Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 250 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19900 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2013, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Your the one claiming that there needs to be some mathematical explanation to all of this. You and Jimmy should be working together in the math forum to prove your case. Picking 28 winning numbers dosent require any math, and neither does picking a single winning bonus number to go with the 28 numbers, just timing.

I Agree! The Math forum could use the activity but I think Boney and Jimmy prefer to battle in this thread.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7344 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2013, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

Finally!  You are admitting to the reality of the situation.  OK, since we apparently agree that selecting a 28 number subset from which to select your tickets does not guarantee a win, I assume we must, by necessity, agree that there is a certain amount of UNCERTAINTY associated with your methods.

Those of us who rely on traditional probability theory, the same theory employed by physicists to study problems in Quantum Mechanics, believe that your odds of winning for each ticket purchased is 175 Million to 1.

Please, please, give us a ball park estimate of what you believe YOUR improved odds are when you select your numbers from a set of 28, rather than the 56 we traditionalists select from.

--Jimmy4164

Jimmy the Distraction said: "how many tickets they might expect to purchase over the 39 draws they keep referring to, in order to guarantee their big win?"

But nobody made any "big win" guarantees and now because of that, he believes we need another boring lecture.

I'll give a guarantee, 51 numbers won't be drawn in the next drawing and neither will 45 of the bonus numbers. It's none of my business if you want to purchase randomly chosen QPs that probably will have five of those 51 numbers and one of the 45 bonus numbers.

Jimmy, you ought to look up the words synonymous with "distraction".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/distraction?s=t

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7344 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2013, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Is this a serious question?

Because if you do match one bonus ball, there's also a chance that you matched MORE than one bonus ball.

If you add the chance of just that ball, plus the odds of that ball and (1,2,3,4 and 5) white balls, it would be exacly 1 in 46 odds.  What I don't understand is how the clearly mathemetically illiterate are going to make convuluted arguments that they no are non sense.

"Because if you do match one bonus ball, there's also a chance that you matched MORE than one bonus ball."

It sure looks like the chart says "1 in 76" for matching 0 + 1 and gives the chances of matching 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 numbers with the bonus number too. 

"What I don't understand is how the clearly mathemetically illiterate are going to make convuluted arguments that they no are non sense."

Take it up with Mega Millions because it's their chart, not mine. And just maybe they will explain to you those odds means 1 in every 75 tickets should match 0 + 0.

"Is this a serious question?"

You tell me; RL got a laugh out of it and you took it serious.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #99032
        October 18, 2010
        1439 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2013, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

"Because if you do match one bonus ball, there's also a chance that you matched MORE than one bonus ball."

It sure looks like the chart says "1 in 76" for matching 0 + 1 and gives the chances of matching 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 numbers with the bonus number too. 

"What I don't understand is how the clearly mathemetically illiterate are going to make convuluted arguments that they no are non sense."

Take it up with Mega Millions because it's their chart, not mine. And just maybe they will explain to you those odds means 1 in every 75 tickets should match 0 + 0.

"Is this a serious question?"

You tell me; RL got a laugh out of it and you took it serious.

If you added the probabilities of getting 5+1, 4+1, 3+1, 2+1, 1+1 and 0+1 you'd get .021739.....  or 1 in 46.  There chart is accurate, and you are misinterpreting the data is provides.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7344 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2013, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I have to check out, but I will be laughing the rest of the day over that one.............

If you match both the numbers the jackpot is 4 bucks and a quarter for matching one number.

Do you think Jimmy has pitched his new game to any of the state lotteries?

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7344 Posts
            Posted: January 20, 2013, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

If you added the probabilities of getting 5+1, 4+1, 3+1, 2+1, 1+1 and 0+1 you'd get .021739.....  or 1 in 46.  There chart is accurate, and you are misinterpreting the data is provides.

"There chart is accurate, and you are misinterpreting the data is provides."

The chart is accurate but somewhat misleading to the average player, but then you wouldn't had the chance to show off your math skills.

Thanks for the input, but I already knew the odds against any of the 3,819,816 possible combinations matching the bonus number. I also know that 2,349,060 of the 3,819,816 combinations will not match a number, but about 2.17% of them should match just the bonus number.

But right now we're only interested in the 1,470,756 combinations that do match at least one number and trying to reduce that to 98,280 combos without removing the one combinations that matches all five numbers. If you really want to empress us with your math skills, why not help the cause?

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #99032
              October 18, 2010
              1439 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2013, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

"If you really want to empress us with your math skills, why not help the cause?"

I don't care to impress, nor do I care to take an a fruitless endevour.  It's not a goal that is any more likely through work or a random methodology.

United States
                Member #93947
                July 10, 2010
                2180 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2013, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Jimmy the Distraction said: "how many tickets they might expect to purchase over the 39 draws they keep referring to, in order to guarantee their big win?"

But nobody made any "big win" guarantees and now because of that, he believes we need another boring lecture.

I'll give a guarantee, 51 numbers won't be drawn in the next drawing and neither will 45 of the bonus numbers. It's none of my business if you want to purchase randomly chosen QPs that probably will have five of those 51 numbers and one of the 45 bonus numbers.

Jimmy, you ought to look up the words synonymous with "distraction".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/distraction?s=t

What do you feel you are being distracted from?

During the hours I'm gone from here, I see nothing but drivel in this thread.  Without Boney526 and myself pointing out the flaws in your logic, it would consist of no more than you repeatedly telling us there are less combinations of 28 things taken 5 at a time than 56 things taken 5 at a time and Ronnie326 posting one liners and an occasional list of 28 intuitively selected numbers.

What's your point?

--Jimmy4164

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19964 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2013, 9:21 am - IP Logged

Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                    Member #137599
                    January 7, 2013
                    7 Posts
                    Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:21 am - IP Logged

I take it computer games are out of the question. They can be prgrammed to drop any numbers as the lottery sees fit. As in the Fantasy 5 in MI. At a 3 month spot check, a few draws with all odd numbers.

Nov 07, 20120523273537

Nov 16, 20121719252737

Nov 26, 20120109111519

Jan 17, 20130311273339

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Smiley

See Ya!

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:29 am - IP Logged

What do you feel you are being distracted from?

During the hours I'm gone from here, I see nothing but drivel in this thread.  Without Boney526 and myself pointing out the flaws in your logic, it would consist of no more than you repeatedly telling us there are less combinations of 28 things taken 5 at a time than 56 things taken 5 at a time and Ronnie326 posting one liners and an occasional list of 28 intuitively selected numbers.

What's your point?

--Jimmy4164

Really Jimmy? Whats the point? 

You bombard this thread your questions about what the point is, and complaints about my one lines posts in a state of ignorance over this being a lottery forum where and we are TRYING to win a jackpot. 3 lines.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I Agree! The Math forum could use the activity but I think Boney and Jimmy prefer to battle in this thread.

Exactly, These guys dont seem to have any initiative of their own. It reminds my when boney told me to go sit in a corner and flip a coin 5000 times tracking the results, so I could report back to him my findings. 2 lines.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:36 am - IP Logged

You never even buy a lottery ticket Jimmy, so what is your point?

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Jimmy reminds me of medbrat, he wants to show up here and judge peoples conversation as "drivel"

I wonder if that makes him feel superior to other people?

Page 250 of 353