Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 12:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I am going to try to change the rules about annonymity...

Topic closed. 68 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Stack47.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think I have a shot?

Yes, but with much hardwork and lots of time. [ 13 ]  [35.14%]
Fuggetaboutit! You have no shot! [ 19 ]  [51.35%]
Winners should go public to show there is no fix. [ 5 ]  [13.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3501 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

"Maybe get the lottery officials to see the benefits of jackpot and 2nd prize winners remaining anonymous. "

For the lottery officials there is absolutely zero benefit  to letting winners remain anonymous other than a few grateful winners.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7344 Posts
    Posted: March 18, 2007, 12:46 am - IP Logged

This thread is not a discussion about the desire to remain anonymous, but rather if a player has the right to do it when he buys a ticket.  If the rules are printed on the ticket and they clearly state you do not have that right, then the person should not buy a ticket. It is the same as wanting a lump sum when you win a game that only has a 20 or 30 year payout.  Don't buy a ticket if you don't agree with what will happen if you win.

Actually Justxploring, i'm not splitting hairs with you but its actually not about that.  We know what the rules are now and we still play.  Who in their right mind would turn down millions and millions of dollars because they couldn't remain anonymous?  I play knowing what the rules are.  When I win the PB or MM jackpot do you really think I am going to turn it down because I can't remain anonymous?  Heck no I'm not!  I am going to claim it and try to stay as low profile as I could.  What I proposed with this thread was to try to change that.  Maybe get the lottery officials to see the benefits of jackpot and 2nd prize winners remaining anonymous. 

"Maybe get the lottery officials to see the benefits of jackpot and 2nd prize winners remaining anonymous." 

Has it ever occurred to you state lottery commission have discussed this and came to the conclusion it's more beneficial too all the players that the identities of jackpot winners be known?

Most players don't care who wins the jackpots as long as they know that somebody actually won them. The lotteries are run by state governments so a list of winners is part of public record. Why shouldn't all the players have the right to know who won the jackpot?

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #50273
      March 3, 2007
      348 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2007, 1:07 am - IP Logged

"Maybe get the lottery officials to see the benefits of jackpot and 2nd prize winners remaining anonymous." 

Has it ever occurred to you state lottery commission have discussed this and came to the conclusion it's more beneficial too all the players that the identities of jackpot winners be known?

Most players don't care who wins the jackpots as long as they know that somebody actually won them. The lotteries are run by state governments so a list of winners is part of public record. Why shouldn't all the players have the right to know who won the jackpot?

"Why shouldn't all the players have the right to know who won the jackpot?" 

Yes, it has occured to me and I can understand your point.  But were just talking about an option.  I figure it would be public record signed by a judge that would verify there was an actual winner.  This would keep the naysayers at bay. 

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7344 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2007, 2:31 am - IP Logged

"Why shouldn't all the players have the right to know who won the jackpot?" 

Yes, it has occured to me and I can understand your point.  But were just talking about an option.  I figure it would be public record signed by a judge that would verify there was an actual winner.  This would keep the naysayers at bay. 

You need legal standing for a judge to seal public records and some state lotteries codes prevent that from happening.

The real issue is state lottery commissions don't want players wondering if there really was a winner and if the jackpot didn't go into their pockets.  By having press conferences and giving jackpot winners a huge check, they show the players that a real person won.

In another thread you said "Now I only play like $5-10 a week based on how high the jackpot is". If everybody played like you, there would never be a "high jackpot"

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3501 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2007, 5:23 am - IP Logged

You need legal standing for a judge to seal public records and some state lotteries codes prevent that from happening.

The real issue is state lottery commissions don't want players wondering if there really was a winner and if the jackpot didn't go into their pockets.  By having press conferences and giving jackpot winners a huge check, they show the players that a real person won.

In another thread you said "Now I only play like $5-10 a week based on how high the jackpot is". If everybody played like you, there would never be a "high jackpot"

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. It sounds like he's suggesting allowing anonymity but having a judge verify that there really is a real person who won. Of course if the lottery could fake a winner in the first place, how hard would it be to find a judge to join the rest of the people in the conspiracy?

As far as big jackpots,  it sounds like he might always play at least $5. If everybody played like that there would be far more money going into the prize pool and there would be more big jackpots, and they'd grow a lot faster than they do now.

California
            United States
            Member #46824
            October 1, 2006
            270 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2007, 10:56 am - IP Logged

The other reason why the state lottery commissions want the winner to come forward is the story they tell.  The answer to the inevitable question "What do you plan to do with your winnings?" is great for the lottery to promote to others who have a dream and play.

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #24912
              October 29, 2005
              94 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2007, 11:55 am - IP Logged

One could play in a state that allows you to remain anonymous (KS, MD, ND, DE, SC, LA, NH, OH, OK, PA) if that is possible.
              Mega Millions and Power Ball
              I do untill the other states will do the same (if they will ever do the same)
              Good luck with your endeavor MegaWinner I hope you succeed.

US Flag

Money can't buy you happiness... but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery Wink

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7344 Posts
                Posted: March 18, 2007, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. It sounds like he's suggesting allowing anonymity but having a judge verify that there really is a real person who won. Of course if the lottery could fake a winner in the first place, how hard would it be to find a judge to join the rest of the people in the conspiracy?

As far as big jackpots,  it sounds like he might always play at least $5. If everybody played like that there would be far more money going into the prize pool and there would be more big jackpots, and they'd grow a lot faster than they do now.

Mega Millions is a multi-state lottery so the huge jackpot winners get National attention but individual states have to determine how the anonymity issue affects their games. They advertise the jackpot amounts so more people will play and when players read or hear that the winner bought 3 QPs using their change after a purchase at a mini-mart, it gives them reason to continue playing. A story about a Grandma winning by playing the birthdates of her 6 grandkids is even better.

I don't know that an anonymity option would bring out the conspiracy people, but after a few times of hearing the lottery commissions announce "anonymous winners", it certainly would not help player confidence in their games.

Why would anybody believe they could win the Mega Million jackpot playing $5 every draw? Maybe they believe it because they read about a Georgia truck driver doing exactly the same thing.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: March 18, 2007, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

The other reason why the state lottery commissions want the winner to come forward is the story they tell.  The answer to the inevitable question "What do you plan to do with your winnings?" is great for the lottery to promote to others who have a dream and play.

I agree!