Florida Lotto reaches its largest jackpot in 12 years

Aug 17, 2013, 7:48 am (54 comments)

Florida Lottery

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — The jackpot in this weekend's Florida Lotto game is reaching its highest level in 12 years.

Lottery officials reported Friday that the jackpot for the Saturday drawing had reached $54 million. That's the highest total since September 2001.

The jackpot has reached that total because no one has been able to match all six numbers since the April 24 drawing.

Florida Lotto is the state's flagship lottery game that has been around since 1988. But it has been eclipsed in popularity in recent years by multi-state games such as Powerball.

Jackpot prizes are paid in 30 annual installments or as a one-time, lump-sum payment. Jackpot winners have 60 days after the draw to select the lump-sum payment option. Winners must claim their prizes within 180 days from the applicable drawing.

Saturday's drawing will take place at 11:00 pm Eastern Time. The results will be published on Lottery Post's Florida Lottery Results page soon after the drawing.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

th19940305

Already got my tiks

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Got my personal and my pools ticket.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

After all the monster jackpots we've had lately,..........$54mil. cash is great, annuity...not a big deal anymore. I will still gladly take either one regardless. A win is a win.

duckman's avatarduckman

In the beginning of the Florida Lottery this would have been a big deal. Over $50mil created much more buzz and when it got to over $100mil on rare occasion it was all over the news.

The odds are much better with Florida Lotto at approximately 23mil to 1 vs. Powerball or MegaMillions at 175mil to 1...

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Back in the nineties when only a few states had their own lotteries and Florida lottery jackpots got this large I remember reading about people flying there to buy thousands of tickets for resale in their own states for a dollar or two extra.  It didn't take long before other states with large populations started their own lottery.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Hmm.........how far is Florida from Oklahoma Big Grin lol.... Good luck to all the Florida LP playersThumbs Up

stunna6036's avatarstunna6036

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Aug 17, 2013

After all the monster jackpots we've had lately,..........$54mil. cash is great, annuity...not a big deal anymore. I will still gladly take either one regardless. A win is a win.

maybe its time the lottery start advertising the cash value rather than annuity............winners seem to always take the cash. when was the last time somebody won a major jackpot and took the annuity.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

I Agree!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by stunna6036 on Aug 17, 2013

maybe its time the lottery start advertising the cash value rather than annuity............winners seem to always take the cash. when was the last time somebody won a major jackpot and took the annuity.

I would like to see the cash amounts advertised with an option of three annuities, 10, 20 or 30 years.

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Aug 17, 2013

Hmm.........how far is Florida from Oklahoma Big Grin lol.... Good luck to all the Florida LP playersThumbs Up

just a plane ride away Yes Nod

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 17, 2013

I would like to see the cash amounts advertised with an option of three annuities, 10, 20 or 30 years.

Good idea, but I don't think truth in advertising applies to lotteries.

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 17, 2013

just a plane ride away Yes Nod

I Agree! Bring extra cash with you.

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 17, 2013

Only when pigs fly. Come to think of it, I saw a pig, last week, on the plane. Maybe it was just a piglet.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 17, 2013

When state lotteries first started they were only annuities and than a few years ago states started offering cash options.  As one time only one persons could claim their prizes which made it harder for lottery pools to spread the tax burden fairly and that changed and I wouldn't be surprised if how lottery jackpots are advertised doesn't change some day too.

Only when pigs fly. Come to think of it, I saw a pig, last week, on the plane. Maybe it was just a piglet.

Hmmm....truth is stranger than fiction. Yes Nod 

Pita Maha's avatarPita Maha

Quote: Originally posted by stunna6036 on Aug 17, 2013

Absolutely! It's silly that they advertise a jackpot much larger than the current, real jackpot. Almost like false advertising. I can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure I read that 95% of people take the cash option. So why are they advertising some future prize that very few people care about or opt for??? What?

It's like"Woo hoo! $54 million!!! Banana Oh, wait a minute, No Nod  no, it's some other lower amount, not exactly sure what Disapprove, then take some more off for taxes Confused.... "  It kinda strips away some of the fun.

I'm just more used to the Canadian and Australian way - the jackpot is what it is. Are the European ones the same?

Quote: Originally posted by Pita Maha on Aug 17, 2013

Absolutely! It's silly that they advertise a jackpot much larger than the current, real jackpot. Almost like false advertising. I can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure I read that 95% of people take the cash option. So why are they advertising some future prize that very few people care about or opt for??? What?

It's like"Woo hoo! $54 million!!! Banana Oh, wait a minute, No Nod  no, it's some other lower amount, not exactly sure what Disapprove, then take some more off for taxes Confused.... "  It kinda strips away some of the fun.

I'm just more used to the Canadian and Australian way - the jackpot is what it is. Are the European ones the same?

Most of the euro-lotteries I've played are WYSIWYG, and they don't tax you upfront when you win. The monster jackpots{annuity}, advertising in the USA, are simply HEAD TURNERS. They make you leap before you look. It has been working for them so far.

Most of the euro-lotteries I've played are WYSIWYG, and they don't tax you upfront when you win. The monster jackpots{annuity}, advertising in the USA, are simply HEAD TURNERS. They make you leap before you look. It has been working for them so far.

Thanks for the info on the Euro lotteries. So everyone else does it the realistic way - what you see is what you get, which is the way it should be.  I don't think the American ones need to plump up the jackpot winnings by advertising the future value of an annuity. It'd still turn my head with the lower, realistic value, as it does in other countries. It's just an old-fashioned concept that needs to get tossed in the bin.

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

And the jackpot keeps on rolling.

Florida Lotto

Next Jackpot:

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

$56 Million

Winning Numbers:

Saturday, August 17, 2013

2-7-11-15-43-45-x2

Rollover

Prize Level LOTTO Winners LOTTO Prize Amount XTRA Winners XTRA Prize Amount*
6-of-6 0 $54 Million - -
5-of-6 50 $4,198.50 10 $8,397.00
4-of-6 2,951 $57.00 616 $114.00
3-of-6 56,832 $5.00 10,718 $25.00
2-of-6 - - 82,773 Free Ticket
scarchelli's avatarscarchelli

Quote: Originally posted by Pita Maha on Aug 17, 2013

Thanks for the info on the Euro lotteries. So everyone else does it the realistic way - what you see is what you get, which is the way it should be.  I don't think the American ones need to plump up the jackpot winnings by advertising the future value of an annuity. It'd still turn my head with the lower, realistic value, as it does in other countries. It's just an old-fashioned concept that needs to get tossed in the bin.

I couldn't disagree more.  Whether YOU think the cash value is big enough, is irrelevant.  Companies don't advertise for YOU.  Same reason prices are listed at 99.99 not 100.  It's because it looks more attractive, in general.  It has nothing to do with what you or I think.  This is advertising 101, it's a concept people typically learn before they are teens.

Quote: Originally posted by scarchelli on Aug 18, 2013

I couldn't disagree more.  Whether YOU think the cash value is big enough, is irrelevant.  Companies don't advertise for YOU.  Same reason prices are listed at 99.99 not 100.  It's because it looks more attractive, in general.  It has nothing to do with what you or I think.  This is advertising 101, it's a concept people typically learn before they are teens.

...YOU = CONSUMERS

...Companies target consumers{advertising}

...Consumers don't buy company product = Bankruptcy for company

...Company cares what YOU{consumer} thinks = Stays profitable

...Advertising 101= Consumer is always right, so try to please them or they won't buy, and you go bankrupt. CAPICHE? Yes Nod

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

I will buying a plane ticket to Florida this week...can't win it if you are not in it!

Romancandle's avatarRomancandle

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Aug 18, 2013

I will buying a plane ticket to Florida this week...can't win it if you are not in it!

Wow... it's gett'n up there.

That's going to be one expensive ticket, but if you win... LOL

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

The monster jackpots are like that of the headliner Quarterback Contract signings in the NFL. If a top tier QB signs a contract for 5 years $100 million dollars or so, it sounds massive, but in reality only $35 million or so is actually "gauranteed" money.

scarchelli's avatarscarchelli

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Aug 18, 2013

...YOU = CONSUMERS

...Companies target consumers{advertising}

...Consumers don't buy company product = Bankruptcy for company

...Company cares what YOU{consumer} thinks = Stays profitable

...Advertising 101= Consumer is always right, so try to please them or they won't buy, and you go bankrupt. CAPICHE? Yes Nod

Umm..so advertisments from hundreds of thousands of companies over the years have been wrong all this time?  I don't see them all going bankrupt from advertising a certain way?

Quote: Originally posted by scarchelli on Aug 18, 2013

Umm..so advertisments from hundreds of thousands of companies over the years have been wrong all this time?  I don't see them all going bankrupt from advertising a certain way?

Companies target consumers{advertising} =succeed = turns YOU{consumer} into customer.

Companies ignore/diss. consumers = failure = unable to convert consumer into customer = no profits{adjust or going down for the count.}ThudSee Ya!.

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Correction...make that an award ticket...I have miles to burn on United or Delta.

Romancandle's avatarRomancandle

Correction...make that an award ticket...I have miles to burn on United or Delta.

That's one way to use those miles... I can see for miles and miles!

I Agree! Bring extra cash with you.

Scared

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 18, 2013

Scared

Flying to FL sounds good to me.

Ronnie316

Flying to Vegas sounds good too.

Ronnie316

Have a good night everyone........ Sleep

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 18, 2013

couldn't you drive that only in about 2hrs LOL

onlymoney

Have a good night everyone........ Sleep

And don't wake up, for our sake.

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

My office pool now wants to buy FL Lotto in addition to Powerball, how do I get myself into these things......lol

It's ok, when we win we will Partyour azzes off!!

schmuckatelly's avatarschmuckatelly

Quote: Originally posted by BuyLow on Aug 18, 2013

My office pool now wants to buy FL Lotto in addition to Powerball, how do I get myself into these things......lol

It's ok, when we win we will Partyour azzes off!!

Do you ever have people ask to get in? what do you tell them when they ask?

brittkimsdad's avatarbrittkimsdad

I'll be in Florida the first week in September.... please keep that jackpot growing 'til I get there.  Then I can relieve you guys of that huge wad of cash!!  Just trying to do my part to help....
Wink

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Florida players beware, Gloria bought tickets.

And the excitement continues to continue! Banana

Bought my 3 QPs already. If I happen to be around a lottery retailer in the next couple of days I might splurge again and pick up another QP or two.

At this JP size, I'd be willing to share ... I think I could manage on $28million, or about $10million cash after taxes.  Anyone else? Big Smile

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Quote: Originally posted by schmuckatelly on Aug 19, 2013

Do you ever have people ask to get in? what do you tell them when they ask?

Not really....Its the same five us each time and we sign an agreement each time (only those who have signed are in), have been doing paper but I have a program for e signatures and am gonna do that from now on.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Pita Maha on Aug 19, 2013

And the excitement continues to continue! Banana

Bought my 3 QPs already. If I happen to be around a lottery retailer in the next couple of days I might splurge again and pick up another QP or two.

At this JP size, I'd be willing to share ... I think I could manage on $28million, or about $10million cash after taxes.  Anyone else? Big Smile

"At this JP size, I'd be willing to share..."

Well thank you! I'm glad to accept half if you win!  Hyper

it always is GoodDance

Flying to FL sounds good to me.

I Agree!

Another big jackpot is slowly creeping up around the corner, and it is not in FL.

Arrowhead's avatarArrowhead

$43.9 mil tonight in Ohio's Classic Lotto. Been trying to win this sucker for over a year.Yes Nod

miracleplay5's avatarmiracleplay5

It rolled againHyper

FLORIDA LOTTO

Next Jackpot:

Saturday, August 24, 2013

$58 Million

Winning Numbers:

3-6-36-46-48-52-x4

Rollover

brittkimsdad's avatarbrittkimsdad

Quote: Originally posted by miracleplay5 on Aug 22, 2013

It rolled againHyper

FLORIDA LOTTO

Next Jackpot:

Saturday, August 24, 2013

$58 Million

Winning Numbers:

3-6-36-46-48-52-x4

Rollover

I'll be out in FL first week of Sept ...  Could you guys please keep that rolling until I get there?  Thanks!!  Wink

Quote: Originally posted by brittkimsdad on Aug 22, 2013

I'll be out in FL first week of Sept ...  Could you guys please keep that rolling until I get there?  Thanks!!  Wink

Well, since that's not too far off from now .... hmmmm, okay!  Just as long as I have one of the winning tickets. You can have the other one Big Smile  A half share of that JP is plenty for me.

stunna6036's avatarstunna6036

Would someone anyone just win the jackpot allready..........sheezzzz
Bed

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on Aug 21, 2013

$43.9 mil tonight in Ohio's Classic Lotto. Been trying to win this sucker for over a year.Yes Nod

You're not the only one.  I've had fellow players making all kinds of suggestions about what I should try in spite of the fact that back in February I got closer than any of them ever had.  I keep telling them they should try some of the own suggestions because if I ever win I won't be sharing.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by stunna6036 on Aug 22, 2013

Would someone anyone just win the jackpot allready..........sheezzzz
Bed

Hang in there, someone always eventually wins. Wink

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

1 Person in Orlando took it all.  $59,000,000.00.

th19940305

Back down to 2 million now

jamella724

This is extremely huge jackpot prize. I will be one of those lottery players who will pile up in front of lottery retailer stores. I hope to win this $54 million jackpot prize too. I already plan what will I do with the money once I hit this jackpot prize. :)

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story