Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The biggest mistake people make is:

Topic closed. 98 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Jordans121.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4054 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2011, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

This is often my biggest mistake.  I'll be a day too early and a dollar short the next day.  I played this ticket a day too early and didn't have money to play the next day.  I had it in online and at the store for about three days.  Ran out of money, had to pay bills, had spent what I had budgeted.

takeemtothebank

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3857 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2011, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Your call down is valid.  Since you're new, you probably aren't aware of the kinds of attacks I've been subjected to.  You may also not be aware that RJOh is much smarter than he often feigns.  No, I don't think I'm "better" than anyone else.  I guess some of the nastiness I've had to deal with over the past year is turning me into a cynic.  Take a look back.

i was a 'lurker" for a while and tried to keep up w/ new posts while reading old ones.can't recall RJoh picking a fight w/ anyone. no doubt that he's smarter then he lets on,i call it midwestern horse sense.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2011, 12:22 am - IP Logged

This is often my biggest mistake.  I'll be a day too early and a dollar short the next day.  I played this ticket a day too early and didn't have money to play the next day.  I had it in online and at the store for about three days.  Ran out of money, had to pay bills, had spent what I had budgeted.

Ouch! Those ones hurt, Tenaj.

I missed $100,000 the same way.

Had the same Cash5 numbers in Va for 48 draws in a row.

All 5 came in on the 49th draw.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

thedillyo's avatar - newbgf

Jamaica
        Member #75105
        May 27, 2009
        724 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2011, 1:09 am - IP Logged

The biggest mistake people make is making their selection based on a previous draw.

In other words you have to get your inspiration outside of the game...or else you can always be lead like a horse on rope.

Close your eyes and play!

"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

----Abraham Maslow

4287 9993 3909 1798 3095 0276 5339

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
          California
          United States
          Member #112364
          June 17, 2011
          661 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2011, 1:38 am - IP Logged

Not keeping track of how much they spend and how much they win.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2011, 2:51 am - IP Logged

I guess a lot of players must believe that because this recent PB drawing:

07/09/11 - 01 09 11 23 31  +06

had no winners of its $48.0 M prize. 

The biggest mistakes lottery players make is believing everything the experts say.

In the last 12 months, how many times have all the numbers been calendar numbers?

Six.

How many in 2011?

One.

Unless I screwed up my counts.

Odds don't look too good to me there.

Experts are like software: if they were good, they would win ALL the time, not once every 15 years.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2011, 2:53 am - IP Logged

And to discuss my comment about 'Plumbers':

1) You so totally missed my point I'm not wasting my time discussing (arguing) it with any of you that didn't 'get it'.

2) I made NO diss to plumbers, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably be one, or an HVAC guy.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3502 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2011, 3:37 am - IP Logged

I checked the occurrences of such PB combinations for the last 3½ years and found that what I post wasn't an exception and what you said about birthday combinations generally having more than one winner was not true.

DATE         NUMBERS             JP     WINNERS

07/09/11 - 01 09 11 23 31 +06    $48.0M     0
                 12/11/10 - 01 08 10 19 20 +23    $37.0M     2
                 12/01/10 - 05 10 11 12 20 +02    $95.3M     1
                 10/16/10 - 11 12 15 16 28 +11    $46.0M     0
                 08/21/10 - 07 10 12 22 27 +26    $71.0M     1
                 07/28/10 - 01 11 20 25 27 +02    $85.0M     0
                 01/27/10 - 06 15 20 26 31 +09    $90.0M     0
                 11/11/09 - 08 12 14 22 29 +22    $96.0M     1
                 09/23/09 - 07 08 20 25 29 +11   $150.0M     0
                 05/27/09 - 05 06 12 16 21 +07   $232.0M     1
                 05/06/09 - 07 08 12 22 31 +18   $109.0M     0
                 12/17/08 - 07 11 18 24 30 +26    $57.0M     0
                 08/13/08 - 05 10 19 23 31 +26    $35.0M     0
                 05/31/08 - 03 09 14 17 25 +08    $34.1M     1
                 03/05/08 - 10 15 16 23 31 +05   $200.0M     0
                 01/19/08 - 20 23 25 27 28 +02    $20.0M     0
                 01/09/08 - 02 13 20 21 23 +24    $83.0M     0

He didn't say that birthday combinations generally have more than one winner. He said they have a greater chance of having multiple winners.

You've got a list of 17 drawings with only birthday numbers, and 6 had jackpot winners. For that sample drawings with only birthday numbers were won 35% of the time. What percentage of drawings that include numbers greater than 31 have a jackpot winner?

Your data also shows that 1 out of 6 drawings with at least 1 winner had a 2nd winner. That's 16.67%. Looking at all of the winners currently listed on PB's "winner's stories" page there are 107 drawings with winners and 10 of those have multiple winners. 3 of those 10  were drawings with only birthday numbers, so out of 107 drawings with winners only 7 had multiple winners when a non-birthday number was drawn. That's 6.5%.

What your data shows is that those who won a jackpot playing only birthday numbers were just over 2.5 times as likely to share the jackpot as those who won while playing at least one non-birthday number.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19903 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2011, 8:32 am - IP Logged

He didn't say that birthday combinations generally have more than one winner. He said they have a greater chance of having multiple winners.

You've got a list of 17 drawings with only birthday numbers, and 6 had jackpot winners. For that sample drawings with only birthday numbers were won 35% of the time. What percentage of drawings that include numbers greater than 31 have a jackpot winner?

Your data also shows that 1 out of 6 drawings with at least 1 winner had a 2nd winner. That's 16.67%. Looking at all of the winners currently listed on PB's "winner's stories" page there are 107 drawings with winners and 10 of those have multiple winners. 3 of those 10  were drawings with only birthday numbers, so out of 107 drawings with winners only 7 had multiple winners when a non-birthday number was drawn. That's 6.5%.

What your data shows is that those who won a jackpot playing only birthday numbers were just over 2.5 times as likely to share the jackpot as those who won while playing at least one non-birthday number.

My data was only meant to show there were PB drawings where all the numbers were below 32 that had a single or no winners more often than multiple winners.  It covered a period from 01/03/09 to the present which included 266 drawings.  Someone else compiling data for all 266 PB drawings and the 34 jackpots won during that period might conclude PB drawings with all numbers less than 32 are more likely to be won maybe because more players play such combinations (I have no idea), but that wasn't what I was trying to show.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19903 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2011, 10:59 am - IP Logged

In the last 12 months, how many times have all the numbers been calendar numbers?

Six.

How many in 2011?

One.

Unless I screwed up my counts.

Odds don't look too good to me there.

Experts are like software: if they were good, they would win ALL the time, not once every 15 years.

Real lottery experts know they're luckier than most if they win a lottery jackpot once in a life time.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                      Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5587 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2011, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

I don't think that's a mistake.

Every number you pick is based on a decision, but you need to write down WHY you decided to pick that number, most folks don't.

When you DO write down why, you can then see which decision bases are ok, and which ones you can throw out/try something new.

I mean, if you pick a certain number based on one thing, and after two months it NEVER hits, it's not a good decision.

Excellent advice.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        51255 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2011, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

One of the biggest lottery mistakes is playing only the Birthday Numbers. (ie: the numbers between 1 & 31) Thud

Maybe the Experts that say this are Wrong:

MM 5/56+1/46=175,711,536 combinations

PB 5/59+1/39=195,249,054 combinations

BN 5/31+1/31=005,267,241 combinations

Key: MM=MegaMillions, PB=PowerBall, BN=Birthday Numbers

When all Birthday Numbers are Drawn: It's Smart to be Playing Birthday Numbers! LOL

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

karinda's avatar - WINGS
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #108445
                          March 25, 2011
                          2855 Posts
                          Posted: July 22, 2011, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

In my humble opinion, the biggest mistake is not keeping your foot in the door.

I think it's crazy to wait for the PB or MM Jackpots to reach a certain level before spending a buck or two on them.

I admit the odds are astronomically against you but they were also astronomically against the guy who won the last Jackpot too.

I keep one line of my favorites and one line of Quick Picks in play all the time with multi-picks for 10 drawings in advance so I don't forget. I would get them for even longer but ten is the limit in Tennessee because if you want any more than that, you're considered in league with the devil and you have to undergo dunking to rid yourself of him. I increase my play with any winnings I get.

I Agree!   I was surprised to learn that some wait until the jackpot reaches a certain amount before they will play. I'm not speaking of those who use it as a way to budget how much they can spend, or those who don't play on a regular basis...but when someone does play often and says; "It's only 20 million so I'm not playing tonight." Holy smokes! Shocked 

In New Jersey, if you don't buy more than one ticket they say, "That's it?". Big Smile  Sometimes I feel like saying; "'That's it' unless you want to buy some tickets for me!" Wink

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3857 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2011, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!   I was surprised to learn that some wait until the jackpot reaches a certain amount before they will play. I'm not speaking of those who use it as a way to budget how much they can spend, or those who don't play on a regular basis...but when someone does play often and says; "It's only 20 million so I'm not playing tonight." Holy smokes! Shocked 

In New Jersey, if you don't buy more than one ticket they say, "That's it?". Big Smile  Sometimes I feel like saying; "'That's it' unless you want to buy some tickets for me!" Wink

i play our pic6 regardless of the JP, although it seems like most times it hits when it moves above 6mil. not surewhy,but i suspect that happens cause thats when more ppl. start playing. Smile like the comeback to the cashier,thats it ? uhh.. yes, you were expecting maybe i clean out my wallet? also the JP is smaller,more manageable and you won't need to go into hiding.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

karinda's avatar - WINGS
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #108445
                              March 25, 2011
                              2855 Posts
                              Posted: July 22, 2011, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Let's say I am a plumber, how to I parlay that into picking numbers?

You could couple your ideas with other LP members to make a perfect fitting to the lines you plan on playing. Most importantly, you have to trap the right numbers to win. But you have to go with the flow or people will call you a drip, and don't tell too many people your secrets or it may leak out...

Don't vent your frustrations on someone If you don't win, it'll just drain your energy.

Some of your friends may tell you that your efforts are nothing but a pipe dream. Don't listen to them, they can't handle the pressure.

This is great! You could copyright this, imho. It's classic! Cheers