Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Honestly would you really care how much taxes you had to pay??

Topic closed. 189 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Lucky Loser.

Page 11 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
sully16's avatar - sharan
Ringleader
Michigan
United States
Member #81740
October 28, 2009
42075 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2012, 6:50 am - IP Logged

Stop with the Daddy Bush Vendetta, the found Saddam weapons couple months ago, wow, guess where, Syria.

I remember the first gulf war well, it started on my B-day, saddam invaded kuwait and we removed him, his elite fighters were surrendering to camera men.

HyperBe Happy.

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:25 am - IP Logged

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:31 am - IP Logged

Found you rdgrnr...you brownnoser you.........

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2012, 8:54 am - IP Logged

LoL..............I think we got off topic...just a bit...with the name calling and such...myself included...maybe in the future we need to stick to "LOTTERY TOPICS" that are posted and not the rhetoric that we fell into here.....If you feel you need to comment further on this with the name calling or the political points...do it in a private message, or maybe craigslist rant and rave is a better forum forthat...I don't know other than that where you could air your grievances.....maybe the Jerry Springer show???.......Is that even still on???

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          San Diego, CA
          United States
          Member #112369
          June 17, 2011
          187 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2012, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

You want to "stop the insane spending"?  Let's start with breaking the habit of sending our young men and women overseas to die for oil, sucker.  We spend more on the military than we do on safety net programs, and it's not needed.  We already spend billions more than even the #2 nation on the list.

I'm all for cutting waste, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

"We spend more on the military than we do on safety net programs" is completely untrue.

I think it's important for people to realize that not only is this statement not true, but also that it couldn't be further from the truth.

From the OMB (Office of Management and Budget) here are the percentages of government spending in some main categories:

Defense - 19%

Social Security - 20%

Medicare & Medicaid - 24%

Unemployment & Welfare - 16%

The combined 60% (20 + 24 + 16) for entitlement programs is a larger number than 19%, and it's not even close.  And the defense percentage is up from around 10% because, after all, we are still at war after having our civilian citizens attacked on 9/11.

Sometimes people throw "we spend more on the military than anything else" out there and it is so untrue that it is likely one of two things:

1) A statement made out of utter ignorance (please note that I said ignorance and not stupidity - an important distinction) of the facts.

2) An outright lie - if the person that said it is actually not ignorant of the facts.

The FACT is that we spend far more on entitlement programs (and always have) than we do on defense.

ashabug725's avatar - Yavill
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #122868
            February 9, 2012
            322 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2012, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

"We spend more on the military than we do on safety net programs" is completely untrue.

I think it's important for people to realize that not only is this statement not true, but also that it couldn't be further from the truth.

From the OMB (Office of Management and Budget) here are the percentages of government spending in some main categories:

Defense - 19%

Social Security - 20%

The combined 60% (20 + 24 + 16) for entitlement programs is a larger number than 19%, and it's not even close.  And the defense percentage is up from around 10% because, after all, we are still at war after having our civilian citizens attacked on 9/11.

Sometimes people throw "we spend more on the military than anything else" out there and it is so untrue that it is likely one of two things:

1) A statement made out of utter ignorance (please note that I said ignorance and not stupidity - an important distinction) of the facts.

2) An outright lie - if the person that said it is actually not ignorant of the facts.

The FACT is that we spend far more on entitlement programs (and always have) than we do on defense.

Thank u!!!!!!

I wish I may, I wish I might...
                       Win the Powerball jackpot THIS big night!!!

San Diego, CA
              United States
              Member #112369
              June 17, 2011
              187 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2012, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

You want to "stop the insane spending"?  Let's start with breaking the habit of sending our young men and women overseas to die for oil, sucker.  We spend more on the military than we do on safety net programs, and it's not needed.  We already spend billions more than even the #2 nation on the list.

I'm all for cutting waste, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I guess that I would be remiss if I didn't also address the other inconsistent statement "die for oil" because even just thinking about it objectively it doesn't make much sense:

- Afghanistan does not have oil.  It does have the Taliban and Al-Queda, but it's hard to turn them into oil, though it's worth a shot (pun intended) to do so.

- Iraq does have oil but we didn't go there and siphon it here.  It remains (as it alway has) just a part of the worlwide output, and the increased usage by both China and India has sopped up a larger share each year.

- Gas prices in the US before 9/11 were below $1 as recently as 1999 and just slightly above $1 in 2001.  Hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

- Gas prices now are over $4 in CA and around $3.75 nationally.

If the "die for oil" statement had any merit at all, one would expect those numbers to be reversed, whereby we took gas prices from $4 to $1 but since that's not the case, the statement really looks weak.

Reasonable people can reasonably debate whether we should have gone into Iraq, but the simplistic "die for oil" argument should not be part of a reasoned debate.  As far as the original War on Terror, you'd have to be completely unhinged to suggest that we should have just done nothing to Al-Queda and the Taliban after 9/11.

Essentially, where the heck is the oil that you're talking about?  It's certainly not in our gas pumps.

San Diego, CA
                United States
                Member #112369
                June 17, 2011
                187 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2012, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Thank u!!!!!!

You're very welcome.

That's one of those statements that gets said so much that a lot of people actually believe it even though it's obviously false.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10391 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2012, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the detailed info., Epistrophy.

Good to see you posting.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2012, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

I suspect b2b is a teenager because I'd bet that was meant to be read as U.S. soldiers, not us soldiers.

Some threads should just be shut down like they do in other forums.

Threads that produce more smoke than heat, so to speak, help nobody and polarize members.

United States
                      Member #130815
                      July 25, 2012
                      1636 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2012, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Some threads should just be shut down like they do in other forums.

Threads that produce more smoke than heat, so to speak, help nobody and polarize members.

Hmmm like "censorship" seriously keep all responses relevant to original post.....

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3857 Posts
                        Posted: December 5, 2012, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the detailed info., Epistrophy.

Good to see you posting.

Ditto,

Ephistrophy, where ya been ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                          upstate NY
                          United States
                          Member #108791
                          March 31, 2011
                          549 Posts
                          Posted: December 5, 2012, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Defense - 19%

Social Security - 20%

I had a feeling someone would go for the combined numbers approach.  It's a very convenient tactic, but Ridge was specifically referring to "welfare and food stamps" (his words), which is the 16% number.  Social Security is mostly NOT welfare, it's retirement and some disabled/death benefits.  Medicare/Medicaid is not all welfare, a large chunk of that is used by the aforementioned Social Security recipients and by people who don't qualify for employer-sponsored insurance.  Unless you think the elderly and the underemployed should just curl up and die?

None of that changes the fact that we spend far too much on the military.  And you know what the saddest part of that is?  The waste.  So much money is spent on ultra-expensive fighter jets and the like and yet they still can't afford to pay our rank-and-file soldiers a decent wage.

Patriot

United States
                            Member #128790
                            June 2, 2012
                            5431 Posts
                            Posted: December 5, 2012, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Wow, 12 pages of arguing over taxes? Are you kidding me? If I won 580 million, I would gladly fork over 70% if I had to, and still be richer than all of you put together. Green laugh

That's a no brainer! Idea

JAP69's avatar - alas
                              South Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #6
                              November 4, 2001
                              8797 Posts
                              Posted: December 5, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

I do not mind paying the taxes on a jackpot win.

Stuff like this is what irritates me.  "middle-class shadow welfare projects"

http://www.williamthomasthompson.com/journals/2012/November%2019,%202012.htm
                              excerpt:
                              The major defense contractors spend at least ten times, and probably closer to twenty times what is actually needed on every project and contract. This is done with the full knowledge and at the command of the federal government. The massive overspending is on man-hours. Major defense contractors such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumann, General Dynamics and Raytheon, in addition to supplying and developing technology for the military, are also massive middle-class shadow welfare projects.

Oo'Ka

Page 11 of 13