Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Honestly would you really care how much taxes you had to pay??

Topic closed. 189 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Lucky Loser.

Page 1 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: December 4, 2012, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Seriously if you were the one who just won that 587 million dollar jackpot....Would you really care how much taxes you had to pay??? Be realistic now....I don't want to see ansewrs like if the taxes were a 100% or 75% yeah I'd care....Well stop cause they're not... I live in NC it's 32% here that's reality.... 32% isn't going to kill anybody financially....I mean this is more money that ANY OF US HERE WILL EVER EARN IN 30 LIFETIMES.....I could care less how much I paid  in taxes...I would just be glad I was able to pay it.....SERIOUSLY........

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: December 4, 2012, 10:59 am - IP Logged

The other night Yahoo Finance had an article about the couple in Missouri that won the PB and if they had won after this fiscal cliff situation and it goes 'wrong', it would have cost them an addittinal $17.7M in taxes.

That's not exactly chump change.

I can't agree with you on this, B2B, since the U.S, taxes gambling winnings while a lot of countries don't. The UK, Canada, Australia, and others, whatever you win is yours. As it should be.

Just my $.02

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2012, 11:14 am - IP Logged

The other night Yahoo Finance had an article about the couple in Missouri that won the PB and if they had won after this fiscal cliff situation and it goes 'wrong', it would have cost them an addittinal $17.7M in taxes.

That's not exactly chump change.

I can't agree with you on this, B2B, since the U.S, taxes gambling winnings while a lot of countries don't. The UK, Canada, Australia, and others, whatever you win is yours. As it should be.

Just my $.02

Yeah its not chupmp change.....but YOU JUST WON 587 MILLION DOLLARS......Cmon it's alot but compared to what you won it is nothing...it's more than you will ever spend....so get to spending LOL.......On another note I live here......in the US.......Not Canada, not Australia, not bum freaking Egypt....Here....if I didn't like it I'd leave.....

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: December 4, 2012, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Yeah its not chupmp change.....but YOU JUST WON 587 MILLION DOLLARS......Cmon it's alot but compared to what you won it is nothing...it's more than you will ever spend....so get to spending LOL.......On another note I live here......in the US.......Not Canada, not Australia, not bum freaking Egypt....Here....if I didn't like it I'd leave.....

I resent paying a nickle more than I have to because of the way the government spends it. Most of it just gets pissed away and our debt is out of control because THEY WON'T STOP THE INSANE SPENDING! There aren't enough rich people in this country to pay for their spending sprees and half the country is on welfare and food stamps.

If I wanted my money pissed away on nonsense or thrown down a rat hole I'd rather do it myself than give it to them.

Afterall, it's my money, not theirs.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40262 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2012, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Are you Kidding me?, You like paying taxes? You think someone else deserves your hard earned money? Just send your next paycheck to me, I'll spend it on pet rocks and stuffed bears, Maybe I'll start a marble collection, I'll just buy really stupid stuff and maybe you'll get the idea how our beloved ( heavy sarcasm) government works, after all we really did need turtle tunnels and lizzard bridges, oh , and cement toilets in the Mark Twain National forest, that cost 45 thousand dollars each.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
            Jacksonville Florida
            United States
            Member #23018
            October 6, 2005
            914 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2012, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I would absolutely be concerned with how much taxes are paid. I would work all the legal tax angles so more could be donated to worthwhile charities (the charities that actually help people and animals, not the national fundraising charities/scams where most of the donations go to big buildings and high salaries).

It is so much more meaningful to give millions to worthwhile charities than to the current government to waste.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
              Texas
              United States
              Member #86154
              January 30, 2010
              1648 Posts
              Posted: December 4, 2012, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

Seriously if you were the one who just won that 587 million dollar jackpot....Would you really care how much taxes you had to pay??? Be realistic now....I don't want to see ansewrs like if the taxes were a 100% or 75% yeah I'd care....Well stop cause they're not... I live in NC it's 32% here that's reality.... 32% isn't going to kill anybody financially....I mean this is more money that ANY OF US HERE WILL EVER EARN IN 30 LIFETIMES.....I could care less how much I paid  in taxes...I would just be glad I was able to pay it.....SERIOUSLY........

I like your common sense here. Regardless of what goes down, you're gonna pay the government their's, and, especially if you take the lump sum. The gift tax alone is 35% on that option but, as you've said, you'll still have way more money than you really know what to do with after that. It's still a ton of money to put to work and generate even more money without much effort. Taking the (25) payments is good as long as you're somewhat young and take care of yourself...can't account for freak accidents though.

There are many ways to offset taxes which are perfectly legal. People that complain about paying the taxes associated on lottery jackpots haven't been educated on our tax codes at all. Tax codes are there to actually help the person keep their money and re-invest it. Businesses have no hobbies...you can put so much under your corporation or business. People should really educate themselves more. FORBES had a really good article on this back in March.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                upstate NY
                United States
                Member #108791
                March 31, 2011
                549 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2012, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

I resent paying a nickle more than I have to because of the way the government spends it. Most of it just gets pissed away and our debt is out of control because THEY WON'T STOP THE INSANE SPENDING! There aren't enough rich people in this country to pay for their spending sprees and half the country is on welfare and food stamps.

If I wanted my money pissed away on nonsense or thrown down a rat hole I'd rather do it myself than give it to them.

Afterall, it's my money, not theirs.

You want to "stop the insane spending"?  Let's start with breaking the habit of sending our young men and women overseas to die for oil, sucker.  We spend more on the military than we do on safety net programs, and it's not needed.  We already spend billions more than even the #2 nation on the list.

I'm all for cutting waste, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Patriot

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2012, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Are you Kidding me?, You like paying taxes? You think someone else deserves your hard earned money? Just send your next paycheck to me, I'll spend it on pet rocks and stuffed bears, Maybe I'll start a marble collection, I'll just buy really stupid stuff and maybe you'll get the idea how our beloved ( heavy sarcasm) government works, after all we really did need turtle tunnels and lizzard bridges, oh , and cement toilets in the Mark Twain National forest, that cost 45 thousand dollars each.

RE-READ WHAT I WROTE.....Didn't say anything about I like paying taxes...I said if you were FOURTUNATE ENOUGH to win the last huge jackpot would you really care how much you paid in taxes....You still have a boatload of cash left after you pay...YOU"RE GONNA PAY THE GOVERNMENT....regardless....and how can you cry about what the govt. spends you gave it up it's gone...its like complain that the homeless guy you gave a dollar to goes and buys beer...he bought it with his money...and YES after YOU give something away it is NO LONGER YOURS....it's given so let it go....Im not a fan of how govt spends my money either but it's not really mine after they take it anyways........

Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1648 Posts
                    Posted: December 4, 2012, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

RE-READ WHAT I WROTE.....Didn't say anything about I like paying taxes...I said if you were FOURTUNATE ENOUGH to win the last huge jackpot would you really care how much you paid in taxes....You still have a boatload of cash left after you pay...YOU"RE GONNA PAY THE GOVERNMENT....regardless....and how can you cry about what the govt. spends you gave it up it's gone...its like complain that the homeless guy you gave a dollar to goes and buys beer...he bought it with his money...and YES after YOU give something away it is NO LONGER YOURS....it's given so let it go....Im not a fan of how govt spends my money either but it's not really mine after they take it anyways........

I believe we're saying the same thing, buddy. The context in which you interpreted it may be wrong, though. I was basically confirming that there's no way around what the government deems as theirs...they will get it. The analogy of the homeless guy here is one that I used in another thread and makes perfect sense...I'm agreement with you on pretty much all this. Yes, the government wastes LOTS of money...and have been doing intensely so for a very long time now.

L.L.

#lotto-4-a-living

Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1648 Posts
                      Posted: December 4, 2012, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

You want to "stop the insane spending"?  Let's start with breaking the habit of sending our young men and women overseas to die for oil, sucker.  We spend more on the military than we do on safety net programs, and it's not needed.  We already spend billions more than even the #2 nation on the list.

RUP ROW, RAGGY...Shocked

L.L.

#lotto-4-a-living

Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40262 Posts
                        Posted: December 4, 2012, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Hello, the government works for we the people, not the other way around, we most certainly have a say so in how our tax dollars are spent, Your problem is you don't know your rights and it's people like you who have forfeited the rights of others.

Taxes are not charity, there's a difference.

The stinking government is not the boss of us, helloooooooo, do you get it!

Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40262 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2012, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

omg, you make my brain hurt, die for oil, that is the dumbest thing I ever heard, no we are not getting oil, The middle East is a powder keg, left unchecked we will easily see WW3'

The Islamic Extremists want us dead, no ifs ands or buts about it.

The leaders of those countries want nukes, All it's going to take is one nut ball to set off a nuke and you'll see a world wide chain reaction,

India hates Pakistan

North Korea hates South Korea

Iran Hates Isreal

China, Russia and the US, HAVE A TANGLED WEB OF SIDE TAKING, ALL IN THE NAME OF POWER, GREED, WEALTH AND CONTROL

Everyone is on the ride whether they like it or not.

United States
                            Member #125918
                            March 31, 2012
                            362 Posts
                            Posted: December 4, 2012, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Well if i won the lottery like that i would take all my winnings out of the USA into the Bank of Cayman islands and the bank of Bahamas.. That is after i pay all the winning taxes and i know one lottery winner did just that.. He put 3 million in the bank of Cayman and he is getting really good interest rates and etc.. Now cough cough he can't take more money from me and spread it around.. Well you folks need to be more concerned about your 401K and cough cough he is going after that next...

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: December 4, 2012, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I believe we're saying the same thing, buddy. The context in which you interpreted it may be wrong, though. I was basically confirming that there's no way around what the government deems as theirs...they will get it. The analogy of the homeless guy here is one that I used in another thread and makes perfect sense...I'm agreement with you on pretty much all this. Yes, the government wastes LOTS of money...and have been doing intensely so for a very long time now.

L.L.

It was directed at Sully16 L.L. that's why i included their comments with my comments.....but yeah me and you are on the same page brother...

Page 1 of 13