Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TLC The Lottery Changed My Life...on again

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 2 years ago by lejardin.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1186 Posts
Posted: June 21, 2014, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

The house hunt was fake , they had no intention of buying any of those houses.I remember someone who knows them saying that the producers ask them to film doing lavish things.   I think it was also mention that they have financial advisors and are very careful about how much they spend.

Its not entertaining people talking about their real boring life, everyone wants to see the extravagant and reckless people. So the producers encourage them to play it up for the cameras.

Cynthia is different because she is in Hollywood has a kept husband, multiple children and has a sister who is always trying to talk badly about her. Her money won't last if she tries to keep up with other Hollywood people .At least she has educational trusts for the children set.

Oh yeah, I heard about the sister. That she's destitute and never saw a dime of the money. She said Cynthia had been unemployed and a heartbeat away from losing her home, that the father and brother gave her money for food and that Cynthia used part of the money to buy those lottery tickets so that's why she split the money with them. Don't know if it's true but that's the rumor.

Glad to know the gay couple weren't really being that crazy with the money. The "Just Jack" one was very convincing.

Personally, I'll spot Cynthia two more years. If she isn't broke in the next two years then we'll know for sure that all those extravagant shopping excursions were all for show.  With 5 kids and 7 years of her big spending, not to mention all the large donations she is fond of making, that $20 million should have been gone already, if she doesn't file bankruptcy in the next two years then she punked us all.

Atlanta georgia
    United States
    Member #156237
    June 12, 2014
    2 Posts
    Posted: June 21, 2014, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Lanre, took down his relationship status from married to blank recently and he is a hangaround with A and B listers, Ben Affleck, Quentin Tarintino, etc... Yet you can count the photos of himself with his wife or of his wife at all with the fingers on one hand. The last pic of them together was in March. Posted a link but that stupid warning came up. 

Trust me, he is doing quite well for himself not to mention being a leader in Team Beachbody. Anyway there are several interviews online about her production company and every film she's ever done flopped abysmally. Her next work was a film called Seedless by Temi Ojo.  There is a website up and all but she last did an interview about it two years ago and it hasn't been released yet. She also has an entertainment/gaming company but so far as I know there haven't been any releases. Her personal website has been down for weeks and she hasn't updated her twitter of fb pages in almost a year.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4806 Posts
      Posted: June 21, 2014, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Cynthia Stafford always had that "I can be famous now!" gleam which concerned me. She relishes the attention.  I think the oldest kids are in their 20's now and the other two are near to HS graduation age wise(based on what I googled). I hope she does not raid their education funds. You cannot get your purpose in life and self esteem from spending money.

The guy who had the bag full of letters asking for money seems to have a lot of good common sense.

J'aime La France.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
        Member #118609
        November 4, 2011
        939 Posts
        Posted: June 21, 2014, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

These are interesting stories about Cynthia Stafford I hadnt heard or read about.  Why someone who wins the lottery want to be famous is beyonf me.  If I was lucky enough to win I would do everything I could to fade into the background and not be found or heard from.

Thanks for the new info/updates.  I enjoyed watching the Morrisons and seeing their beautiful home this morning on TLCML.  Anybody else watch again or have favorites?

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1186 Posts
          Posted: June 22, 2014, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Lanre, took down his relationship status from married to blank recently and he is a hangaround with A and B listers, Ben Affleck, Quentin Tarintino, etc... Yet you can count the photos of himself with his wife or of his wife at all with the fingers on one hand. The last pic of them together was in March. Posted a link but that stupid warning came up. 

Trust me, he is doing quite well for himself not to mention being a leader in Team Beachbody. Anyway there are several interviews online about her production company and every film she's ever done flopped abysmally. Her next work was a film called Seedless by Temi Ojo.  There is a website up and all but she last did an interview about it two years ago and it hasn't been released yet. She also has an entertainment/gaming company but so far as I know there haven't been any releases. Her personal website has been down for weeks and she hasn't updated her twitter of fb pages in almost a year.

Lanre surprised me. I figured he was going to ride the CS gravy train until the money ran out or until he found a wealthier woman. He's well educated and shrewd so I thought that he'd do whatever it took to keep that relationship going. 

When I found out that she had backed The Brass Teapot I thought, okay, she's finally starting to make a mark because that movie had gotten a lot of buzz in the Indie circuit. But after that it seemed she went backwards, making those crappy horror flicks that no one watches. Then after declaring she wants to be successful enough to be known as the billion dollar woman, everything came to a screeching halt. 

If she does lose it all, I might actually feel sorry for her. With all the media blitzes she did and all the showing off, her fall will be very long and very public.

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1186 Posts
            Posted: June 22, 2014, 9:35 am - IP Logged

These are interesting stories about Cynthia Stafford I hadnt heard or read about.  Why someone who wins the lottery want to be famous is beyonf me.  If I was lucky enough to win I would do everything I could to fade into the background and not be found or heard from.

Thanks for the new info/updates.  I enjoyed watching the Morrisons and seeing their beautiful home this morning on TLCML.  Anybody else watch again or have favorites?

I had forgotten about that Texas couple, and what surprised me was that the Tee Pee Motel seems to have been a good investment. It's still going strong and the reviews are almost all positive. I'd never heard of a Tee Pee motel before and I had thought he was nuts. Go figure. But he needs to stop blaming the house reno on his wife's stroke. They both need to get healthy and lose some serious weight or else not blame any health issues on the win.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4806 Posts
              Posted: June 22, 2014, 10:17 am - IP Logged

I had forgotten about that Texas couple, and what surprised me was that the Tee Pee Motel seems to have been a good investment. It's still going strong and the reviews are almost all positive. I'd never heard of a Tee Pee motel before and I had thought he was nuts. Go figure. But he needs to stop blaming the house reno on his wife's stroke. They both need to get healthy and lose some serious weight or else not blame any health issues on the win.

I am glad the Tee Pee couple did well. It was a very creative idea but it sounds like they also did their business/industry homework if they are still in business.

J'aime La France.

boston,ma
                United States
                Member #150102
                December 15, 2013
                112 Posts
                Posted: June 22, 2014, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Yes, I felt the same way about the tee pee motel. I saw that and thought it was a waste of money,but he's getting his money yearly so he won't be going broke anytime soon. This was my first time seeing the doorman episode and i found it very interesting. Also, the woman who won the P.C.H sweepstakes for $5,000.00 a week for life was nice, but they kept calling her a millionaire, she's not. She gets 240,000 a year before taxes and since it's P.C.H i'm sure they're taking out gigantic fees(i.e, you win a million, you end up with 260,000) and she will end up with far less than that. Then showing up at HDQT in a limo with a fur coat, I was like really? I like watching the show, but i feel they sometimes go overboard. Like many of their winners are people who win 1,000,000 dollars, but if you watch the show they make it seem like they've won multi-millions. Living in Mass. if i won a million dollar scratch ticket, i would have 650,000.00 before taxes and after taxes around 400,000. That's enough to put 100K in the bank for each daughter and then pay off one of my house loans, leaving me with $120,000. That's going to be for me and my wife to travel a little bit and buy a car for me and her. Life will be easier definitely but life changing, I guess so but only to a point. I'll still be living the same house, same friends, same job so not to much life changing.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                  USA
                  United States
                  Member #152799
                  February 25, 2014
                  1094 Posts
                  Posted: June 22, 2014, 11:43 am - IP Logged

What most people don't realize is that Cynthia Stafford split a pre-tax cash payout of about $67 million 3 ways with her father and brother. The after tax amount for each was approximately $14 million each which is a far cry from the $112 million that TLC loves to boast about. Her production company has only bled money and I highly doubt the new gaming business she opened will do any better. I feel sorry for her as I don't think she has any clue about business or investing. An update on her in the next 2-3 years won't be positive.

One of my favorite episodes was Kim Haggarty who won $27 million in the Colorado lottery which was paid out as a 25 year annuity giving her $530k yearly after taxes until 2017. According to news release, she owned a restaurant which was just closed in April of this year and opened a music bar in May, 2014. I like her because she was only 22 years old when she won and hasn't squandered her money while enjoying life, getting married and raising 3 children who all work for her.

USA
                    United States
                    Member #152799
                    February 25, 2014
                    1094 Posts
                    Posted: June 22, 2014, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I am glad the Tee Pee couple did well. It was a very creative idea but it sounds like they also did their business/industry homework if they are still in business.

It appears the Tee Pee motel is still doing well, the initial cost was only 60k but they spent another 1.6 million renovating the property. Bryon Woods and his wife expanded the operation by recently adding an RV park as well.

I think his prize is paid as an annuity of roughly 2 million for 23 years before taxes.

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1186 Posts
                      Posted: June 22, 2014, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I felt the same way about the tee pee motel. I saw that and thought it was a waste of money,but he's getting his money yearly so he won't be going broke anytime soon. This was my first time seeing the doorman episode and i found it very interesting. Also, the woman who won the P.C.H sweepstakes for $5,000.00 a week for life was nice, but they kept calling her a millionaire, she's not. She gets 240,000 a year before taxes and since it's P.C.H i'm sure they're taking out gigantic fees(i.e, you win a million, you end up with 260,000) and she will end up with far less than that. Then showing up at HDQT in a limo with a fur coat, I was like really? I like watching the show, but i feel they sometimes go overboard. Like many of their winners are people who win 1,000,000 dollars, but if you watch the show they make it seem like they've won multi-millions. Living in Mass. if i won a million dollar scratch ticket, i would have 650,000.00 before taxes and after taxes around 400,000. That's enough to put 100K in the bank for each daughter and then pay off one of my house loans, leaving me with $120,000. That's going to be for me and my wife to travel a little bit and buy a car for me and her. Life will be easier definitely but life changing, I guess so but only to a point. I'll still be living the same house, same friends, same job so not to much life changing.

True, but I get the feeling that TLCML was created for the sole purpose of providing free positive publicity for the lotteries, sorta like Undercover Boss is free publicity for whichever company gets involved. TLCML seems less about reality and more about perpetuating the lottery fantasy. Even their so-called dark side of winning the lottery segments are glossed over; the focus is all about the high life with the winners itemizing all the things they could buy if they wanted to. Sure they could buy those things but they wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep.

Joe Blow watching TLCML only sees the millionaire lifestyle, not the reality of needing to manage that money. TLCML encourages the average person to play the lottery and to spend and show off as much as possible when they win. Those Frick idiots are a perfect example.

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1186 Posts
                        Posted: June 22, 2014, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

What most people don't realize is that Cynthia Stafford split a pre-tax cash payout of about $67 million 3 ways with her father and brother. The after tax amount for each was approximately $14 million each which is a far cry from the $112 million that TLC loves to boast about. Her production company has only bled money and I highly doubt the new gaming business she opened will do any better. I feel sorry for her as I don't think she has any clue about business or investing. An update on her in the next 2-3 years won't be positive.

One of my favorite episodes was Kim Haggarty who won $27 million in the Colorado lottery which was paid out as a 25 year annuity giving her $530k yearly after taxes until 2017. According to news release, she owned a restaurant which was just closed in April of this year and opened a music bar in May, 2014. I like her because she was only 22 years old when she won and hasn't squandered her money while enjoying life, getting married and raising 3 children who all work for her.

I think the $67 million was after taxes. It's been reported that they each netted around $21 million. In any case, she's big on pretending the $112 million was all hers.

Lanre claimed that they always get their money out first so that it minimized their losses allowing Queen Nefertari to remain financially fit even though their movies hadn't performed well. I don't really believe that, but that's what he was spinning. 

Sorry to hear Kim's restaurant closed. I know she started it to have something to leave her children. Hopefully the music bar does better. That other lottery winner who opened a music bar ended up losing the money he invested and got into a lawsuit over it.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                          Member #118609
                          November 4, 2011
                          939 Posts
                          Posted: June 22, 2014, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

wow you are all well informed, thanks for the updates.  I didnt know half of what you posted.  The guy that had the bar.....lost his investment and into a lawsuit, yikes.  But then remember he found "true love" in a young girl half his age, that was such a mismatched couple ,any bets they are still together? 

Kim's restaurant closing is sad but she is still going so cant fault her for that especially inthis economy.

First impression of tee pee motel I thot no way, tells you how much I know lol.

I realize tlc wants to exploit and show living large but I highly doubt the winners live now as they were shown.  After the newness wears off It is back to somewhat normal, whatever normal is with a life changing win lol.  That is why I would like to see some of these winners on an update to see how they are living.

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1186 Posts
                            Posted: June 23, 2014, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

wow you are all well informed, thanks for the updates.  I didnt know half of what you posted.  The guy that had the bar.....lost his investment and into a lawsuit, yikes.  But then remember he found "true love" in a young girl half his age, that was such a mismatched couple ,any bets they are still together? 

Kim's restaurant closing is sad but she is still going so cant fault her for that especially inthis economy.

First impression of tee pee motel I thot no way, tells you how much I know lol.

I realize tlc wants to exploit and show living large but I highly doubt the winners live now as they were shown.  After the newness wears off It is back to somewhat normal, whatever normal is with a life changing win lol.  That is why I would like to see some of these winners on an update to see how they are living.

LOL. Not really. Whenever I catch an old episode of TLCML that I haven't seen in a while, I do a Google search on the winners or their businesses.

The guy didn't lose the bar because of a lawsuit, he and his partners had issues and he was sued by a third entity over a contract breach or something to that effect, so that dream he had didn't materialize. No idea what happened to the young fiancee he had and I can find no evidence that he went broke or bankrupt, just that the music bar did.

I had thought the tee pee motel was a terrible idea too and that he was nuts. Especially considering it was located in nowhere of any tourist significance. But I looked it up on Saturday and even though their website wasn't functioning well, the reviews on Tripadvisor and Yelp were mainly positive. Seems kids enjoy the novelty and Having an RV park on the grounds provides extra income. He knew what he was doing.

As for TLC, even the winners they show that are years into their win, they try to show as being big spenders. They have them shopping for items the winners have no intention of buying. It's fake reality. But that's what gets the viewers interested so it is what it is. I think Cynthia is the only one they did a follow-up on and she was even more mercenary than in the original episode.

USA
                              United States
                              Member #152799
                              February 25, 2014
                              1094 Posts
                              Posted: June 23, 2014, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I think the $67 million was after taxes. It's been reported that they each netted around $21 million. In any case, she's big on pretending the $112 million was all hers.

Lanre claimed that they always get their money out first so that it minimized their losses allowing Queen Nefertari to remain financially fit even though their movies hadn't performed well. I don't really believe that, but that's what he was spinning. 

Sorry to hear Kim's restaurant closed. I know she started it to have something to leave her children. Hopefully the music bar does better. That other lottery winner who opened a music bar ended up losing the money he invested and got into a lawsuit over it.

Todd has referenced the $67 million pre-tax amount several times in different articles. The report of each netting around $21 million is false. The true net amount is closer to $14 million.

www.lotterypost.com/news/211684

I do agree with you that she is a big pretender and I don't believe anything that Lanre says as all he saw in Cynthia was a money train that he was anxious to board.