Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can someone explain to me this scale?

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4053 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2006, 12:25 am - IP Logged

LurkingThere's are two things I've seen over and over on this site that creates discord among the members and that is "popularity" and "politics."  Religion a distance third.

I just want to make one thing clear: this has absolutely nothing to do with money or traffic.  It has to do with identifying people who are daily contributors, and that's all.

Todd you can say this until the cows come home but human nature makes people not believe that it's not about their knowledge and worth.  Pcnut was expressing the feelings for having a low rating. 

There are always going to be those people who will always post, always predict, always participant etc.  I hope the $85 a year I cough up for premium membership qualifies me as being a daily contributor. 

takeemtothebank

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31365 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2006, 12:27 am - IP Logged

I feel kind of bummed for Todd right now.  He put a lot of effort into this and if one read his blog about it, it makes sense.

I'd trade my rating to any unhappy ratee because that's not why I'm here in the first place.   I give Todd enough grief on my own, up close and personal.  I don't want to see others giving him grief too.  Then I can't do it in good conscience.  lol

It's cool Todd, like you said in your blog, there were going to be people who liked it and didn't.  I just wish they took a minute to read your blog about it to see the reasoning and purpose behind it.

I'd be just fine with being a "new member".  I have nothing to prove here except my personal responsibility to myself and for what I post.

Thumbs Up

amen!!!!

love to nibble those micey feet.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2006, 12:34 am - IP Logged

Rick,

I agree that there is nothing subjective or arbitrary about the way the ratings are derived. Actually, only two factors are involved: (1) a member's actual number of posting days divided by (2) the number of days that Lottery Post has been around. (Lottery Post days) That's it. It's a very simple concept.

It's the purported interpretation of that simple ratio that I see as subjective. If I may quote from Todd's blog:

"It is my feeling that someone who has a high rating is by extension someone who has developed a very deep knowledge base of lotteries in general, as they would have been exposed to literally years of every type of information about the lottery, and in fact have participated to a very high extent, regardless of whatever their opinions may be, or whatever games they enjoy playing.  If you were to mention any particular lottery topic to a member with a very high rating, it is very likely they will have a good deal of knowledge about it, and would be able to help others to understand the topic.

In short, such people would be excellent resources on Lottery Post, and that is exactly what a rating system should capture!  Hence, I would consider this new rating system to be a breakthrough concept for identifying important resources on Lottery Post."

That's a lot to conclude from a simple fraction. That fraction really only states the proportion of days one has posted to the number of days lottery post has been around. Period. Any inferences about a member's knowledge based on that fraction really are subjective. Posting on the boards is an expressive function. The acquisition of knowledge is an endeavor of absorption. It might make more sense to conclude that those who never post have the deepest base of knowledge about lotteries. I don't really think that's the case either, but it does demonstrate the pitfalls of interpreting statistics.

If I may quote part of my response to Todd's blog entry:

"The ratings won't necessarily be a good indication of a member's knowledge or the quality of posts submitted. LP has some members who rarely post, but their posts are always valuable contributions. LP also has some members who basically submit a lot of junk posts with great frequency. "

I further suggested that a rating of individual posts, much like the topic ratings, would give a much more reliable indication of which members are regarded by others as being "excellent resources" on Lottery Post.

You see, the intended function of the member ratings is clearly far more than a simple matter of seniority on the site. I think that's what pcnut and some others are objecting to. Personally, a rating doesn't matter one way or the other to me. I won't be posting any more or less because of it. Being rated as an Advanced member doesn't make me any smarter or dumber about lotteries than I was before I had that rating bestowed on me. The only rating that I really concern myself with is the dollars I get for cashing a winning lottery ticket once in a while. Even that doesn't make a huge difference to me because I'm going to have to win a jackpot to get out of the whole I'm in. Now winning a jackpot by my own methods might actually make me feel like I've got some kind of knowledge.

Good luck,

aye'

Aye'

OK...Points well made and well taken.  I think Todd's only intention was to add a different perspective to "number of posts" and the relation of how often the member visited and if they posted when they visited.

The solution was credible.  If there are suggestions to improve the solution, we should provide them.  I'm sure Todd is open to suggestions.

Good post. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8364 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2006, 1:08 am - IP Logged

Todd went through a lot of rough times on here every time he made changes to this site someone had complaints about it. Less we forget this is his site to do with what he pleases. He has bent over backwards creating features not found anywhere on the net. He is at the forefront of web based technology something of which many of us have no clue about. He had designed and built the site from the ground up. It's his baby. he pampers it, powders it and spanks it's behind when it screws up.

I cant understand why someone would bemoan him for doing anything to better this site. The rankings and features here are similar to some sites in that they use stars or balls to denote a posters posting power. So he one upped every web based posting board by adding a feature not found anywhere on the net. Congratulations because of his creativity lots of other sites might copy him.

Nothing he does to this site is meant to belittle anyone. If anything it's done out of love because he loves what he's doing. When people don't understand or cant grasp things they are easy to lash out. I swear he's definitely a better man than me because of some of the people said and did things that made me feel like what the hell am i doing all this work for. I'd probably blow my mind and fix this site so it was just bare bones. No special features and people could forget about ever coming back here.

If ya don't like some features this site has just wait a while they'll be more changes. Ha!

This post is not meant to offend anyone just remind you that Todd can do whatever he wishes where this site is concerned and you can accept it or not.

Charlotte NC
          United States
          Member #17406
          June 18, 2005
          4053 Posts
          Posted: August 27, 2006, 1:16 am - IP Logged

I feel kind of bummed for Todd right now.  He put a lot of effort into this and if one read his blog about it, it makes sense.

I'd trade my rating to any unhappy ratee because that's not why I'm here in the first place.   I give Todd enough grief on my own, up close and personal.  I don't want to see others giving him grief too.  Then I can't do it in good conscience.  lol

It's cool Todd, like you said in your blog, there were going to be people who liked it and didn't.  I just wish they took a minute to read your blog about it to see the reasoning and purpose behind it.

I'd be just fine with being a "new member".  I have nothing to prove here except my personal responsibility to myself and for what I post.

Thumbs Up

What?I don't understand the purpose.  Why should I, a paying member be graded on whether I am a daily contributor.  Doesn't being a paying member make me a contributor?  If the grade doesn't represent our true knowledge, what good is it to new members. 

If this was a totally free site, then I could understand it, but most people pay money to be here and pcnut's feeling were obviously hurt and I'm sure there are others who are afraid to speak out. 

Why should anyone pay money to be graded on their knowledge of the lottery.  We all should be allowed to use the site at our own discretion if we are paying members.  Some people pay only to use the tools and nothing else and I can feel a poll by Lottomike.LOL  Like I said before you will have those faithful folks who will keep the wheels turning and the happening on this site.  They were here when it started and they will be probably be here to the end.     

I suggest that Veteran and Elitist stay for new members and all other grades are removed and that Veteran requires at least 3 years.  See how those folks like being hounded.

takeemtothebank

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8790 Posts
            Posted: August 27, 2006, 1:21 am - IP Logged

Todd went through a lot of rough times on here every time he made changes to this site someone had complaints about it. Less we forget this is his site to do with what he pleases. He has bent over backwards creating features not found anywhere on the net. He is at the forefront of web based technology something of which many of us have no clue about. He had designed and built the site from the ground up. It's his baby. he pampers it, powders it and spanks it's behind when it screws up.

I cant understand why someone would bemoan him for doing anything to better this site. The rankings and features here are similar to some sites in that they use stars or balls to denote a posters posting power. So he one upped every web based posting board by adding a feature not found anywhere on the net. Congratulations because of his creativity lots of other sites might copy him.

Nothing he does to this site is meant to belittle anyone. If anything it's done out of love because he loves what he's doing. When people don't understand or cant grasp things they are easy to lash out. I swear he's definitely a better man than me because of some of the people said and did things that made me feel like what the hell am i doing all this work for. I'd probably blow my mind and fix this site so it was just bare bones. No special features and people could forget about ever coming back here.

If ya don't like some features this site has just wait a while they'll be more changes. Ha!

This post is not meant to offend anyone just remind you that Todd can do whatever he wishes where this site is concerned and you can accept it or not.

I Agree!

MAGA

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: August 27, 2006, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Todd explained in his blog (that Emily provided a link to earlier in this thread) about how the ratings are derived.

They are not subjective ratings.  If you've been a member of LP for five years and have visited the site every day and posted things every day in those five years, you will have a higher rating than someone who joined a year ago and and has visited every day and posted things every day for that year.

Three factors are involved.  How many days have you been a member, how many of those days have you visited Lottery Post, and on how many of those days have you made a post?

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I understood it.  It's lind of like a seniority rating in a job.  If "Joe Smith" has worked for five years at the same job as you have for one year, with proportionate contributions to the company during  each's own tenure, and both of you have the same attendance record, who should get the higher rating, you or "Joe"?

Hmm...Emily didn't post anything before your post so you must be referring to my link!  I'll take that as a compliment because

(a) We all love Ms Kitty

(b) She is an Elite member 

So you are mistaking me for one of the "Elite" members which means I must be pretty cool.  As far as "Senior" rating goes, I'm too young to be "Senior" and I haven't been "Regular" since I began frequenting Taco Bell.  I don't want to be anyone's "Guru" to tell you the truth. People look to gurus to solve their problems and answer puzzling questions about the universe.  I'm still trying to figure out what a grape nut is or how someone who is upstanding can fall asleep at night.

Ponder

By the way, Rick, just keep in mind that I'm really more of a dog person. (no offense, Em)

Charlotte NC
                United States
                Member #17406
                June 18, 2005
                4053 Posts
                Posted: August 27, 2006, 1:52 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

I'm pretty sure that Todd will respect a paying member's request if they prefer not to have their rating posted.  Just like whether we want to post our age, birthday, email address etc. because it is a part of our profile.  I know Pnut doesn't want his displayed.   

It should be a choice in the profile and I think you will be surprised at the people who will choose not to have their's displayed.  Especially the ones who got bad ones.  Nobody want a bad rating displayed.  Maybe new member should be displayed for a short period of time. 

It shouldn't be forced on people who don't want it.  The only requirement that I remember was that we had to tell our correct state.

takeemtothebank

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #1303
                  March 27, 2003
                  1508 Posts
                  Posted: August 27, 2006, 8:23 am - IP Logged

Rick

I might be like a lot of people on here and couldn't give a hill of beans what my rating is...however, I have seen a few people when I was trying to decipher this, who were here less than me, posted less than me, and have probably logged on less than me, yet they are Experienced, or Advanced, or a Guru. It doesn't make any sense to me, but then again, it really doesn't matter. As long as people are learning and appreciate what I am presenting herein, that's all that matters to me. I enjoy the quest of chasing the prize more than what my reputation is.

That being said, that is a good explanation that you made on this...thank you!!

Pretty much "ditto" here.  If I find something I think is interesting, I reply. If it is not personally interesting to me, I don't.  I don't care what my rating is.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: August 27, 2006, 8:41 am - IP Logged

remember how the scouts had merit badges?

its kind of like working toward your eagle scout badge lottery style!

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
                      The Carolinas - Charlotte
                      United States
                      Member #21627
                      September 12, 2005
                      4138 Posts
                      Posted: August 27, 2006, 10:01 am - IP Logged

Thumbs Up

I feel bummed for Todd too, Rick. In the grand scheme of things, we are all here to learn how to make the lottery profitable for ourselves and each other. Who really cares what someone's rating is? I am going to post whether a newbie thinks I am an expert of if they think I am a buffoon (more likely the case! lol). My ideas will come out regardless of my rating.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7712 Posts
                        Posted: August 27, 2006, 10:20 am - IP Logged

cps10 said it all in one sentence for me,"Who really cares what someone's rating is?" So why bother "rating" anyone at all?  I'm sure you had the best intentions, Todd, for this new feature and, of course, some will like it and others won't. It will be interesting to see how it pans out but somehow it makes me feel like I'm back in school and being "graded". I read the blog and understand the concept behind it but when you see that bar up there next to your name with your "rating" it can stir some raw emotions in people, hence this thread.

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3333 Posts
                          Posted: August 27, 2006, 10:29 am - IP Logged

Like I commented in Todd's blog, I definitely like all changes and improvements he's done .... but I'm quite adaptive to change and always drove hubby nuts rearranging furniture.  Big Grin Angel

Good luck to everyone!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8364 Posts
                            Posted: August 27, 2006, 10:30 am - IP Logged

i am a member of another site for motorcycles I probably know more about this particular brand of motorcycles than many of the other members on the board with a few exceptions. however my status as a poster is a newbie, because i just joined the group a few weeks ago.

Now i didn't email the administrators and say to them i don't like your ranking system i am an advanced person i have knowledge beyond that of most posters. so you should change my status.

But because i understand as many others should that this is just a feature that comes with the territory. lots of other sites have similar features. As time goes by my ranking on that site will increase in level as i continue to post to threads. And everyone on the site that knows me, knows my character the knowledge i have about motorcycles and what my abilities are concerning motorcycles, and that i am not a newbie at all. The other posters that may not know me will find out in short order who i am.

So just like this site many people know me from my posts i see them praise one another yet i rarely see or read anyone remarks that i am a good predictor. however my prediction statistics speak for themselves. I rarely pay any attention to what numbers people posts in threads except the people who are constantly proving there methods work. Does this have anything to do with their posting level not by a long shot.

A person can join this site today post 3 numbers in their first post that win tonight and it wouldn't mean a thing except they posted some picks that won. By the same token a person whom has been on this site for years could post some picks and win and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

There status as a poster has nothing to do with their caricature just as you don't judge a book by it's cover. you can't judge a poster by there amount of posts they make but you can by the quality of what they post.

Some people are posting just to post something many times it has nothing to do with the lottery at all. Idle chit chat. And thousands of post by people complaining about someone's abilities to predict numbers or their methods.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              49835 Posts
                              Posted: August 27, 2006, 11:44 am - IP Logged

The Progressive Forum Participation Rating is quite kool, and I tend to be partisan when it comes to stuff like this, however the Terminology used with the Rating should relate more to what the Rating shows than the Knowledge/Expertise of the Member being Rated.

Some Example Ratings:
                              Too New To Rate
                              Contributes Annually
                              Contributes Bi-Annually
                              Contributes Quarterly
                              Contributes Bi-Monthly
                              Contributes Monthly
                              Contributes Weekly
                              Contributes Daily