Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 10:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is everyone playing the lottery in hopes of being able to retire, what are your reasons for playing?

Topic closed. 104 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PoeticJustice32.

Page 6 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Texas
United States
Member #55889
October 23, 2007
5770 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2013, 9:30 am - IP Logged

My main reason for playing is because I want to win enough to hopefully live the rest of my life with financial freedom. I'd love to pay off all my bills and feel secure..I think feeling SECURE is the main word here.. There are things I've never done in life that i'd like to do..I'd like to do some traveling and even go to Disney Land. I've never been there...haven't really done much of anything really....

I'd like to pay off my children's college tuitions and hopefully win enough to set them aside a nice little nest egg. I can't imagine how tough life is going to be for them when they are older...It would be nice to mentally know they can have some security.....

I'd like to make enough to be able to afford a decent insurance plan. The one I'm paying crazy monthly fees really wouldn't help me out much if something major really happened, but right now, I can't afford a better policy....

I'd help out some family members and some others in need ....I guess it's all really according to how much I win. <smile>

Right on CinCin. Financial security.

Whenever I have a few thousand in the bank, I feel much more secure. If I could be out of debt, even if I still had to work, I wouldn't care how much furniture I sold. I wouldn't have to sell "x" amount to make ends meet.

I really wouldn't mind hitting millions so I wouldn't ever have to sell another stick of furniture again.

Ahhhhh. Dream, dream, dream.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1409 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2013, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I've got a pretty good retirement plan.

A jar full of pennies and a lottery ticket good for four more drawings.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
     - George Orwell

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: March 16, 2013, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just curious what the different reasons are for playing the lottery? I'm assuming most people are playing for financial security but have heard of some people who win the lottery who still work in their jobs. I realize it really depends on how much a person wins before they could consider retiring from their job. I've mentioned this before but I started playing over 3 years ago because I was hoping to win enough money to send my daughter to college. Now that isn't the only reason because having financial security would be great because I have a lot of physical and mental issues, so not having to worry about working till I drop dead would be a blessing.  Before I started playing regularly I would only play when the MM or PB was over a 100 million. I've since learned that any amount of money would be great to win. Also know that it would take a certain amount of money to be able to just never have to work again.  Even if someone doesn't win enough to retire winning a lottery can still make a difference in terms of being able to afford college for kids or being able to pay off a mortgage, travel etc.  Frankly for the people who say they are going to keep working at their jobs I can see a lot of resentment from co-workers who know you won, therefore making it hard to stay in their jobs (also by leaving your job it would create a job for someone who really needs it).  I'm sure most of you are thinking it's obvious why you play the lottery but some people might have different reasons for playing.

Retirement is one of the reasons, assisting family is probably 2nd on the list but what I really want to do is put enough money aside to start a non profit angel org that goes around the USA and helps people who suffered great tragedies that don't get national news. To show up at their residence and give them a check for hospital bills, pay a years mortgage/food, go towards an operation, maybe rehab.... just the poor - average citizen/family who needs the extra boost. When I am on vacation and I see some of the little town stores that try to help by putting out a donation jar to assist a needy child/family. That's when I wish I had the finances to go up and hand them a check to solve their financial burden or lighten the load some.... I think this size jackpot would do just fiiiine to accommodate my dream in starting that organization.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4987 Posts
        Posted: March 16, 2013, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I am playing to buy a small but elegant apartment in Paris. It will have a balcony with a  view of the La Tour Eiffel and I will eat crepes with orange marmalade every morning on my balcony.

J'aime La France.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4146 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2013, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just curious what the different reasons are for playing the lottery? I'm assuming most people are playing for financial security but have heard of some people who win the lottery who still work in their jobs. I realize it really depends on how much a person wins before they could consider retiring from their job. I've mentioned this before but I started playing over 3 years ago because I was hoping to win enough money to send my daughter to college. Now that isn't the only reason because having financial security would be great because I have a lot of physical and mental issues, so not having to worry about working till I drop dead would be a blessing.  Before I started playing regularly I would only play when the MM or PB was over a 100 million. I've since learned that any amount of money would be great to win. Also know that it would take a certain amount of money to be able to just never have to work again.  Even if someone doesn't win enough to retire winning a lottery can still make a difference in terms of being able to afford college for kids or being able to pay off a mortgage, travel etc.  Frankly for the people who say they are going to keep working at their jobs I can see a lot of resentment from co-workers who know you won, therefore making it hard to stay in their jobs (also by leaving your job it would create a job for someone who really needs it).  I'm sure most of you are thinking it's obvious why you play the lottery but some people might have different reasons for playing.

Playing for fun with winning in mind, otherwise F O R G E T it.Party

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
            New Hampshire
            United States
            Member #136492
            December 12, 2012
            326 Posts
            Posted: March 16, 2013, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

Playing for fun and enjoyment, but if I ever hit the jackpot it's sudden retirement for this shark!

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2013, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

I am playing to piss off my ex.   Embarassed

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19967 Posts
                Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

I am playing to piss off my ex.   Embarassed

I Bet she feels like she already Hit the Jackpot LOL

Patriot

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4987 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

omg! LOL lol

J'aime La France.

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19967 Posts
                      Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

omg! LOL lol

oh my i think y'all took that wrong Green laugh

Patriot

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  She did!    Jester Laugh  Lep

u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19967 Posts
                          Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Turkey

Patriot

u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19967 Posts
                            Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  She did!    Jester Laugh  Lep

Scaredwere you come from

Patriot

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Scaredwere you come from

He is from the nether part of Alfa Centauri.