Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you having problems??

Topic closed. 71 replies. Last post 2 years ago by SergeM.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
NY
United States
Member #121961
January 21, 2012
3159 Posts
Posted: August 17, 2014, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Computer-no problems-i use chrome-windows sucks

Phone-also use chrome but sometimes i click on something under "General discussion", and it brings me to the LP home screen. It's probably due to one of AT&T or Samsungs crappy updates.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3112 Posts
    Posted: August 18, 2014, 7:53 am - IP Logged

It is certainly possible for you to only see some problems on Lottery Post.  This site uses some very advanced technology, and if you don't tend to use advanced websites often, you may only come across certain incompatibilities with older web browsers here.

If you have a Windows 7 computer, I would question why you would ever choose to use Win XP for browsing the Internet.  Even if you happen to have some software that only runs on Windows XP, I would still not conduct my web browsing on that insecure operating system, given the choice. 

Also, I doubt there is any software that will run on Windows 7 that you cannot run on Windows 8.  Microsoft has even come out and said that compatibility is nearly 100%.

BTW, me being a "computer genius" (your words) does not make anything I have said particularly challenging or complicated for anyone of any technical abilities.  I just have a great deal of knowledge about this subject, and I am attempting to share it with you and others to help you.  The information may be different than what you may have heard casually from others.  Do not take it as an attack or threat.  It is meant to enlighten and assist only.

Frankly I doubt whether even a look at the back end would tell me if a site is advanced or not.  Not kidding when I ask if ebay is an advanced site or dumbed down for all browsers?   The most advanced sites I own in the sense of newest are child themes on wordpress, up to date but not what I'd consider advanced, but I wouldn't know.  You program, my stuff is store bought plugins.   

Sorry if I was confusing, my win7 machine is clean, only win7 is preinstalled on the drive and whatever freebies they included.  My win xp machine is almost full about 350 gigs across two drives in ABCDEFG with dvds on H and I.  I ran a program from windows that said I can't upgrade xp to 7 or 8, must be wiped clean, that's why I bought a preloaded win 7 machine.  I also read win 8 is 64 bit only, that's why I need win 7 to run 32 bit otherwise I have to give up or replace a lot of old software mostly lotto I don't use often enough to buy again or are no longer supported, but not prepared to toss in the trash. 

I've tried making full backups to dvd they stall on the transistion to the second drive.  Have a new 1 TB backup drive I plan to use to transfer, hard to find the time with some issue coming up almost daily and I forgot half of what i'm going to need to do . . .

Computer genuis, in this pond very likely.  Wait 20 years, it will all be more challenging. 

BobP

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23345 Posts
      Posted: August 18, 2014, 8:20 am - IP Logged

Frankly I doubt whether even a look at the back end would tell me if a site is advanced or not.  Not kidding when I ask if ebay is an advanced site or dumbed down for all browsers?   The most advanced sites I own in the sense of newest are child themes on wordpress, up to date but not what I'd consider advanced, but I wouldn't know.  You program, my stuff is store bought plugins.   

Sorry if I was confusing, my win7 machine is clean, only win7 is preinstalled on the drive and whatever freebies they included.  My win xp machine is almost full about 350 gigs across two drives in ABCDEFG with dvds on H and I.  I ran a program from windows that said I can't upgrade xp to 7 or 8, must be wiped clean, that's why I bought a preloaded win 7 machine.  I also read win 8 is 64 bit only, that's why I need win 7 to run 32 bit otherwise I have to give up or replace a lot of old software mostly lotto I don't use often enough to buy again or are no longer supported, but not prepared to toss in the trash. 

I've tried making full backups to dvd they stall on the transistion to the second drive.  Have a new 1 TB backup drive I plan to use to transfer, hard to find the time with some issue coming up almost daily and I forgot half of what i'm going to need to do . . .

Computer genuis, in this pond very likely.  Wait 20 years, it will all be more challenging. 

BobP

BobP, the reason it is saying you must do a clean install is certainly because you're trying to install a 64-bit version of Windows 7.  Also, to do an upgrade I believe you have to start the install from within Windows -- not boot from the install disc or USB stick.  Scratch that.  I looked it up and I guess Microsoft does not allow an upgrade from XP to Windows 7 that preserves your files and programs.  Here's a link to Microsoft's instructions:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7 

Windows 8 does come as a 32-bit version.  I have it running on a 32-bit Atom processor on a 7-inch Lenovo tablet.  Runs great.  (Atom processors are not as good as regular desktop PC processors.  They are what used to power the old tiny netbook computers.)

Windows 8 has many advantages, but the one I like most is the integrated OneDrive.  This stores your files and settings in the "cloud", so if you have to upgrade to another computer (or add a computer) in the future, all your files and settings are automatically transferred over.  It makes setting up a new PC a snap.  You simply store your files within folders you create in the OneDrive folder instead of creating a folder in the C: drive.  The files are still stored on your PC, but they are also synchronized to the Internet storage space Microsoft reserves for you.  (So the files are also backed up automatically.)  Your PC settings are automatically synchronized to OneDrive and you can control which settings are synchronized. 

When I said "advanced site" I was referring to all the stuff that runs within your web browser, not the stuff I have running on the Lottery Post servers.

For example, the text editor is much more powerful than what you will typically find on even the biggest and most popular forums on the Internet.  The ability to paste Excel spreadsheets into most other forums?  Good luck with that.  But I built Lottery Post that way because it's what people want.  And with all the power available, people don't focus on how great that is, they hammer me about how a tiny little thing doesn't work perfectly.

One answer is that I could strip out the powerful text editor and only keep the "Simple Codes" editor that people have the ability to switch to in the Account Settings page.  Would that be a better idea?  Maybe so.  I would certainly stop hearing complaints about icons or whatever. 

But you know what would really happen?  The 99% of the people who use the text editor every day without any problems would hate the fact that the 1% of the people who have crap installed in their browsers giving them problems caused me to take away an excellent feature of this website.  It would be great if the 99% spoke up and said everything was working great for them, but when stuff works people stay silent.

Regarding "computer genius in this pond", I'll ignore the slight and just say that I spend a lot of time every day training myself to ensure that I won't be a dinosaur today or in 20 years.  Again, I am writing this stuff to you and others to educate.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5744 Posts
        Posted: August 18, 2014, 8:36 am - IP Logged

BobP, the reason it is saying you must do a clean install is certainly because you're trying to install a 64-bit version of Windows 7.  Also, to do an upgrade I believe you have to start the install from within Windows -- not boot from the install disc or USB stick.  Scratch that.  I looked it up and I guess Microsoft does not allow an upgrade from XP to Windows 7 that preserves your files and programs.  Here's a link to Microsoft's instructions:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7 

Windows 8 does come as a 32-bit version.  I have it running on a 32-bit Atom processor on a 7-inch Lenovo tablet.  Runs great.  (Atom processors are not as good as regular desktop PC processors.  They are what used to power the old tiny netbook computers.)

Windows 8 has many advantages, but the one I like most is the integrated OneDrive.  This stores your files and settings in the "cloud", so if you have to upgrade to another computer (or add a computer) in the future, all your files and settings are automatically transferred over.  It makes setting up a new PC a snap.  You simply store your files within folders you create in the OneDrive folder instead of creating a folder in the C: drive.  The files are still stored on your PC, but they are also synchronized to the Internet storage space Microsoft reserves for you.  (So the files are also backed up automatically.)  Your PC settings are automatically synchronized to OneDrive and you can control which settings are synchronized. 

When I said "advanced site" I was referring to all the stuff that runs within your web browser, not the stuff I have running on the Lottery Post servers.

For example, the text editor is much more powerful than what you will typically find on even the biggest and most popular forums on the Internet.  The ability to paste Excel spreadsheets into most other forums?  Good luck with that.  But I built Lottery Post that way because it's what people want.  And with all the power available, people don't focus on how great that is, they hammer me about how a tiny little thing doesn't work perfectly.

One answer is that I could strip out the powerful text editor and only keep the "Simple Codes" editor that people have the ability to switch to in the Account Settings page.  Would that be a better idea?  Maybe so.  I would certainly stop hearing complaints about icons or whatever. 

But you know what would really happen?  The 99% of the people who use the text editor every day without any problems would hate the fact that the 1% of the people who have crap installed in their browsers giving them problems caused me to take away an excellent feature of this website.  It would be great if the 99% spoke up and said everything was working great for them, but when stuff works people stay silent.

Regarding "computer genius in this pond", I'll ignore the slight and just say that I spend a lot of time every day training myself to ensure that I won't be a dinosaur today or in 20 years.  Again, I am writing this stuff to you and others to educate.

I had to giggle at the 1% comment, Todd.

You know in these days, it's the MINORITY that seems to make the most noise over the small stuff.

I'm the most non tech person you will ever meet, have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I love coming on LP every day and I appreciate all the work behind the scenes you do.

Thank you.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23345 Posts
          Posted: August 18, 2014, 8:42 am - IP Logged

I had to giggle at the 1% comment, Todd.

You know in these days, it's the MINORITY that seems to make the most noise over the small stuff.

I'm the most non tech person you will ever meet, have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I love coming on LP every day and I appreciate all the work behind the scenes you do.

Thank you.

Lol, thanks.

Just for the record:  you were successfully able to change your avatar, you have your location properly set, and you were able to set a signature.  You are officially not the most non-tech person I've ever met.  Big Grin

DrMiracle's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcSZfr3g-6xRNhDA2-tgWdb5fVaacJgb_ybXvQWgy-qL1s6p
            MARYLAND
            United States
            Member #119884
            December 5, 2011
            1671 Posts
            Posted: August 18, 2014, 10:29 am - IP Logged

I am using laptop Win 8.1 with Opera Browser/firefox..LP Websites NO problem 

And also, I have   WinXP..10 year old desktop with Opera Browser/Firefox ...LP Websites NO problem

Overall, 

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up-IT update

Thumbs UpThumbs Up--LP Web Design

Thumbs Up--pair analysis

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up-search drawings

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up-Lottery System

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up-premium membership fees

kreative1's avatar - flower2
              NE PA
              United States
              Member #127838
              May 10, 2012
              1254 Posts
              Posted: August 18, 2014, 11:03 am - IP Logged

I don't see how it would help if everyone that doesn't have a problem posted on a post about having a problem...

I tried all your suggestions first before going back to ie 10

My first thought was the ads were loading fast and bouncing me or the 2 pages loading at the same time were doing it, but I'm not getting that now with ie10

I will reinstall ie11 at some point to see what happens but I don't feel it was a big deal to go back to the older one, from what I read it's better to wait a bit before installing newer versions just because they can have issues.

I'm not one to spend a few hundred on the next new and improved windows or laptop if there is a solution, especially for what I use it for.

It wasn't meant to be an attack on you or your site, it happened to be when my problem started and only on here since the upgrade..the text editor to me is minor...

With your response I highly doubt anyone else will post any issues and that's too bad...

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23345 Posts
                Posted: August 18, 2014, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I don't see how it would help if everyone that doesn't have a problem posted on a post about having a problem...

My first thought was the ads were loading fast and bouncing me or the 2 pages loading at the same time were doing it, but I'm not getting that now with ie10

I will reinstall ie11 at some point to see what happens but I don't feel it was a big deal to go back to the older one, from what I read it's better to wait a bit before installing newer versions just because they can have issues.

I'm not one to spend a few hundred on the next new and improved windows or laptop if there is a solution, especially for what I use it for.

It wasn't meant to be an attack on you or your site, it happened to be when my problem started and only on here since the upgrade..the text editor to me is minor...

With your response I highly doubt anyone else will post any issues and that's too bad...

Regarding your last sentence, people who can't handle straight talk will not respond well to my straight talk.  You're right, some people will give me hell for the smallest things, but then will cringe when I speak directly back to them about those things.  Welcome to the Internet.

MonEl's avatar - 24zd6s0

United States
                  Member #132100
                  August 26, 2012
                  1105 Posts
                  Posted: August 18, 2014, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

I still use a Windows XP operating system and I am using it right now, but I don't use Internet Explorer and I have no idea which version of it this particular computer has on it nor do I care, I don't find Internet Explorer so maybe I got rid of it, yes it is possible if you know how to, I use Firefox and right now I have version 27.0.1, I do update Firefox often, but not very often, it works good enough, so for those who still use WinXP maybe you would like to use Firefox.

As to Java, I think that this computer doesn't have it right now on it, because I can't find it on it.

But I do have Flash Player on it and it is one of the newer versions.

I find that WinXP still runs most software and together with Firefox works well enough for Internet browsing even here at the Lottery Post.

You do need to update Flash Player every so often if you like to look at videos at places such as UTube-YouTube.

I don't have problems with toolbars nor add-ons nor with viruses nor malware, because I now a little about such things, software and computers.

I used Win98SE for a very long time even here on the Lottery Post together with Firewfox and it worked well enough, it probably still would, but I don't know, WinXP and Firefox do work fine here at L.P. and also at most Internet sites, probably because of Firefox, it might be the browser that you use and not so much the operating system that you use.

You do need to use Java on some Internet sites and or with some software, but maybe for the most part you don't and probably the same with Internet Explorer.

kreative1's avatar - flower2
                    NE PA
                    United States
                    Member #127838
                    May 10, 2012
                    1254 Posts
                    Posted: August 18, 2014, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Regarding your last sentence, people who can't handle straight talk will not respond well to my straight talk.  You're right, some people will give me hell for the smallest things, but then will cringe when I speak directly back to them about those things.  Welcome to the Internet.

with 2500 plus views either people have been entertained with the debate or maybe having problems too

might I suggest adding an emoticon with zipped lips or duct tape over mouth and see how many post that

LOL

I also am a fan of windows xp, too bad it isn't supported anymore because I feel windows 7 is just vista in disguise and not that user friendly

Lkydeb*594's avatar - kissdollarbill
                      Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
                      Member #38062
                      April 23, 2006
                      12652 Posts
                      Posted: August 18, 2014, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Just so you folks know, Windows 8.1 is not buggy at all, and in fact runs Lottery Post better than any other Windows version out there.  This is a classic case of hysteria made up by people who are not technically savvy, and attribute problems caused by installing a million bad software apps to Windows.

If you're having trouble, it is most likely because you installed a bunch of crap on your PC that is mucking up your web browser.  Lottery Post has not been changed recently (so I'm not sure what "since the update" means), and is constantly tested on a variety of platforms going all the way down to Windows XP with IE8.

My recommendations:

• DO NOT mess with your registry.  DO NOT install any registry cleaners.  Those will corrupt your system for the most part.
                      • DO uninstall programs you do not use, or that you have no idea how they got installed.  Open your Windows Control Panel, click on "Uninstall a program" (or whatever the proper terminology is for your version of Windows), and go through the list of installed software, uninstalling all the toolbars, games, and other crap that you have installed and don't use.
                      • DO go into the Manage add-ons section of Internet Explorer and Disable all the add-ons that you don't use.  There will probably be a lot of them under "Toolbars and extensions".  The more you can disable, the better.
                      • DO clear your cache if you are experiencing text editor problems.  There are instructions for this in the Help forum.
                      • DO NOT clear cookies.  The ONLY time you need to clear cookies is if you are experiencing a Log In problem, or if you can't get your private message light to go off.
                      • DO try a different Web browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox.  If the page works in a different Web browser but does not work in Internet Explorer (IE), then the problem is that your Internet Explorer is corrupted -- probably by all the junk you have installed, or maybe because you installed a bunch of Internet security software and it's blocking important stuff that makes the web pages work.
                      • DO upgrade to Windows 8.1.  It makes older computers FASTER and BETTER.  Do not listen to people who saying Windows 8.1 is some horrible monstrosity.  They don't know what they are talking about.  Learn how to use the new Windows, rather than being stuck in an old version that is going to eventually fail and be completely outmoded.  If you don't know how to upgrade Windows, look into buying a new computer.  These days you can get a good cheap laptop for a few hundred dollars.
                      • DO run Windows Update every week to see if there are new software updates to install.  ALWAYS immediately install all the updates that are available.  Be prepared to reboot.  If you don't even know what Windows Update is, then your computer is probably in bad shape.  GOOGLE IT AND LEARN.
                      • DO always upgrade Internet Explorer to the latest version that your computer is capable of running.  For Windows XP, that is IE 8.  For Windows Vista, that is IE 9.  For Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, that is IE 11.  If you're not sure what version you're running, click the "gear" icon in the upper-right, and click About Internet Explorer.  Be sure "Install new versions automatically" is checkmarked, if that option is available in your version of IE.

There are certainly times when Lottery Post is unresponsive for 30 seconds or a minute, or maybe as much as 10 minutes.  EVERY website has SOME downtime.  It is unavoidable, because at some points the Internet itself has issues, or maybe I have to install some security updates or Website updates.

But these small blips of downtime are not every day, and only for a very short time.  I have monitoring software constantly running, so I know exactly when and how long it goes down.  The latest statistics are that from Jan. 1, 2014 until today, Lottery Post has been up 99.86% of the time.  Much of the downtime in that number (the 0.14% of downtime) has been completely out of my hands -- caused by Internet outages and the like.

I am sure that some people will continue to blame Lottery Post for their problems, no matter how much I describe these things in great detail.  But hopefully most of you will use this to understand that the vast majority of problems are right on your own PC, and this information will help to find and eliminate those problems.

Wow Todd! Very nice of u to take the time & explain as most people are not savvy techs. I spend a lot of time reading & learning over the years & still do as the technolgies keep changing. I just bought a brand new HP laptop windows 8.1. Everything was going wrong. So I read & read & read. I fixed a few things that was causing my pc to go nuts.  #1, I propped my laptop up off the service of the table so air can ventilate at the bottom-results: no more heating up. #2 pc touch screen is so sensitive that u cannot even have a small air movement that it was causing the browsers to shake & go in & out like a magnifying glass. Mouse to appear & disappear.  Solution- turn the touch screen off. #3 if u don't like Microsoft outlook because of security settings, forward your e-mail to an alternate mailbox, not outlook but do not close your outlook mailbox until u stop receiving new e-mails for a month. Keep it if u r nunning a business. I tried IE 11 but I do not like the set up. I love Google Chrome. So I use Gmail.  My pc is running brand new & fast again. 

Now, after reading this line from u, DO NOT USE REGISTRY CLEANERS. That caught my attention & it made perfect sense. Sense u have to keep your website clean & running smooth, do u care to explain to me how to clean up errors & registrys safely?

Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
                        Member #38062
                        April 23, 2006
                        12652 Posts
                        Posted: August 18, 2014, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I took care of my ads. Install Adfender. That is the best free adware block & removel that I have ever use on my pc. It's simple with 1 click & done!

Good luck!

Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
                          Member #38062
                          April 23, 2006
                          12652 Posts
                          Posted: August 18, 2014, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Also, I forgot to mention that now I just tried to use copy & paste here just now. It doesn't work on Chrome browser Even try the LP suggestion & that don't work too.  Frown

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23345 Posts
                            Posted: August 18, 2014, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Wow Todd! Very nice of u to take the time & explain as most people are not savvy techs. I spend a lot of time reading & learning over the years & still do as the technolgies keep changing. I just bought a brand new HP laptop windows 8.1. Everything was going wrong. So I read & read & read. I fixed a few things that was causing my pc to go nuts.  #1, I propped my laptop up off the service of the table so air can ventilate at the bottom-results: no more heating up. #2 pc touch screen is so sensitive that u cannot even have a small air movement that it was causing the browsers to shake & go in & out like a magnifying glass. Mouse to appear & disappear.  Solution- turn the touch screen off. #3 if u don't like Microsoft outlook because of security settings, forward your e-mail to an alternate mailbox, not outlook but do not close your outlook mailbox until u stop receiving new e-mails for a month. Keep it if u r nunning a business. I tried IE 11 but I do not like the set up. I love Google Chrome. So I use Gmail.  My pc is running brand new & fast again. 

Now, after reading this line from u, DO NOT USE REGISTRY CLEANERS. That caught my attention & it made perfect sense. Sense u have to keep your website clean & running smooth, do u care to explain to me how to clean up errors & registrys safely?

Several years ago I dabbled with registry cleaners.  At first I thought I was improving my PCs by eliminating old "garbage" from the registry, but it turned out not to be the case.  In reality, the registry -- even with excess stuff left in there from old programs that you may have removed -- is not really the cause of slow-downs.

This is another reason why Windows 8.1 is much better than older versions:  it gives you more tools to track down and stop stuff from hurting performance.

One of the best tools for doing this is the new Task Manager, which lets you view and disable all the programs that start automatically every time your PC starts.  There may be more stuff than you realize, and when you start disabling useless stuff, your PC startup and general performance is helped.

Some easy ways to open Task Manager:

• Right-click an empty space on the task bar at the bottom and select Task Manager from the popup menu
                            • Right-click the Windows button in the bottom-left corner and select Task Manager from the popup menu
                            • Hold down the Shift and Ctrl keys on your keyboard and press Esc (that's the quickest way to open it)

Once Task Manager is open, you may have to click the More Details button at the bottom to make all the features available.  You'll then notice a Startup tab at the top.  Click it and it will show you all the stuff that automatically loads when your computer starts.

Be particularly aware of startup programs that do not have a company name ("Publisher") listed next to them.  If you're not sure what something is, you can always right-click on the entry and click "Open File Location" to see the program it is trying to run.

I have probably 80% of my entries disabled.  They are mostly software updaters, registration reminders, and other miscellaneous junk.  The ones I keep enabled are the ones I'm sure I want to run -- like Google Chrome extensions, a sync engine I use, a backup manager for my computer to backup every night -- stuff like that.

Another thing you can try to cleanup old junk on your hard drive is the Disk Cleanup program that comes with Windows.  Press the Windows key on your keyboard and then just type "disk cleanup".  You should see the icon for Disk Cleanup appear, and you can click it to start the program.  Click the button for cleaning up system files, and then check all the boxes and clean everything.  The only thing you might want to keep is files from a previous upgrade of Windows.  But of course that will only show up if you upgraded Windows.  If you've already migrated all the files you want to keep, then delete that too.

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23345 Posts
                              Posted: August 18, 2014, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Also, I forgot to mention that now I just tried to use copy & paste here just now. It doesn't work on Chrome browser Even try the LP suggestion & that don't work too.  Frown

To use copy and paste in Chrome or Firefox, you need to use your keyboard:

• Ctrl + X = cut
                              • Ctrl + C = copy
                              • Ctrl + V = paste

That is a limitation of the web browsers, not Lottery Post.  It is a security feature that prevents web sites from accessing the contents of your clipboard.

The keypresses above work anywhere in Windows.  They are standard keypresses, not something unique to Lottery Post.