Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Protect Your System

Topic closed. 69 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
Member #5344
June 30, 2004
23641 Posts
Posted: February 1, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Most lottery systems are nothing more than analyzing a data file and summarizing the results in different ways.  Can such things as adding a columns of numbers and dividing their amounts to get the averages or medians be copyrighted? 

Predicting combinations of numbers has usually been picking numbers randomly to form combinations that have never come up or equal to some popular sums or using some wheel designs that are already in a public forum somewhere. 

You might be able to copyright an article about how your system works but how does that prevent someone from writing a piece of software that incorporate some of those ideas?  And if it doesn't win any money would you really care or would you just be upset that someone was making money off an idea that was similar to one that you had that didn't win any money either?

If someone has a system that really wins money, I doubt if they are going to be more concern about copyrighting it than winning some money using it.  Most lottery winners are people who bought a lottery ticket and got lucky, that can't be copyrighted.

I agree with you...  Dont worry about copyrighting.. Just make the money with the system.. If someone happens to come upon some of your ideas, the ones you kept to yourself.. then it was meant to be.. Allow them to make money.. whether selling the info.. or just playing the lottery..

I had prefer to play the lottery.. Selling my system would require more work.. 

It is play time for me.. I have worked all I want to with this lottery..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: February 1, 2007, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Lottolaughs for the link I will look around some more but this little piece I found doesnt sound to good..lol

What Is Not Protected by Copyright?

Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:

• Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded)

• Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents

• Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration

• Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources)

The specifics can get very confusing but I know it can be done. LottoVantage's StatPath System is copyrighted. Maybe it would be a good idea to give him a PM and ask him for some details. Smile

United States
      Member #119
      February 19, 2002
      527 Posts
      Posted: February 1, 2007, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

What I done was wrote it down on paper and put it in the Us mail and then mailed it to my self and left it in envolope with the post mark date on it I never opened it .

What we are talking about here is intellectual property.  If I remember my research done long ago, I believe a Court will NOT recognize anything that is self-mailed.

You must copyright your intellectual property.

How?  You can download the appropriate forms from the government's Library of Congress website (I believe), fill them out, follow all directives, etc.

If I share my intellectual property with you, and you copyright it first, YOU own the copyright.  I'm not an attorney, there might be exceptions. 

To prove an infringement about a song, for example, I would have to prove that

1) your song was substantially similar to mine

AND

2) I would have to prove you had ACCESS.  A recent example: George Harrison lost a suit claiming his song, "My Sweet Lord" was an infringement of "He's So Fine".  He did not consciously copy (steal) it, but a court found it was substantially similar and of course, he and a zillion others had access to it.

Xerox actually developed the Graphical User Interface first, not Apple, but they did not bring it to market.  Apple, who had seen it, reverse engineered it and when Xerox sued ten years later, they lost the suit.

Consult an attorney for the system you describe.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2007, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

what are the legal steps to protect a system you have..does anyone here on LP have anything that is legally protected by Law?..Lets just say I need some legal protection for something I found and we will leave it at that..

The simplest way to protect your "system" is to NOT publish it.

Three can keep a secret........ if two of them are dead.

Larger corporations than you have trouble protecting their I.P.

Even if you could prove that every other winner of a given game, on a given day, used your system, the genie is still out of the bottle. You don't have the resources (or authority) to hunt down every winner of every game (every day) and demand they prove they didn't use your system to win.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19817 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2007, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

The simplest way to protect your "system" is to NOT publish it.

Three can keep a secret........ if two of them are dead.

Larger corporations than you have trouble protecting their I.P.

Even if you could prove that every other winner of a given game, on a given day, used your system, the genie is still out of the bottle. You don't have the resources (or authority) to hunt down every winner of every game (every day) and demand they prove they didn't use your system to win.

First, he would have to prove that his system could have predicted every other winning combinations in the games within parameters that most players could afford.

Second, once he had proved the first point the next question would be "Why didn't you play those combinations yourself?".

Third does exist because he wakes up and the dream is over.  Funny when you're dreaming or in la la land anything is possible even correctly predicting a winner in every other lottery game.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bigdaddy's avatar - aviator2 1.jpg
            BETWEEN OAKRIDGE AND WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB
            United States
            Member #1647
            June 10, 2003
            2202 Posts
            Posted: February 3, 2007, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

First, he would have to prove that his system could have predicted every other winning combinations in the games within parameters that most players could afford.

Second, once he had proved the first point the next question would be "Why didn't you play those combinations yourself?".

Third does exist because he wakes up and the dream is over.  Funny when you're dreaming or in la la land anything is possible even correctly predicting a winner in every other lottery game.

i will not share my system and will publish hotsheets from it after i finish with it,,,nobody can take my results and fiigure out how it works....ancient egyptian secret and i am keeping it that way.....

hail thor's hammer and the pi-ed pipers master tune..... 

Relax,Bigdaddy has your number!!!!!

Pi is the way...

turning $30 or less into thousands everyday!!

here we go steelers ..here we go---------stairway to seven 

TIME FOR THE LOMBARDI TROPHY TO  COME  HOME..

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: February 3, 2007, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Come on people. We're talking about systems for choosing lottery numbers here, geez. It's one of those things that the best way to keep it protected is to not tell anyone about it. That's all.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: February 4, 2007, 1:56 am - IP Logged

Mailing it to yourself is, of course, the easiest cheapest way but even better is a paid copyright. Here's a website to read up on it---  www.copyright.gov/  It might only cost about $45 which isn't bad to protect your work.

Mailing it to yourself, your Attorney, anyone of 'power' to do anything, won't work.  This I know for fact, I know folks that have been there/done that/got beat.

And getting a Copyright isn't that easy on something like this, because you have to pay for a copyright search, in which folks may spend a year or two comparing every kind of system to yours before you can be issued one, and if they screw up and miss one, you still lose.

It's not like copyrighting a photograph. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: February 4, 2007, 2:05 am - IP Logged

What we are talking about here is intellectual property.  If I remember my research done long ago, I believe a Court will NOT recognize anything that is self-mailed.

You must copyright your intellectual property.

How?  You can download the appropriate forms from the government's Library of Congress website (I believe), fill them out, follow all directives, etc.

If I share my intellectual property with you, and you copyright it first, YOU own the copyright.  I'm not an attorney, there might be exceptions. 

To prove an infringement about a song, for example, I would have to prove that

1) your song was substantially similar to mine

AND

2) I would have to prove you had ACCESS.  A recent example: George Harrison lost a suit claiming his song, "My Sweet Lord" was an infringement of "He's So Fine".  He did not consciously copy (steal) it, but a court found it was substantially similar and of course, he and a zillion others had access to it.

Xerox actually developed the Graphical User Interface first, not Apple, but they did not bring it to market.  Apple, who had seen it, reverse engineered it and when Xerox sued ten years later, they lost the suit.

Consult an attorney for the system you describe.

Greg, same thing happened with the song Ray Parker Jr. and the theme song to 'Ghostbusters', Huey Lewis and the News sued him because it sounded just like their song 'I want a new drug'.  The movie Ghostbusters came out right when Huey Lewis was hot, I understand the film company wanted Lewis to write the theme song, but Lewis wanted too much $$$$, so they didn't do it. 

Enter Ray Parker Jr.

Lewis won the suit.

PS - you sure it was Xerox and not H-P ?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19817 Posts
                    Posted: February 4, 2007, 3:05 am - IP Logged

i will not share my system and will publish hotsheets from it after i finish with it,,,nobody can take my results and fiigure out how it works....ancient egyptian secret and i am keeping it that way.....

hail thor's hammer and the pi-ed pipers master tune..... 

Are you saying the ancient Egyptians had games like PowerBall and MegaMillions and the skills to predict their outcomes?

Evil Looking       

Griffith, In
                      United States
                      Member #41637
                      June 20, 2006
                      266 Posts
                      Posted: February 4, 2007, 3:45 am - IP Logged

what are the legal steps to protect a system you have..does anyone here on LP have anything that is legally protected by Law?..Lets just say I need some legal protection for something I found and we will leave it at that..

Hi Lotterybraker;

Everyone here on the Great LP, are right in their certain way! But it is up to you on how you want to go with this great discovery (first let's take some small steps and lets start this paper trail!)........ if you (and I believe) you would like to patten this discovery. I like the mail trick, then I would go to a notary and get it done their as well. Then I would go and hire a lawyer!

Thank you and have a prosperous day!

Maverick2842.......out!Party

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7712 Posts
                        Posted: February 4, 2007, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Hi Lotterybraker;

Everyone here on the Great LP, are right in their certain way! But it is up to you on how you want to go with this great discovery (first let's take some small steps and lets start this paper trail!)........ if you (and I believe) you would like to patten this discovery. I like the mail trick, then I would go to a notary and get it done their as well. Then I would go and hire a lawyer!

Maverick,I believe you are on the right track. You DO have to go about it in steps. Nothing wrong with mailing it to yourself, at least you will have SOMETHING instead of absolutely nothing. 

The next step is up to you,and that will be determined how serious you are about all of this. Lawyers,notary,copyright office,I'm sure you will have to do a lot of research and phoning around to find out what the next best step for you is and what you can afford. 

My question is,what media form is this "system" going to be presented in? Book form? Computer software form? If it is just an idea on paper I would think it would be a lot more difficult to copyright. But if it was all written out in book or pamplet form, I don't see why it would be that difficult to do. I copywrote a screenplay once. Do you really think anyone really reads through it? It cost $40 and took a year for the actual copyright to come back to me. But I understand that once your fee and application get there to Washington DC it is copywritten already without you having to actually have the paper in hand.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19817 Posts
                          Posted: February 4, 2007, 11:59 am - IP Logged

I'm assuming this winning system is actually a working system that is making money as we speak.  As such it has to be a set of instructions that's either in a text form or a computer program and it's just a matter of formally presenting it for copyrighting or patenting.

There are many firms that will take it from this point and go forward for a fee, many advertise on TV and a google search will find more.  Before I retired a co-worker designed a microwave bacon cooking dish and he spent more than $8,000 with such a firm for patent  and copyright searches and a manufacturing and marketing plan before he relied the only ones that were ever going to make any money on his idea was the that firm he hired.  Lotterybraker may be better off to just continue making money with his system and keeping the details to himself

Evil Looking       

JAP69's avatar - alas
                            South Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #6
                            November 4, 2001
                            8790 Posts
                            Posted: February 4, 2007, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

Could a lottery system that is computer programable be copyrighted?

You would have a programing sequence in the system from the data fed into it to arrive at a list of numbers to play.

WHATT

United States
                              Member #10720
                              January 23, 2005
                              933 Posts
                              Posted: February 4, 2007, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

The best way to protect your system is to keep changing it as conditions change. My system yesterday is obsolete today, but replaced with a better one. At least as often as I have time to modify it.. The other way to protect it is don't share it with anyone, even close friends or relatives, not even hint at the technology you use. The only way I might share anything is if I were getting something major in return. I mean, once you win big THEN you can decide who you want to share with.

One other exception is in States that have fixed payouts... it's ok if a lot of people win via the same numbers if it doesn't reduce YOUR prize.