Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should criminals collect jackpots?

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19831 Posts
Posted: October 5, 2005, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

acronym007 wrote:
"My question lines more so with ethical issues."

I just don't think people are very ethical when it comes to imposing their values on others.  Many people are just plain jealous of the people who win lotteries jackpots because they think it's unearned money.  They will always come up with some so called ethical BS why some people should have that kind of money, they just can't stand someone being so lucky. 

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    6065 Posts
    Posted: October 5, 2005, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

acronym007 wrote:
    "My question lines more so with ethical issues."

I just don't think people are very ethical when it comes to imposing their values on others.  Many people are just plain jealous of the people who win lotteries jackpots because they think it's unearned money.  They will always come up with some so called ethical BS why some people should have that kind of money, they just can't stand someone being so lucky. 

RJOh

I Agree!

litebets

USA
      United States
      Member #1849
      July 15, 2003
      265 Posts
      Posted: October 6, 2005, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Somehow I'm not sure you people are educated on the use of forums.

1. Forums discuss topics - any related to the forum content

2. I never claimed to be anything, self rightous for starting a conversation? Maybe you are stressed my freind but calling someone sefl rightous for asking a question really isn't wise.

3. Who imposes there values on others in America? I hate to tell you people, perhaps you live in a land with no laws but a land with laws imposes their values on people? That's a foolsih statement.

4. It's VERY ethical to have laws and IMPOSE value for a society based on the society's collective beliefs, the opposite is lawlessness or communism. At least in America we chose these freedoms. But to think you have freedom to do whatever you want you are wonrg on all accounts. If you break the law consequenses come. If you talk on the cell phone in CT, you break the law. Are they are imposing their will upon me or are they the people we voted in office?

5. Why post in someone's thread just to put them down? That is perhaps the most interesting thing I find. People cannot share viewpoints and would rather display ignorance by attacking the poster. I don't recall slamming anyone in here for having an opinion or asking a question. The point is to encourage conversations. Yet some people, are making issues out of my NON-OPINION POST, it was a question not an opinion.

6. I never suggested Lotto's police themselves, state and or federal laws do this. Why would the lotto do this? There have been cases where lotto winnings were taken. Not only the one mentioned in this thread but others careful research would show there is a strong case for laws like this. It has nothing to do with people winning the lotto eother, this could be applied to any people who break the law. Money is the best way to get a persons attention.

7. If you have an opinion, why not share without somehow attacking the poster? Did I claim to have a side in this battle. Moreso from the begging I claimed to be interested in what my fellow posters had to say without siding. Rest assured I will not pose this type of question again because people cannot stay on point and just simply share their thoughts. Somehow a few of you have put me on one side or the other which I am not.

USA
        United States
        Member #1849
        July 15, 2003
        265 Posts
        Posted: October 6, 2005, 12:04 am - IP Logged

Todd:

Perhaps you might want to close this thread to the benefit of the innocent members. I don't want things to get personal. I respect others opinions but somehow the feeling is not reciprical. For those that stayed on point thanks. Cheers,

Litebets27's avatar - power
          Maryland
          United States
          Member #10465
          January 14, 2005
          6065 Posts
          Posted: October 6, 2005, 12:42 am - IP Logged

I believe we all have stayed on point. You state in your original topic statements:

Sorry, I do believe some crimes should exclude you from privledges in life.

That is what the prisons are used for.

Acronym007 wrote:

Paying you debt does not absolve you from your past and clear your rights entirely.

This sounds like a personal opinion to me. I bet if there are any members here who have served any time in prison, and they read your statement as you wrote it, they too would beg to differ with your opinion. Some people do try to turn their lives around and a big lottery win just maybe the ticket to help them to do this.

Acronym007 wrote:

It shouldbe more like bankruptcy and you have to wait ten years, show some proof.

Again, this is Policing the lottery wins that someone has legally won. And again, you have given us your opinion on the subject. Would you want some one to say, since you us 007 you may go out and buy weapons of mass-destruction for spy games with your big wins, therefore, we won't let your claim your winning until we are sure you won't

litebet

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3056 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2005, 1:00 am - IP Logged

Ok, this is a very deep question, but a fair one. I was reading the Lottery Post news and came across the story of the jackpot winner that was career criminal and he recently hung himself. Do you feel criminals have the right to collect the jackpot? I'll be honest I'm torn on this issue. On one hand they paid a debt society on the other hand giving a felon the means to commit more crimes with the ability to afford a better lawyer is tough. On a similiar note; I don't think Jamal Lewis should play in the NFL, he had a part, even though it "was a small part" in a drug operation. I don't feel he has the RIGHT to particpate in the NFL and be paid millions. Sorry, I do believe some crimes should exclude you from some privledges in life. Paying you debt does not absolve you from your past and clear your rights entirely. It should be more like Bankrupty and you have to wait ten years, show some proof. Maybe some would say your making them continually pay for a crime. Glad to hear your thoughts. Cheers,

In my view you are not speaking from personal experience in your last few lines of your post are you.  So you probably don't have the foggyist idea about what jail or prison life is like and having your rights taking away from you do you?

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: October 6, 2005, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Somehow I'm not sure you people are educated on the use of forums

I think everyone here understands the basics of the forums and are stating their opinion just as you are. And most just don't agree with you.

7. If you have an opinion, why not share without somehow attacking the poster?

Many posters have stated their opinions without attacking. It seems you are upset because again, most people don't agree with you.

In my opinion, I think it is pointless to make any type of law regulating those who have criminal records playing the lotto. If they did a crime and paid the time, they should be able to purchase a ticket just like everyone else.

Dance like no one is watching.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3106 Posts
                Posted: October 6, 2005, 2:46 am - IP Logged

You pays your dollar and you takes your chances.  Anyone can play except children and anyone can win, even illegal aliens from mars so I don't see the problem. 

If the winner was previously judged to owe reparations to their victim, the state has a duty to see that amount of the winnings is correctly distributed.

As to the claim the state has a right to the winnings because the ticket was purchased by drug money . . . while that applies to homes and cars . . . the idea the govenment can determine the source of every dollar spent to be drug money because it is the only source of income, well it could have been his lucky dollar his mother gave him for his tenth birthday.  Even in jail you need money outside for lawyers and such.  Frankly any time the government finds another way to take what could never be taken before, it makes me realize how little we were taught in school about America really applies today.  Hell, it's America itself that has been stolen from us.  BobP

lady bren's avatar - yocco
                  los angeles california
                  United States
                  Member #22987
                  October 6, 2005
                  340 Posts
                  Posted: October 6, 2005, 3:02 am - IP Logged

Ok, this is a very deep question, but a fair one. I was reading the Lottery Post news and came across the story of the jackpot winner that was career criminal and he recently hung himself. Do you feel criminals have the right to collect the jackpot? I'll be honest I'm torn on this issue. On one hand they paid a debt society on the other hand giving a felon the means to commit more crimes with the ability to afford a better lawyer is tough. On a similiar note; I don't think Jamal Lewis should play in the NFL, he had a part, even though it "was a small part" in a drug operation. I don't feel he has the RIGHT to particpate in the NFL and be paid millions. Sorry, I do believe some crimes should exclude you from some privledges in life. Paying you debt does not absolve you from your past and clear your rights entirely. It should be more like Bankrupty and you have to wait ten years, show some proof. Maybe some would say your making them continually pay for a crime. Glad to hear your thoughts. Cheers,

I do beleived that a convicted felon, should not received any winning earnings. Simply'' because now he/she, has more money to commit more crimes. lol

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: October 6, 2005, 3:20 am - IP Logged

Now that a twist, a criminal that needs money to commit crimes.  Most criminal make money committing crimes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3106 Posts
                      Posted: October 6, 2005, 3:25 am - IP Logged

Now that a twist, a criminal that needs money to commit crimes.  Most criminal make money committing crimes.

Hmmm, I guess more money could allow a criminal to finance what it takes to commit a better crime, but that kind of jackpot money would only work if the government put him into the witness protection program or all his old friends would make it hard to reform his life.

A good question for the guy who lost his prize because he supposedly bought the winning ticket with drug money . . . did winning use up all his luck so he got caught?

BobP

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: October 6, 2005, 9:03 am - IP Logged

At what point does the "winner filter" stop? Should we eliminate any one over 50; they are over the hill and can't take full advantage of huge sums. Should we eliminate non-citizens because they are not true americans? Should we eliminate any one who has every been caught commiting a felony; once a criminal, always a criminal? Do we start considering race and religion?

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

USA
                          United States
                          Member #1849
                          July 15, 2003
                          265 Posts
                          Posted: October 6, 2005, 9:05 am - IP Logged
                          Litebets - that's what prisons are for? Actually, no, prisons are for the worst offenders. There are many people walking among us that have lost rights and privileges but have not gone to prison.

Bellyache - how can most people not agree with me when I have not formed an opinion on the subject thats why I asked the question? I ASKED A QUESTION WITHOUT STATING A SIDE. Read thread topic. I might be upset if I chose a side. I'm not upset with anyone. I feel that some posters are whacking the messanger when all I did was pose a thought.

weshar75 - no idea about jail and prison? Yet I work within the Law enforcement field? Some of you in here, to no fault of your own have no clue about laws in our country, USA. Penalties ALREADY exist for those who are released from prison, it may not be lotto but people released from prison do not come out with the same freedoms as when they entered. Some do but felons in most states DO NOT. Research it before you comment.

Prior felonies will exclude people from jobs, privileges, entertainment etc... You all act like a person comes out of jail with no history. I didn't make the laws. I know for certain felons cannot work in law enforcement, so didn't they lose that privilege? Will the military take a felon? Can they work in a bank? Can they become a foster parent? Can they work in a daycare? I know for certain, depending on the crime and conditions of release some people can not be around children at all. Driving drunk will cause people in the state of CT to lose their "right" to drive. Some lose the right to carry weapons which is a constitutional right, isn't it? Well, folk rights are lost everyday in America for people who commit crimes. None of us in here are better than anyone else but laws are made as a whole for the welfare of the people.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: October 6, 2005, 9:33 am - IP Logged

Some laws just make no sense at all.

A co-worker who drives a cab in the same airport as I do, here in Florida, recently lost his driving privelages. His drivers license. He stopped paying child support because it was the slow season here in Florida, not because he didn't want to. I can attest to that. However, does that make any sense at all?

The law says we want money from you, so what we'll do is take away the ability for you to make money. Real smart...HUH?

As far as lotto goes, someone who has paid their debt should get the money. If the argument is that bigger crimes will be made from that money....well that's ludicrous. The person committed crimes before he had any money.

As for rights being taken away from the person....well, those rights that are taken away, have only to do with, or close to protecting innocent people from getting hurt.

Of course police won't hire you.

Of course the military won't hire you.

Of course drunk drivers need that breath inhaling thingy installed in their cars, in order to drive.

Of course banks won't hire you.

And so on....

But not receiving money, when you bought a ticket? That's where i disagree.

That's when a police state is being formed, and we definitely don't want that.

The next thing you know...people will have to get finger printed before they purchase tickets. Rediculous.

Just one man's opinion.

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: October 6, 2005, 9:42 am - IP Logged

You forgot the point that laws do not prevent ciminals from commiting them. With rrare exception, they only punish those without money.  Sit on the side of the freeway in any state in the union and watch the law breakers fly by at 20 mph over the speed limit; the more expensive the car, the faster the speed. You can rip off a corporation for millions, stash half some where, be caught, pay a 10% fine, 6 months on a golf course, and go back to you mansion. Some cases no fine.

You can lie to a Federal Judge and still be President. You can lie to a Federal Prosecutor and get a TV show. You can cut your wives throat off and spend the rest of your life playing golf. You can be a child molester and still invite a hundred children to a party inside your house. You can drive you car into another car, and blame it on photographers.

Does Martha care that she cannot adopt children, cannot work in a bank, cannot become a cop, cannot join the military? Does Michael? Does Dennis care about the number of speeding tickets he receives? Does Madonna care about hundreds of parking tickets? They don't need to own weapons, they hire people to do that for them. Hell, OJ can work in a Child Care Center; if if wanted to. So could Michael Jackson. Michael could buy one!

Based on articles published every day, CT and every other state is full of convicted drunk drivers driving around. Most of them plea out and take a rehab course for $150.00; then drive to the bar with the graduation certificate. Of course, you have have the money to afford a top notch lawyer to do this. If you work at PathMark, you're in deep do-do. I would love the know the pre-sentance income of the people in Folsom Prison. You can bet it is way below six figures.

A survey was once run, by a television station in Dallas. They parked a Bentley in several no parking zones, and left it there. Almost without exception, nothing happened to the owner. They filmed several police cars turn on their lights to protect the vehicle. They parked in key traffic area and blocked traffic. Not a single ticket. They repeated that with Honda's and Toyota's. You can guess the action of the city's finest.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice