Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you Believe Lotteries are Random?

Topic closed. 79 replies. Last post 8 years ago by pick4hawk.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

United Kingdom
Member #70630
February 7, 2009
734 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2009, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Of course I don't, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on it. No, I don't think there is some man pulling a magic lever to decide what magic balls are pushed through. But I do believe when dealing with numbers they form undeniable patterns.

What are your thoughts and why?

No and I don't, there is to much of the same thing happening in my opinion, and display some of the patterns in my blogs, if you have a look if you like patterns you will see plenty there,which displays my thoughts on the Lotto.

Sometimes we can't see the woods for tree's, " so we have to clear a path "

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3106 Posts
    Posted: March 23, 2009, 12:20 am - IP Logged

That might be true for the big games like MegaMillions and PowerBall but when Tennessee installed their computers to simulate random drawings for their pick3 and pick4 games, they went unchecked and unchanged for a couple of weeks even though some of their players complained about no doubles being picked.

I'm having trouble connecting the two trains of thought.  Are you saying Tennessee players had their shot at easier predicting and complained about it instead?  I doubt the winners taking advantage of no doubles were the ones complaining.  As random means anything can happen within perameters, the Tenn Lottery didn't react quickly to the lack of doubles because it was randomly possible even if unlikely.  BobP

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8366 Posts
      Posted: March 23, 2009, 12:41 am - IP Logged
      A pattern is something that can be picked up and used over and over again while there might be minuet patterns they are always changing where the lottery draws are concerned. So there more like occurrences because they don't always happen.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: March 23, 2009, 1:27 am - IP Logged

I'm having trouble connecting the two trains of thought.  Are you saying Tennessee players had their shot at easier predicting and complained about it instead?  I doubt the winners taking advantage of no doubles were the ones complaining.  As random means anything can happen within perameters, the Tenn Lottery didn't react quickly to the lack of doubles because it was randomly possible even if unlikely.  BobP

That was my point, if the lottery was doing pre-draw testings to make sure any combinations could come up, they should have noticed there were no doubles since normally doubles would be 25% of pick3 combinations picked randomly.  They checked to see if the computers worked and weren't concerned about the patterns of the numbers.  I'm sure some players were smart enough to try and take advantage while the situation existed but other players continued to play doubles even though they suspected they weren't going to come up.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #54390
          August 17, 2007
          313 Posts
          Posted: March 23, 2009, 2:22 am - IP Logged

I believe it's totally random. It's hard to win the lottery.

Just think about it, the Dodger's baseball stadium holds about 45,000 people. That's alot!!   Most lotteries have chances over 1 in 1,000,000!!!!

United Kingdom
            Member #70630
            February 7, 2009
            734 Posts
            Posted: March 23, 2009, 4:32 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone do it like this and then tell me there is not a pattern go through any Lotto and mark the lines that don't have the winning numbers in them and then display them and you will see the pattern appear in empty cells time and time again, try it and then tell me there is not different patterns, the different patterns are formed with the selection of lines that do not contain the answer and the answer is in the empty cells all the time, so no it is not random.

Good Luck to everyone in there search.

Sometimes we can't see the woods for tree's, " so we have to clear a path "

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
              Dallas, TX
              United States
              Member #60284
              April 12, 2008
              3856 Posts
              Posted: March 23, 2009, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Yes, if not we would all be jackpot winners.

United Kingdom
                Member #31295
                January 27, 2006
                73 Posts
                Posted: March 23, 2009, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

It's possible to predict with some degree of accuracy a future random event. Its possible to look at past events to know what will happen in the future. So I dont think any lottery can be totally random.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: March 23, 2009, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

I think ball drawings are random if there is no cheating going on. I also think there are many RNG's out there that aren't so random.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

marlon39's avatar - avatar 3245.jpg

Philippines
                    Member #71195
                    February 20, 2009
                    226 Posts
                    Posted: March 23, 2009, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely. I believe lotteries are random.

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."
                    - Vince Lombardi

DeeSpence's avatar - Lottery-040.jpg
                      Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #72522
                      March 20, 2009
                      15 Posts
                      Posted: March 24, 2009, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

yes they are random...its simply too many combinations by design...no need to do anything additional after that..payouts and rules are set so that the lottery has edge no matter what

I wanted to believe this too until I actually did start studying. Certain things occur that simply can't be random. Like for example, study any lottery you want to, and you will find that a number repeats from the very last drawing at least 65% of the time. 80% or better in Pick 3 and Pick 4 games. Or the fact that the numbers come up in a 3/2 or 2/3 combination of high and low numbers or odd and even numbers. Rarely do you every have all low numbers or all high numbers. Even more rare is all odd numbers are all even numbers in the lottery pool. These are just some of the patterns you will find. If random, how does this happen so consistently.

There are millionaires and billionaires, so why aren't there any hundredaires? Things that make you say hmm.

Atlanta, GA
                        United States
                        Member #72522
                        March 20, 2009
                        15 Posts
                        Posted: March 24, 2009, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely. I believe lotteries are random.

Hmm!

There are millionaires and billionaires, so why aren't there any hundredaires? Things that make you say hmm.

Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #72522
                          March 20, 2009
                          15 Posts
                          Posted: March 24, 2009, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

Random is a term that is used in mathematics and cryptography.  The definition (paraphrased) is that you can not determine the next number with any high degree of accuracy by looking at the previous numbers.

All of us here on LP have found that to be TRUE of the numbers used for lotto. 

In cryptography the "random" numbers are used to make a message unreadable by someone that does not know the sequence of numbers used.  Crypto experts will tell you that the quality of the randomness is determined by who you are trying to keep the message from!  Is it your grade-school-age sister?  Is it the computer guru that works in your office?  Is it a third-world country?  Is it the NSA with at least half a dozen super computers working 24 hours a day to break codes?

So, the computers that generate random numbers for lottery numbers are of good enough quality to fool us! 

Yes, the numbers are random and they are random enough to prevent the general public from figuring out the next number!

I just can't bother with this one. You win. LOL

Atlanta, GA
                            United States
                            Member #72522
                            March 20, 2009
                            15 Posts
                            Posted: March 24, 2009, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I think That the hour end between the cut off and the drawing they run numbers and see what it looks like  as far as how many winners payouts etc,I feel like it is controled some kind of  way.

Too many people playing, not that many winners

That's funny! I thought about this once before too. Who knows!

Jack-C's avatar - us
                              San Diego, CA
                              United States
                              Member #61467
                              May 24, 2008
                              28146 Posts
                              Posted: March 24, 2009, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I wanted to believe this too until I actually did start studying. Certain things occur that simply can't be random. Like for example, study any lottery you want to, and you will find that a number repeats from the very last drawing at least 65% of the time. 80% or better in Pick 3 and Pick 4 games. Or the fact that the numbers come up in a 3/2 or 2/3 combination of high and low numbers or odd and even numbers. Rarely do you every have all low numbers or all high numbers. Even more rare is all odd numbers are all even numbers in the lottery pool. These are just some of the patterns you will find. If random, how does this happen so consistently.

There are 220 pick 3 boxed combos.  Only 10 are all odd.  Only 10 are all even.  Only 10 are series, etc., etc., etc. 

The things you are pointing out actually PROVE that the draws are random!!