Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I am going to try to change the rules about annonymity...

Topic closed. 68 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think I have a shot?

Yes, but with much hardwork and lots of time. [ 13 ]  [35.14%]
Fuggetaboutit! You have no shot! [ 19 ]  [51.35%]
Winners should go public to show there is no fix. [ 5 ]  [13.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2007, 9:32 am - IP Logged

When I win my jackpot, I will seek out other jackpot winners and try to get a law passed that would allow jackpot and 2nd prize winners to claim their winnings through an attorney or proxy in ALL states.  I know the game's rules are the ultimate say but there has to be some sort of change to this rule.  I know the games want a name and face attached to the winner to preserve the integrity of the game, so I say attach the proxy or attorney's name and face to the winnings for the public to see.

Just require that the actual winner give the attorney or proxy a statement to be read at the press conference.  This would save the winners MUCH headache of unwanted media attention, possible danger, ungrateful relatives and friends, scammers, and the gazillions of people asking for handouts.

I know I posted a thread similiar to this, I felt this warranted it's own thread.

Whaddya think?  Do I have a shot? 

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

SirMetro's avatar - center
    East of Atlanta
    United States
    Member #6191
    August 11, 2004
    1389 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2007, 10:46 am - IP Logged

When I win my jackpot, I will seek out other jackpot winners and try to get a law passed that would allow jackpot and 2nd prize winners to claim their winnings through an attorney or proxy in ALL states.  I know the game's rules are the ultimate say but there has to be some sort of change to this rule.  I know the games want a name and face attached to the winner to preserve the integrity of the game, so I say attach the proxy or attorney's name and face to the winnings for the public to see.

Just require that the actual winner give the attorney or proxy a statement to be read at the press conference.  This would save the winners MUCH headache of unwanted media attention, possible danger, ungrateful relatives and friends, scammers, and the gazillions of people asking for handouts.

I know I posted a thread similiar to this, I felt this warranted it's own thread.

Just curious...but what law is it that your trying to change?

Rules currently allow the prize to be collected by a representative, so I guess I really don't get what your trying to accomplish here. Sounds redundant to what already exists.

As for the winners, the family and (so-called) friends are going to find out sooner or later anyway, so the headaches are only going to be delayed, not stopped. As for scammers, doesn't matter if you have money or not, they are still going to persue you.

Perhaps if you posted some sort of clarification as to what the current rules are and maybe post what the rules that you would like to see.

BTW...with the Lotteries, the guidlines are referenced as Rules, not Laws. The rules are enforced by the Lottery Commision and/or Organization that manages the Lottery in question. Laws are something created and enforced by the Government and differ substantially from Rules in both application and method of enforcement.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8363 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2007, 10:47 am - IP Logged

I hope you have a lot of time on your hands. In order to get the lottery to change it's rules regarding anonymity. You will most likely have to start a petition. Unless you are an attorney or outspoken member in your community, you might have to hire an attorney to draw up any papers regarding your plea. You will most likely have to petition the courts.

When the lottery established it's guidelines for distributing money they built in clauses you might not be aware of. You will need to find and read all the rules concerning their practices. To get any state to change any rules there are many hurdles to overcome.

In order to accomplish your task you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that going public is detrimental, causes more hardship than good. Ok so you'll say look at what happened to this person or that person when they won. They'll fire back the news media makes more money off of people who put themselves in the limelight then go a do things to cause media attention. They'll site that many of there jackpot winners have gone public and not been harassed or their lives greatly disrupted because they took the necessary steps to avoid such meanderings.

Before you take on your quest you might want to talk with your state senator lay your cards on the table and see what he/she thinks. Good luck!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

There's something even better than that, and more efficient, in the works. The JWPP, The Jackpot Winner Protection Program.

Winners will be represented by consultants who attend the press conference for them, screen their mail and phone calls, (Even after they have changed their phone number and gotten disposable phones), etc...

This way, it won't matter if the winner is in an "anonymous" state (one that allows you to remain so), or not!

Instead of dealing with individual attorneys, state by state, winners will only have to call the JWPP, and everything will be taken care of.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49784 Posts
          Posted: March 13, 2007, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Go, For It!

It'll Be A Great Learning Experience!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2007, 11:09 am - IP Logged

When I hit the jackpot I'm going to the lottery office pick up my check and move right then and buy new friend's..Simple...You got 6 month's to set things up so you should have no problem..Good luck to everyone,,,especially me...

SirMetro's avatar - center
              East of Atlanta
              United States
              Member #6191
              August 11, 2004
              1389 Posts
              Posted: March 13, 2007, 11:10 am - IP Logged

BTW...I forgot to ask...what headache medication do you prefer so I know which Company to buy additional stock in?

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                Member #567
                August 14, 2002
                484 Posts
                Posted: March 13, 2007, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Most states do NOT allow anonymity, because lotteries generally want the public to be assured that the grand prize is being paid to a real person.  Only a few states allow anonymity.  If you want to remain anonymous, I suggest that you go to a state where you can claim prizes anonymously.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
                  Member #34266
                  March 1, 2006
                  188 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2007, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Or you could wait to claim the jackpot, a really long time, claim the jackpot on a  busy news day.  I never check on the winners after the fact, when  I do check, I don't remember their names.  Unless of course it someone I know, and I won't forget they won the jackpot. 

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                    Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #46493
                    September 11, 2006
                    4173 Posts
                    Posted: March 13, 2007, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

Time devoted to getting this law passed in all states would require too much effort, and take time away from studying the numbers and hitting the winners!

Maybe try to do this AFTER you win your jackpot.  You'll have plenty of time then! 

Keep it simple 

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10353 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2007, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

MegaWinner

Listen to rundown99 and Surge.

The lottery provides the games for us to choose to play, or not.

The players could, if enough of them acted together, get a game changed by not playing it (and file that under 'once upon a time'....) 

But as far as an individual getting a state or lottery to change to allowing a jackpot winner to be anonymous, well, we don't dictate to the lottery, it sets the rules.

Read the back of your tickets, in some states the ticket itself is an agreement to a press release -  you have to sign the ticket to collect, so in essence when you sign it you've just agreed to a press release.

The best time to attempt a lottery to do anything would be when it is in the planning stages. That would now be a lottery in a state that presently doesn't have lottery. But getting a state that already has an established lottery to change their policies is really reaching.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                        Member #41383
                        June 16, 2006
                        1969 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2007, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

If you are too scared to have your name out there, then PLEASE don't play the lottery.

It just kills me to see people doing something - knowing the rules beforehand - yet they STILL do those things, then WHINE because they don't like the rules that were set BEFOREHAND. 

Why must 'everyone' assume they are going to get killed, abducted, or taken to the cleaners IF they win ?

You only hear of people that have made bad decisions - you seldom hear anything about the other 90% of the winners.

The exploits of Jack Whittaker are well-documented - but the lottery didn't do that to him - HE did it to him. What about ALL the winners there have been since then ?  Anyone hear much about any of them ?   Nooooooooo

No matter WHAT you do, winning the lottery means a lifestyle change, so by playing the lottery and possibly winning, you accept that: so either deal with it, or don't play. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: March 13, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Someone once brought this up before and my answer was that it's possible to fight this in court. However, this was the scene I pictured (I'm editing for the sake of brevity)

You get a team of lawyers to challenge the constitutionality of the lottery rules.

You fight the lottery all the way to Supreme Court for your right to remain anonymous.

You win your batte.

You are invited to appear on the Today Show.

You are invited to appear on Larry King Live.

Your picture appears on the cover of several Law Review publications.

You are now the most famous person who won a case against a state lottery for the right to remain anonymous.  Smiley

Good Luck.  Just keep in mind that, no matter how rich you become, the world doesn't revolve around you, and never will.

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10353 Posts
                            Posted: March 13, 2007, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring 

"You are now the most famous person who won a case against a state lottery for the right to remain anonymous.  Smiley"

This is still funny!

Green laugh

Lep

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #50273
                              March 3, 2007
                              348 Posts
                              Posted: March 13, 2007, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

If you are too scared to have your name out there, then PLEASE don't play the lottery.

It just kills me to see people doing something - knowing the rules beforehand - yet they STILL do those things, then WHINE because they don't like the rules that were set BEFOREHAND. 

Why must 'everyone' assume they are going to get killed, abducted, or taken to the cleaners IF they win ?

You only hear of people that have made bad decisions - you seldom hear anything about the other 90% of the winners.

The exploits of Jack Whittaker are well-documented - but the lottery didn't do that to him - HE did it to him. What about ALL the winners there have been since then ?  Anyone hear much about any of them ?   Nooooooooo

No matter WHAT you do, winning the lottery means a lifestyle change, so by playing the lottery and possibly winning, you accept that: so either deal with it, or don't play. 

First, I play the lottery because I want to win.  Secondly I know most of the rules of the lottery games I play.  Third, I do not "whine"?  Fourth, I did not "assume they are going to get killed, abducted, or taken to the cleaners if they win". 

My whole reason for doing such a thing would be to avoid any forseeable problems that may arise no matter how big or small.  And just because I want to remain annonymous does not mean I think the world revolves around me, thats reaching.

Also, what you don't hear about is the "family" and 'friends" that will stop at no end to try and get a piece of your pie.  How many people would actaully report something like that or want that to be in the public's eye?  I doubt very few.  So please don't assume its the other way around all the time.  

I bet that most lottery jackpot winners would in hindsight have chosen to remain annonymous had the choice been offered.

Its a no brainer.  Some protection is better than none.

Geez, there are synical people on this board.