Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I am going to try to change the rules about annonymity...

Topic closed. 68 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think I have a shot?

Yes, but with much hardwork and lots of time. [ 13 ]  [35.14%]
Fuggetaboutit! You have no shot! [ 19 ]  [51.35%]
Winners should go public to show there is no fix. [ 5 ]  [13.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
Member #47420
November 4, 2006
3930 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2007, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

We all play to win and I hope to someday..You have 6 months to get things straight and if you win a ton you can pick up your check on your way out of town like I will..Good luck MegaWinner and to everyone else..I welcome the problem of having to much money...Oh yeah......

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19895 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2007, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

When I win my jackpot, I will seek out other jackpot winners and try to get a law passed that would allow jackpot and 2nd prize winners to claim their winnings through an attorney or proxy in ALL states.  I know the game's rules are the ultimate say but there has to be some sort of change to this rule.  I know the games want a name and face attached to the winner to preserve the integrity of the game, so I say attach the proxy or attorney's name and face to the winnings for the public to see.

Just require that the actual winner give the attorney or proxy a statement to be read at the press conference.  This would save the winners MUCH headache of unwanted media attention, possible danger, ungrateful relatives and friends, scammers, and the gazillions of people asking for handouts.

I know I posted a thread similiar to this, I felt this warranted it's own thread.

Whaddya think?  Do I have a shot? 

Good luck on finding previous jackpot winners who don't want to be found.  Why would anyone who won a lottery jackpot and managed to fade out of sight want to come forward and bring attention to themselves by trying to pass a law that would allow them to remain anonymous?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10390 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2007, 12:12 am - IP Logged

Good luck on finding previous jackpot winners who don't want to be found.  Why would anyone who won a lottery jackpot and managed to fade out of sight want to come forward and bring attention to themselves by trying to pass a law that would allow them to remain anonymous?

Good point, RJOh.

MegaWinner, in the OP of this thread, you said,

"When I win my jackpot, I will seek out other jackpot winners and try to get a law passed that would allow jackpot and 2nd prize winners to claim their winnings through an attorney or proxy in ALL states."

If you're that passionate about it, why wait til you win your jackpot? ('just in case' it doesn't happen).

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3502 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2007, 2:22 am - IP Logged

Someone once brought this up before and my answer was that it's possible to fight this in court. However, this was the scene I pictured (I'm editing for the sake of brevity)

You get a team of lawyers to challenge the constitutionality of the lottery rules.

You fight the lottery all the way to Supreme Court for your right to remain anonymous.

You win your batte.

You are invited to appear on the Today Show.

You are invited to appear on Larry King Live.

Your picture appears on the cover of several Law Review publications.

You are now the most famous person who won a case against a state lottery for the right to remain anonymous.  Smiley

Good Luck.  Just keep in mind that, no matter how rich you become, the world doesn't revolve around you, and never will.

Should we assume you never heard of Roe v Wade?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2007, 2:44 am - IP Logged

Should we assume you never heard of Roe v Wade?

My first reaction was...huh?  KY Floyd, you can assume anything you want.  You usually do anyway. 

(1) You have no sense of humor. 

(2) Roe vs Wade had nothing to do with the lottery.

(3) The name of the woman who was identified only as "Jane Roe" is well known.  (at least to me)

No excuse, but I need to get up in 4 hours...to be continued.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #50273
            March 3, 2007
            348 Posts
            Posted: March 14, 2007, 8:55 am - IP Logged

I thought about this too.  I figure I would try to get in contact with them through a lawyer.  Also, I failed to mention that we would try to fight this fight behind closed doors.  I don't know what the rules are regarding a group of people trying to get a law passed (not changed, as there is no such law on the books as of now regarding lotteries in most states) and remaining annonymous while doing so, but I would hope that the battle could be fought by our lawyers and we could remain annonymous through them.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2007, 10:29 am - IP Logged

I remember either in Fla where I use to live or in Ky where I live now someone who hit a big jackpot sent thier lawyer to get the money..I have no idea how they did it but would like to..

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10390 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2007, 10:47 am - IP Logged

There's a post here on the board about someone in Oklahoma who won a few months ago (Powerball?) and remained anonymous.

A very generic press release was put out about how the winner declined to hold a press conference but encouraged everyone to play  because they too might win.

Rundown99 made the point about if you want to be anonymous, play in a state that allows it.

Now I'm wondering if you played in one of those states, if you'd have to disclose anything publicly in your home state if it's not an "anonymous" state. Would whatever lottery you hit insist on sending a PR piece to your home town newspaper, for instance?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19895 Posts
                  Posted: March 14, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

One way to stay anonymous is to join a lottery pool. Everyone that's interested in such things have heard of an office or a factory lottery pool winning a jackpot, but I doubt if anyone ever remembers who was in it.  Besides being in a lottery pool increases your odds of winning something and if a jackpot is won it dilutes the notoriety as well as the winnings for everyone.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19895 Posts
                    Posted: March 14, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

One way to stay anonymous is to join a lottery pool. Everyone that's interested in such things have heard of an office or a factory lottery pool winning a jackpot, but I doubt if anyone ever remembers who was in it.  Besides being in a lottery pool increases your odds of winning something and if a jackpot is won it dilutes the notoriety as well as the winnings for everyone.

Evil Looking       

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #50273
                      March 3, 2007
                      348 Posts
                      Posted: March 14, 2007, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

There's a post here on the board about someone in Oklahoma who won a few months ago (Powerball?) and remained anonymous.

A very generic press release was put out about how the winner declined to hold a press conference but encouraged everyone to play  because they too might win.

Rundown99 made the point about if you want to be anonymous, play in a state that allows it.

Now I'm wondering if you played in one of those states, if you'd have to disclose anything publicly in your home state if it's not an "anonymous" state. Would whatever lottery you hit insist on sending a PR piece to your home town newspaper, for instance?

I would love to do that but it is not feasible for me to do so right now.  I would have to drive almost 2 hours to play in Maryland just to have that option.  I mean, don't get me wrong, If I were already headed in that direction then it would be a no brainer, i'd play my tickets in Maryland.  But as it is right now, I just can't see spending $30 bucks on gas and about $24 bucks on tolls (both ways) just to play $5-10 bucks worth of MM tickets.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3502 Posts
                        Posted: March 14, 2007, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

My first reaction was...huh?  KY Floyd, you can assume anything you want.  You usually do anyway. 

(1) You have no sense of humor. 

(2) Roe vs Wade had nothing to do with the lottery.

(3) The name of the woman who was identified only as "Jane Roe" is well known.  (at least to me)

No excuse, but I need to get up in 4 hours...to be continued.

1. I've got a great sense of humor. I find megawinner's idea  of getting a bunch of past lottery winners together to wage a battle for anonymity almost hysterical.

2. Roe v Wade has nothing to do with the lottery but everything to do with being party to (arguably) the most famous case in the history of SCOTUS, while remaining mostly anonymous.

3. The real identity of "Roe" is well known now because she chose to give up her anonymity many years after the case was decided. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: March 14, 2007, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

1. I've got a great sense of humor. I find megawinner's idea  of getting a bunch of past lottery winners together to wage a battle for anonymity almost hysterical.

2. Roe v Wade has nothing to do with the lottery but everything to do with being party to (arguably) the most famous case in the history of SCOTUS, while remaining mostly anonymous.

3. The real identity of "Roe" is well known now because she chose to give up her anonymity many years after the case was decided. 

I just got home and I'm too beat from work to write a long comparison, but you've got

(a) a case about a woman's right to choose control of her own body (in Roe's case she claimed she was raped & later retracted) and reproductive organs...or if you are pro-life, the fight to protect the unborn, who cannot speak for themselves.

and

(b) a case where a person who plays a game and wins a lot of money wants to keep his name out of the paper.

Duh? Is there any similarity? There is also a time difference of 30+ years.  How many of us had personal computers in 1973?  Cable?  Cell phones?  The internet? (that's right - there was no worldwide web)  I could do something today in Florida and someone in Kazakhstan tonight would be able to read about it. 

I was a victim of a violent crime, so I understand the need to protect the identity of a witness.  I don't think there's quite enough interest in passing a bill to protect a guy who happens to get lucky one night when he stops for a six pack and shouts "give me one of them quick picks, Buddy."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: March 14, 2007, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

I read Oklahoma either has changed or is changing that.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: March 14, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

First, I play the lottery because I want to win.  Secondly I know most of the rules of the lottery games I play.  Third, I do not "whine"?  Fourth, I did not "assume they are going to get killed, abducted, or taken to the cleaners if they win". 

My whole reason for doing such a thing would be to avoid any forseeable problems that may arise no matter how big or small.  And just because I want to remain annonymous does not mean I think the world revolves around me, thats reaching.

Also, what you don't hear about is the "family" and 'friends" that will stop at no end to try and get a piece of your pie.  How many people would actaully report something like that or want that to be in the public's eye?  I doubt very few.  So please don't assume its the other way around all the time.  

I bet that most lottery jackpot winners would in hindsight have chosen to remain annonymous had the choice been offered.

Its a no brainer.  Some protection is better than none.

Geez, there are synical people on this board.

Yes, you are whining, complaining, whatever........

Friends and family WILL find out, I promise you that, it's too big of a deal to NOT notice that Uncle Joe just moved into one of eleven houses he bought OR is driving one of twenty exotic cars he now owns..... would you not agree ?  People - especially family - TALK. That's the nature of relatives: it's what they do.

I know two jackpot winners, one of which I talk to about five times a year, and he has never had a problem with friends, family, or anybody, and he is rather well-known around here.  The second one I have not talked to in a few years, but mutual friends have, and they have told me he has not been hounded at all by anyone; nobody had called or shown up on his doorstep looking for a handout... but he does get some requests by mail to fund/donate to organizations.  Same as we do with all the credit card apps we ALL get several times a week - and we simply shred them.

I really think you are watching waaay too much TV - you are only seeing the stories of a small percentage of winners that can't say no, so they do what american society does best today - blame someone else for their own problems. 

There is NO 'curse of the lottery', there is only 'the curse of people that are clueless on how to handle life in general'. 

Now, if you want to discuss 'cynical', let's discuss why you are so incredibly concerned about something that most normal people should know how to handle.... that is, making good use of the word 'no', and learning how to hang up a telephone on someone, I do it to telemarketers all the time...    and I have done it to family, and I have done it to 'fair weather friends'.