
          April 19, 2005
          3972 Posts
          Posted: October 7, 2005, 11:17 am - IP Logged

I look at it like this. And like lots of others say.

It's exactly a game. Anyone can play. And anyone who spends there dollar has a right...

No matter where that dollar came from. Money is money...

If it weren't for Vtracs and STXS where would we be?

USA
            United States
            Member #1849
            July 15, 2003
            265 Posts
            Posted: October 7, 2005, 11:34 am - IP Logged

BaristaExpress - much of what you said I agree with. Prisons should be the worst place to go so an offender has no desire to be there. I read an article where it cost $70k to pay for each inmate. Imagine what some families could do with that money. In any case, back to the subject I think you have a interesting idea.

Shawnintennesse - the law does not agree with your line of thinking. Money earned from prostition, drug deals, murders, other crimes is not the same money. There are many articles and journals that cover that well enough. I understand what your saying about money itself but where is comes from is important in society. Another way to say it is this, an Al-Queda member gets 10k to kill an american or jew, then takes the 10k to win the american lotto, same money? Not in my book, sorry that's blood money.

Springfield,Ohio
              United States
              Member #14006
              April 19, 2005
              3972 Posts
              Posted: October 7, 2005, 11:59 am - IP Logged

BaristaExpress - much of what you said I agree with. Prisons should be the worst place to go so an offender has no desire to be there. I read an article where it cost $70k to pay for each inmate. Imagine what some families could do with that money. In any case, back to the subject I think you have a interesting idea.

Shawnintennesse - the law does not agree with your line of thinking. Money earned from prostition, drug deals, murders, other crimes is not the same money. There are many articles and journals that cover that well enough. I understand what your saying about money itself but where is comes from is important in society. Another way to say it is this, an Al-Queda member gets 10k to kill an american or jew, then takes the 10k to win the american lotto, same money? Not in my book, sorry that's blood money.

Law dosent cover itself. Thats been proven time and time again.

Cops can walk on the law. They practice it,And make there own rules as they go along.

They can come into your house without a warrant. And say that you let them in. And there belived. Your not. It happens all the time.

The blue suit is the one thats corrupt.

System of a Down said it the best.."Some of those who work forces,Are the same that burn crosses"...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: October 7, 2005, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Todd:

Perhaps you might want to close this thread to the benefit of the innocent members. I don't want things to get personal. I respect others opinions but somehow the feeling is not reciprical. For those that stayed on point thanks. Cheers,

I thought you wanted the thread to end, it can't end if you keep posting.Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

USA
                  United States
                  Member #1849
                  July 15, 2003
                  265 Posts
                  Posted: October 7, 2005, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Todd can close the post any time he choses. Personally if everything stays on point and we have a mutual respect there is no problem, if people start to blast others then perhaps closure would be best, don't you agree?

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: October 7, 2005, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Just look for the lead numbers and pointers, from last week and see if they come up.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49716 Posts
                      Posted: October 7, 2005, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

acronym007: It would be helpful if the situation was more clearly defined: Are you talking about a criminal actively engaged in criminal activities and deriving his entire income from those activities. Or: A felon who has served time and is now back in society and nolonger engaging in criminal activity. Or do you have some other scenario in mind.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: October 8, 2005, 7:41 am - IP Logged

Law dosent cover itself. Thats been proven time and time again.

Cops can walk on the law. They practice it,And make there own rules as they go along.

They can come into your house without a warrant. And say that you let them in. And there belived. Your not. It happens all the time.

The blue suit is the one thats corrupt.

System of a Down said it the best.."Some of those who work forces,Are the same that burn crosses"...

i agree with shawn on this.having been through a similar situation where they made their own rules up and broke the ones they were suppose to be following.the law get to aggressive for their own good sometimes......

Sparta, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18331
                          July 9, 2005
                          1977 Posts
                          Posted: October 8, 2005, 7:52 am - IP Logged

I think, across the board, there are good and bad. The really great and the really corrupt leave the largest impression on those who are impacted - or stay up with current events.  The thing that makes all of them stand out is the power, precieved and the legal. You can only hope, when your time comes, you get, at the very least, a decent one.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Springfield,Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #14006
                            April 19, 2005
                            3972 Posts
                            Posted: October 8, 2005, 8:17 am - IP Logged

I think, across the board, there are good and bad. The really great and the really corrupt leave the largest impression on those who are impacted - or stay up with current events.  The thing that makes all of them stand out is the power, precieved and the legal. You can only hope, when your time comes, you get, at the very least, a decent one.

In Tennessee theres only one kind.. Corrupt..

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: October 8, 2005, 8:25 am - IP Logged

If even half of the cops were corrupt, you would be dead - thus unable to complain about them. However, giving you the benefit of the doubt, the next time you're stuck in traffic because of an accident, multiple that by a zillion. Then starve to death trying to get to a job that doesn't exist.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice