Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can someone explain to me this scale?

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Myrtle Beach, SC
United States
Member #18457
July 12, 2005
3433 Posts
Posted: August 26, 2006, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Advanced
Advanced

I see this new feature, but I have to ask, what determines the ratings?

I have:

Regular
Regular      What?

pcnut

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it."

David Starr Jordan

S.C.'s weekly-indicative random pairs: 05, 12, 13, 16, 18, 23, 34

Enjoy

pcnut

North Carolina
    United States
    Member #4313
    April 11, 2004
    2389 Posts
    Posted: August 26, 2006, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I'm also curious about the scale!!!

Gentlespirit
    'Be Loving and Peaceful'Blue Angel

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 26, 2006, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Don't know if this link will work. If it doesn't, then try going to the Blogs and look at Todd's.  Here he explains the ratings.

http://blogs.lotterypost.com/todd/2006/08/new-member-ratings.htm

Myrtle Beach, SC
        United States
        Member #18457
        July 12, 2005
        3433 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2006, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Don't know if this link will work. If it doesn't, then try going to the Blogs and look at Todd's.  Here he explains the ratings.

http://blogs.lotterypost.com/todd/2006/08/new-member-ratings.htm

Thank you for the link justxploring.

After reading the blog and seeing how the rating is based, brings me to a unsettling conclusion.

Thanks for the info.

pcnut

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it."

David Starr Jordan

Enjoy

pcnut

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: August 26, 2006, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I like it...

It brings a whole new dimension into play.

I like the fact that people obsessed with top poster status will hopefully quit posting on every single topic with one sentence posts that make little or no sense just to increase their post count...

DD

Myrtle Beach, SC
            United States
            Member #18457
            July 12, 2005
            3433 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2006, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

I like it...

It brings a whole new dimension into play.

I like the fact that people obsessed with top poster status will hopefully quit posting on every single topic with one sentence posts that make little or no sense just to increase their post count...

DD

Thanks for the reply DoubleDown,

If you look at my post stats on the left, I'm not one of those members. Yet I feel penalized and discriminated because I choose not to be a highly active poster, but yet, I am a very active member of LP and contribute through my picks, pm's and posts (lack there of?)

A new visitor comes to LP and sees the post with the scale and interprets it as hit performance (which it should be) rather than a post performance? They are not going to know the difference during the initial visits. Now when I post, I have to see this scale and now knowingly how I feel about it?

Thanks, but no thanks.

David Starr Jordan

Enjoy

pcnut

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23357 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2006, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Smile I guess you're one of the ones in the "don't like it" category.  I knew there would be a few.  It is hard to please 45,000 out of 45,000 people.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                Member #4416
                April 22, 2004
                1075 Posts
                Posted: August 26, 2006, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

pcnut,

We can't really hold it against Todd for trying to to increase regular participation on the site. Whether it's his intent or not, the effect of the new ratings on those who are concerned with ratings will be to prod them into posting something every day. That doesn't guarantee that people will post anything of value, but it will demonstrate more traffic on the site, and that translates into $$$.

If you're concerned about your rating, just start posting something every day. Your rating will slowly improve over time. If you don't care about your rating, just work harder on your lottery picks. Your winnings will buy you a lot more than any rating of any kind.

Good luck,

aye'

Myrtle Beach, SC
                  United States
                  Member #18457
                  July 12, 2005
                  3433 Posts
                  Posted: August 26, 2006, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

pcnut,

We can't really hold it against Todd for trying to to increase regular participation on the site. Whether it's his intent or not, the effect of the new ratings on those who are concerned with ratings will be to prod them into posting something every day. That doesn't guarantee that people will post anything of value, but it will demonstrate more traffic on the site, and that translates into $$$.

If you're concerned about your rating, just start posting something every day. Your rating will slowly improve over time. If you don't care about your rating, just work harder on your lottery picks. Your winnings will buy you a lot more than any rating of any kind.

Good luck,

aye'

Thanks for the response ayenowitall,

As I said, "Yet I feel penalized and discriminated because I choose not to be a highly active poster, but yet, I am a very active member of LP and contribute through my picks, pm's and posts (lack there of?)

I do not wish to increase my post ratings nor do I wish to see them, yet I'm penalized with low rating because of my participation in posting and not through my prediction....???? I thought LP was all about prediction and helping other members when needed, now I'm being jugde via a scale on posting?

I have nothing against Todd or him thinking outside the box on improvements and I enjoy being a member of this site, this is one improvement that attacks my integrety and standing as a LP member.

David Starr Jordan

Enjoy

pcnut

Myrtle Beach, SC
                    United States
                    Member #18457
                    July 12, 2005
                    3433 Posts
                    Posted: August 26, 2006, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Smile I guess you're one of the ones in the "don't like it" category.  I knew there would be a few.  It is hard to please 45,000 out of 45,000 people.

Well, there went the remainder of my integrity as a valued LP member!Just, "one of the ones in the "don't like it" category. "I guess I'm on this blacklist now...

Todd, how about placing a small text above the scale identifying what it is then?

pcnut

David Starr Jordan

Enjoy

pcnut

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2006, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said..."You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time"...LOL

United States
                        Member #4416
                        April 22, 2004
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: August 26, 2006, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Well, there went the remainder of my integrity as a valued LP member!Just, "one of the ones in the "don't like it" category. "I guess I'm on this blacklist now...

Todd, how about placing a small text above the scale identifying what it is then?

pcnut

pcnut,

Now I see your point, and it just might be a valid one. I understood the rating because I'd already read about it in Todd's blog, but I can see how that rating and the other indicators (level of membership, level of total posts, poster ratings) might be confusing if a reader were not familiar with them. One might wonder, "Gold what?"  Or another reader might ask, "What exactly is being rated four out of five stars?" Yet another person might question, "What exactly makes someone a Top Poster of any degree?" Heck, all of that might already be covered somewhere on this site, but maybe it should be made a little more prominent in a place like the Home page. Maybe there should also be some disclosure of exactly what numerical ratios (number of posting days divided by the number of Lottery Post days) qualify members for each of the rankings. With that, members would at least know exactly how far they have to go to improve their standing as a resource on LP.

Good luck,

aye'

Myrtle Beach, SC
                          United States
                          Member #18457
                          July 12, 2005
                          3433 Posts
                          Posted: August 26, 2006, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

pcnut,

Now I see your point, and it just might be a valid one. I understood the rating because I'd already read about it in Todd's blog, but I can see how that rating and the other indicators (level of membership, level of total posts, poster ratings) might be confusing if a reader were not familiar with them. One might wonder, "Gold what?"  Or another reader might ask, "What exactly is being rated four out of five stars?" Yet another person might question, "What exactly makes someone a Top Poster of any degree?" Heck, all of that might already be covered somewhere on this site, but maybe it should be made a little more prominent in a place like the Home page. Maybe there should also be some disclosure of exactly what numerical ratios (number of posting days divided by the number of Lottery Post days) qualify members for each of the rankings. With that, members would at least know exactly how far they have to go to improve their standing as a resource on LP.

Good luck,

aye'

Thank you ayenowitall,

I could not have said it better myself.

If a small text could be place under the scale to identify its purpose, then I could live with that, otherwise it's confusing.

Thanks for the response, 

pcnut

David Starr Jordan

Enjoy

pcnut

United States
                            Member #4416
                            April 22, 2004
                            1075 Posts
                            Posted: August 26, 2006, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Thank you ayenowitall,

I could not have said it better myself.

If a small text could be place under the scale to identify its purpose, then I could live with that, otherwise it's confusing.

Thanks for the response, 

pcnut

pcnut,

Whatever happens or doesn't happen with the new ratings, don't lose any sleep over it. Just keep right on hammering away at your favorite lottery games. Your state lottery will eventually give you recognition in cash. $$$

Personally, I think my rating as an Advanced member is a bit high. I've never won a lottery jackpot, I don't know anything that's helped me win more money than the average Joe, and the only advances I make are increased losses with most every passing draw. Bang Head

When I went to the drugstore to buy my lottery tickets this evening, I told the clerk of my newly bestowed Advanced status. She was unimpressed. She didn't even offer me a discount. LOL

Good luck,

aye'

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                              FEMA Region V Camp #21
                              United States
                              Member #520
                              July 27, 2002
                              5699 Posts
                              Posted: August 26, 2006, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Todd explained in his blog (that Emily provided a link to earlier in this thread) about how the ratings are derived.

They are not subjective ratings.  If you've been a member of LP for five years and have visited the site every day and posted things every day in those five years, you will have a higher rating than someone who joined a year ago and and has visited every day and posted things every day for that year.

Three factors are involved.  How many days have you been a member, how many of those days have you visited Lottery Post, and on how many of those days have you made a post?

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I understood it.  It's lind of like a seniority rating in a job.  If "Joe Smith" has worked for five years at the same job as you have for one year, with proportionate contributions to the company during  each's own tenure, and both of you have the same attendance record, who should get the higher rating, you or "Joe"?

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).