Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 52 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19817 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2012, 2:27 am - IP Logged

Tonight I'm buying 10 line for PB but if it's won tonight, I'll be buying 20 lines for MM on Friday.

I've started my workout for Friday's MM drawing already.  I only got a 2+0 for PB tonight.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11975 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2012, 9:39 am - IP Logged

I've started my workout for Friday's MM drawing already.  I only got a 2+0 for PB tonight.

I thought that you only spent $20 monthly?

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19817 Posts
      Posted: August 16, 2012, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I thought that you only spent $20 monthly?

Where did you get that idea?  That's only $240 a year, I've always spent more that that.  I spend as much on lotteries as some folks spend on cigarettes and beer.

Evil Looking       

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        11975 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2012, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Where did you get that idea?  That's only $240 a year, I've always spent more that that.  I spend as much on lotteries as some folks spend on cigarettes and beer.

Oh, I'm sorry I did not know that you were a BIG LOTTERY WHALE. I already spent $10 on MM for tomorrow. I had to put $3 out of my pocket since I only won $7 on PB last night from a $10 ticket. Good luck.

US Flag

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: August 16, 2012, 10:27 am - IP Logged

It's impossible to "know" anything for sure about a random event before it happens but if you believe what happens most is most likely to happen again then you play in a way to take advantage of that.

I once used repeat frequencies and had some luck but it involves a lot of recalculations after each drawing. I still use it to pick my bonus numbers. It's part of my working strategy when I play PB since I only play ten lines. It worked well last Saturday and even though there was no way I would have ever matched 5+1, 4+1 was a possibility and I matched 3+0 and a 1+1 for $11. I'm trying the same thing tonight with PB, we'll see after the drawing if it worked again.

We all are looking for a strategy that works better than normal and the only way to know if we have one is by winning.

Thanks RJOh, I agree your statement has some truth to it........

"It's impossible to "know" anything for sure about a random event before it happens

My statement is true considering I didn't have the words "for sure" inserted.

What I said is.....................

it is possible to just "know" that a certain number or set of numbers are likely to hit soon and very soon.

"Know for sure" is your term. It is cold and frigged, and for the most part useless.

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: August 16, 2012, 10:38 am - IP Logged

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: August 16, 2012, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Now THAT is one really cold number.

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                Member #48046
                December 7, 2006
                1699 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2012, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Let's See

The last time Bonus Ball    25  hit was about a Month -and -a half  ago   6-8-12

also   it Hit in the Test  Run just last week    on  8-10 12

so..........that's kinda positive

BTW:  Yea  the Daisy 880 Powerline is a Pump    Don't pump it over 10 times     it's kinda strong.

Texas
                  United States
                  Member #109596
                  April 16, 2011
                  9 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2012, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

I am a bit distressed by the lottery proceedings, as well as, the proceedings of the other 49 states. As I write this, I am in FAVOR of abolishing the Lottery and all those of participating states. I will be forth coming soon with my findings from an ongoing studying of the lottery drawings. Also do you guys find it ironic that their are only 1000 combinations for the pick three but yet triple digits and quadruple numbers are rarely drawn. Don't you think if you have two games per day for seven days a week, fourteen drawings a week, for three hundred and sixty five days a year you would at least see those type of patterns. In addition, don't you also find it a little "ponzi" that never in the history of the <snip> where drawings like 2-4-6-8-10-...Whole and even even or chronological numbers like 1-2-3-4-5-6 has never been drawn? Also, how is it possible that you can get the same pattern of numbers for the pick three/four, but yet cannot never get the same pattern of numbers for PowerBall, Mega or State games? Make you wonder right? Furthermore, if each states are using "SmartPlay" machines don't you think a uncontrolled machine has the possibility of popping the same pattern of numbers for a month straight considering its just "random" right? I guess this "SmartPlay" machines isn't so SMART! Actually they so smart they no NOT to draw quadruple, chronological and triple digits numbers.

If the lottery isn't rigged why do THEY need to do "pretest drawings?" My thing is this if they wanna pretest the balls to make sure the machine is properly functioning just USE blank BALLS!

ABOLISH THE LOTTERY UNTIL ITS NOT CONTROLLED!

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                    Member #48046
                    December 7, 2006
                    1699 Posts
                    Posted: August 16, 2012, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Suppose  Ball number   7  had a defect in it,

And Ball number  7  got drawn     Draw,  after draw,  after draw,  after draw,  mabey... ball  number  7  came up  50 draws in a Row

They'd never know if it was Blank

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      11975 Posts
                      Posted: August 16, 2012, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I am a bit distressed by the lottery proceedings, as well as, the proceedings of the other 49 states. As I write this, I am in FAVOR of abolishing the Lottery and all those of participating states. I will be forth coming soon with my findings from an ongoing studying of the lottery drawings. Also do you guys find it ironic that their are only 1000 combinations for the pick three but yet triple digits and quadruple numbers are rarely drawn. Don't you think if you have two games per day for seven days a week, fourteen drawings a week, for three hundred and sixty five days a year you would at least see those type of patterns. In addition, don't you also find it a little "ponzi" that never in the history of the <snip> where drawings like 2-4-6-8-10-...Whole and even even or chronological numbers like 1-2-3-4-5-6 has never been drawn? Also, how is it possible that you can get the same pattern of numbers for the pick three/four, but yet cannot never get the same pattern of numbers for PowerBall, Mega or State games? Make you wonder right? Furthermore, if each states are using "SmartPlay" machines don't you think a uncontrolled machine has the possibility of popping the same pattern of numbers for a month straight considering its just "random" right? I guess this "SmartPlay" machines isn't so SMART! Actually they so smart they no NOT to draw quadruple, chronological and triple digits numbers.

If the lottery isn't rigged why do THEY need to do "pretest drawings?" My thing is this if they wanna pretest the balls to make sure the machine is properly functioning just USE blank BALLS!

YOU WILL NOT LOSE MONEY ON THE LOTTERY IF YOU DO NOT PLAY.

Save your money.

US Flag

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7297 Posts
                        Posted: August 16, 2012, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Playing 56 numbers on 12 lines reduces the odds a great deal. I have tried it with take 5, lotto, powerball and mega millions. I did not have any luck with it though.

I like the shotgun approach because you increase your chances of winning without spending extra money. Saving $5 for 4 weeks allows you to play 20 lines in one shot without spending extra money. It takes discipline to seat out 4 drawings without playing, but I buy quick picks, so it does not matter if I seat out for 4 drawings to increase my chances. Buying multiple tickets does not guarantee that I will win a jackpot.

I think that Ronnie is using the shotgun method the wrong way. You can buy many lines, but you have to play those lines within your budget to avoid spending extra money.

Buying multiple lines in a single drawing offers the same chances of winning relative to spreading them over several drawings. 10 lines in one drawing offers the same chances of winning as 10 lines spread out over 10 drawings. I did not believe it before, but now I do.

Since each MM number is used in 341,055 combos, those are your odds against matching all five numbers when using all 56 numbers on 12 lines. You can only slightly improve those odds because up to four of those numbers can be used twice. These odds are fixed and outcome can't change them because you're guaranteed to match all five numbers in five of those lines.

You have to consider the odds against having all 56 numbers and just based on the five QPs I'm looking at with only 22 different numbers (out of a possible 25), I doubt you'll find 12 QPs using all 56 numbers. If one or more of the numbers drawn happens to be one of the missing numbers, you had no chance of matching five numbers.

"I think that Ronnie is using the shotgun method the wrong way."

Ronnie used 98,280 targets and had a 1 in 39 chance of hitting one of them.

A true "shotgun" approach means more chances of hitting the target and the "shotgun BB's" coming out are the five drawn numbers. If you don't buy enough targets (QPs), you're taken a chance there is no target to hit. How many QPs do you need to buy to be assured you'll have every number at least once?

"10 lines in one drawing offers the same chances of winning as 10 lines spread out over 10 drawings. I did not believe it before, but now I do."

With only 10 lines, you can't guarantee all the numbers will be on the targets and each shotgun shell has only five BB's so there is a 12% chance at least one of the 5 BB's will be outside of the target.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19817 Posts
                          Posted: August 16, 2012, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Pick3 and pick4 games only have 10 numbers and 1000 to 10000 possible combinations, they can't be compared with jackpot games that have up to 59 numbers and more than 10000000 possible combinations.

You have your opinions but I doubt if they will convince anyone to stop playing, even you.  If you feel that way why play?  If others winning distress you, stop reading about it.

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7297 Posts
                            Posted: August 16, 2012, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

"Also do you guys find it ironic that their are only 1000 combinations for the pick three but yet triple digits and quadruple numbers are rarely drawn."

"Irony" is when triples hit in consecutive drawings and only 1/3 of the winners played triples in the next drawing. Not disputing your "facts", but I wouldn't define four triples hitting in KY in the month of July as "rarely drawn". 

"Don't you think if you have two games per day for seven days a week, fourteen drawings a week, for three hundred and sixty five days a year you would at least see those type of patterns."

Doing the math, in everyone of those 730 drawings there were 990 possible non-triples so no, I'm not surprised if less than seven triples were drawn. And believe it or not, the odds against a triple being drawn are the same as any other group of ten three digit numbers.

Looking at the results, we concluded in this thread because some groups of ten three digit numbers were drawn more than probability, in the future other groups will be drawn more. We're talking about groups of 28 MM numbers but the results are the same.

"In addition, don't you also find it a little "ponzi" that never in the history of the <snip> where drawings like 2-4-6-8-10-...Whole and even even or chronological numbers like 1-2-3-4-5-6 has never been drawn? "

There are 54 Powerball combos with five consecutive numbers so on average five consecutive numbers should be drawn once out of every 95,438 drawings. Come back in 918 years and we'll start a conspiracy thread.

"Also, how is it possible that you can get the same pattern of numbers for the pick three/four, but yet cannot never get the same pattern of numbers for PowerBall, Mega or State games?"

Just a wild guess, but maybe it's because a pick-3 game has 1000 possible outcomes and PB has 5,153,633?

"If the lottery isn't rigged why do THEY need to do "pretest drawings?" My thing is this if they wanna pretest the balls to make sure the machine is properly functioning just USE blank BALLS!"

I believe part of the test is to check for a bias within a set of balls that may or may not be used for the actual drawing. It would really be ironic if a lottery takes your suggestion and one of the blank balls shows up during the real live drawing.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7297 Posts
                              Posted: August 16, 2012, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

Pick3 and pick4 games only have 10 numbers and 1000 to 10000 possible combinations, they can't be compared with jackpot games that have up to 59 numbers and more than 10000000 possible combinations.

You have your opinions but I doubt if they will convince anyone to stop playing, even you.  If you feel that way why play?  If others winning distress you, stop reading about it.

It's amazing how some people after reading "each digit has a 1 in 10 chance of being drawn", believes that translates into each digit in each digit position must drawn once in every 10 drawings. They have no idea of the statistical probability against that ever happening.

This one would have freaked out when 023 went over 11,000 drawings between hits in Ohio.

Page 52 of 353