Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you tip the Store Clerk if you won big ?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 4 years ago by maringoman.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
CHERRY HILL, NJ
United States
Member #130213
July 9, 2012
387 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2013, 8:10 am - IP Logged

Recently someone won $8K from the store I frequent and the guy tipped $300 to the store clerk who since become a friend. I know others like the guy who won on 100 str8 Pick3 tickets and didn't tip a dime to the guys.

Would you tip if you won big ?

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
    New Hampshire
    United States
    Member #136492
    December 12, 2012
    322 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2013, 8:23 am - IP Logged

Recently someone won $8K from the store I frequent and the guy tipped $300 to the store clerk who since become a friend. I know others like the guy who won on 100 str8 Pick3 tickets and didn't tip a dime to the guys.

I say it depends. I frequent the same store to buy my lottery tickets and have gotten to know the 3 clerks there so if I won ya I would tip them because I like them. If it was anywhere else where I didn't know the clerk I would say no simply because I always go self pick so the clerk has nothing to do with me winning or not. If I was a quick pick player I would likely tip them out of gratitude even though they obviously have no influence over which numbers the computer randomly selects. Sounds like I'm contradicting myself but those are my opinions on the matter.

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2013, 8:23 am - IP Logged

Depends on the clerk.

If he's grumpy, rude and is more concerned with eating his Doritos chips behind the counter, than waiting on his customers, no tip.  Razz

Any clerk squawking away on the cell phone, no tip.  Cussing Face

Any clerk picking their nose, no tip.  Troll

Columbia, SC
        United States
        Member #135285
        November 21, 2012
        584 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2013, 9:12 am - IP Logged

I would tip the clerk if I won with a quick pic...even though the machine chose the numbers...but the size of the tip would depend on how much I won.....If I am choosing my numbers and I win big, I'm sure I still would if it was a clerk that I liked.......

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Depends on the clerk.

If he's grumpy, rude and is more concerned with eating his Doritos chips behind the counter, than waiting on his customers, no tip.  Razz

Any clerk squawking away on the cell phone, no tip.  Cussing Face

Any clerk picking their nose, no tip.  Troll

If I won big and they sold me the ticket.....yeah regardless of their behavior....unless they of course killed someone in the slushie machine

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
            NYC
            United States
            Member #117984
            October 19, 2011
            1843 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2013, 10:19 am - IP Logged

No. I've seen around when someone wins a huge jackpot, the store gets a commission. That's enough for them. :)

Anyways, in New York... Bronx retailers are 99.9% grumpy. Manhattan folks are nice.. Queens folks are the best... They make conversation and don't mind punching in a lot of numbers in the machine. Still wouldn't get a tip though lol.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19825 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2013, 10:38 am - IP Logged

No, clerks and stores aren't authorized to pay out big sums of money. 

Last week when I matched 5of6 for $1500 in Ohio's Classic Lotto, the store manager was very helpful with me filling out the claim form which I had to take to a bank in another town 10 miles away where I paid a $10 fee for its services.

I wasn't going travel back to the store to give the clerk and store manager a tip.  They'll just have to wait until I win a jackpot for a nice commission from the state for selling me that ticket.

Besides, I had already spent over $400 on lottery tickets this year at that store and they get a 5% commission on lottery ticket sales.  Winning a nice prize doesn't always means you've won more than you've spent so why would a winner put himself further into a hole by tipping everybody?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2013, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I tip everybody for everything, from the mailman to the guy who puts new tires on my truck.

It irks me though when a clerk tells me to remember them if I win big. Makes me think they're the kind of people I can't stand - cheapskates.

So I probably won't tip the ones who do that.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19825 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2013, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I tip everybody for everything, from the mailman to the guy who puts new tires on my truck.

It irks me though when a clerk tells me to remember them if I win big. Makes me think they're the kind of people I can't stand - cheapskates.

So I probably won't tip the ones who do that.

I just paid $850 for a set of tires for my Chevy and I could have spent more, that was tip enough.  I'm going have to drive it another 10 years to get my money worth out of them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6290 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2013, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Yes it was a nice size jackpot.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: March 7, 2013, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Only tip i have for my clerks, would be

" maybe if you whernt such rude jerks all the time you would be getting a cash tip,  not this bit of advice "

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                        New Hampshire
                        United States
                        Member #136492
                        December 12, 2012
                        322 Posts
                        Posted: March 7, 2013, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Only tip i have for my clerks, would be

" maybe if you whernt such rude jerks all the time you would be getting a cash tip,  not this bit of advice "

I'm with you on this one mate. Those are the kind of clerks I would tell to kiss me down under where the sun don't shine!

Yes Nod

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: March 7, 2013, 11:53 am - IP Logged

I just paid $850 for a set of tires for my Chevy and I could have spent more, that was tip enough.  I'm going have to drive it another 10 years to get my money worth out of them.

I paid $900 plus tax for a set of Michelins and I gave the two guys puttin' 'em on a sawbuck each.

They appreciate it and it makes me feel good doin' it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                            Nutley, New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #131058
                            August 1, 2012
                            875 Posts
                            Posted: March 7, 2013, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

no and if I was ever required to tip the clerk, then I would buy less tickets and when I did buy tickets, I'd use the self serve machine.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #130213
                              July 9, 2012
                              387 Posts
                              Posted: March 7, 2013, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

I won change, $47.50, today and tipped nothing. But I guess I would if I won BIG. Dance