Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A dollar and a dream true for PB and MM?

Topic closed. 109 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Perfect Timing.

Page 3 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: September 1, 2007, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

You're saying you have 1 chance to win out of every 29,221.592.4 possible outcomes, but I'm assuming each chance is a different combination and only 1 of those 5 chances can win so why not just compare that 1 chance to win to the 146,107,957 combinations you don't have.

If you want fractions, divide your 5 chances by 146,107,962 and you'll get the exact percentage.

There isn't 29,221,592.4 possible outcomes! There are 146,107,962 possible outcomes!

Gonna win.Big Smile

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: September 1, 2007, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

I did not say 5 sets of 29,221,592.4 possibilities. You have 5/146,107,962 OR 1/29,221,592.4 chance of winning the jackpot. You still have 5 sets of 146,107,962 possibilities. I'm just converting it so that the numerator is 1.

I think you are starting to understand.  You are correct in the mechanics of reducing the fraction.

But like you say you are converting it. The draw is all inclusive, it is a singular event, by having 5 tickets doesn't reduce the size of the possibilities by five, because you would have to be able to apply the 5 tickets simultaneously to five reduced sets of possible outcomes, that is not what happens.  You are trying to MATCH one of the 146,107,962 to one of your 5.  Look at it like this, it is as if you were trying to match each one of your 5 combos to five separate draws instantaneously when you convert and say 1/29,221,592.4 .

Except it happens more like this expressed with fractions when a game is played, this is what happens:

your first set is 1 / 146,107,962

your second is 1 / 146,107,962 -1

your third is 1 / 146,107,962 -2

your fourth is 1 / 146,107,962 -3

your fifth is 1 / 146,107,962 -4

This happens instantaneously!

You see each of the five outcomes you chose are almost equal, in the possibility of matching one of the 146,107,962 possible outcomes, you have only reduced the outcome by five of the 146,107,962 outcomes. When you play five lines: In fractions it looks like this 1/146,107,958 not 1/29,221,592 it is a very different number.

Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: September 1, 2007, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

There isn't 29,221,592.4 possible outcomes! There are 146,107,962 possible outcomes!

There you go!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10350 Posts
        Posted: September 1, 2007, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Only one combination can win.

A ticket may have five lines of numbers representing five combinations on it, but only one of them can be the winner.

Every line of numbers ( in the game discussed) has odds of 146,107,962:1.

No matter how many lines (sets) of numbers are played, each set is up against the same odds.

$100 worth of tickets reduces the combinations not covered by 100, $1,000 worth of different sets of numbers reduces the combinations left by 1,000.

There was no "magic bullet" in the JFK assasination and there's no "magic dollar" in lotto. 

No matter what the  Pick 6 or 5 + 1 game or the matrix, each dollar = one combination covered, of millions.

Anyone who tells you anything else will also tell you what a great time they had at the 1994 World Series. Caution.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: September 1, 2007, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

I think you are starting to understand.  You are correct in the mechanics of reducing the fraction.

But like you say you are converting it. The draw is all inclusive, it is a singular event, by having 5 tickets doesn't reduce the size of the possibilities by five, because you would have to be able to apply the 5 tickets simultaneously to five reduced sets of possible outcomes, that is not what happens.  You are trying to MATCH one of the 146,107,962 to one of your 5.  Look at it like this, it is as if you were trying to match each one of your 5 combos to five separate draws instantaneously when you convert and say 1/29,221,592.4 .

Except it happens more like this expressed with fractions when a game is played, this is what happens:

your first set is 1 / 146,107,962

your second is 1 / 146,107,962 -1

your third is 1 / 146,107,962 -2

your fourth is 1 / 146,107,962 -3

your fifth is 1 / 146,107,962 -4

This happens instantaneously!

You see each of the five outcomes you chose are almost equal, in the possibility of matching one of the 146,107,962 possible outcomes, you have only reduced the outcome by five of the 146,107,962 outcomes. When you play five lines: In fractions it looks like this 1/146,107,958 not 1/29,221,592 it is a very different number.

If someone has bought 5 tickets for a single drawing, they have a 1 in 29,221,592.4 chance of winning the jackpot. I know I'm right. I'm not interested in looking at it any differently than that.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5583 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2007, 12:08 am - IP Logged

Only one combination can win.

A ticket may have five lines of numbers representing five combinations on it, but only one of them can be the winner.

Every line of numbers ( in the game discussed) has odds of 146,107,962:1.

No matter how many lines (sets) of numbers are played, each set is up against the same odds.

$100 worth of tickets reduces the combinations not covered by 100, $1,000 worth of different sets of numbers reduces the combinations left by 1,000.

There was no "magic bullet" in the JFK assasination and there's no "magic dollar" in lotto. 

No matter what the  Pick 6 or 5 + 1 game or the matrix, each dollar = one combination covered, of millions.

Anyone who tells you anything else will also tell you what a great time they had at the 1994 World Series. Caution.

CT, that is correct. That is stating the obvious. Only one combination can win the jackpot.

But the discussion is not about the obvious.

It is about a fallacy that is put forth about chances. Playing more than 1 ticket increases your odds two-fold for each additional ticket played. This is untrue,  unless the number of tickets played starts approaching the number of possible combos your chances remain the same. You and I agree on this.

Telling someone that they have somehow changed their odds from 1 in 146M to 1 in 29M by buying 5 tickets is outright misleading, that is all. 

Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2007, 12:15 am - IP Logged

CT, that is correct. That is stating the obvious. Only one combination can win the jackpot.

But the discussion is not about the obvious.

It is about a fallacy that is put forth about chances. Playing more than 1 ticket increases your odds two-fold for each additional ticket played. This is untrue,  unless the number of tickets played starts approaching the number of possible combos your chances remain the same. You and I agree on this.

Telling someone that they have somehow changed their odds from 1 in 146M to 1 in 29M by buying 5 tickets is outright misleading, that is all. 

It's not misleading! It's math! Learn how to convert fractions!

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10350 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2007, 12:59 am - IP Logged

It's not misleading! It's math! Learn how to convert fractions!

Oy vey, here we go.

We're not talking 'fractions', we're talking one winning set of numbers out of 146,107,962.

Only one wins.

No matter how many you play, each ticket, each set of your numbers can only do this:

1 / 146, 107, 962nd of all combinations.

That's the only fraction involved here, and each and every one of your dollars, no matter how many of them you are willing to spend, each and every one, one by one, can only be involved with that fraction. There's no power of 10 here, no binary , no halving or anything else.

When you think otherwise, the only thing being reduced to fractions is your bankroll.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49699 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2007, 2:27 am - IP Logged

If I buy a 2nd ticket my chance of Winnng is:
                  1 in 146,107,961 (146,107,960 remaining)

If I buy a 3rd ticket my chance of Winnng is:
                  1 in 146,107,960 (146,107,959 remaining)

If I buy a 4th ticket my chance of Winnng is:
                  1 in 146,107,959 (146,107,958 remaining)

If I buy a 5th ticket my chance of Winnng is:
                  1 in 146,107,958 (146,107,957 remaining)

Those are incorrect because you also have to take into consideration the previous ones that you have purchased. If you have 5 tickets, your odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 29,221,592.4. 

Put what ever spin you want on it: The fact still remains the odds of the game didn't change by purchasing more tickets.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/86508/203595

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/86508/204214

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2007, 2:48 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss, didn't you see the X-Files episode that explained the whole JFK assassination?  Eek

Seriously, I think this discussion could go on forever.  I was going to quote Jarasan's post on the first page since I think he explains it very well as do you.  It really doesn't matter what people say the numbers are and if 1 in 29M is the same as 5 in 146M, etc.  Buying 5 tickets does little to increase the odds.  Tonight (Saturday) I was at Publix and bought my 4 tickets.  I decided to buy a QP too. The man behind me bought 10 Fantasy 5 tickets and 10 Lotto tickets, all QPs.  When I was walking away from the counter I could hear him buying some scratch tickets too.  So I would agree with anyone that this man has a much better chance at winning the lottery than I do.  It goes back to that old saying that money makes money.  The good news is that it's very true that purchasing just one ticket can and has won somebody a large jackpot, because it's all luck. 

How's that for diplomacy?  Smiley

United States
                      Member #54390
                      August 17, 2007
                      313 Posts
                      Posted: September 2, 2007, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd for being the only person in this thread to answer my question.

Why argue about chances of winning.  Don't we all know that it's a very slim chance?  

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1953 Posts
                        Posted: September 2, 2007, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Oy vey, here we go.

We're not talking 'fractions', we're talking one winning set of numbers out of 146,107,962.

Only one wins.

No matter how many you play, each ticket, each set of your numbers can only do this:

1 / 146, 107, 962nd of all combinations.

That's the only fraction involved here, and each and every one of your dollars, no matter how many of them you are willing to spend, each and every one, one by one, can only be involved with that fraction. There's no power of 10 here, no binary , no halving or anything else.

When you think otherwise, the only thing being reduced to fractions is your bankroll.

It IS fractions! If you have 1 ticket, your chances of winning are 1 in 146,107,962. If you have 5 tickets, your chances of winning are 1 in 29,221,592.4, which is the same as 5 in 146,107,962! You have to count every ticket you bought! You own ALL 5 tickets! Why the hell did you all start a debate about this? All I'm doing is converting a fraction. Why do you care if I'm converting it? You do it your way, and I'll do it my way. It's the same number and it's correct! All this over something so small. If you don't think it's correct, then I recommend doing some reading on fractions. You can start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraction_%28mathematics%29

You people need to understand that every little bit counts no matter how big of a number you're talking about. If you buy an extra ticket, it might be just another shot out of the millions and millions of possibilites there are, but it counts!

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10350 Posts
                          Posted: September 2, 2007, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

What debate? I spotted erroneous information- five tickets taking approx. 146 million to one odds to approx. 29 million to one odds - going by that, with a small bankroll you could actually put the odds in your favor!

Why, how do the lottereis stay in business offering those kind of games?

Fractionalize all you want, every set of numbers is up against the same max odds- regardless of how many sets of numbers played. The only variable is how much each person is willing to spend. 

Have a lucky day. 

Lep

Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1953 Posts
                            Posted: September 2, 2007, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

What debate? I spotted erroneous information- five tickets taking approx. 146 million to one odds to approx. 29 million to one odds - going by that, with a small bankroll you could actually put the odds in your favor!

Why, how do the lottereis stay in business offering those kind of games?

Fractionalize all you want, every set of numbers is up against the same max odds- regardless of how many sets of numbers played. The only variable is how much each person is willing to spend. 

Have a lucky day. 

So basically your saying I'm wrong when I say that if a person has bought 5 tickets, their odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 29,221,592.4? If that's what your saying then you need to go back to grade school.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10350 Posts
                              Posted: September 2, 2007, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

So basically your saying I'm wrong when I say that if a person has bought 5 tickets, their odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 29,221,592.4? If that's what your saying then you need to go back to grade school.

I do? What you are doing either knowingly or unknowingly trying to convince people that if 1 ticket is 146 million to one, and 5 tickets are 29 million to one, all you have to do is play 5 tickets 13 more times and the odds are 0!

They may work in "Once upon a time" stories where there is no real money involved, but the reality is whether you buy one ticket or 1,000 tickets each ticket is up against 146 million to one odds (Powerball game). It's as simple as that.

What obvously isn't simple is convincing people that's the way it has to be as long as the game is set up with one, and only one, set of winning numbers.

Besides THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the stage play?

Lep