Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Christians against lottery and gambling

Topic closed. 506 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 34
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: January 13, 2013, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Has anyone else experienced this...it being sunday and all I am reminded of what my sister keeps saying...Playing the lottery is gambling and gambling is a sin...her church is big on not gambling and such...her pastor has said on more than one occassion that lottery winnings would not be apprieciated or accepted as tithe...which shocked the crap out of me LOL...now I've asked her point blank "So if i won you wouldn't want any of the money"? LOL I have yet to receive a straight answer from her on that...but has anyone else experienced this I mean I can't even mention the lottery around her without a chastising look....LOL it dosen't stop me by the way....

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3857 Posts
    Posted: January 13, 2013, 11:06 am - IP Logged

When I was a kid I went to catholic church and they sold something called a 50/50 ticket, basically a lottery ticket,

right outside after mass. It was type of thing that had 2 halves w/ matching #s

and the following week the priest would announce the winning #s at the end of mass.

The reason it's called 50/50 is the church keeps half the money.

No one ever said it was a sin.

Ohh.. nearly forgot the half of the ticket the church kept, had your name on it and when the priest called out the winning #s

he also announced your name, just like the lottery.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3316 Posts
      Posted: January 13, 2013, 11:40 am - IP Logged

i had some born again christians for relatives. They had all sorts of crazy ideas. my brother was indoctrinated pretty hard and he still cant help but make commetns on playing the lotto. although He does contribute monthly to the family pool I run. i guess he knows if it won and he  shirked it, i wopuld say, god doesnt want you having lotto winnings, so  you aint getting any. there is 5 of us. its only $10 a month each.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3159 Posts
        Posted: January 13, 2013, 11:52 am - IP Logged

Has anyone else experienced this...it being sunday and all I am reminded of what my sister keeps saying...Playing the lottery is gambling and gambling is a sin...her church is big on not gambling and such...her pastor has said on more than one occassion that lottery winnings would not be apprieciated or accepted as tithe...which shocked the crap out of me LOL...now I've asked her point blank "So if i won you wouldn't want any of the money"? LOL I have yet to receive a straight answer from her on that...but has anyone else experienced this I mean I can't even mention the lottery around her without a chastising look....LOL it dosen't stop me by the way....

Don't believe your sis. I doubt he said that.Our pastor would tell everyone the million came from the church bake sale.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23352 Posts
          Posted: January 13, 2013, 11:57 am - IP Logged

Gambling is NOT a sin, according to the Bible.  Calling gambling a sin is something that was twisted by some Christian sects, but it is not supported by anything from the Bible.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Jack-C's avatar - us
            San Diego, CA
            United States
            Member #61467
            May 24, 2008
            28146 Posts
            Posted: January 13, 2013, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Gambling is NOT a sin, according to the Bible.  Calling gambling a sin is something that was twisted by some Christian sects, but it is not supported by anything from the Bible.

I Agree!

Columbia, SC
              United States
              Member #135285
              November 21, 2012
              584 Posts
              Posted: January 13, 2013, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

When the lottery first came to South Carolina, I had a Christian friend who was very against it. Oh, she fussed and raised cain about the sin of gambling and the lottery, etc....Just so happened, a year later, I overheard her on the phone with her son, whose grades in college had apparantly started slipping...What was so funny is she was fussing to him about pulling his grades back up so he wouldn't lose his lottery scholarship! Ha!

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2680 Posts
                Posted: January 13, 2013, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Hiding Behind Computer98 % religious folk Rn't to be trusted

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5146 Posts
                  Posted: January 13, 2013, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

When the lottery first came to South Carolina, I had a Christian friend who was very against it. Oh, she fussed and raised cain about the sin of gambling and the lottery, etc....Just so happened, a year later, I overheard her on the phone with her son, whose grades in college had apparantly started slipping...What was so funny is she was fussing to him about pulling his grades back up so he wouldn't lose his lottery scholarship! Ha!

CC:

Psyko >>>>>>>>Agree with stupid w/UR stupid christian friend....................

Psyko wouldn't <<won't his R her lottery scholarship LO$$$$$$$!

DrumJack-in-the-BoxDrum

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: January 13, 2013, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

The only thing I can smell is your brain cells getting cooking by all the thinking you did to create a post.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: January 13, 2013, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

What is a lottery scholarship? Is that gambling?

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: January 13, 2013, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Todd................ It is the excesses that people CHOOSE to engage in that are sinful.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: January 13, 2013, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

When I was a kid I went to catholic church and they sold something called a 50/50 ticket, basically a lottery ticket,

right outside after mass. It was type of thing that had 2 halves w/ matching #s

and the following week the priest would announce the winning #s at the end of mass.

The reason it's called 50/50 is the church keeps half the money.

No one ever said it was a sin.

Ohh.. nearly forgot the half of the ticket the church kept, had your name on it and when the priest called out the winning #s

he also announced your name, just like the lottery.

The catholics love to gamble, smoke, and drink. I don't fault them for it...........

United States
                            Member #124493
                            March 14, 2012
                            7023 Posts
                            Posted: January 13, 2013, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Lions and tigers and twisted christian sects?  Oh my!!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: January 13, 2013, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Your whole story sounds like made-up BS to me.

You don't like Christians - who cares?

And how convenient you choose to berate the one that turns the other cheek instead of the one that saws your head off. How valiant!

Page 1 of 34