Longest jackpot run ever for Florida Lotto

Aug 10, 2013, 1:16 pm (50 comments)

Florida Lottery

Tonight's jackpot is $50 million

Yes, you haven't won the Florida Lotto this time around, but here's the silver lining: Everyone else has been throwing away losing tickets, too.

The Florida Lotto has gone 31 straight drawings without anyone picking the correct six numbers, and that's the longest drought since the game began 25 years ago.

No one has hit since April 20.

It didn't help that the numbers drawn Wednesday night were 29-33-46-48-49-53. Anything above 31 is picked less often because so many players choose numbers based on birthdays, anniversaries and other significant dates.

"Think about it: If you are asked to provide an important number, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Your kids' and spouse's ages, your birthday, your anniversary, your graduation date," said Todd Northrop, founder LotteryPost.com. "It's only natural people will gravitate to these numbers when forced to quickly come up with numbers to play, or when they decide on what are the most lucky numbers in their lives."

Those three-plus months of rollovers have bumped the jackpot up to $50 million for Saturday night's drawing. That's far from the state record of $106.5 million in 1990. But that was before the national Powerball came to Florida in 2009 and Mega Millons started this year, offering more ways for Floridians to ante up.

Sun-Sentinel

Comments

RJOh's avatarRJOh

With PB and MM starting over, serious lottery players will start looking at local lottery jackpots with similar size jackpots and lots better odds.  Florida is not the only state with a jackpot of $40M+ and better odds, Ohio has a $42.9M jackpot with odds of 1:14M.

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

I have been chasing this jackpot from the beginning and I almost had it last Saturday when I match 5/6 numbers.

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/264497

CowboysFan's avatarCowboysFan

RJOH, hasn't it been well over a year since someone won Classic Lotto?

LottoBoner

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Aug 10, 2013

I have been chasing this jackpot from the beginning and I almost had it last Saturday when I match 5/6 numbers.

If you must play now.  You might consider nixing the quickpicks now (what are the odds of hitting with quickpicks twice in one month?)   and maybe You should reinvest those winning you got, into 2  $50 dollar wheels.

OR  

Four  $25 dollar wheels

OR  

Three  $33 dollar wheels.

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Interesting, ...didn't know it was that long.....

Its $50 Million, not 49.

Todd's avatarTodd

I fixed the article.  It was $49 million, they must have adjusted it.

miracleplay5's avatarmiracleplay5

Quote: Originally posted by BuyLow on Aug 10, 2013

Interesting, ...didn't know it was that long.....

Its $50 Million, not 49.

It's been $50 million since yesterday I think. No winner since April, geesh that's a long time well I say keep rolling rolling rolling.ROFLHow can it be the longest jackpot run but not the highest jackpot?Is it because they increased the odds when they brought in the xtra play?The largest florida jack pot was $52 million back on April 17, 2010 one single ticket won that jackpot..I'm thinking tonight there will be at least 5 Jackpot winnersHyper

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by CowboysFan on Aug 10, 2013

RJOH, hasn't it been well over a year since someone won Classic Lotto?

Yes it has been and the funny thing is a little before that it had gone almost two years without a hit to roll up to $50M+ then had a couple of more hits in the following two weeks. 

It had to be disappointing to the second winner if he had chased it all that time while it build up to $50M+ only to hit the next drawings for only $1M/$500K cash.  Still he won more than I ever had.

peppy007

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 10, 2013

With PB and MM starting over, serious lottery players will start looking at local lottery jackpots with similar size jackpots and lots better odds.  Florida is not the only state with a jackpot of $40M+ and better odds, Ohio has a $42.9M jackpot with odds of 1:14M.

Exactly. I always tell my coworkers that when u have similar jackpots to always play the game that has the best odds of hitting that jackpot.

Thegreenpirate

The Ohio Classic lottery has not been hit in years!! I think its 3 years since someone has won. They need to give it to me tonight!!!Hyper

peppy007

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Aug 10, 2013

Congratulations. Even $20, 000 would have me going crazy as if it were powerball since most I've ever won was $150 bux lol

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Megamillions will have the same headline next year.

Anfang71

I woul love to win this!

My brother in Florida got some QP's for the draw

redhot7's avatarredhot7

The jackpot is now 51 millions. How much would the winner get if he chooses the lump sum before taxes?

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on Aug 11, 2013

The jackpot is now 51 millions. How much would the winner get if he chooses the lump sum before taxes?

$52,000,000.00 Cash Option $29,244,436.00 1

That was what the person got back in April 2010 when the jackpot was $52million it was one winner and they took the cash.

fortran's avatarfortran

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on Aug 11, 2013

Hi redhot7,

Just came over from the Florida Cash3 forum.

General rule of thumb Lump sum after taxes is JP/3 = 51/3 = 17 mil

4tran

noise-gate

Its ironic that this jackpot has not been won by Floridians in awhile- yet they bagging the Big One and claiming 2nd prizes from PB & MM..
The plot thickens.

* No winner for a State Lottery in over a year?  That's got to be a damper. How many folk would invoke the " Fox & the Grapes" story for that lottery game? Anyone's guess!

Anfang71

$25,500,000 is the cash option for the FL Lotto minus taxes, which in FL I believe the full tax (federal only) is 39.6%

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Quote: Originally posted by Anfang71 on Aug 11, 2013

$25,500,000 is the cash option for the FL Lotto minus taxes, which in FL I believe the full tax (federal only) is 39.6%

That is correct, there is no state taxes.

On another note. wierd how from last Wednesday draw it was bumped up 3 million, but now they only bumping it 1 million.

Quote: Originally posted by miracleplay5 on Aug 10, 2013

It's been $50 million since yesterday I think. No winner since April, geesh that's a long time well I say keep rolling rolling rolling.ROFLHow can it be the longest jackpot run but not the highest jackpot?Is it because they increased the odds when they brought in the xtra play?The largest florida jack pot was $52 million back on April 17, 2010 one single ticket won that jackpot..I'm thinking tonight there will be at least 5 Jackpot winnersHyper

Actually the highest JP was in 1990 when it was $106.5 million, and 6 people won that one! I cant post a link, but its on Florida lottery timeline.

Gleno's avatarGleno

Todd,

Has lottery post tracked big jackpots that were quick picks vs selected numbers?

Suspect that more winners used the quick pick method.

GlenoUS Flag

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Aug 11, 2013

Todd,

Has lottery post tracked big jackpots that were quick picks vs selected numbers?

Suspect that more winners used the quick pick method.

GlenoUS Flag

No, Lottery Post does not track this because it would be a full-time job tracking that info down for every winner.

A common industry number is that around 70% of winners used a quick pick, which corresponds to the approximately 70% of tickets that are sold as quick picks.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by miracleplay5 on Aug 11, 2013

$52,000,000.00 Cash Option $29,244,436.00 1

That was what the person got back in April 2010 when the jackpot was $52million it was one winner and they took the cash.

The jackpot is listed as $51 million by the Florida Lottery, not $52 million.  Perhaps it will rise to $52 million (or more) by draw time, but that's the way it is right now.

Pita Maha's avatarPita Maha

New to Florida and new to this forum ... hi everyone! See Ya!

Florida Lotto is my favorite and I play every draw, usually buying 3 to 5 QPs.  Pretty exciting that the jackpot is so big!

Congrats Win for your win. That must have been absolutely thrilling!

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Quote: Originally posted by Pita Maha on Aug 11, 2013

Florida Lotto is my favorite and I play every draw, usually buying 3 to 5 QPs.  Pretty exciting that the jackpot is so big!

Welcome aboard. Hurray!

Thanks mypiemaster! Looking forward to hanging about here.

Ronnie316

I think FL will win another JP soon because of so many determined players.

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Aug 11, 2013

The jackpot is listed as $51 million by the Florida Lottery, not $52 million.  Perhaps it will rise to $52 million (or more) by draw time, but that's the way it is right now.

They have it all jacked up I think. The computer screen said 50 million lastnight, when I bout PB ticket last night, the bottom of the ticket said 49 million

I suspect by wed it will be 52 or 53 million

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 11, 2013

I think FL will win another JP soon because of so many determined players.

Whoa Sir Ronnie- are you suggesting that players from States other than Florida are not "determined"  to win? I thought it had everything to do with having the correct numbers, determination has squat to do with winning the lottery unless its proven otherwise.
Tell you what ol Chap- l am determined to not climb Mt Everest- ever.How's that for determination?

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Aug 11, 2013

Yes I know..I apologize.Someone had asked what was the cash option for the $51million so I looked up the $52 million jp that was won in April 2010 to show what a cash option look like for a prize $1million off...I also stand corrected because someone just pointed out that the largest jackpot was over one hundred million back in 1990..WOW..and yes I too think it's going to increase by WednesdayHyper

Quote: Originally posted by schmuckatelly on Aug 11, 2013

Actually the highest JP was in 1990 when it was $106.5 million, and 6 people won that one! I cant post a link, but its on Florida lottery timeline.

Wow.I had no idea..thanks for the correction..so how did it get that high if $52 million is the longest running jackpot?

Ronnie316

Wow.I had no idea..thanks for the correction..so how did it get that high if $52 million is the longest running jackpot?

The only explaination the story gives is that it was befor MM and PB were added in FL. https://www.lotterypost.com/news/264716   

Those three-plus months of rollovers have bumped the jackpot up to $50 million for Saturday night's drawing. That's far from the state record of $106.5 million in 1990. But that was before the national Powerball came to Florida in 2009 and Mega Millons started this year, offering more ways for Floridians to ante up.

the florida lotto was only about 2 years old at the time, so it was still fresh, drawings were once per week and the starting pot was normally around $7 million. Next rollover was around $14 million, etc... There was no MM or PB at the time, and there was nowhere near the amount of scratch offs as there is today. There may have been cash 3, but that was pretty much it.  Now it starts out at $2 million and trickles up from there.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Wow $50 million for a state lotto jackpot SWEET!!!!!  Good luck to all the Florida  LP membersThumbs Up

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by Pita Maha on Aug 11, 2013

Welcome to the LP Pita MahaThumbs Up

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 11, 2013

The only explaination the story gives is that it was befor MM and PB were added in FL. https://www.lotterypost.com/news/264716   

Thank you

Quote: Originally posted by schmuckatelly on Aug 11, 2013

the florida lotto was only about 2 years old at the time, so it was still fresh, drawings were once per week and the starting pot was normally around $7 million. Next rollover was around $14 million, etc... There was no MM or PB at the time, and there was nowhere near the amount of scratch offs as there is today. There may have been cash 3, but that was pretty much it.  Now it starts out at $2 million and trickles up from there.

Thank you..I see. hmm well I guess having 2 drawings a week is a win win for the florida lottery since the odds are worse now as oppose to 22 years ago..a drawing once a week and the rollover doubled...seem to me the odds and jp was better then versus now.thank you again..See Ya!

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Numbers Sat were mostly all high too:

Winning Numbers:

Saturday, August 10, 2013

20-44-46-48-52-53

Quote: Originally posted by BuyLow on Aug 12, 2013

Winning Numbers:

20-44-46-48-52-53

Of course they were, because my three QPs were all mostly low numbers Unhappy .... lots of single digits and teens, highest number was a 32! Frustrating!

JakpotRetiree2b

I've been chasing this JP for weeks now too!!  I'm taking it down this Wednesday!!!  Hyper

JakpotRetiree2b

Quote: Originally posted by BuyLow on Aug 12, 2013

Winning Numbers:

20-44-46-48-52-53

Not only that, but 46, 48 & 53 have hit on the last 2 drawings!!  Grrrrrrr...Mad

Quote: Originally posted by JakpotRetiree2b on Aug 13, 2013

Not only that, but 46, 48 & 53 have hit on the last 2 drawings!!  Grrrrrrr...Mad

You gonna play it this time? maybe 3rd time is a charm

No winner tonight. Jackpot at $53 Million for Saturday night.

Anfang71

I believe 59 tickets won the second prize 5 of 6 .

wow

Quote: Originally posted by Anfang71 on Aug 15, 2013

I believe 59 tickets won the second prize 5 of 6 .

wow

Florida Lotto

Next Jackpot:

Saturday, August 17, 2013

$53 Million

Winning Numbers:

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

3-6-16-30-31-40-x5

Rollover

Prize Level LOTTO Winners LOTTO Prize Amount XTRA Winners XTRA Prize Amount*
6-of-6 0 $51 Million - -
5-of-6 59 $3,221.50 6 $16,107.50
4-of-6 2,324 $61.00 457 $305.00
3-of-6 44,321 $5.00 8,609 $25.00
2-of-6 - - 70,811 Free Ticket

The excitement continues!

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by Pita Maha on Aug 15, 2013

The excitement continues!

Good LuckLep

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 16, 2013

Good LuckLep

Thanks! I splurged and bought a couple extra QPs for this draw. You never know!

Jackpot rolls to $56 Million for Wednesday night. Good Luck to me!

jamella724

Hmm maybe the jackpot prize is actually waiting for me. I need to have my tickets now who knows I might hit this huge jackpot prize. Well, whoever the winner will be, definitely he will be extremely lucky to win an extremely huge jackpot prize. I think as of the moment some players are losing their enthusiasm with the game but once someone hit the jackpot others will gone wild again to purchase a ticket.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story