Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:07 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you tip the Store Clerk if you won big ?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 4 years ago by maringoman.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10392 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2013, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Looks like we have more stiffs than Georges replying.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
    Columbus, Ohio
    United States
    Member #128906
    June 5, 2012
    599 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2013, 6:27 am - IP Logged

LOLI Agree!

If the clerk is eating Doritos no tip.

However if is funyuns, then i might consider it (heavily dependent upon whether its a .25 cent bag or a 1.00 bag)

And if the clerk is eating Dominos Pizza, then its mandatory to tip.

And if the clerk happens to be eating rib steak or lobster, then he deserves the prize money instead of myself.

P.S.

Its also ok to tip if after the guy picks his nose, he eats it.  Otherwise no tip!Mad

Funny post

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2013, 12:43 am - IP Logged

It depends on the clerk.

There are some that I see often and who are always friendly. Others I see often and are grumpy and then a few that I see once or twice. The first kind is the one who would end up getting a tip.

How much can't be said until I see the amount I won and I know exactly what person sold me the ticket.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7344 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2013, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

I agree. Tipping should be outlawed. Whatever job you have, you should do it to the best of your ability. Don't expect a tip only a thank you. It's getting to a point where tipping is mandatory and it has to be 10-20%. It really sucks to be in the service sector where tipping is the only way you can make ends meet. When I lose, I don't expect them to give me a tip for losing so why should they expect a tip when I win. I picked the numbers! Now, if they were to give me a number tip and it falls, of course the only fair thing to do is to give them something as a thank you. Still, you have to be careful who you tip.

We have something to compare to in the service sector where the size of the tip might depend on if the service is poor, average, or superior. Purchasing lottery tickets could be measured the same when the wagers are somewhat complicated. I don't see any reason to tip the clerk that happens to be there when cashing a winning ticket for the same reason I don't tip a bank teller for cashing my check. 

I would make an effort to tip a clerk who was helpful and friendly when I purchased the ticket; especially the clerks with PEF.

Bronx, NY
          United States
          Member #124198
          March 8, 2012
          105 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2013, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

I would tip.  Only because 95% of the time I purchase my tickets from the same vendors.  About 3 or 4 different ones.  But they are all friendly so yes I would tip the person that sold me the lucky ticket.   I would tip about 1% of whatever I won...So if I won 20 million I would tip $20,000.

ft pierce,fla
            United States
            Member #30785
            January 21, 2006
            2093 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2013, 11:17 am - IP Logged

I always tip when i have a hit of 100.00 or more, usually a quickpick cash 3 ticket or when i have a big hit and they will cash out multiple tickets.
            The most I ever tipped was 500.00 when I hit 5 of 6 on the lottery a few years back.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2013, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I always tip when i have a hit of 100.00 or more, usually a quickpick cash 3 ticket or when i have a big hit and they will cash out multiple tickets.
              The most I ever tipped was 500.00 when I hit 5 of 6 on the lottery a few years back.

How exactly does a clerk earn a tip? I mean really...... Did he pick his nose and eat in front of you?

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: March 11, 2013, 11:55 am - IP Logged

I tip no matter what amount I win.  Big Smile

Last time I scored $100, I gave the illustrious clerk a $75 tip; after all, how else can they survive on minimum wages. What?

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I would tip.  Only because 95% of the time I purchase my tickets from the same vendors.  About 3 or 4 different ones.  But they are all friendly so yes I would tip the person that sold me the lucky ticket.   I would tip about 1% of whatever I won...So if I won 20 million I would tip $20,000.

You could split that $20k 10 ways and give 10 friendly LP members $2k each?

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I tip no matter what amount I win.  Big Smile

Last time I scored $100, I gave the illustrious clerk a $75 tip; after all, how else can they survive on minimum wages. What?

Anyone making minimum wage should be required to live at the YMCA, so they dont need tips.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19964 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Anyone making minimum wage should be required to live at the YMCA, so they dont need tips.

Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

Yes Nod

Miami, Florida
                          United States
                          Member #111795
                          June 2, 2011
                          581 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2013, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

I always tip when I hit $500 on a scratch off. I tip the clerk $20 for cashing me out. (Usually it's the same Publix store by my house. I go there because the clerks let me keep my winning tickets. I have a collection of about 15 winners where I won $500.) Anyway, I tip when I hit $500....the tip goes to the clerk who cashes me out. If I ever hit a bigger prize, I'll tip the clerk who sold it to me--and I'll tip more. Here in Florida, anything over $599 is claimed through a lottery retail office. I won't tip them, ha!!!

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: March 11, 2013, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

I always tip when I hit $500 on a scratch off. I tip the clerk $20 for cashing me out. (Usually it's the same Publix store by my house. I go there because the clerks let me keep my winning tickets. I have a collection of about 15 winners where I won $500.) Anyway, I tip when I hit $500....the tip goes to the clerk who cashes me out. If I ever hit a bigger prize, I'll tip the clerk who sold it to me--and I'll tip more. Here in Florida, anything over $599 is claimed through a lottery retail office. I won't tip them, ha!!!

If you have 15 $500 winners Im worried that the money you spent on tickets could fill a shopping cart?

ft pierce,fla
                              United States
                              Member #30785
                              January 21, 2006
                              2093 Posts
                              Posted: March 11, 2013, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

I guess i forgot to mention she reminded me to play a "grouper" that day, (the tic paid out over 10,000.00 on a quickpick) if she did not tell me I would not have won....plus a lil kindness and sharing always goes a looooong way in life!