Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do Wealthy People Play The Lottery?

Topic closed. 94 replies. Last post 6 years ago by dr65.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3690 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2010, 10:42 am - IP Logged

This may have been hashed out here before.  If so, my apologies.

Here's a question to ponder: Do you think there are any people who are already multi-millionaires and play the lottery?  If you do, do you think they win substantial prizes?

It's not like they can't afford to play thousands per week.  If they're famous, rather than buy in person, they could always have their hired help go buy the tickets.

I'm not asking if you think they should play or should not play.  Any rich person that does play doesnt care what anyone else's opinion might be. 

Just for the record, I'm a millionaire "wannabe".   That's why I play.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

edge's avatar - waveform

United States
    Member #68609
    December 26, 2008
    2204 Posts
    Posted: June 27, 2010, 10:45 am - IP Logged

by a mental disorder: yes

ab actu ad posse valet illatio - from the past one can infer the future

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: June 27, 2010, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Hollywood Henderson who played for the Dallas Cowboys way back when hit the Texas lottery and won millions..

Puffalishous's avatar - disney20

United States
        Member #88150
        March 10, 2010
        318 Posts
        Posted: June 27, 2010, 11:10 am - IP Logged

I think so... how many stories have we read of sports figures gambling? Michael Jordan? Maybe they do it out of boredomSulk Off

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: June 27, 2010, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Jack Whittaker owned a construction company and was already a millionaire when he bought $100 worth of PowerBall tickets and won.  Winning PB made him a multi-millionaire.

*Note: People who become millionaires by working hard and are still working to stay a millionaire probably don't think of themselves as rich.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: June 27, 2010, 11:14 am - IP Logged

I read somewhere that wealthy people spend more on the lottery but I don't remember if it was collectively or per capita.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3490 Posts
              Posted: June 27, 2010, 11:14 am - IP Logged

by a mental disorder: yes

I Agree!Yes, and the "the mental disorder has a name....Sick-GREED!!!Puke

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

cheryl59's avatar - center
                Va Beach
                United States
                Member #46651
                September 20, 2006
                1856 Posts
                Posted: June 27, 2010, 11:19 am - IP Logged

This may have been hashed out here before.  If so, my apologies.

Here's a question to ponder: Do you think there are any people who are already multi-millionaires and play the lottery?  If you do, do you think they win substantial prizes?

It's not like they can't afford to play thousands per week.  If they're famous, rather than buy in person, they could always have their hired help go buy the tickets.

I'm not asking if you think they should play or should not play.  Any rich person that does play doesnt care what anyone else's opinion might be. 

Just for the record, I'm a millionaire "wannabe".   That's why I play.

With out exposing her name :).. I know a lady  that won the Mega Millions twice! I see her playing all the time... I asked her one time why do you still play lottery? and she answered.... Why not. 

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: June 27, 2010, 11:28 am - IP Logged

I don't know Rosie............. I think the more people play,  the bigger the jackpots,   do you not like ambitious people that work and play hard?  Is there something wrong with accumulating wealth and gambling some away for the schools?  No one should be excluded from playing,  especially people that CAN afford to play.  The people that probably shouldn't gamble are the ones that CANNOT afford to, and are hoping somehow that the next big hit will fix everything. 

Sun Smiley

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                    NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3690 Posts
                    Posted: June 27, 2010, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the mentality of the wealthy, which is something that those of us who have never had a lot of money (that includes me) cant appreciate.  When you work as hard as you must do to earn it, you'll soon realize you have to work just as hard to keep it.

I know of cases where those that worked hard to become wealthy appreciate it far more than than their kids who were born into wealth.

Maybe it is greed, but do you think for one second they care what anyone else thinks it is?

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8359 Posts
                      Posted: June 27, 2010, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the mentality of the wealthy, which is something that those of us who have never had a lot of money (that includes me) cant appreciate.  When you work as hard as you must do to earn it, you'll soon realize you have to work just as hard to keep it.

I know of cases where those that worked hard to become wealthy appreciate it far more than than their kids who were born into wealth.

Maybe it is greed, but do you think for one second they care what anyone else thinks it is?

Actually many wealthy people throw their money around but many more don't they wear the same clothes drive the same car until it falls apart etc. And don't spend money on things they don't need or want.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                        MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                        Beautiful Florida
                        United States
                        Member #5709
                        July 18, 2004
                        20106 Posts
                        Posted: June 27, 2010, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

I think so... how many stories have we read of sports figures gambling? Michael Jordan? Maybe they do it out of boredomSulk Off

It's the thrill of victory, that goes along with the agony of defeat...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5583 Posts
                          Posted: June 27, 2010, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm sorry,  yes rich people play the lottery,  let's say you are worth $17 Million $17,000,000.00,  and the jackpot for Pball is $210,000,000.00 $210 Million,  wouldn't you throw down for a couple of quick picks?

Hurray!

Now lets say you are worth $1,700,   should you even gamble $1.00?  Would that be considered greedy, dumb,  or just plain hoping for miracle?

md
                            United States
                            Member #14047
                            April 20, 2005
                            579 Posts
                            Posted: June 27, 2010, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Yes wealthy people play the lottery, and will continue. If you are worth $10,000,000, and the Powerball is worth $330,000,000, its obvious, you will relishh the joy and hope of puttting a couple hundred down at the chance for much more.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                              Member #1987
                              August 5, 2003
                              8968 Posts
                              Posted: June 27, 2010, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I believe wealthy people play the lottery. I am sure we have an abundant amount of wealthy people who play the lottery here at the Lottery Post.