Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is everyone playing the lottery in hopes of being able to retire, what are your reasons for playing?

Topic closed. 104 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PoeticJustice32.

Page 7 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Turkey

Argue

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19843 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Argue

Dunk

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

Scaredwere you come from

"were you come from"

I come from the town of were, where do you come from. What?    Jester

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Dunk

She tried to cool him off, but he stayed red hot no matter how many buckets she poured.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2013, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I'm playing to win enough to finally pay off all my ex-wives houses.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
            Nova Scotia
            Canada
            Member #9934
            December 27, 2004
            884 Posts
            Posted: March 16, 2013, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

shyguitar;

where in the United States do you reside- what state? You mentioned that you have had  bad jobs, like I've had.. Hope we find better work, and have lottery wins to  improve our lives..

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
              Joplin MO
              United States
              Member #138489
              January 28, 2013
              190 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2013, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Retirement is one of the reasons, assisting family is probably 2nd on the list but what I really want to do is put enough money aside to start a non profit angel org that goes around the USA and helps people who suffered great tragedies that don't get national news. To show up at their residence and give them a check for hospital bills, pay a years mortgage/food, go towards an operation, maybe rehab.... just the poor - average citizen/family who needs the extra boost. When I am on vacation and I see some of the little town stores that try to help by putting out a donation jar to assist a needy child/family. That's when I wish I had the finances to go up and hand them a check to solve their financial burden or lighten the load some.... I think this size jackpot would do just fiiiine to accommodate my dream in starting that organization.

That is awesome!!!  I hope you win the BIG ONE soon!!!

Bronx, NY
                United States
                Member #124198
                March 8, 2012
                105 Posts
                Posted: March 17, 2013, 8:24 am - IP Logged

I want to win the lottery so I'd have piece of mind not ever having to worry about bills or debt or whatever. Id also like to provide for my family and make sure my nieces and nephews college funds are taken care of.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: March 17, 2013, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

shyguitar;

where in the United States do you reside- what state? You mentioned that you have had  bad jobs, like I've had.. Hope we find better work, and have lottery wins to  improve our lives..

Hi Elizabth03,

I reside in Massachusetts. It's great that you live in the beautiful Country of Canada where you have Universal Health Care (unlike our country, but that's a whole other story, lol). If you win the lottery, which I hope you do, your lottery winnings are tax free not like here where we are taxed on lottery winnings. Don't get me wrong I will gladly pay my taxes on any lottery winnings but if you win a million dollars in the lottery in Canada you get to keep that amount and here if someone wins a million on a scratch ticket we don't even start off by getting one million if you take the lump sum, and then you have to pay both federal and state taxes on your winnings. When I'm having a bad day at work (which seems to be daily, lol) and people are cursing me out over the phone (heck I'm just trying to do my job) that's when my mind drifts to winning the lottery and never having to do phone work again.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: March 17, 2013, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Retirement is one of the reasons, assisting family is probably 2nd on the list but what I really want to do is put enough money aside to start a non profit angel org that goes around the USA and helps people who suffered great tragedies that don't get national news. To show up at their residence and give them a check for hospital bills, pay a years mortgage/food, go towards an operation, maybe rehab.... just the poor - average citizen/family who needs the extra boost. When I am on vacation and I see some of the little town stores that try to help by putting out a donation jar to assist a needy child/family. That's when I wish I had the finances to go up and hand them a check to solve their financial burden or lighten the load some.... I think this size jackpot would do just fiiiine to accommodate my dream in starting that organization.

Hi CDanaT,

I really hope you win and get to start that non profit angel organization you spoke of. That's one of the great things about a lottery win, it allows you to help people in need.  We both like the retirement reason as well. Good luck to you on the way to your winning the big one!

United States
                      Member #122468
                      February 1, 2012
                      530 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2013, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Hi PoeticJustice32,

We both agree that having piece of mind over no more worries about bills or debt would be great with a lottery win. It's great that you want to provide for your family and make sure your nieces and nephews have money for college. Your family is fortunate to have you. Good luck to you winning.

Nova Scotia
                        Canada
                        Member #9934
                        December 27, 2004
                        884 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2013, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Hello shyguitar, by your name, do you like guitar's?

Also, I know that the lotteries in the United States are taxed and people do not receive the full amount of their winnings; that is very sad;

In Canada, even though the lottery is not taxed, some people if they win alot of money, are not the smartest people ,and waste the money on buying thing's they don't really need.. Or giving it to family member's or other people that don't deserve the money'

Instead of holding onto a good portion of the money, and spending it wisely..

I would be careful with it, and wouldn't want to give it to relatives that don't deserve it.. I am adopted, so luckily, not close to the people!

Because I want the money to last a long time, so that I can live comfortably'..

Hope that you win alot of money- and can quit your bad telephone job, and get away from the stress..

United States
                          Member #122468
                          February 1, 2012
                          530 Posts
                          Posted: March 17, 2013, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Hello shyguitar, by your name, do you like guitar's?

Also, I know that the lotteries in the United States are taxed and people do not receive the full amount of their winnings; that is very sad;

In Canada, even though the lottery is not taxed, some people if they win alot of money, are not the smartest people ,and waste the money on buying thing's they don't really need.. Or giving it to family member's or other people that don't deserve the money'

Instead of holding onto a good portion of the money, and spending it wisely..

I would be careful with it, and wouldn't want to give it to relatives that don't deserve it.. I am adopted, so luckily, not close to the people!

Because I want the money to last a long time, so that I can live comfortably'..

Hope that you win alot of money- and can quit your bad telephone job, and get away from the stress..

Hi Elizabeth03,

You are right about some people not being wise with their lottery winnings. Like yourself, if I ever win the big one I want it to last as long as possible.  I do like guitars especially acoustic guitars, I play the guitar but not very well. If I ever win the lottery would invest in guitar lessons, lol. As I mentioned before it would be nice if we both win enough so we no longer have to work in our low paying jobs.

Nova Scotia
                            Canada
                            Member #9934
                            December 27, 2004
                            884 Posts
                            Posted: March 18, 2013, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Hello shyguitar;

I like guitars as well, don't play them- tried years ago, want to learn;

I am feeling discouraged over the lottery and employment, hope to get out of that emotional state..

I am praying that we win enough money to help us get in the directions that we need to go..

Bronx, NY
                              United States
                              Member #124198
                              March 8, 2012
                              105 Posts
                              Posted: March 19, 2013, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Hi PoeticJustice32,

We both agree that having piece of mind over no more worries about bills or debt would be great with a lottery win. It's great that you want to provide for your family and make sure your nieces and nephews have money for college. Your family is fortunate to have you. Good luck to you winning.

Hi shyguitar.  Thanks for the kind words.  Good luck to you as well.