Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is everyone playing the lottery in hopes of being able to retire, what are your reasons for playing?

Topic closed. 104 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PoeticJustice32.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: February 26, 2013, 9:18 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just curious what the different reasons are for playing the lottery? I'm assuming most people are playing for financial security but have heard of some people who win the lottery who still work in their jobs. I realize it really depends on how much a person wins before they could consider retiring from their job. I've mentioned this before but I started playing over 3 years ago because I was hoping to win enough money to send my daughter to college. Now that isn't the only reason because having financial security would be great because I have a lot of physical and mental issues, so not having to worry about working till I drop dead would be a blessing.  Before I started playing regularly I would only play when the MM or PB was over a 100 million. I've since learned that any amount of money would be great to win. Also know that it would take a certain amount of money to be able to just never have to work again.  Even if someone doesn't win enough to retire winning a lottery can still make a difference in terms of being able to afford college for kids or being able to pay off a mortgage, travel etc.  Frankly for the people who say they are going to keep working at their jobs I can see a lot of resentment from co-workers who know you won, therefore making it hard to stay in their jobs (also by leaving your job it would create a job for someone who really needs it).  I'm sure most of you are thinking it's obvious why you play the lottery but some people might have different reasons for playing.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40513 Posts
    Posted: February 26, 2013, 9:25 am - IP Logged

I play Mostly 3 digit, not going to retire on that, but if I put some extra spending dollars in my pocket, I am happy. I started my retirement fund when I was in my 20's.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2013, 9:57 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just curious what the different reasons are for playing the lottery? I'm assuming most people are playing for financial security but have heard of some people who win the lottery who still work in their jobs. I realize it really depends on how much a person wins before they could consider retiring from their job. I've mentioned this before but I started playing over 3 years ago because I was hoping to win enough money to send my daughter to college. Now that isn't the only reason because having financial security would be great because I have a lot of physical and mental issues, so not having to worry about working till I drop dead would be a blessing.  Before I started playing regularly I would only play when the MM or PB was over a 100 million. I've since learned that any amount of money would be great to win. Also know that it would take a certain amount of money to be able to just never have to work again.  Even if someone doesn't win enough to retire winning a lottery can still make a difference in terms of being able to afford college for kids or being able to pay off a mortgage, travel etc.  Frankly for the people who say they are going to keep working at their jobs I can see a lot of resentment from co-workers who know you won, therefore making it hard to stay in their jobs (also by leaving your job it would create a job for someone who really needs it).  I'm sure most of you are thinking it's obvious why you play the lottery but some people might have different reasons for playing.

Financial security definately.....but some who don't quit their jobs just may really like they fact they have somewhere to go and really enjoy what they do...and alot of time just because you quit doesnt open that job up for someone else....sometimes after you leave they just eliminate the position altogether...

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
        Columbus, Ohio
        United States
        Member #128906
        June 5, 2012
        591 Posts
        Posted: February 26, 2013, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Playing to get ahead, pay off debts and to have the ability to have all the "toys" I want

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: February 26, 2013, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Financial security definately.....but some who don't quit their jobs just may really like they fact they have somewhere to go and really enjoy what they do...and alot of time just because you quit doesnt open that job up for someone else....sometimes after you leave they just eliminate the position altogether...

I Agree! Position elimination is kind of trendy these days.Yes Nod

United States
            Member #137428
            January 3, 2013
            469 Posts
            Posted: February 26, 2013, 10:04 am - IP Logged

I play pick 4. To pay my bills.... Goal is 3 box hits a week weather retail or online....small goals equal big resultsSurrender

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: February 26, 2013, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I play pick 4. To pay my bills.... Goal is 3 box hits a week weather retail or online....small goals equal big resultsSurrender

I like very big goals, and small results. Keeps me coming back for more. LOL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: February 26, 2013, 10:40 am - IP Logged

People play for the same reason people played 'policy' for 5 cents when that's all there was, it's the working slobs only real chance to get a little extra - or a lot extra in jackpot games!

That's for the most part, for the 'idle rich' it's just a form of entertainment and money is their way of keeping score.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: February 26, 2013, 10:46 am - IP Logged

People play for the same reason people played 'policy' for 5 cents when that's all there was, it's the working slobs only real chance to get a little extra - or a lot extra in jackpot games!

That's for the most part, for the 'idle rich' it's just a form of entertainment and money is their way of keeping score.

I Agree! Except the rich are more likely to to idol than "idle".

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: February 26, 2013, 11:07 am - IP Logged

im not a ruthless enough jerk to get ahead the traditional way. i came up with  a plan to buy the min entry in every draw my town plays.  and ive been doing it for over a decade now.  some games only have 1 mill as  prize, some jackpot to $50+ mill.    anything would be good. id retire on $1 mill, and  have to watch my  budget, or anything more id have play money.  i figured whatas the chance that the time i actially play my numbers when the pots high  are the ones they come up? they could come up any draw,. and ea draw i am in is that slim chance thats better than zero that i have.  add a life time of those slim chances, and i have a    better slim chance than if i dream about it, but dont actually buy a ticket. plus now i run 2 pools, and dont even buy the tickets for myself. they spread the cost  so im paying less.   sure 1 mill 5 ways would suck, but then  0$ mill 5 ways sucks more.

its a dream for me, and hope where i dont see  getting all the luxuries in life as even a posibility.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19859 Posts
                      Posted: February 26, 2013, 11:32 am - IP Logged

for entertainment purposes onlySmiley

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2013, 11:34 am - IP Logged

for entertainment purposes onlySmiley

I Agree! Life is fun.LOL

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19859 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2013, 11:37 am - IP Logged

I Agree! Life is fun.LOL

See Ya!  Party

Let it Snow Snowman

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19829 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2013, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I'm already retired, I play because I can and it's entertaining. 

Winning a jackpot would be icing on the cake.Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2013, 11:39 am - IP Logged

See Ya!  Party

See Ya!Green laugh