Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery and Marriage: What would you do?

Topic closed. 114 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Winlotta.

Page 5 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

If you were single and suddenly won a lottery jackpot, would you get married later in life?

Yes [ 30 ]  [50.85%]
No [ 29 ]  [49.15%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
New York,
Panama
Member #73078
April 4, 2009
3490 Posts
Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:30 am - IP Logged

tiggs bets ridge runner is laughing at the first sentence of this post..

LoL...Yes I am sure he is, he and is Sorority Club, he has going..LoLoLMHOoooofff

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3490 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:33 am - IP Logged

So you've never heard the phrase "starter marriage"? LOL

No, Is that supposed to be like a Starter kit!!LOL...rd, would know I am sure, he has had many of those...Lol, But I like that man he is too funny!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
      Panama
      Member #73078
      April 4, 2009
      3490 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:38 am - IP Logged

I agree with what you say. However, if I'm not married now and I win a MM or PB, I'd be very, very cautious about "jumping the broom" at that point! Anyone would...at least I hope. If a person does their homework (background check so to speak), then lots of turmoil can be avoided and warded off.

Preparation is everything and you wouldn't need to hide anything if you're prepared the obstacles associated with having this kind of wealth. When you get ready to do your workout for Pick 3, I'm sure you approach it with extreme caution because your money is involved right???

Well, if you go to those extremes to insure that "those people" don't get you for this small amount of money then how much more do you owe to protect MM or PB money??? Come on, now. Let's be straight up with each other here.

I'm no fuddy duddy and you don't seem to be, either. Now, if you're already with someone and you win, this is a different case. They're already sharing your up's and downs. But, to jump into marriage with your check book wide open showcasing millions...No Nod

L.L.

Hahahaha...I like when you said "Showcasing Millions"....Hahahah, Yes, yes Lucky that would be a special kind of stupid!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1649 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I ain't even gonna lie...I'd just do the Tiger Woods and enjoy myself if I wasn't already married. This way, everybody is happy and get's to enjoy my money...at my discretion.Wink

L.L.

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I ain't even gonna lie...I'd just do the Tiger Woods and enjoy myself if I wasn't already married. This way, everybody is happy and get's to enjoy my money...at my discretion.Wink

L.L.

Don't start me with Tiger Woods!!  It is sad that he has become this kind of byword! It is sad! If I had "yes" people coming around I would get rid of them so fast, their heads would spin!  Real people around him would have pulled him aside and ask "what the heck do you think you are doing??!"

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Don't start me with Tiger Woods!!  It is sad that he has become this kind of byword! It is sad! If I had "yes" people coming around I would get rid of them so fast, their heads would spin!  Real people around him would have pulled him aside and ask "what the heck do you think you are doing??!"

There are those who would question why Tiger Woods bought a cow when he was getting free milk everywhere he went.

I however, would not be among those who would ask such a ridiculous question. It is sexist and I recoil in horror at the very thought of it!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Chicago
              United States
              Member #70678
              February 8, 2009
              889 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2010, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

ca-,

If I ever decide to move to Utah and become a devout polygamist I'd be happy to have you as one of my wives.

WOW ridgy thanks for the offer ........BUT I don't like to share my men LOL!!!!!!!

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                Chicago
                United States
                Member #70678
                February 8, 2009
                889 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2010, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

So you've never heard the phrase "starter marriage"? LOL

LMAO NOOOOOO but that must of been what mine was!!!!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Some of y'all think the whole concept is laughable, but

Powerball lottery millionaire fields marriage, investment proposals
                  http://www.lotterypost.com/news/119598/444340

Oklahoma lottery winner says yes to TV; no to marriage proposals
                  http://www.lotterypost.com/news/162218/892047

... people can quickly go from  Hit With Stick to Lover or Naughty once you have the $$$.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    Portland,Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #14387
                    April 25, 2005
                    229 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2010, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Awwww rdgrnr - I didn't mean to exclude ya from the playin' part of the lookin' - I would surely be delighted - ifn I'm ever in your neck of the woods - to take you up on that offer of tea, party, rally and libations ;)

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                      Member #567
                      August 14, 2002
                      484 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2010, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I agree with what you say. However, if I'm not married now and I win a MM or PB, I'd be very, very cautious about "jumping the broom" at that point! Anyone would...at least I hope. If a person does their homework (background check so to speak), then lots of turmoil can be avoided and warded off.

Preparation is everything and you wouldn't need to hide anything if you're prepared the obstacles associated with having this kind of wealth. When you get ready to do your workout for Pick 3, I'm sure you approach it with extreme caution because your money is involved right???

Well, if you go to those extremes to insure that "those people" don't get you for this small amount of money then how much more do you owe to protect MM or PB money??? Come on, now. Let's be straight up with each other here.

I'm no fuddy duddy and you don't seem to be, either. Now, if you're already with someone and you win, this is a different case. They're already sharing your up's and downs. But, to jump into marriage with your check book wide open showcasing millions...No Nod

L.L.

OMG This is so true.  So true.  I agree with this statement 100%!

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                        Member #567
                        August 14, 2002
                        484 Posts
                        Posted: March 12, 2010, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Lottery winners need to be extra careful when it comes to marriage and money.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
                          Member #26330
                          November 16, 2005
                          330 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2010, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

I don't see the two as mutually exclusive.  I would hopefully claim my jackpot QUIETLY and avoid all media attention. This would also fall under the common lottery winners advice don't make any life changing decisions right away....  However after a few years of playing with the money and getting myself settled and head on straight.... I would Marry if I found the right woman...and I feel that if you are going to marry someone you share your WHOLE LIFE with them..so maybe I wouldn't tell a woman while we were dating but after I proposed I would plan a "special" suprise for my wife........

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                            Magnolia, Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #18795
                            July 20, 2005
                            789 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2010, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

In most states all personal property/assets are excluded from the community property laws in that state before their marriage. All property/assets that are accumulated after they get married will be subject to the community property laws of that state in which they live!

I wouldn't get married again! Once was enough for being taken to the cleaners!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

stephi's avatar - winifrid
                              rural lowcountry, south carolina
                              United States
                              Member #31677
                              February 2, 2006
                              196 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2010, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

I'd get married but, I'd make sure, to the best of my ability, that the person in question knew nothing of my winnings. This day and time, people know how to hide and disguise their motives very well and it would be in anyone's best interest to be extremely suspicious regarding a life partner.

I'm certain that no man or woman would want someone trying to hook up with them for pre-investigated financial securities with the lotto. Don't get me wrong, marriage is beautiful thing but, we have an obligation to simply use our common sense...especially in this case. Just my .02

L.L.

I agree with you 100% Sir L.L.

People just think of me as what I can do for them. I would keep my old car, get another old car or two, have a single wide trailer and do my best to make it appear I am poor, and that I am unemployed because of health problems.