Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Check Cashing place is your first choice after a big JP win??

Topic closed. 166 replies. Last post 3 years ago by emilyg.

Page 1 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #128790
June 2, 2012
5431 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2014, 1:17 am - IP Logged

I just can't imagine paying the standard 10% fee. Anyone know where the lowest rates are and in which states?

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2014, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Assuming you win, can't you deposit the check at your bank and avoid those fees?  Not sure what I'm missing here.

United States
      Member #128790
      June 2, 2012
      5431 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2014, 2:13 am - IP Logged

Assuming you win, can't you deposit the check at your bank and avoid those fees?  Not sure what I'm missing here.

I know, I gotta win first, but let's overlook that small distraction for now and focus on what a person should do IF they win..

Banks is a bad idea. FDIC is not sufficient insurance.

So what check cashing place is your first choice?

United States
        Member #129868
        June 30, 2012
        2453 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2014, 2:52 am - IP Logged

I just can't imagine paying the standard 10% fee. Anyone know where the lowest rates are and in which states?

This is silly.  You can easily deposit the check for free and then withdraw the whole thing once it clears.  Your money is safe,  There are multi-millionaires who receive salaries in the same amount of a JP wins and they're not in check cashing joint, believe me.  Checking cashing joints are predatory by nature and are often found in poor neighborhoods where poor people without proper financial literacy use these services.  Shame on you for posting this onlymoney, I thought you were more a higher caliber person.

United States
          Member #94616
          July 24, 2010
          4735 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2014, 4:55 am - IP Logged

This is silly.  You can easily deposit the check for free and then withdraw the whole thing once it clears.  Your money is safe,  There are multi-millionaires who receive salaries in the same amount of a JP wins and they're not in check cashing joint, believe me.  Checking cashing joints are predatory by nature and are often found in poor neighborhoods where poor people without proper financial literacy use these services.  Shame on you for posting this onlymoney, I thought you were more a higher caliber person.

Agreed, once you win a large Jackpot - 10k or more.  You will be a 'good' customer of any bank and you should have no issue or problem with them.  You will have 'free' use of your money or at least any fees would be negilable. 

Once you have that kind of money your perspective on where to go & what to do with it will change.

Or better yest use a Credit Union! Thumbs Up

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
            Florida
            United States
            Member #61435
            May 22, 2008
            908 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2014, 5:44 am - IP Logged

United States
              Member #149820
              December 9, 2013
              644 Posts
              Posted: January 27, 2014, 7:47 am - IP Logged

LOL I got a bank account so mine will go there, but can you have it deposited on a green dot card or one of the many pre paid debit cards that are out there?

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
                Jacksonville, Florida
                United States
                Member #140364
                March 17, 2013
                195 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2014, 9:07 am - IP Logged

I just can't imagine walking out of your neighborhood check cashing store with with millions of dollars in hand.

United States
                  Member #149820
                  December 9, 2013
                  644 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2014, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I just can't imagine walking out of your neighborhood check cashing store with with millions of dollars in hand.

LOL you cant even do that at a bank without filling out all kinds of tax forms and notifying them ahead of time that you'll be needing that amount of cash, so they can get it. So Im sure you'd never have that problem at the rinky dink check cashing place.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1649 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2014, 9:56 am - IP Logged

This must be purely a fun thread...it has to be. The words Jackpot win and Check Cashing Place don't even belong in the same sentence, conversation, or even thought process in my opinion. Oh, well...let's see what happens.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #129225
                      June 13, 2012
                      546 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2014, 10:40 am - IP Logged

You might want to check out the one Malcolm Ramsey used in Florida.  I think he got a really good deal.

United States
                        Member #150370
                        December 20, 2013
                        451 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2014, 10:45 am - IP Logged

Wal mart charges $3.00

or I may put in my RUSHcard

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2014, 10:47 am - IP Logged

I know, I gotta win first, but let's overlook that small distraction for now and focus on what a person should do IF they win..

I got a few of those myself. Here goes
                          1. I've been thinking of getting a haircut, should I wait until I hit the jp?
                          2. Should I start looking for property in anticipation of winning the jp?
                          3. What kind of happy dance should I do as I accept my millions?
                          Please help me answer these troubling questions that keep me awake all night

That money's gone fo ever

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                            Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                            United States
                            Member #50210
                            March 1, 2007
                            843 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2014, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

"Banks is a bad idea. FDIC is not sufficient insurance."

If that's the case then simply inform the lottery officials that you don't deal or trust any bank and that you would like your payment in cold hard cash...preferably 10's and 20's placed in several dozen trash bags(in order to be inconspicuous).

Transport your funds via a beat up pickup truck.

Your money should be safe in your apartment underneath your mattress.

Good luck!

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                              Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                              United States
                              Member #50210
                              March 1, 2007
                              843 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2014, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Looks like a keeper!

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Page 1 of 12