Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Secret

Topic closed. 99 replies. Last post 9 years ago by chezel30.

Page 4 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: June 9, 2007, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Attraction is a matter of personal perception. You attract what you believe you will ultimately attract. Not necessarily "opposites." If someone said something profane to you and punched you in the face, I doubt you would compliment them and hug them afterwards. Like would attract like, and there would probably be a fight.

Also the secret relies more on mystical aspects, which will not work for those firmly grounded in logic and science, because they are far too close-minded.

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
    Florida
    United States
    Member #6147
    August 8, 2004
    1396 Posts
    Posted: June 9, 2007, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

It's simply positive thinking and doing onto others as you would have them do onto you.  I believe that these are the things that influence our destinies.  Do we really need Oprah to endorse a book telling us this is what we should be striving for?

Good Luck!

Stavros

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: June 9, 2007, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

It's simply positive thinking and doing onto others as you would have them do onto you.  I believe that these are the things that influence our destinies.  Do we really need Oprah to endorse a book telling us this is what we should be striving for?

No, we don't need Oprah to tell us what to read (although it seems many, many people do!) but can we really influence our destinies?

I know many people who have read every book like The Secret out there (and there are many) and still struggle.  

I don't think any book or 'positive thinking' or 'right thinking' can overcome or even approach the luck factor.  

And not just lotto- ever heard of puzzle master Will Shortz? He creates a lot of corsswords and word games. On a radio interview he said a newspaper (maybe it was the NY Times in fact) was looking for someone like that and he just happened to be majoring in "gameology" at the University of Cincinnati at the time.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: June 9, 2007, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Opposites attract 101.

The earth has two poles, the northern and southern. There's also a magnetic field surrounding it.

A battery has a positive and negative side, or else it wouldn't function properly.

In order to appreciate sweetness, one must first taste something sour.

In order to feel happy, one must know how it must feel to be without it.

For every good action, there must be a bad reaction, unfortunately. Seems the fabric of the universe would come apart if any deviation from the rules stated above are compromised.

Unfortunately, there has to be a balance to everything, if the entity wants to benefit most of what life has to offer, and that includes the downsides of life.

Why do I dwell so much on this negative part you ask? I just want to find the truth. If the truth lies within a certain thinking process.....let it be....

The balance talked about earlier relies on both good and bad parts for it's own sake. Nothing in life as we know it, or atleast, I know it, can exist without it's evil twin.

Actually, there's an original Star Trek episode dealing with the good and bad side of Captain Kirk. Through some mishap during beaming up procedures...LOL...An evil twin ....Captain kirk materialized on the ship.

A good episode, and example of how the balance of life is co-existing, and needs to stay that way.

Why do you think unions were started?....LOL

The lone voice is unheard!

delores247's avatar - Lottery-048.jpg

United States
          Member #19043
          July 24, 2005
          7378 Posts
          Posted: June 9, 2007, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

The Secret is spoken perfection and percise beliefs ,a great pacifier for the Human Soul,By This i mean i still like M&M's with peanuts and you or others may perfer the ones without or no candy at all,,,,Delores247

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: June 9, 2007, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

The Secret is spoken perfection and percise beliefs ,a great pacifier for the Human Soul,By This i mean i still like M&M's with peanuts and you or others may perfer the ones without or no candy at all,,,,Delores247

The ones with the peanuts is the bomb...LOL Are you kidding?...LOL

Sometimes you feel like a nut....sometimes you don't...LOL

Just like Almond Joy....HMMMMM

Reesus peanutbutter cups....HMMMM

Onion soup mix dip, with scoopables chips...LOL

I just made a homey version of chicken stew, with celery, carrots, potatoes, zuchinni, chicken tenders, chic peas, curry powder, coriander, garlic, black pepper, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, and a touch of cumin.....HMMMM

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Opposites can attract, like can attract like. There are no limits. But, are you attracting "what you want" to you in your life? This is where books such as the secret try to shed some light on how to do just that. I read many great books before ever getting the secret, I just sort of got to affirm the similarities.

Many people have had great success using books such as "Think and Grow Rich," famous people included. I also enjoyed "Ask and it is Given" a lot. The problem with a lot of "skeptics" however is that they are too deeply rooted in the "logic and scientific theories" of man, therefore no supernatural or divine intervention is possible. Mostly because they don't believe it is.

Also placing attention on something will bring more of the same, such always saying you don't have enough money. You always will not have enough money then because that is where your focus lies, "not having enough money." If exact opposites are such powerful attractors, I should then be able to boycott the lottery, never buy another ticket, and still hit it big somehow.

United States
                Member #19043
                July 24, 2005
                7378 Posts
                Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Pac i think you misunderstood what i was trying to explain about the book i use it as a daily pacifer ,i was making an example how i see the book as a whole but for me i mainly listen to the part that helps you to accept yourself and the criticisms of others because to live in this difficult society today you can't have a sensitive personality,i get upset over the smallest things and can't seem to cope but since i have been listening to this book i am not in tears all the time,i am not interested in the get rich thing,i was only interested in dealing with the cruel and difficult persons lurking about and this gave me a way to change the channels in my life,i would never force any book on anyone,everyone is entitled to their opinion on this issue and i respect everyone's insight,We all live in a society based on making a profit and we as a comsumer make decisions about what we want each day,eventhough the book was given to me as a gift,i still make purchases of other things based on choice,not to upset anyone just because we have the right to choose whatever it,,,,,dishwashing liquid,soap,different brands different prices,Choice,whatever The individual wants,This would go for movies,etc different choices here too,I hope you see where i am coming from,,,,

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

I wish the peeps can taste this. I wish there was taste-a-vision...LOL

It took about 3 hours for this stew to get to a nice thick consistency. I could start a business, called the soup pacattack, just like the soup nazi...LOL

United States
                    Member #19043
                    July 24, 2005
                    7378 Posts
                    Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

I wish the peeps can taste this. I wish there was taste-a-vision...LOL

It took about 3 hours for this stew to get to a nice thick consistency. I could start a business, called the soup pacattack, just like the soup nazi...LOL

Thank's Great Pac,i see you LOve your Soup,keep it Brewing you never know what it taste like when it's finished,,,,,,The Nazi What?part i don't understand but to each his own as the saying goes,,,,

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

Thank's Great Pac,i see you LOve your Soup,keep it Brewing you never know what it taste like when it's finished,,,,,,The Nazi What?part i don't understand but to each his own as the saying goes,,,,

the "soup nazi" was a character on seinfeld.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

There was a show on TV called "Seinfeld". They frequented a soup take-out joint , and Jerry Seinfeld called the worker at the soup place the " Soup Nazi", because the worker/owner had no patience with new customers who weren't familiar with the menu, yelling at them when they couldn't make a decision on what to order....LOL

United States
                          Member #19043
                          July 24, 2005
                          7378 Posts
                          Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Thank you pac,you are a very sweet person to take the time and explain that to me,take care and goodluck to you,,,,Delores

Westerose
                            Canada
                            Member #52915
                            June 15, 2007
                            189 Posts
                            Posted: June 15, 2007, 2:58 am - IP Logged

I wonder if that's an "excuse" not just an explanation to justify why it doesn't work.  Although it certainly makes a lot of sense.  Once I developed a relationship with a very kind, gentle spiritual teacher (long story) I contacted for healing.  I had read an article in a newspaper about a serious accident he had and how he refused to have surgery or take medication, and he healed himself with prayer.  I sought him out and eventually was able to talk to him and we spoke for about an hour on the telephone every month.  I never actually met him. 

So one day I asked "if you can heal broken bones and cancer, why do you wear eyeglasses? (from the photo in the paper)  He really didn't have an answer for me and said he wasn't perfect and was working on raising his level of thought.  I definitely believe that the mind and body are connected and that depression can create all sorts of physical ailments.  However, even happy people get sick and die, so I'm not sure everything that goes wrong in life can be turned around by one's thoughts. 

All the current buzz about The Secret reminds me of when Course of Miracles was "popular" and we had study groups in Boston when I attended Unity Church. I also used to go every week to a discussion in NH.  I remember a woman who was very excited one evening because she felt she had received a message to take off and explore the world, pursue her dreams. She was ready to pack up and leave her family. We weren't supposed to criticize or pass judgment, but I had to say something (since nobody else would) and told her that abandoning 2 small children was totally irresponsible and I felt she should look for another way to "find herself."  My point is that many people use these books of wisdom to fit their own agenda.

Actually it's one of those things where people in the field of metaphysics split on. Some think it's perfectly okay to use mind powers or the comos to win and have a good life. Others live by the mindset that you can only ask for or want certian things. I feel those latter people want to keep people in the bondage of toil and sarrow.

Yes it's all about people's own agendas.

Most churches are dead set against "gamblin'" however if one of their members hits it big they are there saying it was God's will with their grubby little hands out.

I believe the reality is flexable. and if I just get the right mix in my head I can shape it how I see fit as can anyone.....

I believe that in one reality I will be the winner of a huge Lottery Jackpot and in another Reality you will be the winner of a Huge Jackpot.... if we can just frame our realities as such....  We will have both won say the same huge Jackpot living in these seperate realites.... 

It's a matter of using our minds and imagination to do this. As Einstien said "Imagination is Everything"

So when people put out a book like "The Secret" then put limitations on what can be accomplished by this "Secret" they are doing people a dis-service by limiting the power of the mind which is limitless which is the True Secret. 

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                              Member #9517
                              December 10, 2004
                              1272 Posts
                              Posted: June 15, 2007, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

The logic used in metaphysics that positive attracts positive is not wrong (or ilogical).

You wouldn't say thinking positive attracts a negative results would you? Usually it would attract (or create) a positive result.