Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:13 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can someone explain to me this scale?

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
The Carolinas - Charlotte
United States
Member #21627
September 12, 2005
4138 Posts
Posted: August 26, 2006, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

Todd explained in his blog (that Emily provided a link to earlier in this thread) about how the ratings are derived.

They are not subjective ratings.  If you've been a member of LP for five years and have visited the site every day and posted things every day in those five years, you will have a higher rating than someone who joined a year ago and and has visited every day and posted things every day for that year.

Three factors are involved.  How many days have you been a member, how many of those days have you visited Lottery Post, and on how many of those days have you made a post?

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I understood it.  It's lind of like a seniority rating in a job.  If "Joe Smith" has worked for five years at the same job as you have for one year, with proportionate contributions to the company during  each's own tenure, and both of you have the same attendance record, who should get the higher rating, you or "Joe"?

Rick

I might be like a lot of people on here and couldn't give a hill of beans what my rating is...however, I have seen a few people when I was trying to decipher this, who were here less than me, posted less than me, and have probably logged on less than me, yet they are Experienced, or Advanced, or a Guru. It doesn't make any sense to me, but then again, it really doesn't matter. As long as people are learning and appreciate what I am presenting herein, that's all that matters to me. I enjoy the quest of chasing the prize more than what my reputation is.

That being said, that is a good explanation that you made on this...thank you!!

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5120 Posts
    Posted: August 26, 2006, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Would you  rather  ............................................BE???????

A fish with SCALES or a shark with SKIN???????

Just remember,..there are many types of fish &

sharks....."choose carefully".........

$$$$JACKPOT$$$$

Thinking of... Party

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23261 Posts
      Posted: August 26, 2006, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Todd explained in his blog (that Emily provided a link to earlier in this thread) about how the ratings are derived.

They are not subjective ratings.  If you've been a member of LP for five years and have visited the site every day and posted things every day in those five years, you will have a higher rating than someone who joined a year ago and and has visited every day and posted things every day for that year.

Three factors are involved.  How many days have you been a member, how many of those days have you visited Lottery Post, and on how many of those days have you made a post?

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I understood it.  It's lind of like a seniority rating in a job.  If "Joe Smith" has worked for five years at the same job as you have for one year, with proportionate contributions to the company during  each's own tenure, and both of you have the same attendance record, who should get the higher rating, you or "Joe"?

Hey Rick, out of your three criteria you mentioned, only the third one actually counts.

Pcnut, I'm sorry that you feel put-out and "penalized and discriminated" (your words).  Maybe in the future I'll do something that you absolutely love, and someone else feels that I am "penalizing and discriminating" them.

Thanks to everyone who have been taking the time to explain in different ways how this new ratings system works.  With any new idea sometimes it takes several different explanations before it is clear to all.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

konane's avatar - wallace
        Atlanta, GA
        United States
        Member #1265
        March 13, 2003
        3333 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2006, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Always takes time to become accustomed to anything different ... like rearranging furniture.  Wink

Good luck to everyone!

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
          The Carolinas - Charlotte
          United States
          Member #21627
          September 12, 2005
          4138 Posts
          Posted: August 26, 2006, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Always takes time to become accustomed to anything different ... like rearranging furniture.  Wink

LOL...that is true...just don't stub your toe in the dark :)

Todd - thanks for the continued improvements...the site just keeps getting better and better!!

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23261 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2006, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

Well, there went the remainder of my integrity as a valued LP member!Just, "one of the ones in the "don't like it" category. "I guess I'm on this blacklist now...

Todd, how about placing a small text above the scale identifying what it is then?

pcnut

Oops, missed this gem of a post when I made my last reply.

You guess you're on a blacklist now?  What a ridiculous thing to say!

Let's see... According to you, here are the things I am guilty of:

1. "Blacklisting you"
            2. "Attacking your integrity"
            3. "Penalizing and discriminating against you"

In the future, if you have some suggestions or a complaint, I think it would be much more productive to contact me through Private Messaging, rather than launching an attack on the forums, don't you think?

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31347 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2006, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

guru is self explanatory.  How about a brief descrip/definition of the others?

love to nibble those micey feet.

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23261 Posts
                Posted: August 26, 2006, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

guru is self explanatory.  How about a brief descrip/definition of the others?

Maybe in the future.  I need to get off this issue for a while, before all my good feelings about it are stripped away.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                  FEMA Region V Camp #21
                  United States
                  Member #520
                  July 27, 2002
                  5699 Posts
                  Posted: August 26, 2006, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Hey Rick, out of your three criteria you mentioned, only the third one actually counts.

Pcnut, I'm sorry that you feel put-out and "penalized and discriminated" (your words).  Maybe in the future I'll do something that you absolutely love, and someone else feels that I am "penalizing and discriminating" them.

Thanks to everyone who have been taking the time to explain in different ways how this new ratings system works.  With any new idea sometimes it takes several different explanations before it is clear to all.

Todd,

Thanks...didn't mean to misrepresent it.  I gotta re-read your blog  and anyone else with questions should read it too. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23261 Posts
                    Posted: August 26, 2006, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

pcnut,

We can't really hold it against Todd for trying to to increase regular participation on the site. Whether it's his intent or not, the effect of the new ratings on those who are concerned with ratings will be to prod them into posting something every day. That doesn't guarantee that people will post anything of value, but it will demonstrate more traffic on the site, and that translates into $$$.

If you're concerned about your rating, just start posting something every day. Your rating will slowly improve over time. If you don't care about your rating, just work harder on your lottery picks. Your winnings will buy you a lot more than any rating of any kind.

Good luck,

aye'

I just want to make one thing clear: this has absolutely nothing to do with money or traffic.  It has to do with identifying people who are daily contributors, and that's all.

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23261 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2006, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

pcnut,

Now I see your point, and it just might be a valid one. I understood the rating because I'd already read about it in Todd's blog, but I can see how that rating and the other indicators (level of membership, level of total posts, poster ratings) might be confusing if a reader were not familiar with them. One might wonder, "Gold what?"  Or another reader might ask, "What exactly is being rated four out of five stars?" Yet another person might question, "What exactly makes someone a Top Poster of any degree?" Heck, all of that might already be covered somewhere on this site, but maybe it should be made a little more prominent in a place like the Home page. Maybe there should also be some disclosure of exactly what numerical ratios (number of posting days divided by the number of Lottery Post days) qualify members for each of the rankings. With that, members would at least know exactly how far they have to go to improve their standing as a resource on LP.

Good luck,

aye'

I wish I had the time to put together that level of documentation, but I'm only one person, and if I spent that much time documenting, there wouldn't be half the features that exist today.  If someone would like to volunteer to write some help material to put on the site, I'd be happy to receive it.  Do you want to take a stab at it?

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                        Member #4416
                        April 22, 2004
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: August 27, 2006, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Rick,

I agree that there is nothing subjective or arbitrary about the way the ratings are derived. Actually, only two factors are involved: (1) a member's actual number of posting days divided by (2) the number of days that Lottery Post has been around. (Lottery Post days) That's it. It's a very simple concept.

It's the purported interpretation of that simple ratio that I see as subjective. If I may quote from Todd's blog:

"It is my feeling that someone who has a high rating is by extension someone who has developed a very deep knowledge base of lotteries in general, as they would have been exposed to literally years of every type of information about the lottery, and in fact have participated to a very high extent, regardless of whatever their opinions may be, or whatever games they enjoy playing.  If you were to mention any particular lottery topic to a member with a very high rating, it is very likely they will have a good deal of knowledge about it, and would be able to help others to understand the topic.

In short, such people would be excellent resources on Lottery Post, and that is exactly what a rating system should capture!  Hence, I would consider this new rating system to be a breakthrough concept for identifying important resources on Lottery Post."

That's a lot to conclude from a simple fraction. That fraction really only states the proportion of days one has posted to the number of days lottery post has been around. Period. Any inferences about a member's knowledge based on that fraction really are subjective. Posting on the boards is an expressive function. The acquisition of knowledge is an endeavor of absorption. It might make more sense to conclude that those who never post have the deepest base of knowledge about lotteries. I don't really think that's the case either, but it does demonstrate the pitfalls of interpreting statistics.

If I may quote part of my response to Todd's blog entry:

"The ratings won't necessarily be a good indication of a member's knowledge or the quality of posts submitted. LP has some members who rarely post, but their posts are always valuable contributions. LP also has some members who basically submit a lot of junk posts with great frequency. "

I further suggested that a rating of individual posts, much like the topic ratings, would give a much more reliable indication of which members are regarded by others as being "excellent resources" on Lottery Post.

You see, the intended function of the member ratings is clearly far more than a simple matter of seniority on the site. I think that's what pcnut and some others are objecting to. Personally, a rating doesn't matter one way or the other to me. I won't be posting any more or less because of it. Being rated as an Advanced member doesn't make me any smarter or dumber about lotteries than I was before I had that rating bestowed on me. The only rating that I really concern myself with is the dollars I get for cashing a winning lottery ticket once in a while. Even that doesn't make a huge difference to me because I'm going to have to win a jackpot to get out of the whole I'm in. Now winning a jackpot by my own methods might actually make me feel like I've got some kind of knowledge.

Good luck,

aye'

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23261 Posts
                          Posted: August 27, 2006, 12:12 am - IP Logged

I'll leave you all to fight it out over who is right.  I will leave this thread having explained to you all the best I can why this is a great way to do it, and you all can argue theory all day long if you'd like.

Adios! See Ya!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                            FEMA Region V Camp #21
                            United States
                            Member #520
                            July 27, 2002
                            5699 Posts
                            Posted: August 27, 2006, 12:19 am - IP Logged

I feel kind of bummed for Todd right now.  He put a lot of effort into this and if one read his blog about it, it makes sense.

I'd trade my rating to any unhappy ratee because that's not why I'm here in the first place.   I give Todd enough grief on my own, up close and personal.  I don't want to see others giving him grief too.  Then I can't do it in good conscience.  lol

It's cool Todd, like you said in your blog, there were going to be people who liked it and didn't.  I just wish they took a minute to read your blog about it to see the reasoning and purpose behind it.

I'd be just fine with being a "new member".  I have nothing to prove here except my personal responsibility to myself and for what I post.

Thumbs Up

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                              Member #4416
                              April 22, 2004
                              1075 Posts
                              Posted: August 27, 2006, 12:24 am - IP Logged

I wish I had the time to put together that level of documentation, but I'm only one person, and if I spent that much time documenting, there wouldn't be half the features that exist today.  If someone would like to volunteer to write some help material to put on the site, I'd be happy to receive it.  Do you want to take a stab at it?

Todd,

Thanks for the offer, but I'd be hard pressed to offer explanations for things that I don't fully understand myself. The numerical ratios which define the member rating categories would simply be eight numbers (fractions, decimal equivalents, or percentages); however, you are the only one who knows what those numbers are. I don't have a complete understanding of how the top poster and post ratings are calculated either. I wouldn't have a clue about how to document things that I don't understand. And if what you're looking for involves any programming code, you could fit my knowledge of that into a thimble... a very small thimble.

aye'