Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should criminals collect jackpots?

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Shawnintennesse's avatar - British Pint_414_.jpg
Springfield,Ohio
United States
Member #14006
April 19, 2005
3972 Posts
Posted: October 8, 2005, 9:11 am - IP Logged

If even half of the cops were corrupt, you would be dead - thus unable to complain about them. However, giving you the benefit of the doubt, the next time you're stuck in traffic because of an accident, multiple that by a zillion. Then starve to death trying to get to a job that doesn't exist.

Well.. The only thing i can tell you is.

Your in NJ. And were in Tennessee..

I rest my case...

If it weren't for Vtracs and STXS where would we be?

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
    Darlington, S.C.
    United States
    Member #3691
    February 12, 2004
    133 Posts
    Posted: October 8, 2005, 12:29 pm - IP Logged
    First I would like to thank acronym007 for a very interesting topic that hasn't been brought up before that I know of. It beats reading the same topics and questions brought up by many people over and over again. It certainly wasn't a "stupid" question as one poster said. I think acronym007 was unfairly attacked by certain posters who thought he was stating an opinion rather than posting a question.
    As for  Shawnintennesse's comments about all the cops in Tennessee being corrupt I think she or he may be suffering from paranoia or have some kind of personality projection problem.
    Like the saying goes: "Next time you're in trouble, call a crook."

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

Springfield,Ohio
      United States
      Member #14006
      April 19, 2005
      3972 Posts
      Posted: October 8, 2005, 12:51 pm - IP Logged
      First I would like to thank acronym007 for a very interesting topic that hasn't been brought up before that I know of. It beats reading the same topics and questions brought up by many people over and over again. It certainly wasn't a "stupid" question as one poster said. I think acronym007 was unfairly attacked by certain posters who thought he was stating an opinion rather than posting a question.
      As for  Shawnintennesse's comments about all the cops in Tennessee being corrupt I think she or he may be suffering from paranoia or have some kind of personality projection problem.

Well he isnt suffreing from paronoia... He's stating a fact.

And i think your suffering from a case of dumbass...

Darlington, S.C.
        United States
        Member #3691
        February 12, 2004
        133 Posts
        Posted: October 8, 2005, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Very well put, Shawnintennesse.

I guess name calling may be an acceptable form of debate for some people, but if you're trying to prove your point you are coming up short.

If you're stating a fact how about some info to back it up?

In futility.

Springfield,Ohio
          United States
          Member #14006
          April 19, 2005
          3972 Posts
          Posted: October 8, 2005, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Very well put, Shawnintennesse.

I guess name calling may be an acceptable form of debate for some people, but if you're trying to prove your point you are coming up short.

If you're stating a fact how about some info to back it up?

Well i know for a fact the FBI is investigating the whole TBI. And also all agencys in connection there of. For breach of civial right's...

I can tell you first hand. Cause i have a pending lawsuit against the city of Murfreesboro for this very issue. Illegal search and seizure...

More times than not. The police have no right to come into someones home without a warrant and illegaly search it..

It's called the 4th ammendment. And they care nothing about it...

Just do a search. You'll see it everywhere here...

By the way. I know how to put things. Cause im not inbreed like most people here...

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: October 8, 2005, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Hey Shawnee, sweet cheeks, just so you know there is an ability to cross state lines. and to have varied experiences in more than one state, I received my engineering degree in (Kingsport) Tennessee in 1973. My wife’s family has lived there for generations. You do know there are educational institutes in Tennessee don't you?

BTW, in your previous post, intelligent people, with a minimum knowledge of grammar, know the correct spelling is either "you're" or "you are", not "your." Maybe you rested your (correct usage of "your" should be noted) case too early. You might want to spend a little more time on sentence structure before calling other people dumb. As the writer once said, "Stupid is as Stupid does."

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Springfield,Ohio
              United States
              Member #14006
              April 19, 2005
              3972 Posts
              Posted: October 8, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

Hey Shawnee, sweet cheeks, just so you know there is an ability to cross state lines. and to have varied experiences in more than one state, I received my engineering degree in (Kingsport) Tennessee in 1973. My wife’s family has lived there for generations. You do know there are educational institutes in Tennessee don't you?

BTW, in your previous post, intelligent people, with a minimum knowledge of grammar, know the correct spelling is either "you're" or "you are", not "your." Maybe you rested your (correct usage of "your" should be noted) case too early. You might want to spend a little more time on sentence structure before calling other people dumb. As the writer once said, "Stupid is as Stupid does."

My names Shawn..

Not Shawnee... And i rest my case. Your the one looking for an arguement. And your not going to get one..

Excuse me i usually puke on occasions like this.Puke

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: October 8, 2005, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Hehehehe. Buy them books, and buy them books, they chew on the covers.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Litebets27's avatar - power
                  Maryland
                  United States
                  Member #10465
                  January 14, 2005
                  6065 Posts
                  Posted: October 8, 2005, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

DirtyWrat, I think that it's nice that you are enjoying this topic so much. But one of your statements was  truly incorrect. When Acronym007 first started his post he stated that this was a (deep question). But as he continued on... at the point when he stated,"I don't think Jamal Lewis....", he begain to inject his opinion on the subject. It's a sticky topic that for me atleast implys placing some kind of control on something (lottery winnings) on anyone who has or hasn't been convicted of a crime because he doesn't know what they are going to use it for. A few winners have made bad decisions on how they spent their winning because they had no self-control and now the question is, should winners money be policed?

Where would it end?

litebets

USA
                    United States
                    Member #1849
                    July 15, 2003
                    265 Posts
                    Posted: October 8, 2005, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Litebets - I never injected my opinion. Once again, let me explain to you that I merely listed a point that would be an arguement for not allowing felons to play lotto. Jamal Lewis is in the NFL, he is not a lotto winner and I have no problem staring my opinion that Jamal Lewis does not belong in the NFL. I NEVER stated an opinion one way or the other on this subject, I listed Jamal Lewis as a point to start the topic. For example, pros and cons. The best way to start a topic is with examples. I NEVER sided and STILL HAVE NOT sided with one position or the other so please do not put words in peoples mouths or take the written word out of context. Litebets, you don't have to like me, seems like you don't for some reason, but for the sake of the forum it's best for us to be kind to each other and I have shown you no ill will so you should do the same. Why would have to correct someone for being decent in the post, why is that? DirtyWrat never mentioned your name is his post so why do feel that you need to correct him? DirtyWrat was 100% correct, I NEVER stated my opinion, if I have please show me where. A point to consider is not a statement in favor for or against a topic. It's called conversation. If you want to know my opinion just ask.

DirtyWrat - thanks for the compliment, I felt the same way. The topic was going to be an interesting one and as you read I have not picked a side, I'm still torn. Some people in this thread placed me on side without asking my opinion but you read the thread whilre some did not. Thanks

Shawn - I'm sorry to hear your going through some tough times down in TN. I think if you sat back for a moment even you would thinks it's pretty silly to call an entire police force corrupt and most likely unwise to do so if you're in the middle of a lawsuit with that polise force.

Darlington, S.C.
                      United States
                      Member #3691
                      February 12, 2004
                      133 Posts
                      Posted: October 8, 2005, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Shawnintennesse- I know that there is some corruption not only in Tennessee but most likely in every state of the union. I also know there is some corruption in politics, sports, corporations, clergy, boy scouts, police departments, and God knows what else.

Implying that all cops are corrupt is wrong. What you're doing is taking a group of people and putting a label on them that is not justified or deserved.

In futility.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19830 Posts
                        Posted: October 8, 2005, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Why should there be a question of whether everyone who's allowed to buy a lottery ticket be allowed to collect their lottery winnings?  Sounds like a stupid question to me.  I can understand if they owe the State money for taxes or child support and etc., subtracting it from their winnings and giving them the rest.

I stand by what I said, if a state doesn't want to pay certain people their winnings then it shouldn't accept their money to play.  Questioning whether they should pay up after a person wins would make their lottery  like a scam.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Darlington, S.C.
                          United States
                          Member #3691
                          February 12, 2004
                          133 Posts
                          Posted: October 8, 2005, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Ok, I will take the other position on this issue. I don't think convicted felons should be eligible to win the lottery. If they can't win , they won't play.Who among us would want the killer of someone we love to strike it rich?

In futility.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19830 Posts
                            Posted: October 8, 2005, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Would that limitation also apply to immediate family members, lottery pools or anyone else who might share their winnings with a convicted felons?  It's a simple matter for a felon to have a family member or friend claim the winnings and share it with him.

The original question included all criminals not just killers which would include almost anyone who have done time in jail.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3333 Posts
                              Posted: October 8, 2005, 7:48 pm - IP Logged
                              If it's legally earned money that buys the winning ticket, all owed child support, taxes, judgments, restitutions are all paid ... then who am I to say that any person can't use the remaining money in any manner they choose, legality of which will be determined by their actions?
                              After all they paid for the right to do just that.
                              We can learn a lot by observing other people's mistakes, but we can't prevent them from making them or save them from themselves.

Good luck to everyone!