Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Win with Magic ( numbers and more)

Topic closed. 384 replies. Last post 5 years ago by sully16.

Page 26 of 26
PrintE-mailLink
sully16's avatar - sharan
Ringleader
Michigan
United States
Member #81740
October 28, 2009
40572 Posts
Posted: December 12, 2011, 9:06 am - IP Logged

LurkingHurray!HyperSmiley Santa

Thanks for all you do Sully16!!

Embarassed Thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40572 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2011, 9:24 am - IP Logged

TIS THE SEASON

Here are some Christmas traditions , folklore, and superstitions.

For many of us Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of our Savior the Lord Jesus Christ.

Many traditions have come from this time of year.

Long ago, this time of year was known as the festival of light.

It lasted for 12 days , starting 3 days after the winter solstice on December 21, hence December 24th Christmas eve.

The days were short, dark cold and gloomy, and folks were ready for spring and wanted to ensure a good spring planting.

Many of the things we incorporate into our holiday celebration have been around for hundreds of years, over the coming days, it will be my goal to share with you the meaning of many of the things we do and why our ancestors originally did them.

Please feel free to share your holiday traditions, special foods,  or just a warm story.

sootie1835's avatar - spherewall
      New York
      United States
      Member #108469
      March 26, 2011
      4011 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2011, 9:49 am - IP Logged

Thank You sully and Harve$t Moon for your delicious recipes.  MY mouth was watering. I am a Vegetarian and need other foods to eat. No meats or diary products in my house. I have to replace my protein with protein products.  I am a Vegetarian for medical reasons. Your recipes sound great!

BlessingsBlue Angel

Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40572 Posts
        Posted: December 12, 2011, 10:18 am - IP Logged

The red and green of Christmas

Why we have a Christmas tree.

Christmas trees are evergreens, The evergreen is a symbol of renewed life,

The greeness was to ensure a good spring, people decorated the house with as much evergreen as possible, at some point someone came up with the idea to bring the whole tree into the house, times must have been tough.

They decorated all the doors with wreaths, archways and mantles were covered with evergreen.

All the tables had evergreen centerpieces.

Holly, is believed to have protective powers against evil forces, witches and goblins.

The Holly was incorporated with as much evergreen as possible.

and there you have the red and green of Christmas.

Now Holly being considered male in nature , needed a counterpart...Ivy, female in nature.

The symbol for man and woman being brought together.

Ivy is considered very good luck when it grows on the home.

Traditionally,  ivy should never be brought into the home except for the 12 days of Christmas, and it should never be given as a gift.

Folklore suggests on New Years eve. That if you place an ivy leaf in a bowl of water for 12 days, after the 12 days if the leaf is still green you will have good health throughout the year, if it has black spots, it good be a sign of illness or even death.

Evergreens, brought home from church should be kept all year long for good luck.

next, decorating the tree.

Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40572 Posts
          Posted: December 12, 2011, 10:20 am - IP Logged

Thank You sully and Harve$t Moon for your delicious recipes.  MY mouth was watering. I am a Vegetarian and need other foods to eat. No meats or diary products in my house. I have to replace my protein with protein products.  I am a Vegetarian for medical reasons. Your recipes sound great!

BlessingsBlue Angel

Thank you Sootie, Hopefully we can get you some good recipes.

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
            Member #76986
            July 10, 2009
            8036 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2012, 5:06 pm - IP Logged
              eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
              LAS VEGAS
              United States
              Member #47729
              November 22, 2006
              4507 Posts
              Posted: January 9, 2012, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

The red and green of Christmas

Why we have a Christmas tree.

Christmas trees are evergreens, The evergreen is a symbol of renewed life,

The greeness was to ensure a good spring, people decorated the house with as much evergreen as possible, at some point someone came up with the idea to bring the whole tree into the house, times must have been tough.

They decorated all the doors with wreaths, archways and mantles were covered with evergreen.

All the tables had evergreen centerpieces.

Holly, is believed to have protective powers against evil forces, witches and goblins.

The Holly was incorporated with as much evergreen as possible.

and there you have the red and green of Christmas.

Now Holly being considered male in nature , needed a counterpart...Ivy, female in nature.

The symbol for man and woman being brought together.

Ivy is considered very good luck when it grows on the home.

Traditionally,  ivy should never be brought into the home except for the 12 days of Christmas, and it should never be given as a gift.

Folklore suggests on New Years eve. That if you place an ivy leaf in a bowl of water for 12 days, after the 12 days if the leaf is still green you will have good health throughout the year, if it has black spots, it good be a sign of illness or even death.

Evergreens, brought home from church should be kept all year long for good luck.

next, decorating the tree.

Wonderfully done Sully, capturing the magical Spirit of the Season, you are the centerpiece thread

May all your Christmas Wishes come true

EddessaKnight Sad Cheers

Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40572 Posts
                Posted: January 12, 2012, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Wonderfully done Sully, capturing the magical Spirit of the Season, you are the centerpiece thread

EddessaKnight Sad Cheers

I wish I could have done more, I worked everyday right up until Christmas  then got sick with the flu, so next year I'll have everything ready to go.

Until then I am gathering info on something else and wil post it when it's complete.

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
                  Member #76986
                  July 10, 2009
                  8036 Posts
                  Posted: January 14, 2012, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

EddessaKnight Sad Cheers

"Sully ..... you are the centerpiece thread"  ..EddessaKnight  (Quoted in part.)

I can't let you get away with your comment, EddessaKnight, for I have worked my butt off on this thread by providing much of the content and ALL of the numbers! Please review the each page again and see for yourself.

So to set the record straight in all fairness, honesty and fact, Sully16 AND Harve$t Moon are the centerpieces and anchors for this awesome and very informative thread!

The record is NOW straight! Yes Nod

Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    40572 Posts
                    Posted: January 14, 2012, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

You are  the centerpiece, I was inspired by you to start this thread, You have the most creative threads here and your dedication is unrivaled, Thank you .Lovies

Page 26 of 26