Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Honestly would you really care how much taxes you had to pay??

Topic closed. 189 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Lucky Loser.

Page 12 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
upstate NY
United States
Member #108791
March 31, 2011
549 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2012, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I guess that I would be remiss if I didn't also address the other inconsistent statement "die for oil" because even just thinking about it objectively it doesn't make much sense:

- Afghanistan does not have oil.  It does have the Taliban and Al-Queda, but it's hard to turn them into oil, though it's worth a shot (pun intended) to do so.

- Iraq does have oil but we didn't go there and siphon it here.  It remains (as it alway has) just a part of the worlwide output, and the increased usage by both China and India has sopped up a larger share each year.

- Gas prices in the US before 9/11 were below $1 as recently as 1999 and just slightly above $1 in 2001.  Hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

- Gas prices now are over $4 in CA and around $3.75 nationally.

If the "die for oil" statement had any merit at all, one would expect those numbers to be reversed, whereby we took gas prices from $4 to $1 but since that's not the case, the statement really looks weak.

Reasonable people can reasonably debate whether we should have gone into Iraq, but the simplistic "die for oil" argument should not be part of a reasoned debate.  As far as the original War on Terror, you'd have to be completely unhinged to suggest that we should have just done nothing to Al-Queda and the Taliban after 9/11.

Essentially, where the heck is the oil that you're talking about?  It's certainly not in our gas pumps.

"Die For Oil, Sucker" was a spoken word piece written by Jello Biafra, the lead singer of the Dead Kennedys, during the first Persian Gulf war.  It regained relevance when Dubya decided to follow in Daddy's footsteps and invade Iraq again.  It is largely that second Iraq boondoggle I was talking about, so I'll admit my reference was outdated.  However, you make a good point about gas prices not being where you think they'd be.  Despite our attempt at turning Iraq into a puppet of the US, we're still paying close to four bucks a gallon.  All that tells me is that so many good American soldiers died in vain.  What an incredibly sad reflection on the Bush presidency.

Speaking of Bush's failures, everybody knew Saddam didn't really have WMDs... except Iran.  This was beneficial to the rest of the world because a supposedly weaponized Iraq helped keep Iran at bay.  Bush, however, insisted upon being the Cowboy President and unwisely called Saddam's bluff.  Dismantling Iraq upset the tenuous balance in the Middle East and shifted Iran from being Iraq's problem to being OUR problem.  Gee, thanks.

And as for Afghanistan, we should have been out of there years ago.  We probably would have accomplished that if Bush hadn't lost focus and invaded Iraq instead.  Who knows, we might have actually captured/killed bin Laden under Bush's watch had we simply stayed the course!  The destabilization of Iraq was a huge boon to al-Qaeda and allowed it to flourish there AND in Afghanistan.  It took years and billions of dollars to clean up that mess, time and money that didn't have to be wasted.

Now that bin Laden is dead and we're set to pull out of Afghanistan in the foreseeable future, maybe we can finally stop throwing good money after bad.  To go back to the beginning of this post and quote Jello Biafra:  "We support the troops the most because we say, BRING THEM HOME!"

Patriot

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Wow, 12 pages of arguing over taxes? Are you kidding me? If I won 580 million, I would gladly fork over 70% if I had to, and still be richer than all of you put together. Green laugh

That's a no brainer! Idea

wonder how many pages congress and senate have ?

I agree w/ an earlier poster, think it was Whitebalz, lottery should not be taxed at all, it is a tax.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
      Gurnee, Illinois
      United States
      Member #49731
      February 12, 2007
      917 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

The other night Yahoo Finance had an article about the couple in Missouri that won the PB and if they had won after this fiscal cliff situation and it goes 'wrong', it would have cost them an addittinal $17.7M in taxes.

That's not exactly chump change.

I can't agree with you on this, B2B, since the U.S, taxes gambling winnings while a lot of countries don't. The UK, Canada, Australia, and others, whatever you win is yours. As it should be.

Just my $.02

I Agree!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8790 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I agree w/ an earlier poster, think it was Whitebalz, lottery should not be taxed at all, it is a tax.

Very true.

And losses incurred playing the lottery are not an itemized tax deduction until you are liable to file lottery winnings for taxation over a specified win amount.

And how many years do you have losses and how far back are losses allowed to go? I have seen big winner stories where they have been playing twenty years or better before the big win hits.

MAGA

United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Wow, 12 pages of arguing over taxes? Are you kidding me? If I won 580 million, I would gladly fork over 70% if I had to, and still be richer than all of you put together. Green laugh

That's a no brainer! Idea

Its taxed at the same rate as your paycheck, would you gladly fork that over ?

If yes I'll gladly accept the difference from what you're forking over from your paycheck now.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
            Gurnee, Illinois
            United States
            Member #49731
            February 12, 2007
            917 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

You want to "stop the insane spending"?  Let's start with breaking the habit of sending our young men and women overseas to die for oil, sucker.  We spend more on the military than we do on safety net programs, and it's not needed.  We already spend billions more than even the #2 nation on the list.

I'm all for cutting waste, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

So you are saying the US military is no longer neededWe you say we just disband our Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, and Coast Guard? Well, good luck when the terrorists, other nation militarists, and drug cartels come knocking on your back door. Good luck with those natural disasters and at sea rescues that are sure to happen. You obviously have no clue the world in which we live is a dangerous place...we have not achieved utopia yet and I have boot heard anyone singing Kumbayaa lately.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
              Member #128790
              June 2, 2012
              5431 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Of course I agree, it should be like Canada and Australia, tax free, unfortunately it's not, but what I'm saying is this. Let me ask you a question, it's a yes or no question. Would you turn down 580 million at a 70% tax rate? I highly doubt you'd say, "No thanks PB, I think it's too much taxes and the government is getting too much of my money already, so just give it to someone else" ?

I didn't think so. Green laugh

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Its taxed at the same rate as your paycheck, would you gladly fork that over ?

If yes I'll gladly accept the difference from what you're forking over from your paycheck now.

We're not talking about my paycheck. We're talking about 580 million dollars.

United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

We're not talking about my paycheck. We're talking about 580 million dollars.

It was a yes/no ?

I guess your answer is no.

United States
                    Member #128790
                    June 2, 2012
                    5431 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

It was a yes/no ?

I guess your answer is no.

Okay, let me rewrite the question. I don't see how you missed it the first time.

Yes or no. It's a simple question.

Would you turn down 580 million at a 70% tax rate?

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                      upstate NY
                      United States
                      Member #108791
                      March 31, 2011
                      549 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

So you are saying the US military is no longer neededWe you say we just disband our Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, and Coast Guard? Well, good luck when the terrorists, other nation militarists, and drug cartels come knocking on your back door. Good luck with those natural disasters and at sea rescues that are sure to happen. You obviously have no clue the world in which we live is a dangerous place...we have not achieved utopia yet and I have boot heard anyone singing Kumbayaa lately.

That's quite the twist of my words there.  I'd fill you in on what I actually said, but I have a feeling you would intentionally misunderstand it.

Patriot

United States
                        Member #128790
                        June 2, 2012
                        5431 Posts
                        Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Okay, let me rewrite the question. I don't see how you missed it the first time.

Yes or no. It's a simple question.

Would you turn down 580 million at a 70% tax rate?

All I hear is crickets, I thought so. ROFL

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

We don't have crickets this time of year, how else will I know. What?

United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3856 Posts
                            Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Crickets ? I was gone for 20 minutes,

mind if I look at other threads ?

as to your ?

at 70% I wont be playing so I guess its a moot point.

United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3856 Posts
                              Posted: December 5, 2012, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Of course I agree, it should be like Canada and Australia, tax free, unfortunately it's not, but what I'm saying is this. Let me ask you a question, it's a yes or no question. Would you turn down 580 million at a 70% tax rate? I highly doubt you'd say, "No thanks PB, I think it's too much taxes and the government is getting too much of my money already, so just give it to someone else" ?

I didn't think so. Green laugh

I agree about the bottom line but  at 70% I won't be playing.

now you may here crickets, time to watch the game.

Page 12 of 13