Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Check Cashing place is your first choice after a big JP win??

Topic closed. 166 replies. Last post 3 years ago by emilyg.

Page 2 of 12
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4795 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2014, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

"Banks is a bad idea. FDIC is not sufficient insurance."

If that's the case then simply inform the lottery officials that you don't deal or trust any bank and that you would like your payment in cold hard cash...preferably 10's and 20's placed in several dozen trash bags(in order to be inconspicuous).

Transport your funds via a beat up pickup truck.

Your money should be safe in your apartment underneath your mattress.

Good luck!

lol lol I always wondered about those cash checking places. I go to a little store just outside my neighborhood  sometimes to buy my VA lottery tickets and there is one of those places in this little strip mall. I always wonder if a nosy neighbor sees my car there will they wonder about me? lol They take 10% of checks cashed?  Geeeeeeeeeee  I plan to take all my money in cash and use it to build a grand papier mache tower to the sky!

J'aime La France.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1186 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2014, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

"Banks is a bad idea. FDIC is not sufficient insurance."

If that's the case then simply inform the lottery officials that you don't deal or trust any bank and that you would like your payment in cold hard cash...preferably 10's and 20's placed in several dozen trash bags(in order to be inconspicuous).

Transport your funds via a beat up pickup truck.

Your money should be safe in your apartment underneath your mattress.

Good luck!

Priceless, Jill. Simply priceless.ROFL

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40566 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2014, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Fast Eddies check cashing and haircuts, always take million dollar checks there.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
        Texas Panhandle
        United States
        Member #136843
        December 20, 2012
        1281 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2014, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Wal mart charges $3.00

or I may put in my RUSHcard

After I first read this thread, I thought the same thing, but found out WM has a $5000 check cashing limit. 

I think the OP was having a little fun w/ the question, but I still did some reading and found a couple other forums where this very thing was discussed.   I didn't look up every state, but the few official lottery sites I visited say they don't issue a check and only do wire transfers.   One concern was the FDIC max. insured acct. and there are several ways to get around that particular worry.  One doofus said he was worried the bank would go under between the time he had the money sent and he could get there to redistribute the money.   (as if the Bank of America was going to purposely go under in order to steal the jackpot - the odds are more likely you'd be hit by lightning while being eaten by a shark <hat tip to Todd>)  Another guy said he didn't have a bank acct. and didn't have the money to open one.  First of all, it doesn't take much just to open up an acct.  and you could always go to the pawn shop and hock something for 30 days to get the  required amt.  I'm also sure that, if you took the winning ticket to the bank and showed it to the mgr. and explained your predicament, they would gladly loan you enough money to open an acct. (they'd do it just on your signature, I'm sure b/c they could "freeze" the acct. until you paid the loan back)  They'd make money off the deposit, even if it were only there f/ a day or two.  You don't have to wire it to a bank, either; an investment firm would be more than happy to open an acct. for you.

Yeah, I think the OP is, as my online British friends would say, "takin' the Mick" out of us.

United States
          Member #124493
          March 14, 2012
          7023 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2014, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I just can't imagine paying the standard 10% fee. Anyone know where the lowest rates are and in which states?

I think my first choice would be the Bank of Sri Lanka.

Second choice is Bank of America.

My third choice is the Federal Reserve Bank.

United States
            Member #124493
            March 14, 2012
            7023 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2014, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

I just can't imagine paying the standard 10% fee. Anyone know where the lowest rates are and in which states?

With your idiotic signature, I dont think you can imagine winning either.Red Devil

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
              NYC
              United States
              Member #117984
              October 19, 2011
              1843 Posts
              Posted: January 28, 2014, 1:24 am - IP Logged

lol lol I always wondered about those cash checking places. I go to a little store just outside my neighborhood  sometimes to buy my VA lottery tickets and there is one of those places in this little strip mall. I always wonder if a nosy neighbor sees my car there will they wonder about me? lol They take 10% of checks cashed?  Geeeeeeeeeee  I plan to take all my money in cash and use it to build a grand papier mache tower to the sky!

Were you a teacher in 2003? I was in 4th grade and my art teacher loved paper m&#65533;ch&#65533; and cutting paper with her hands!

You remind me of her but I forget her name. :/

OM, I got a spot in the hood. You just have to fill out an appy for the pre-paid card. Some spot in the hood, Castle Hill in the Bronx. Lmao. Holla at me dawgy from another mom dukes. :)

(Everyone, stay away from Devil Springs and ginger ale) :x

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                NY
                United States
                Member #121961
                January 21, 2012
                3157 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2014, 1:52 am - IP Logged

Were you a teacher in 2003? I was in 4th grade and my art teacher loved paper m&#65533;ch&#65533; and cutting paper with her hands!

OM, I got a spot in the hood. You just have to fill out an appy for the pre-paid card. Some spot in the hood, Castle Hill in the Bronx. Lmao. Holla at me dawgy from another mom dukes. :)

Castle Hill in the Bronx. Lmao.

Funny, my car was painted in Hunts Point off Bruckner. Imagine two white guys driving a mustang with no paint or interior/top around the hood looking for parts. They must of thought we were insane. 

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                  NYC
                  United States
                  Member #117984
                  October 19, 2011
                  1843 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2014, 2:42 am - IP Logged

Castle Hill in the Bronx. Lmao.

Funny, my car was painted in Hunts Point off Bruckner. Imagine two white guys driving a mustang with no paint or interior/top around the hood looking for parts. They must of thought we were insane. 

LMAO! Locals probably thought you guys were filming Jackass lol.

I know that area you're talking about. I think the owner of the shop has a reality t.v. show.

A lot of collectors go to him for car related things. :)

P.S. I <3 New York City!

Crazy crackheads in the bronx. Badass kids jumping on busses in Brooklyn. Best soulful joints in Harlem.

Best clothing going down Bleecker St. Between hudson all the way down to Manhattan South. Beautiful Scenery of the skyline in LIC. Love the midtown tunnel when in a rush to get to the city.

Ahh... Just gotta love NYC. Who could live anywhere else? Lol.

United States
                    Member #128790
                    June 2, 2012
                    5431 Posts
                    Posted: January 28, 2014, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

With your idiotic signature, I dont think you can imagine winning either.Red Devil

Either you're a moron who can't understand basic odds, or a moron who is delusional. Maybe you're both.

Stick to making sure you remove the fries when the buzzer goes off, and leave the thinking to the rest of us. Hopefully one day you'll be promoted to dishwasher.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4795 Posts
                      Posted: January 28, 2014, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Nope. Not me.

J'aime La France.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7318 Posts
                        Posted: January 29, 2014, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

To be fair, they are discussing pick-3 and pick-4 systems so the signature might be a reminder of why they don't play every drawing in games with multi-million jackpots.

Any experienced professional gambler will say the lottery odds are the worst, but almost everyone of them will buy a ticket during a ticket buying frenzy and it's not a bad bet because the odds of a jackpot winning ticket being sold are much better. Looking at the 336,545,306 tickets sold during the last jackpot ticket buying frenzy and comparing that to the TWO jackpot winning tickets, the odds of winning an almost "must win" jackpot are still terrible.

According to my calculator the percentage of any one ticket winning that jackpot was 5.9427362805054247287585107486241e-9 which is a percentage of 0.0000005942% of winning that jackpot or a 99.999999406% chance of not winning.

Do you think a better signature would be "even though 99.9% of all lottery players know they probably will never win a multi-million jackpot, they still play"?

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7318 Posts
                          Posted: January 29, 2014, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

They would have to make arrangements with even the best bank in the country to cash a multi-million check because that's more cash than what's probably in the average bank vault. Without an account, it will be much more than the standard fee because of the logistics and even with an account, they probably will be required to pay additional fees for getting and transporting the money.

It would be fun to see the look on the face of the clerk cashing checks at a grocery store too.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5124 Posts
                            Posted: January 29, 2014, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Wal mart charges $3.00

or I may put in my RUSHcard

ILC:

If you can't trust Wal smart.....................................who can you TRUST????????????????????????  Naughty

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                              Jacksonville Florida
                              United States
                              Member #23018
                              October 6, 2005
                              918 Posts
                              Posted: January 29, 2014, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Put it in the bank. If it is a large amount, most lotteries will direct deposit the winnings for the fastest and most secure way. You can then split up the funds as needed...

Page 2 of 12