Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TLC The Lottery Changed My Life...on again

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 2 years ago by lejardin.

Page 3 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
Member #118609
November 4, 2011
935 Posts
Posted: June 9, 2014, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

Was James the guy who took care of stray cats?

Yes, that is the one.  He was down to his last $3 and bought a ticket and won.  He was so downtrodden  he had a hard time claiming  it.  Thankfully he had a honest friend who helped him.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
    USA
    United States
    Member #152799
    February 25, 2014
    1092 Posts
    Posted: June 10, 2014, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Yes, that is the one.  He was down to his last $3 and bought a ticket and won.  He was so downtrodden  he had a hard time claiming  it.  Thankfully he had a honest friend who helped him.

The hotel millionaire!  He is a very simple man and is satisfied living an uneventful life. He has saved the bulk of his annuity payments and I doubt he will ever go broke. No fancy car or house for this gentleman and he enjoys life by living well below his means.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
      Texas
      United States
      Member #150797
      December 31, 2013
      815 Posts
      Posted: June 10, 2014, 9:24 am - IP Logged

I just started watching these shows because you posted lejardin

I had previously seen them in the listings, but I was afraid to watch, as i feared that if I did I would be consumed with envy.  But, they are very interesting and I am enjoying them very much.

Thanks for the tip.

See Ya!

USA
        United States
        Member #152799
        February 25, 2014
        1092 Posts
        Posted: June 10, 2014, 11:13 am - IP Logged

it would be nice if they would do a follow up story on some of the success that evolved from a major win. One lady that come to mind is the ice skater who won a large jackpot at a young age and invested in a restaurant that is highly profitable. I think it's near Colorado Spring.

United States
          Member #118609
          November 4, 2011
          935 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2014, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

I just started watching these shows because you posted lejardin

I had previously seen them in the listings, but I was afraid to watch, as i feared that if I did I would be consumed with envy.  But, they are very interesting and I am enjoying them very much.

Thanks for the tip.

See Ya!

That's great and you are welcome. I do think there is a little bit of envy but also a reminder that it can happen to any one of us.   I like feel good stories and the Hotel Millionaire is one such story.  I am glad you enjoy them I do too!

United States
            Member #118609
            November 4, 2011
            935 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2014, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

it would be nice if they would do a follow up story on some of the success that evolved from a major win. One lady that come to mind is the ice skater who won a large jackpot at a young age and invested in a restaurant that is highly profitable. I think it's near Colorado Spring.

Oh yes, she paid  like $35,000 for a shower with all the bells and whistles lol.  I find it interesting the things some people really want.  My wants are pretty simple. 

Would love to see an update on the people they profiled to see what their life is like now and if they would change anything if they could do over.

My other favorite winner was the couple in New York who used to run a homeless shelter.  The state claimed they overcharged etc.  People gave them a bad time, saying they now have the money to repay the state and they refused, said they did nothing wrong.  I agree 100% with them, if they are innocent, no way would I pay regardless of how much money. Their attorney and  cpa also backed up their story.

USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1092 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2014, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Oh yes, she paid  like $35,000 for a shower with all the bells and whistles lol.  I find it interesting the things some people really want.  My wants are pretty simple. 

Would love to see an update on the people they profiled to see what their life is like now and if they would change anything if they could do over.

My other favorite winner was the couple in New York who used to run a homeless shelter.  The state claimed they overcharged etc.  People gave them a bad time, saying they now have the money to repay the state and they refused, said they did nothing wrong.  I agree 100% with them, if they are innocent, no way would I pay regardless of how much money. Their attorney and  cpa also backed up their story.

That was a huge and awesome shower! If I had her funds, I would want something similar. 

The couple from NY won their case against the state as the judge agreed that they owed nothing.

United States
                Member #118609
                November 4, 2011
                935 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2014, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

That was a huge and awesome shower! If I had her funds, I would want something similar. 

The couple from NY won their case against the state as the judge agreed that they owed nothing.

Hahahahaha we found your weakness lol.

Thanks for the update, I wasnt aware they won their case. Good for them.  Now THEIR house and property was gorgeous, two pools....Not sure what I would do there but get lost, it would be a wonderful  home.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                  Texas Panhandle
                  United States
                  Member #136843
                  December 20, 2012
                  1276 Posts
                  Posted: June 10, 2014, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

If I win under 10 million, all of it (except for up to 1 million max which will be a charitable foundation) is going into CDs, etc.  I would not risk a penny of it.

That's close to what I'd like to do, too;  I have a 10% plan: 10% for my foundation, up to 10% for a suitable property, up to 10% - no more!- on things I've always wanted or vacations to places I've always wanted to go,  etc.  Depending upon the JP and take-home, I *might* invest 10% in a high risk investment, but the rest is going into the safest place I can find - I'm not all that fussed about trying to double/triple my money, although I'd love to be able to live off the interest or at least not tap into the principal too much or often.   I'd probably feel differently if I was 30 yrs. old w/ a family, but I'm not and I don't.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                    Texas Panhandle
                    United States
                    Member #136843
                    December 20, 2012
                    1276 Posts
                    Posted: June 10, 2014, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

The hotel millionaire!  He is a very simple man and is satisfied living an uneventful life. He has saved the bulk of his annuity payments and I doubt he will ever go broke. No fancy car or house for this gentleman and he enjoys life by living well below his means.

That was my favorite of all the segments;  I got a kick out of how he always ate out and brought back a meal for the stray cats.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4791 Posts
                      Posted: June 10, 2014, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

That was my favorite of all the segments;  I got a kick out of how he always ate out and brought back a meal for the stray cats.

Me too! Anyone that helps homeless animals is ok.

J'aime La France.

United States
                        Member #118609
                        November 4, 2011
                        935 Posts
                        Posted: June 10, 2014, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Me too! Anyone that helps homeless animals is ok.

Animal shelters, aspca would be on my charity list.  Would love to rescue animals on my acreage but I might have a hard time saying no .  The commercials on tv they show about abused and homeless dogs rips my heart out, I cant watch it.  Animals have a special place in my heart.  My family always had lots of pets.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4791 Posts
                          Posted: June 10, 2014, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Animal shelters, aspca would be on my charity list.  Would love to rescue animals on my acreage but I might have a hard time saying no .  The commercials on tv they show about abused and homeless dogs rips my heart out, I cant watch it.  Animals have a special place in my heart.  My family always had lots of pets.

A lot of the national animal charities do not have good reputations...better to give to your local no kill volunteer rescue org. who is going out and pulling cats and dogs off of death row at high kill "shelters" and taking give ups.

J'aime La France.

United States
                            Member #118609
                            November 4, 2011
                            935 Posts
                            Posted: June 10, 2014, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Good advice, thanx. 

USA
                              United States
                              Member #152799
                              February 25, 2014
                              1092 Posts
                              Posted: June 10, 2014, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

A lot of the national animal charities do not have good reputations...better to give to your local no kill volunteer rescue org. who is going out and pulling cats and dogs off of death row at high kill "shelters" and taking give ups.

I have heard the same stories and support my local shelter. We will be looking to get our son a hypo allergenic dog in the near future and are hoping to get one locally.