Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you having problems??

Topic closed. 71 replies. Last post 2 years ago by SergeM.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23261 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2014, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Good info Todd!!!  I can vouch for the 4th DO on the list. I had that problem the last weekend of June and then again toward the end of July. Every thing worked fine in Chrome but nothing worked at all worked in IE or Google. I took my laptop to the geek squad, it was definitely corrupted. Not sure how it got that way though...

Good move bringing it to the Geek Squad -- another good option for people with messed up PCs.  I imagine they could help people upgrade their Windows version too, if someone needed help with that.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2014, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

I already wrote about this about two months ago or less, not sure. But eventually I figured what the problem was. I installed the latest version of I.E. and it gave me trouble on LP only. I then opened Chrome and LP ran smoothly. So out of curiosity I uninstalled the latest version of I.E. and installed an earlier version, and it ran smoothly. I still use Chrome as the primary, much faster. Now I only use I.E. for some things that Chrome lacks.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
      JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
      Member #141034
      April 2, 2013
      1408 Posts
      Posted: August 17, 2014, 2:17 am - IP Logged

I sincerely hope people do not confuse the browser with the operating system.  IE 8.x.xxx ....11.x.xxx are internet explorer browsers. Windows Vista, xp, 7, 8 etc are operating systems. I hope this clears it up a bit for people who might have mistaken the browser designations for operating systems and vice versa because I was talking about browsers not operating systems.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
        JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
        Member #141034
        April 2, 2013
        1408 Posts
        Posted: August 17, 2014, 2:28 am - IP Logged

Just so you folks know, Windows 8.1 is not buggy at all, and in fact runs Lottery Post better than any other Windows version out there.  This is a classic case of hysteria made up by people who are not technically savvy, and attribute problems caused by installing a million bad software apps to Windows.

If you're having trouble, it is most likely because you installed a bunch of crap on your PC that is mucking up your web browser.  Lottery Post has not been changed recently (so I'm not sure what "since the update" means), and is constantly tested on a variety of platforms going all the way down to Windows XP with IE8.

My recommendations:

• DO NOT mess with your registry.  DO NOT install any registry cleaners.  Those will corrupt your system for the most part.
        • DO uninstall programs you do not use, or that you have no idea how they got installed.  Open your Windows Control Panel, click on "Uninstall a program" (or whatever the proper terminology is for your version of Windows), and go through the list of installed software, uninstalling all the toolbars, games, and other crap that you have installed and don't use.
        • DO go into the Manage add-ons section of Internet Explorer and Disable all the add-ons that you don't use.  There will probably be a lot of them under "Toolbars and extensions".  The more you can disable, the better.
        • DO clear your cache if you are experiencing text editor problems.  There are instructions for this in the Help forum.
        • DO NOT clear cookies.  The ONLY time you need to clear cookies is if you are experiencing a Log In problem, or if you can't get your private message light to go off.
        • DO try a different Web browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox.  If the page works in a different Web browser but does not work in Internet Explorer (IE), then the problem is that your Internet Explorer is corrupted -- probably by all the junk you have installed, or maybe because you installed a bunch of Internet security software and it's blocking important stuff that makes the web pages work.
        • DO upgrade to Windows 8.1.  It makes older computers FASTER and BETTER.  Do not listen to people who saying Windows 8.1 is some horrible monstrosity.  They don't know what they are talking about.  Learn how to use the new Windows, rather than being stuck in an old version that is going to eventually fail and be completely outmoded.  If you don't know how to upgrade Windows, look into buying a new computer.  These days you can get a good cheap laptop for a few hundred dollars.
        • DO run Windows Update every week to see if there are new software updates to install.  ALWAYS immediately install all the updates that are available.  Be prepared to reboot.  If you don't even know what Windows Update is, then your computer is probably in bad shape.  GOOGLE IT AND LEARN.
        • DO always upgrade Internet Explorer to the latest version that your computer is capable of running.  For Windows XP, that is IE 8.  For Windows Vista, that is IE 9.  For Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, that is IE 11.  If you're not sure what version you're running, click the "gear" icon in the upper-right, and click About Internet Explorer.  Be sure "Install new versions automatically" is checkmarked, if that option is available in your version of IE.

There are certainly times when Lottery Post is unresponsive for 30 seconds or a minute, or maybe as much as 10 minutes.  EVERY website has SOME downtime.  It is unavoidable, because at some points the Internet itself has issues, or maybe I have to install some security updates or Website updates.

But these small blips of downtime are not every day, and only for a very short time.  I have monitoring software constantly running, so I know exactly when and how long it goes down.  The latest statistics are that from Jan. 1, 2014 until today, Lottery Post has been up 99.86% of the time.  Much of the downtime in that number (the 0.14% of downtime) has been completely out of my hands -- caused by Internet outages and the like.

I am sure that some people will continue to blame Lottery Post for their problems, no matter how much I describe these things in great detail.  But hopefully most of you will use this to understand that the vast majority of problems are right on your own PC, and this information will help to find and eliminate those problems.

IE..8.x.xxx..browser, Windows..8.x...operating system.  Hmmmm, I can see how those designations can be sometimes confusing.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

BigDMike's avatar - Money 20City_zpsfnsebmis.jpg

Antarctica
          Member #134465
          October 28, 2012
          1021 Posts
          Posted: August 17, 2014, 3:36 am - IP Logged

I already wrote about this about two months ago or less, not sure. But eventually I figured what the problem was. I installed the latest version of I.E. and it gave me trouble on LP only. I then opened Chrome and LP ran smoothly. So out of curiosity I uninstalled the latest version of I.E. and installed an earlier version, and it ran smoothly. I still use Chrome as the primary, much faster. Now I only use I.E. for some things that Chrome lacks.

I believe it.  I stopped having all kinds of  computer issues when I stopped using IE a few years back.  In my experience...IE = Stress. 

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
            Member #153629
            March 20, 2014
            128 Posts
            Posted: August 17, 2014, 7:13 am - IP Logged

If you have Java installed, ALWAYS do the update, immediately.  They have been putting out a lot of Java updates recently, so everyone sees that, not just you.  Just keep updating it.

The only bad thing about the updater is that every time it tries to install a toolbar and change your search provider to "Ask.com".  Don't let it!  It is very difficult to get all that stuff out of your system once it's installed.  Just remember every time to un-check the checkbox for "Ask.com" (or whatever else they put in there).

Edit:  By the way, you do not need Java installed, so you can uninstall it.  There should be an uninstall option in the Control Panel for it (click "Uninstall a program" in Control Panel.). Keep in mind that if you happen to use software that relies on Java, you can't use it once it is uninstalled.

Actually Todd i disagree. If you have started gotten trouble with Java, an update won' t help. Clean reinstall is much better. I agree that java isnt always needed. For some sites its needed, like our swedish taxdeclaration site...

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
              Connecticut
              United States
              Member #61623
              May 29, 2008
              20581 Posts
              Posted: August 17, 2014, 7:16 am - IP Logged

"A problem with this webpage caused I.E to close and reopen"....all day every day.This just started happening about a month ago too

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23261 Posts
                Posted: August 17, 2014, 7:51 am - IP Logged

"A problem with this webpage caused I.E to close and reopen"....all day every day.This just started happening about a month ago too

Again, that is probably something you installed causing the problem.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23261 Posts
                  Posted: August 17, 2014, 7:53 am - IP Logged

Actually Todd i disagree. If you have started gotten trouble with Java, an update won' t help. Clean reinstall is much better. I agree that java isnt always needed. For some sites its needed, like our swedish taxdeclaration site...

I never said that somebody got into trouble with Java.  I said that as soon as you're notified of an update you should always immediately perform the upgrade.  It takes just a minute or two.  I'm not sure how you can possibly disagree with that.  People who wait on updates to Java are putting themselves at risk.

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23261 Posts
                    Posted: August 17, 2014, 7:55 am - IP Logged

I believe it.  I stopped having all kinds of  computer issues when I stopped using IE a few years back.  In my experience...IE = Stress. 

I agree, but IE has gotten a lot better recently.  IE11 is very good, and Microsoft continues to make good decisions on their browser development, so I'm expecting the next version to be even better.  Choice is good!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3103 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2014, 8:25 am - IP Logged

Using win xp ie 8 after some time on LP I get this message:

To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors, Click here for options , , ,
                      Options:
                      Display Blocked Content
                      What's the Risk?
                      Information Help Bar

I've noticed when you have several browsers java may only update some of them, and Todd is right uncheck the boxes to make ask your home page and too add a task bar.

BobP

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23261 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2014, 8:29 am - IP Logged

Using win xp ie 8 after some time on LP I get this message:

To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors, Click here for options , , ,
                        Options:
                        Display Blocked Content
                        What's the Risk?
                        Information Help Bar

I've noticed when you have several browsers java may only update some of them, and Todd is right uncheck the boxes to make ask your home page and too add a task bar.

BobP

If you stick with Windows XP and IE8 you will see those error messages more and more.  Microsoft could not have made things more clear that they do not support Windows XP any more, and that you should not be using it.

The technology behind secure websites continues to change, but Windows XP and IE8 are not being changed with the new features.  If you insist on keeping it, you will have to cope with annoying error messages and glitches.

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                          Member #153629
                          March 20, 2014
                          128 Posts
                          Posted: August 17, 2014, 10:16 am - IP Logged

I never said that somebody got into trouble with Java.  I said that as soon as you're notified of an update you should always immediately perform the upgrade.  It takes just a minute or two.  I'm not sure how you can possibly disagree with that.  People who wait on updates to Java are putting themselves at risk.

I agree with you, just wanted to clarify that updates wont always solve problems with java or other programs. You recommended to always install updates regulary which I agree, but if the topic creator had this troubles with java already I would suggest to start Java all over again. Toolbars I say is the most common problem people have with computers. Never install any toolbar is an easy way to avoid troubles.

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23261 Posts
                            Posted: August 17, 2014, 10:59 am - IP Logged

I agree with you, just wanted to clarify that updates wont always solve problems with java or other programs. You recommended to always install updates regulary which I agree, but if the topic creator had this troubles with java already I would suggest to start Java all over again. Toolbars I say is the most common problem people have with computers. Never install any toolbar is an easy way to avoid troubles.

I wish IE had a feature to purposely block the installation of any toolbar or browser extension.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                              Jacksonville Florida
                              United States
                              Member #23018
                              October 6, 2005
                              916 Posts
                              Posted: August 17, 2014, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

One thing that will make a dramatic difference in the speed and efficiency of most computers (the older the computer, usually the more dramatic the difference) is to do a complete reformat and reinstall of everything. This is the only 100% effective way to rid a computer of all viruses, spyware, adware, and other malicious junk that accumulates over time. In some cases this is the only thing that will completely "clean" a PC, since you will be erasing everything on the hard drive(s). Also in many cases, even though this will take some time to do, it is quicker than fooling around with trying to fix software problems or viruses over and over only to rediscover the problems keep re-appearing which can be very annoying and frustrating.

This is not a simple 15-minute fix but once done it will restore everything to the way it was when the computer was new which is usually much quicker and more reliable once updates are installed. When finished, things that quit working start working again and most computers are more snappy and responsive.

If you want to do this, here are some important points to remember:

1 - Before starting, BACK UP EVERYTHING you want to keep (documents, photos, music, videos, etc). This is a great time to go through all your files and get rid of junk you don't want. YOU SHOULD BE BACKING UP IMPORTANT THINGS ANYWAY, but this is a great time to start if you haven't been doing regular backups.
                              2 - You must have the original software CDs/DVDs that came with the computer, or a legitimate copy with product registration codes/keys of the operating system and any programs you want to reinstall (most software these days can be downloaded for free, but you MUST have the product registration codes/keys to properly set them up and use them). If you have upgraded some programs over time, you must also have the product registration codes/keys to the updates as well, if required by the program to activate the update. If you do not have the product registration codes/keys you may have to re-purchase the software.
                              3 - It is important to update ANY reinstalled software, including the operating system, to current versions/updates.
                              4 - This project can take several hours or even longer depending on the situation.

After everything is done, ALWAYS have a good antivirus program running. In addition, a program like Malwarebytes (they have a free version) is also good to have installed.

IMPORTANT: If you are not comfortable doing this on your own, you can always take the computer in to a reliable pc repair place. Even if you take the computer in, be sure to make backups of your important files BEFORE you take it in.

An additional note on virus/adware/spyware removal programs: The legitimate brand named ones do work some of the time and may be worth a try first. However, they probably won't restore the new/out-of-the-box speed and efficiency described above. Also, some viruses that are seemingly removed by these programs re-appear because there was a remnant of the virus not removed. In these cases the only way to get rid of them is the complete reformat/erase reinstall route...