Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I am going to try to change the rules about annonymity...

Topic closed. 68 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Stack47.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think I have a shot?

Yes, but with much hardwork and lots of time. [ 13 ]  [35.14%]
Fuggetaboutit! You have no shot! [ 19 ]  [51.35%]
Winners should go public to show there is no fix. [ 5 ]  [13.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
700 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2007, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Most states do NOT allow anonymity, because lotteries generally want the public to be assured that the grand prize is being paid to a real person.  Only a few states allow anonymity.  If you want to remain anonymous, I suggest that you go to a state where you can claim prizes anonymously.

True, but there are some loopholes that will allow for some anomymity.

Many states do allow winners to claim their prizes using a trust or a corporation.  Although this isn't completely anonymous, it does provide for some anomymity in that it will take more effort to find the winner's name than just looking in the newspaper.

I wonder if using a corporation from somewhere like Nevada or New Mexico, which do not require the officers in a corporation be part of public record, to claim a lottery prize would provide a level of anomymity.  Again it wouldn't be 100% anonymous, but it would help.

100% anomymity isn't usually possible, but there are things someone can do that will require those trying to track you down to do more work to find you.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2007, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

True, but there are some loopholes that will allow for some anomymity.

Many states do allow winners to claim their prizes using a trust or a corporation.  Although this isn't completely anonymous, it does provide for some anomymity in that it will take more effort to find the winner's name than just looking in the newspaper.

I wonder if using a corporation from somewhere like Nevada or New Mexico, which do not require the officers in a corporation be part of public record, to claim a lottery prize would provide a level of anomymity.  Again it wouldn't be 100% anonymous, but it would help.

100% anomymity isn't usually possible, but there are things someone can do that will require those trying to track you down to do more work to find you.

First thing you do is disconnect your phone, and buy disposable cell phones. You can get a 'real' phone with a 'silent' number later when you get settled into your new house.

Second, you move. It might be temporary, such as to a Hotel/Motel nearby, but that's what you MIGHT consider doing.

Then you buy a Glock. (sic) 

Some things you just have to do because it 'comes with the territory', and you either accept it and deal with it, or you spend the rest of your life running from it.

We know it's bad to smoke - it says so right on the box - folks still do.

We know it's bad to drink and drive - folks still do. We read about them in the paper.

We know if we win the lottery our name will be 'out there' - but we still play... 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10391 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2007, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Delaware offers corporations, too.

This is one of the things you learn living in Nevada - if a person takes out a safety deposit box at a bank, "Uncle Sam" can go into that box if they want to, for settling an estate or whatever.

If the same person forms a Navada corporation (or any) and takes out the box in the name of the coporation, only an 'officer' from the corporation (i.e., that person) can get into tha box.

Re: anonymity. Let's do a little story.

Once upon a time, there was a jackpot winner, we'll call her Lowe.

Lowe wanted to reamin anonynmous but lived in a state that didn't want its winners to. So Lowe hired a mouthpiece and filed a lawsuit that became known as Lowe v State....

tbc.... 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #50273
        March 3, 2007
        348 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2007, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Yes, you are whining, complaining, whatever........

Friends and family WILL find out, I promise you that, it's too big of a deal to NOT notice that Uncle Joe just moved into one of eleven houses he bought OR is driving one of twenty exotic cars he now owns..... would you not agree ?  People - especially family - TALK. That's the nature of relatives: it's what they do.

I know two jackpot winners, one of which I talk to about five times a year, and he has never had a problem with friends, family, or anybody, and he is rather well-known around here.  The second one I have not talked to in a few years, but mutual friends have, and they have told me he has not been hounded at all by anyone; nobody had called or shown up on his doorstep looking for a handout... but he does get some requests by mail to fund/donate to organizations.  Same as we do with all the credit card apps we ALL get several times a week - and we simply shred them.

I really think you are watching waaay too much TV - you are only seeing the stories of a small percentage of winners that can't say no, so they do what american society does best today - blame someone else for their own problems. 

There is NO 'curse of the lottery', there is only 'the curse of people that are clueless on how to handle life in general'. 

Now, if you want to discuss 'cynical', let's discuss why you are so incredibly concerned about something that most normal people should know how to handle.... that is, making good use of the word 'no', and learning how to hang up a telephone on someone, I do it to telemarketers all the time...    and I have done it to family, and I have done it to 'fair weather friends'.

No buddy, from thread to thread YOU are the one always whining and complaining about somebody supposedly whining or complaining.  You have got to be one of the most negative, synical, "know-it-all" people infected with "gotta-be-right-itis" I have ever met in all my years on this Earth; and believe me buddy, I have met LOTS of people.  I swear it seems as if you NEVER have anything positive to say; and I have noticed this in my short tenure on this site.

"Now, if you want to discuss 'cynical', let's discuss why you are so incredibly concerned about something that most normal people should know how to handle.... that is, making good use of the word 'no', and learning how to hang up a telephone on someone, I do it to telemarketers all the time...    and I have done it to family, and I have done it to 'fair weather friends'."

There you go with your negative, blanket, and horridly wrong assumptions again.  Tssk, tssk, tssk.  Whats even more silly is your incredible ability to come in threads, read the minds of people, analyze them to perfection, and "tell them about themselves" with the AMAZING accuracy of Nostradamus.  Kudos to you and your amazing ability buddy. LOL

While you negativity doesn't at all bother me on a personal level because I believe you are entitled to your opinion, but personally, I could care less what your opinion is.  However I will address your reply because I do sense you are to some extent, jaded.  I could care less about your background, who you know, who you are, what you think about anything, or anything else about you because you are so negative.

So with that said, have a good day and good luck to you. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2007, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

The reason it just wouldn't happen, Coin Toss... 

It clearly states on the back of my ticket:

All tickets, transactions, and winners are are subject to Lottery Rules and State Law.  

It's a GAME.  It is voluntary.  Rules are simple - play by the rules or don't play at all.  Your choice.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 14, 2007, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

Should we assume you never heard of Roe v Wade?

Sure I have.  Rowe versus Wade?  Isn't that a debate 2 people have when their boat springs a leak?  What?

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2007, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

ABORT!!!      ABORT!!!!!      ABORT!!!!

JUMP SHIP....LOL

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1958 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2007, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

The back of the IN lottery ticket states:

This ticket is a bearer instrument. Sign ticket immediately. Valid only for the drawing date(s) shown. All prizes must be claimed within 180 days after drawing. Tickets and winners are subject to all Lottery rules, applicable MUSL rules and Indiana State Law. Claim prizes of $600 or less at participating on-line retailers. Except for jackpots, all prizes may be claimed at a Lottery office or by mail with a claim form supplied by any Lottery retailer. Jackpots must be claimed at Hoosier Lottery Headquarters.

The holder of this ticket agrees to participate in interviews with Lottery public relations personnel And the media and grants permission to use his/her name, photogragh, comments and image in Lottery sponsored advertising and promotions.

It a GAME in which the lottery makes the rules, NOT you.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                  Member #10720
                  January 23, 2005
                  933 Posts
                  Posted: March 14, 2007, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

I'm not afraid of being in the spotlight as a Lottery winner. I have had enough damage done as a poor person so to me it doesn't matter. When it's my money it's my choice who not to give it to, nobody can force me. The people that get in trouble put themselves in situations or they feel sorry too easily or they are not careful or they are so greedy that they want even more so they invest in risky things. The Lottery would be kind of boring if you never knew who won and the story of how they bought their ticket or picked their numbers and how it will change their life for better or worse. I accept the risks and I studied other people's errors so with that in mind I'll keep playing.

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10391 Posts
                    Posted: March 15, 2007, 12:32 am - IP Logged

This ticket is a bearer instrument. Sign ticket immediately. Valid only for the drawing date(s) shown. All prizes must be claimed within 180 days after drawing. Tickets and winners are subject to all Lottery rules, applicable MUSL rules and Indiana State Law. Claim prizes of $600 or less at participating on-line retailers. Except for jackpots, all prizes may be claimed at a Lottery office or by mail with a claim form supplied by any Lottery retailer. Jackpots must be claimed at Hoosier Lottery Headquarters.

The holder of this ticket agrees to participate in interviews with Lottery public relations personnel And the media and grants permission to use his/her name, photogragh, comments and image in Lottery sponsored advertising and promotions.

Guru101

Thanks for posting this. Speaks volumes.  

I seriously doubt any one individual, or froup of individuals, is going toget that statement off of those tickets.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #50273
                      March 3, 2007
                      348 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2007, 12:54 am - IP Logged

This is New Jersey's rule:

"Winner(s) of either the Jackpot Prize or a prize of $250,000 shall be required, at the discretion of the Lottery, to participate in a press conference. A press conference is an interview with television, radio and/or newspaper reporters, and photographers. The press conference will be scheduled by the Lottery."

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #22395
                        September 24, 2005
                        1583 Posts
                        Posted: March 15, 2007, 2:13 am - IP Logged

Quote... "It a GAME in which the lottery makes the rules, NOT you. "

There was a black woman that broke the law once by sitting in a bus and changed the way people are treated.  So who cares who makes the rules?

MegaWinner, just go ahead and do whatever you want.  Forget the laws/rules and d--- the torpedos!  Full speed ahead!

Personally, I don't think it is a big deal and I wouldn't invest my time or effort.

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: March 15, 2007, 2:39 am - IP Logged

I remember when NH granted anonymity to a $67 PB winner in 1999.  Reported in the Portsmouth Herald on 1/30/99:

The winner claimed the prize yesterday afternoon through a trust that allows him, or her, to remain anonymous, escaping the state's right-to-know law.

"The family are longtime residents of New Hampshire and highly value the friendly, informal atmosphere in which they live," lawyer Danforth Newcomb said in a statement. "For this reason, they have chosen to remain anonymous and are confident that all residents of New Hampshire who cherish their own privacy and lifestyles will understand and respect this wish to remain out of the public eye."

Well put, don't you think? 

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10391 Posts
                            Posted: March 15, 2007, 3:02 am - IP Logged

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Lep

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: March 15, 2007, 3:07 am - IP Logged

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Yup, that was on my license plate for many years!