Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I am going to try to change the rules about annonymity...

Topic closed. 68 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Stack47.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think I have a shot?

Yes, but with much hardwork and lots of time. [ 13 ]  [35.14%]
Fuggetaboutit! You have no shot! [ 19 ]  [51.35%]
Winners should go public to show there is no fix. [ 5 ]  [13.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2007, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

What does that have to do with the lottery or remaining anonymous ?

'Live free' = your choice if you want to play the lottery or not ? 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2007, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

What ever happened to PAY UP OR I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT!?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1958 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2007, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

Quote... "It a GAME in which the lottery makes the rules, NOT you. "

There was a black woman that broke the law once by sitting in a bus and changed the way people are treated.  So who cares who makes the rules?

MegaWinner, just go ahead and do whatever you want.  Forget the laws/rules and d--- the torpedos!  Full speed ahead!

Personally, I don't think it is a big deal and I wouldn't invest my time or effort.

Those are 2 completely different things. If you don't like the rules of the game, then don't play.

Gonna win.Big Smile

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4580 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2007, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

pacattack, Thanks for that one liner humour! We call them "Flybys"at my office when folks just dont quite get the humour that is so eloquently executed by a one liner!

rules are not necessarily a LAW upheld by a court system. A no shirt rule in a stripper club is actually welcomed , yet not welcomed at the Four Seasons...Go fig'r dat one 

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2007, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

What does that have to do with the lottery or remaining anonymous ?

'Live free' = your choice if you want to play the lottery or not ? 

Guesser, that is the NH state motto.  I assume Coin Toss has either been to NH or he has seen a NH license plate.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10392 Posts
            Posted: March 16, 2007, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

It's the plate and also the state motto of New Hampshire, and I just happen to think it's the best state motto of all. So when Justxploring mentioned New Hampshire I replied with the motto.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2007, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

It's the plate and also the state motto of New Hampshire, and I just happen to think it's the best state motto of all. So when Justxploring mentioned New Hampshire I replied with the motto.

Oh, admit it!  You drove all way from Illinois to New Hampshire just to play PB, so you would be able to claim your money anonymously!  LOLLOL

(I don't know if NH is one of the states people on this board list as being one where a player can claim a jackpot anonymously, but as my previous post indicates, NH has honored that request several times in the past.)

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3501 Posts
                Posted: March 16, 2007, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

New Hampshire's current rules make a winner's name and town of residence public information.

The motto sounds good, but unfortunately it's only a slogan and not a state (or federal) policy, whether we're talking about the lottery or life in general. Maybe that's why the old man of the mountain comitted suicide a few years ago. He just got tired of watching our freedoms being taken away a little bit at a time.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Well, it's certainly a whole lot better than some of those state mottos, such as South Dakota calling itself "The Sunshine State" (one of several). or Delwares' "We're not just a corporation".

(Don't get in an uproar, anyone from DE, J/K) 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #22395
                    September 24, 2005
                    1583 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2007, 7:25 pm - IP Logged
                    Standard Member
                    Regular

United States
                    Member #49185
                    January 7, 2007
                    121 Posts

There was a black woman that broke the law once by sitting in a bus and changed the way people are treated.  So who cares who makes the rules?

MegaWinner, just go ahead and do whatever you want.  Forget the laws/rules and d--- the torpedos!  Full speed ahead!

Personally, I don't think it is a big deal and I wouldn't invest my time or effort.

Those are 2 completely different things. If you don't like the rules of the game, then don't play.

Sure it is the same.  The analogy is that people can try what they want to achieve change. 

What possible reason could you have to stop MegaWinner from achieving his goal?  It won't have any impact on you - it would be an option not mandatory.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1958 Posts
                      Posted: March 16, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged
                      Standard Member
                      Regular

United States
                      Member #49185
                      January 7, 2007
                      121 Posts

Sure it is the same.  The analogy is that people can try what they want to achieve change. 

What possible reason could you have to stop MegaWinner from achieving his goal?  It won't have any impact on you - it would be an option not mandatory.

No. It's not the same. This task is more like a bunch of kids playing kickball and one of the kids get hit by the ball, but since the kid wants to stay in, he just stands there and cries and "I wanna stay in, I wanna stay in". Would you expect all the other kids to just say "Ok, stay in."? I certainly wouldn't. If you don't like the rules, then why don't you just quit playing?

Gonna win.Big Smile

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #24912
                        October 29, 2005
                        94 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2007, 11:57 am - IP Logged

It is Ironic that some in the forum will make rude comments about remaining anonymous

or ridicule others when they them selfs do all they can to remain anonymous in their

Lottery Post Profile and use an Nickname instead of their real name.

If that person is not too scared to have his or her real name in their Profile

They would put their money where their mouth is.

Wink

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: March 17, 2007, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

Amsoly41,

I agree to a point, but it is not the same thing. Most members probably would prefer to remain anonymous, but will accept the rules of their state lottery should they win a jackpot. That wasn't really the subject matter here.

To join LP, Todd does not require that we reveal our personal information. So I don't think it is hypocritical at all to want to keep it that way. I would like to know a person's gender and state, and I like first names too, but that information is not required.   

This thread is not a discussion about the desire to remain anonymous, but rather if a player has the right to do it when he buys a ticket.  If the rules are printed on the ticket and they clearly state you do not have that right, then the person should not buy a ticket. It is the same as wanting a lump sum when you win a game that only has a 20 or 30 year payout.  Don't buy a ticket if you don't agree with what will happen if you win.

If Todd had as a requirement: "You must furnish your full name, address and email, which will be displayed to all other members" many people here would never have joined in the first place. However, sometime a member gets upset when he breaks the rules and Todd says "you can't do that."  So what is the solution?  It is either to follow the rules of the site or not post! Very simple. Sure, you can always make suggestions, but it is not hypocritical for members to follow the rules of the site.

Rules are rules.  If MegaWinner wants to challenge them, he certainly can try. Maybe if someone comes up with a good reason, a state might reconsider its policy.  However, I believe this needs to be done before someone wins. Otherwise the state is saying "We never did it for anyone else before, but you're an exception." 

The only reason I didn't like the comparisons of Rowe v Wade or Rosa Parks, is that there is no resemblance whatsoever to challenging the rules of the lottery.  Why? Because they are equal for every player in that particular state.  Rosa Parks paid for her right to sit on that bus, the same as a White man.  If the lottery said "you can remain anonymous because you are White but the Black man must hold a press conference" or "the White man can take the cash, but the Black man must take annual payments," that would be discrimination.  But comparing a struggle for dignity against a world of hateful bigotry and winning the lottery really rubs me the wrong way. 

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10392 Posts
                            Posted: March 17, 2007, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

It is Ironic that some in the forum will make rude comments about remaining anonymous

or ridicule others when they them selfs do all they can to remain anonymous in their

Lottery Post Profile and use an Nickname instead of their real name.

If that person is not too scared to have his or her real name in their Profile

They would put their money where their mouth is.

Wink

amsoly41

The internet being the internet using your real name is not always a good idea. "Scared" has nothing to do with it.

I know females who have been stalked (cyber & real life) just by having posted on Christian discussion boards, let alone other types.

By the way, considering your post, is amsoly41 what is on your birth certificate? Is that your ral name?

I don't see a whole lot of 'ridicule' here about remaining anonymous, just difference of opinions.  

Reading this board, and others, and watching documentaries about lottery winners, I have heard people say that they6 wished they had remained anonymous. I can't think of one case where someone who did remain anonymous say they wished they had not remaoned anonymous. Just something to think about. 

Lep

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #50273
                              March 3, 2007
                              348 Posts
                              Posted: March 17, 2007, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Amsoly41,

I agree to a point, but it is not the same thing. Most members probably would prefer to remain anonymous, but will accept the rules of their state lottery should they win a jackpot. That wasn't really the subject matter here.

To join LP, Todd does not require that we reveal our personal information. So I don't think it is hypocritical at all to want to keep it that way. I would like to know a person's gender and state, and I like first names too, but that information is not required.   

This thread is not a discussion about the desire to remain anonymous, but rather if a player has the right to do it when he buys a ticket.  If the rules are printed on the ticket and they clearly state you do not have that right, then the person should not buy a ticket. It is the same as wanting a lump sum when you win a game that only has a 20 or 30 year payout.  Don't buy a ticket if you don't agree with what will happen if you win.

If Todd had as a requirement: "You must furnish your full name, address and email, which will be displayed to all other members" many people here would never have joined in the first place. However, sometime a member gets upset when he breaks the rules and Todd says "you can't do that."  So what is the solution?  It is either to follow the rules of the site or not post! Very simple. Sure, you can always make suggestions, but it is not hypocritical for members to follow the rules of the site.

Rules are rules.  If MegaWinner wants to challenge them, he certainly can try. Maybe if someone comes up with a good reason, a state might reconsider its policy.  However, I believe this needs to be done before someone wins. Otherwise the state is saying "We never did it for anyone else before, but you're an exception." 

The only reason I didn't like the comparisons of Rowe v Wade or Rosa Parks, is that there is no resemblance whatsoever to challenging the rules of the lottery.  Why? Because they are equal for every player in that particular state.  Rosa Parks paid for her right to sit on that bus, the same as a White man.  If the lottery said "you can remain anonymous because you are White but the Black man must hold a press conference" or "the White man can take the cash, but the Black man must take annual payments," that would be discrimination.  But comparing a struggle for dignity against a world of hateful bigotry and winning the lottery really rubs me the wrong way. 

Actually Justxploring, i'm not splitting hairs with you but its actually not about that.  We know what the rules are now and we still play.  Who in their right mind would turn down millions and millions of dollars because they couldn't remain anonymous?  I play knowing what the rules are.  When I win the PB or MM jackpot do you really think I am going to turn it down because I can't remain anonymous?  Heck no I'm not!  I am going to claim it and try to stay as low profile as I could.  What I proposed with this thread was to try to change that.  Maybe get the lottery officials to see the benefits of jackpot and 2nd prize winners remaining anonymous.