Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TLC The Lottery Changed My Life...on again

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 2 years ago by lejardin.

Page 6 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
Member #118609
November 4, 2011
930 Posts
Posted: June 23, 2014, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

LOL. Not really. Whenever I catch an old episode of TLCML that I haven't seen in a while, I do a Google search on the winners or their businesses.

The guy didn't lose the bar because of a lawsuit, he and his partners had issues and he was sued by a third entity over a contract breach or something to that effect, so that dream he had didn't materialize. No idea what happened to the young fiancee he had and I can find no evidence that he went broke or bankrupt, just that the music bar did.

I had thought the tee pee motel was a terrible idea too and that he was nuts. Especially considering it was located in nowhere of any tourist significance. But I looked it up on Saturday and even though their website wasn't functioning well, the reviews on Tripadvisor and Yelp were mainly positive. Seems kids enjoy the novelty and Having an RV park on the grounds provides extra income. He knew what he was doing.

As for TLC, even the winners they show that are years into their win, they try to show as being big spenders. They have them shopping for items the winners have no intention of buying. It's fake reality. But that's what gets the viewers interested so it is what it is. I think Cynthia is the only one they did a follow-up on and she was even more mercenary than in the original episode.

You found more than I did!  Good information. 

AND GUESS WHAT LOTTERY FANS?  We have us another mini marathon Saturday, June 28 9:00 Pst hahahaha.

This next group of four shows are:

9:00. Janitor Millionaire

10:00. Country Millionaire

11:00. Race Car Millionaire

12:00. WiccanMillionaire

Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
    New York
    United States
    Member #145706
    August 12, 2013
    108 Posts
    Posted: June 23, 2014, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Todd has referenced the $67 million pre-tax amount several times in different articles. The report of each netting around $21 million is false. The true net amount is closer to $14 million.

www.lotterypost.com/news/211684

I do agree with you that she is a big pretender and I don't believe anything that Lanre says as all he saw in Cynthia was a money train that he was anxious to board.

!.....Only $14 mill each.  I think she made some stupid mistakes. First was splitting the money equally with her family. I would have help them out, but certainly not split it. Then that movie production business. Which probably cost her more money with no return investments. Then buying those expensive cars- Bentley's and Rolls Royce. And her huge donation to Geffen house of $ 1 million (David Geffin is already a billionaire) . Not to mention bills and property tax on her Beverily Hills house.  She is most likely down to only a few millions. Now she seems to have fallen off the map. Haven't heard anything from her. Not her website or Twitter.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1181 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2014, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

!.....Only $14 mill each.  I think she made some stupid mistakes. First was splitting the money equally with her family. I would have help them out, but certainly not split it. Then that movie production business. Which probably cost her more money with no return investments. Then buying those expensive cars- Bentley's and Rolls Royce. And her huge donation to Geffen house of $ 1 million (David Geffin is already a billionaire) . Not to mention bills and property tax on her Beverily Hills house.  She is most likely down to only a few millions. Now she seems to have fallen off the map. Haven't heard anything from her. Not her website or Twitter.

I don't think she split it with her brother and father because she was being nice or generous, otherwise why hasn't she helped her sister. She split it with them because technically, it was their money she used (at least according to the sister).

I agree that the production company was a huge mistake, but then again I thought the tee pee motel was a crappy idea too, so I no longer have the right to judge too harshly (LOL).

Fingers crossed that she invested at least $5 million and can live off the interest. On one of those financial networks she had talked about making sure to have a good team around you to protect your assets so I'm hoping she followed her own advice. If she purchased those big ticket items outright, then she only needs to pay taxes, upkeep and insurance. And if most the kids are grown, there's no reason she can't live comfortably on $250k a year. *sigh* really trying to be optimistic.

United States
        Member #142499
        May 13, 2013
        1181 Posts
        Posted: June 24, 2014, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

Todd has referenced the $67 million pre-tax amount several times in different articles. The report of each netting around $21 million is false. The true net amount is closer to $14 million.

www.lotterypost.com/news/211684

I do agree with you that she is a big pretender and I don't believe anything that Lanre says as all he saw in Cynthia was a money train that he was anxious to board.

That link doesn't seem to work but I'll take Todd's word for it. He always has the full scoop. But if all she really got was $14 million, then I'm wondering if maybe her brother and father might be helping her out, because I'm not seeing how she isn't yet broke. Maybe she leased those cars and didn't actually own them all? 

And I'm with you on Lanre. I don't believe him, but I think he's actually smarter and shrewder than Cynthia, and he's an opportunist. His finances improved after he got involved with her, whereas hers got worse. I'm hoping that she wakes up and pulls her head from out her @$$ before she has nothing left. If it's not already too late.

United States
          Member #152758
          February 24, 2014
          327 Posts
          Posted: June 24, 2014, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

ok

United States
            Member #152758
            February 24, 2014
            327 Posts
            Posted: June 24, 2014, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

when u  win  big  the  best  thing  to  do  is  move

United States
              Member #152758
              February 24, 2014
              327 Posts
              Posted: June 24, 2014, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

how  about  the   drug  aaddict  who  won  30 million   bought  a  mansion  filled  it  with  furniture and   statues  from  around  the   world  and  was   bragging,   then   went   back  on   drugs   and   lost   everything

United States
                Member #142499
                May 13, 2013
                1181 Posts
                Posted: June 24, 2014, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

how  about  the   drug  aaddict  who  won  30 million   bought  a  mansion  filled  it  with  furniture and   statues  from  around  the   world  and  was   bragging,   then   went   back  on   drugs   and   lost   everything

I still maintain that his wife was his downfall. He might have stood have stood a chance had it not been for her. And the irony is that now he's dead and she's moved on to another husband. Hope she is at least happy now at last.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

United States
                  Member #118609
                  November 4, 2011
                  930 Posts
                  Posted: June 24, 2014, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

That was David Lee Edwards from Kentucky.  Such a sad story.  He is the one whose financial advisor said had he spent a little to buy a house and car and invested the majority, he could have lived off the interest to the tune of $87,000 A MONTH AND NEVER TOUCHED THE PRINCIPAL.  Who could not live off $87k a month?  He ended up losing his Florida home due to non payment of HOA fees.  Then all his cars went.  Somehow I seem to recall he even had a jet, that is an insane decision, the maintenace alone would wipe out most of your money.  He ended up divorced, broke, drug addicted and he passed away in a home heatlh care center back in Kentucky.  No money left over for his daughter either.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                    Texas Panhandle
                    United States
                    Member #136843
                    December 20, 2012
                    1256 Posts
                    Posted: June 24, 2014, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

That was David Lee Edwards from Kentucky.  Such a sad story.  He is the one whose financial advisor said had he spent a little to buy a house and car and invested the majority, he could have lived off the interest to the tune of $87,000 A MONTH AND NEVER TOUCHED THE PRINCIPAL.  Who could not live off $87k a month?  He ended up losing his Florida home due to non payment of HOA fees.  Then all his cars went.  Somehow I seem to recall he even had a jet, that is an insane decision, the maintenace alone would wipe out most of your money.  He ended up divorced, broke, drug addicted and he passed away in a home heatlh care center back in Kentucky.  No money left over for his daughter either.

When I first saw the segment on Edwards, I remember thinking that his story will have a sad ending...but I also remember thinking I wouldn't feel sorry for him, either.  He was given the ultimate second chance in life and blew it.   The thing that really got me was seeing him take such pride in his collection of replica armor and swords - not an investment, because I'm sure the stuff depreciated by 50% as soon as he got it home.  Granted, collectibles don't have to be an investment and the main thing is you enjoy your collection, but it just seemed to me to be short-sighted purchases. To each his/her own, I guess.

After seeing that segment, I Googled him and found this story in here: Lottery winner goes from rags to riches to rags - that was when I started lurking on this site.  (I took a long time to join, huh?) There was this follow up a few months back when he passed away: Powerball winner dies penniless, 12 years after winning $27 million.

I don't think people really have a grasp on how much it will cost to maintain some of the things they buy;  I used to fantasize about being able to buy a huge property, but I realized it would take a lot of bucks to keep it up - the property taxes alone are nearly 20k/yr., plus the utility bills, insurance, labor and many other expenses could easily be 100 - 200k+/yr.  I wouldn't even attempt it unless I took home a 100 million JP (after taxes)

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5112 Posts
                      Posted: June 24, 2014, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Just an FYI, this Saturday, May 30, 2014 At 1:00 PST is three shows of The Lottery Changed My Life

1:00. Island Dreamers

2:00. Millionaire Truckers

3:00. Millionaire Bachelor

I still enjoy watching even though I have seen them dozens of times LOL

LJD:

TLC & The Lottery Post>^$

changed my life agin today

TLC & The Lottey Post Changes

United States
                        Member #118609
                        November 4, 2011
                        930 Posts
                        Posted: June 25, 2014, 12:53 am - IP Logged

When I first saw the segment on Edwards, I remember thinking that his story will have a sad ending...but I also remember thinking I wouldn't feel sorry for him, either.  He was given the ultimate second chance in life and blew it.   The thing that really got me was seeing him take such pride in his collection of replica armor and swords - not an investment, because I'm sure the stuff depreciated by 50% as soon as he got it home.  Granted, collectibles don't have to be an investment and the main thing is you enjoy your collection, but it just seemed to me to be short-sighted purchases. To each his/her own, I guess.

After seeing that segment, I Googled him and found this story in here: Lottery winner goes from rags to riches to rags - that was when I started lurking on this site.  (I took a long time to join, huh?) There was this follow up a few months back when he passed away: Powerball winner dies penniless, 12 years after winning $27 million.

I don't think people really have a grasp on how much it will cost to maintain some of the things they buy;  I used to fantasize about being able to buy a huge property, but I realized it would take a lot of bucks to keep it up - the property taxes alone are nearly 20k/yr., plus the utility bills, insurance, labor and many other expenses could easily be 100 - 200k+/yr.  I wouldn't even attempt it unless I took home a 100 million JP (after taxes)

i know I shouldnt feel sorry  for him either but it was such a trainwreck you knew it would not end well.  He had a chance  of a lifetime and squandered it all, that is the sad part, he could have done so much good for others, including his own daughter.

Those links are an interesting read.

You started on L.P. reading about David Lee Edwards?  Lol just a little bit to decide to join!   I just happened to come across L.P. by accident and liked to read anything I can about winners. Maybe it is envy or just plain being nosey lol.

The absolute worst devision I think he made was the plane.

You know I felt like you, wanting the large house but when it comes to cleaning I rethought it.  I would like large rooms however.  More in taxes, heating and cooling, once again in this economy and President/admin. who knows how  high they will end up.  Instead I would exchange the large house for acreage, maybe some farm animals, pets,  secured fencing and privacy.

United States
                          Member #118609
                          November 4, 2011
                          930 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2014, 12:57 am - IP Logged

LJD:

TLC & The Lottery Post>^$

changed my life agin today

TLC & The Lottey Post Changes

changed your life today?

Maybe this coming Saturday's shows will rub off on us? 

Good luck to us all !

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1181 Posts
                            Posted: June 25, 2014, 8:45 am - IP Logged

I feel sorry for him simply because he did try to do the right thing initially. All the big mistakes he made, he made after he got back on drugs and I doubt if he would have relapsed again had it not been for his wife. After she started using again he sent her to rehab a couple of times. When it was clear that she wasn't going to get her act together, he kicked her out. He didn't want the drugs around him, since he was an ex addict, and he didn't want the drugs around his daughter. I think up to that point, he had his head in the right place.

The turning point was when she begged him to take her back. He did and that was the beginning of the end, because when she started using again, this time he started using with her. And that's when he hooked up with that new shady advisor who had him make a bunch of crappy investments and purchases. He and the wife were always high and the daughter had to call the cops on them a bunch of times.

I think whenever an addict or an ex-addict wins the lottery, the result is always the same. They go back to using and they blow all their money on drugs. But the reason I have sympathy for David is because it appears he tried really hard not to slide. Between putting the wife in rehab and then kicking her out, he made an effort to stay on the right path. I don't think Jack Whitaker ever put his granddaughter in rehab or put his foot down to get her to stop. And that's why I find it ironic that David died alone and broke, in part because of his wife, and that the wife moved on to husband #2 and got on with her life. Go figure.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                              USA
                              United States
                              Member #152799
                              February 25, 2014
                              1090 Posts
                              Posted: June 25, 2014, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

The $27 million was after taxes (cash value before tax was $41.6 million). David Edwards actually split a $295 million jackpot 4-ways. I am somewhat surprised that the media didn't boast about him winning $295 million or even the true pre-tax portion of $73.75 million.

His financial advisor wanted him to put aside $2 million for a home, cars and pretty much anything else he wanted to do and let him invest the $25 million balance. 

The adviser had told him he could get 85k EACH month for the rest of his life without touching the principal had he chosen to invest his money ( which believe it or not only amounted to a 4% annualized return). I think it's pretty safe to say that most of the folks here on LP would have taken that option.